Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,916 members, 7,810,521 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:28 AM

Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi (26901 Views)

Ayiri Emami Hosts Pat Utomi At His Mansion (Photos) / What Nnamdi Kanu Told Us In Prison — Pat Utomi / Yakubu Dogara "Jonathan's Choices Caused Nigeria's Current Economic Realities" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi by blackpanda: 1:39pm On Sep 19, 2016
This guy is just talking trashing. All that he said makes no sense..."use strong determination to stop people from buying" WTF does that even mean?? To think that people rust to be lectured by him sef. Smh
Re: Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi by ificatchmodeh: 1:42pm On Sep 19, 2016
Pat... we're here already,all this talk ain't necessary..

Please au do we get out..no tell me change start with me o..

Solutions plss..this recession matter no be joke angry
Re: Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi by Zackpraise(m): 1:42pm On Sep 19, 2016
everybody is looking for somebody to put Blame on.....okk ooo if una like make una no look for ways to tackles the recession *looking them with one eye*
Re: Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi by Nobody: 1:45pm On Sep 19, 2016
Thank god i didn't type anything grin
Re: Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi by cococandy(f): 1:49pm On Sep 19, 2016
True
Re: Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi by Monday5(m): 1:49pm On Sep 19, 2016
WHO ASK YOU?
Re: Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi by pepigeorge(m): 1:53pm On Sep 19, 2016
mamabomboy:
I-diot, after you and Oby have led us into the lions den, you now want to jump out and claim you are wise. Buffoon, you are giving an economic analysis on the pulpit. When did the church become an economic institute. You better go and find something to do instead of making noise like Ezekwesilly the foool.

U are not supposed to comment on intellectual threads like this..... is for intellectuals not for sentimentally myopic pple... didn't u see threads that talked about boobs n ass

2 Likes

Re: Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi by Bujumbura(m): 1:53pm On Sep 19, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:

He blames everybody but himself!
like buhari

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi by exceltech: 1:55pm On Sep 19, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:

That reminds me of Buhari and APC.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi by samuelchimmy(m): 1:56pm On Sep 19, 2016
#okbye, shey you don blab finish, oya vamut .....i wish nobody will vote come 2019.because it's obvious we only have buffoons, until the youths in this country decide to do something, I don't see progress in the nearest future
Re: Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi by jaybee3(m): 1:58pm On Sep 19, 2016
cococandy:
True

cry cry cry cry
Re: Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi by Ahmedhussain3463: 2:00pm On Sep 19, 2016
Goke7:
Utomi was one of the economists shouting for the floating of the naira, now he is trying to absolve himself by saying the govt would have done it earlier.

This recession has made me know that some of these economists are not brilliant after all.
God bless u broda|dis is d questn av always ask my self,that where are d so called briliant economist dt were pushing for devaluation of naira wic the president later succumb to after showing some restiveness!utomi should bury his head in shame is a learner becos na night sch e go
Re: Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi by Ahmedhussain3463: 2:03pm On Sep 19, 2016
idupaul:
He saying what I have always said ..our level of recession has nothing to do with oil prices but all to do with the character and poor judgment of President Buhari
anti govt remark,u will b charge for treason and felony
Re: Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi by holocron: 2:04pm On Sep 19, 2016
idupaul:

First thing we should know the decline in oil prices is not commensurate to the level of drop our economy has witnessed. . Have you asked yourself that that despite low oil prices and virtually no democratic structure on ground plus no foreign reserve and a heavy debt profile how Obasanjo managed to steer the country to some growth ..Mr I will highlight some poor decisions made by a visionless Buhari (I also voted for him oo) that virtually nuked the Nigerian economy.

Before President Buhari was sworn in Oil prices had spiralled down plus he was taking over from an exceptionally corrupt govt led by the meek GEJ. A wise leader taking over such affairs will not do some things ..below are things Buhari shouldn't have done ..

1: He shouldn't have spent more than six months choosing his ministers and team ..Knowing that we were in an era of low oil revenues Buhari should have hit the ground running in a manner that will inspire confidence in the NIGERIAN economy but he didn't rather he left the country without a policy framework or directionfor 6 months .

2: The ridiculous MTN fine : 6 months after his inauguration Buhari suddenly realises he has low revenue from oil and take advantage of the simplest registration penalty to slap MTN the largest fine ever heard in human history , a ridiculous fine of 5 billion dollars ..that immediately set most multinationals who had been operating under lax Nigerian laws to find parallel means of expatriating over 80 billion dollars out of the country in under 3 weeks just in case the govt of the new sheriff decided to clamp down on their profits still housed in Nigeria..Ironically the president couldn't even get MTN to pay the 5 billion dollar as it was reviewed to some really paltry some to be paid small small over time but the damage was already done .

3: For years most people knew our Banks relied on govt patronage for a large percentage of its deposits..Mr Buhari in his visonles manner goes on to pull the rug over night by implementing TSA a 100 percent instead of the piece meal fashion recommended by those who even created the TSA in the first place, the banking industry was suddenly hit with a massive withdrawal symptom that also cascaded into the real private sector including small businesses .

4: When oil prices are low oil producing country usually ramp up production to try to use volume to counter losses realised form low oil margins and that why Saudi Arabia this year increased production levels to a record high ..In Nigeria what did Buhari do? Buhari chose such are time to declare Tompolo wanted for a supposed fraud of 13 billion naira thereby throwing the region into chaos as militants took to the offensive to avoid arrest. .this action further cut down our production by another half meaning despite low oil price Mr Buhari now had to deal with low output and production.

5: Recently as production started to pick up the Army announced it was deploying 10 thousand soldiers to the region ..I don't have a problem with that but why announce it ..By announcing it tension is again heightened in the region. .Abacha deployed more troops to the Niger delta but never announced it sef .

Bro I can go on and on ..the truth is that Buhari can never make a great leader and will never .he doesn't have that vision and prefers knee jerk action to well thought out solutions

An excellent analysis! You should be up there bro!

No. 1 especially. Sent a message of cluelessness and a despicable unprepardness. Incompetence of the highest order. Buhari has no blueprint or agenda for governing the country, after struggling 12 years for it, even with death threats of blood, baboons and dogs! What a disaster! This proves that idiagbon was the actual power behind the throne in 1985.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi by anonimi: 2:05pm On Sep 19, 2016
mamabomboy:
I-diot, after you and Oby have led us into the lions den, you now want to jump out and claim you are wise. Buffoon, you are giving an economic analysis on the pulpit. When did the church become an economic institute. You better go and find something to do instead of making noise like Ezekwesilly the foool.

Today is Monday, the day after the Christian worship day- Sunday.
So therefore make you pardon this Buharideen who is using style to join the Buharists on his way to becoming a confirmed Wailer.
Can we pass a form to him? grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3589606_fbimg1458848436888_jpeg0d51a6ed0a0d14cea0bf7a6d73ba0698

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi by Nobody: 2:05pm On Sep 19, 2016
Strict policies
Re: Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi by Nobody: 2:05pm On Sep 19, 2016
Strict policies
there are some decision that must be taken.
some laws that need to be made.

Like, death sentences for looters
I don't see this country going forward.
Re: Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi by Ahmedhussain3463: 2:06pm On Sep 19, 2016
Paperwhite:
This is not the first time oil price will fall.It's just the gross clueless & incompetence of the Buhari's government that land us in this shit.
lol,check out venezuela country dt also depend on oil,arab country dt are nt complaining av robust reserve|hw much ur broda and ur sister ngozi save wen oil was selling for $145 pb b4 dey left govt?
Re: Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi by Eluala(m): 2:08pm On Sep 19, 2016
No more admittance to 'the wailers club'. All seats have been taken. I thought Prof was part of those telling us why Buhari would be the next big think after man's landing on the moon?
Re: Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi by Tokety7: 2:09pm On Sep 19, 2016
Never knew Utomi is now this dumb. Shame.
Re: Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi by anonimi: 2:11pm On Sep 19, 2016
holocron:
An excellent analysis! You should be up there bro!

No. 1 especially. Sent a message of cluelessness and a despicable unprepardness. Incompetence of the highest order. Buhari has no blueprint or agenda for governing the country, after struggling 12 years for it, even with death threats of blood, baboons and dogs! What a disaster! This proves that idiagbon was the actual power behind the throne in 1985.

Clueless!
Unprepared!!
Incompetent!!!

As it was-

- in the past,
- is now and
- ever will be

with DullardPoo.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3425886_buhariyoungcv_jpeg10853002c219fd819e94413c71e62d07

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2165170_tinubumumu_jpeg841752a3a8712d5ed9d37dcc8ef65266

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3780335_mugabe_jpegb6d6da38e8b22a0fc4198629955fb6f1

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi by Ahmedhussain3463: 2:11pm On Sep 19, 2016
chernest2002:
We're in a long trouble called buhari so Mr utomi take Hart.
dt trouble will last for u till 2023 only if buhari decide nt to recontes or Allah dnt wnt him to remain
Re: Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi by Nobody: 2:12pm On Sep 19, 2016
Goke7:
Utomi was one of the economists shouting for the floating of the naira, now he is trying to absolve himself by saying the govt would have done it earlier.

This recession has made me know that some of these economists are not brilliant after all.

Yes. don't mind them, they were shouting float it, devalue it.

PMB short changing Nigeria.

Floating it is now a bad idea..
Re: Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi by AZeD1(m): 2:13pm On Sep 19, 2016
idupaul:

1: He shouldn't have spent more than six months choosing his ministers and team ..Knowing that we were in an era of low oil revenues Buhari should have hit the ground running in a manner that will inspire confidence in the NIGERIAN economy but he didn't rather he left the country without a policy framework or directionfor 6 months .

Bro I can go on and on ..the truth is that Buhari can never make a great leader and will never .he doesn't have that vision and prefers knee jerk action to well thought out solutions
This is your only point that is agreeable, others are debatable.
I'll speak on the TSA.
The banks were getting free money from the government and loaning back to the same government at 15% interest rates, they were also lent to the real sector at 20% and above interest rate which is terrible. The government was loosing money by this arrangement and also the free money was not used by the banks to help fund SME's. I wholly support this move by the government.
Once forex racketeering is dealt with, the banks will have no other option than to go back to core banking.

1 Like

Re: Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi by ibietela2(m): 2:13pm On Sep 19, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:

Just like your Messiah, lord and saviour Buhari

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi by anonimi: 2:15pm On Sep 19, 2016
Ahmedhussain3463:
dt trouble will last for u till 2023 only if buhari decide nt to recontes or Allah dnt wnt him to remain

We are ready to continue with the change chain and chaos until 2023.
After 2023 what next?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3464222_16544_jpeged3c6f45a305756c0322f96aa2a668b9

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3608065_image_jpeg_jpeg6f95b5e7a24ad4fc0808d6698fd37362

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi by IVORY2009(m): 2:16pm On Sep 19, 2016
Tokety7:
Never knew Utomi is now this dumb. Shame.

Demdem,

The truth is always bitter, take heart grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi by idupaul: 2:17pm On Sep 19, 2016
AZeD1:

This is your only point that is agreeable, others are debatable.
I'll speak on the TSA.
The banks were getting free money from the government and loaning back to the same government at 15% interest rates, they were also lent to the real sector at 20% and above interest rate which is terrible. The government was loosing money by this arrangement and also the free money was not used by the banks to help fund SME's. I wholly support this move by the government.
Once forex racketeering is dealt with, the banks will have no other option than to go back to core banking.

Yes exactly and that's why the think tank that came up with the TSA recommended it be done phases to ease the financial that might arise from an instant removal ..this is where Buhari erred he failed to take that critical advise and pulled the rug 100 percent at the wrong time .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi by Ahmedhussain3463: 2:19pm On Sep 19, 2016
idupaul:

First thing we should know the decline in oil prices is not commensurate to the level of drop our economy has witnessed. . Have you asked yourself that that despite low oil prices and virtually no democratic structure on ground plus no foreign reserve and a heavy debt profile how Obasanjo managed to steer the country to some growth ..Mr I will highlight some poor decisions made by a visionless Buhari (I also voted for him oo) that virtually nuked the Nigerian economy.

Before President Buhari was sworn in Oil prices had spiralled down plus he was taking over from an exceptionally corrupt govt led by the meek GEJ. A wise leader taking over such affairs will not do some things ..below are things Buhari shouldn't have done ..

2: The ridiculous MTN fine : 6 months after his inauguration Buhari suddenly realises he has low revenue from oil and take advantage of the simplest registration penalty to slap MTN the largest fine ever heard in human history , a ridiculous fine of 5 billion dollars ..that immediately set most multinationals who had been operating under lax Nigerian laws to find parallel means of expatriating over 80 billion dollars out of the country in under 3 weeks just in case the govt of the new sheriff decided to clamp down on their profits still housed in Nigeria..Ironically the president couldn't even get MTN to pay the 5 billion dollar as it was reviewed to some really paltry some to be paid small small over time but the damage was already done .

3: For years most people knew our Banks relied on govt patronage for a large percentage of its deposits..Mr Buhari in his visonles manner goes on to pull the rug over night by implementing TSA a 100 percent instead of the piece meal fashion recommended by those who even created the TSA in the first place, the banking industry was suddenly hit with a massive withdrawal symptom that also cascaded into the real private sector including small businesses .

4: When oil prices are low oil producing country usually ramp up production to try to use volume to counter losses realised form low oil margins and that why Saudi Arabia this year increased production levels to a record high ..In Nigeria what did Buhari do? Buhari chose such are time to declare Tompolo wanted for a supposed fraud of 13 billion naira thereby throwing the region into chaos as militants took to the offensive to avoid arrest. .this action further cut down our production by another half meaning despite low oil price Mr Buhari now had to deal with low output and production.

5: Recently as production started to pick up the Army announced it was deploying 10 thousand soldiers to the region ..I don't have a problem with that but why announce it ..By announcing it tension is again heightened in the region. .Abacha deployed more troops to the Niger delta but never announced it sef .

i agree wit u on some areas wic include tsa and tension in d oil producing state dt affect our output|bt i av strong objection for d oda two reasons
Re: Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi by OBAGADAFFI: 2:23pm On Sep 19, 2016
Goke7:

Did bother read his comments,

But they said how can we devalue? We will not devalue.

In economics timing very important, if the government had devalued earlier, thing won't be this bad.

But they shamefully devalued using the term floating of the naira, when they realize they couldn't handle things anymore.
Re: Government's Wrong Policy Choices Caused This Recession - Pat Utomi by Doyin2(m): 2:23pm On Sep 19, 2016
Even USA ,with all the best economists in the world,could not avert economic downturn.It took Obama more than 4 years to turn the economy of USA around.

Textbook economist like Utomi should please shut up an let us have our peace.What contributions did he make to avert the recession?Talk is very cheap indeed.What leadership did Utomi provide to save Volkswagen and BankPHB from extinction

The fact about economics is that there is never any best way.There is always a lacuna in very economic policy adopted,and that is what idiots like Utomi are capitalising on to attract very cheap publicity.

Borrowing against assets?Earlier devaluation in a very import dependent economy? How easy and certain are these, as perfect solutions to averting recession?

The same sort of economists would have told us that the devaluation of the Naira was too hasty a decision,if otherwise.

Rubbish!

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Husband Became President Because He Never Gave Up – Aisha Buhari / How INEC Helped APC In Ekiti - Witness / More Pictures As Buhari Campaigns In Yobe (Graphic Pictures)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.