Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,597 members, 7,958,837 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 04:49 AM

Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? (8246 Views)

Third Mainland Suicide: The Woman At The Center Of The Story Speaks Out (Video) / When Robbers Attack You At ATM, Checkout This Escape Route / Kidnappers Abandon Victim As Truck Driver Blocks Their Escape Route (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by Nobody: 7:00am On Apr 14, 2017
Kayceenaz:

Dear friend, what does the term "coward" denote? One that is deficient of courage and needlessly gives in when a challenge springs up. This is exemplified in persons that opt for suicide (they run away) when life at some point frowns at them, hence their reference as cowards. This is indicative of what is and no fallacy! In fact, it is fallacious to assert that the said is a fallacy. More so, how certain are you that I've never been depressed? Are you me? Isn't it an error in reasoning to make such a hasty conclusion? Be the judge.

However, I still maintain that there is no necessary link between depression and suicide. The human person is no material or object; both are intrinsically different, so your analogy is misplaced. Not all depressed persons considered or committed suicide! Even when sucidal thoughts creep in, it must be kept at bay and hindered from translating to action. In times when life seems meaningless and despair holds sway, one can still find meaning if one looks in the direction of God Almighty and self-love for a second. Resorting to suicide portrays a very low self-esteem. Come to think of it, would considering or carrying out a suicidal action really remedy those problems confronting one? If it wouldn't, then it is unreasonable to kill oneself. The coward flees in the face of battle, whereas the gallant exhibits courage and remains optimistic as the fray continues. And history has success stories like Ben Carson, for instance, who rose from depression to a neurosurgeon par excellence. Therefore, depression is no excuse.

It appears to me that you might be mixing up being dissappointed with depression. While the former could lead to the latter, the latter is not always a direct consequent of the former. Depression is not the only root cause of suicide. Bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, personality disorder are few among others but depression is the major cause nothwithstanding. It slowly re-configures the mind and thinking pattern of the victim, though it could degenerate into bipolar disorders in some cases.

For example, are you saying you are more mentally stable than Sergey Akhromeyev, a Marshal of the defunct Soviet Union who commited suicide? What about Salvador, a former president of Chile? What do you think would make great men damn the consequences and pain of death to commit suicide?

Depressed people are not cowards. They are weak, vulnerable and caught up between the fierce jaws of despondency. They should be shown love, attention and hope.

The premise on which your argument is predicated upon lies in the following assumptions:
That
- Disappointment and depression are synonymous
- Depression is the only cause of suicide
- When one gives up on a challenge, it automatically means the person is a coward
- Like Ben Carson, it always turn out well for everyone

This is why i still maintain that the conclusion of your argument is not just fallacious, but grossly erroneous. It does not stem from facts but costly assumptions.

1 Like

Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by ElsonMorali: 7:51am On Apr 14, 2017
Kayceenaz:

I concur to your all that you stated except your last sentence. What if there is no reincarnation? It would mean that the person involved in suicide is a coward. And what if there is reincarnation? Such a person would still remain a coward because he side-stepped life's critical exam. Either way, suicide is devoid of positivity.

First, people who commit suicide aren't cowards. I'm sure you couldn't withstand a tiny bit of what they passed through. Let's be compassionate.

Second, there definitely is reincarnation. Most cultures and religions including Judaism and early Christianity believe in reincarnation.

There are certain portions of the Bible that show the reality of reincarnation.
Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by Sultty(m): 10:56am On Apr 14, 2017
ElsonMorali:

More people are experiencing depression because of the use of the various social media tools available.

Before now, nobody knew to details what the other person was doing per se. But now, you only need to log on to Facebook, Instagram, and the likes to see your childhood friends, or your secondary school playmates, or maybe your class mates in the university posting various pics of themselves living large and travelling from country to country while you're still holed up in your village maybe considering farming or something.

If only people will remember that they need to face their lives and keep their noses out of other people's business...
don't mean to disrespect but if One could easily get depressed through this, i mean like seriously why should u be depressed. Ur mates are shining their shine so u should get up from ur whining arse and shine urs

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by ElsonMorali: 11:21am On Apr 14, 2017
Sultty:
don't mean to disrespect but if One could easily get depressed through this, i mean like seriously why should u be depressed. Ur mates are shining their shine so u should get up from ur whining arse and shine urs

My dear, you and I can reason that way because we probably aren't prone to depression.

There are people who have a high propensity for depression.

Anything can trigger it off. I just used social media as an example.

Hope you got that bro.
Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by Sultty(m): 11:39am On Apr 14, 2017
ElsonMorali:

My dear, you and I can reason that way because we probably aren't prone to depression.

There are people who have a high propensity for depression.

Anything can trigger it off. I just used social media as an example.

Hope you got that bro.
true to some extent but i tell u some causes of depression are downright funny and to see why some unlucky ones commit suicide is very selfish of them. Imagine someone blaming Buhari for his woos at mazamaza bridge then jumps into the lagoon is the height of it. Using this as a case study I'll ask are u and i not also feeling this economic meltdown? But we still try one way or other to stay afloat so they is absolutely no reason y suicide should b an option
Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by asalimpo(m): 10:11am On Jan 24, 2019
People are prone to commit suicide wen they dont see a livable future ahead. Also deep grief and pain can add boosters to this resolve. God will judge many for the suicides others committed because in some way,they could hav averted it. The injunction for us to love nd show care to others by d bible is seen as ignorable but it could hav prevented lots of suicides and depression.
It's not that ppl are cowards. Some take their lives out of ernomous push of foolishness and selfishness but to some others,at the time , it was d wisest sanest decisions they could come to. For all of them,the goal is d same- to escape an unbearable shituation/pain. People commit suicide to escape HELL-. I mean hell in a non religious sense. Life is meant to b pleasant. Or at least livable, ppl will endure some kind of discomfort if there is hope of a better future otherwise,logically and practically, what are they living for?
Living just for living? Dyu wanna sell that to them? No1 will buy it.
A man was released from jail after losing about 20yrs of his life to a wrongful accusation. In the u.s, he could sue for damages on that. I think he won but he wept for his lost years! If he took his life what would hav caused it? If he lives, he lives with ernomous pain. He would always remember his lost years nd pine for them. Is it better to live with this gnawing pain or not?

1 Like

Re: Suicide: The Escape Route Of Emotional Problems? by Kayceenaz(m): 10:51am On Jan 24, 2019
asalimpo:
People are prone to commit suicide wen they dont see a livable future ahead. Also deep grief and pain can add boosters to this resolve. God will judge many for the suicides others committed because in some way,they could hav averted it. The injunction for us to love nd show care to others by d bible is seen as ignorable but it could hav prevented lots of suicides and depression.
It's not that ppl are cowards. Some take their lives out of ernomous push of foolishness and selfishness but to some others,at the time , it was d wisest sanest decisions they could come to. For all of them,the goal is d same- to escape an unbearable shituation/pain. People commit suicide to escape HELL-. I mean hell in a non religious sense. Life is meant to b pleasant. Or at least livable, ppl will endure some kind of discomfort if there is hope of a better future otherwise,logically and practically, what are they living for?
Living just for living? Dyu wanna sell that to them? No1 will buy it.
A man was released from jail after losing about 20yrs of his life to a wrongful accusation. In the u.s, he could sue for damages on that. I think he won but he wept for his lost years! If he took his life what would hav caused it? If he lives, he lives with ernomous pain. He would always remember his lost years nd pine for them. Is it better to live with this gnawing pain or not?
Indeed, extending a hand of concern and care to those around us is not optional. God blesses us to bless others.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hausa Youths Go On Rampage, Set Lagos LG Office Ablaze / Nigeria Made Faster Progress Against Boko Haram After Curbing Corruption- Buhar / Police Rescue Kidnapped Children In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.