Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,044 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:38 AM

Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? (7734 Views)

Poll: Is it?

Yes: 30% (12 votes)
No: 64% (25 votes)
Undecided: 5% (2 votes)
This poll has ended

6 Signs That Show A Church Is Becoming Secular. Part 1 / GODWIN; Gospel Or Secular??? / Is It Sinful For A Christian To Listen To Secular Music??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? by Onto01: 4:33pm On Oct 12, 2009
Secular music? In church?To me it is highly not permissible,i mean there are better musics out there that are even better than the so called secular music,its just as he you are serving two masters.Impossible!!!
Re: Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? by ilohim: 4:48pm On Oct 12, 2009
What have light and darkness got in common?

There is no way secular music can make praise & worship in church better;truth is there are all forms of worship music; there are gospel artistes from all over the world singing gospel music in all forms;so what could be the justification for going secular to worship God?

I dont think its right.
Re: Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? by Biatide1: 4:54pm On Oct 12, 2009
[/quote][quote author=Purist link=topic=336104.msg4717515#msg4717515 date=1255350633]
When will people learn how to read for God's sake?!

It's an ADAPTATION of lyrics, damn it!

The problem I see with most people here is that once they hear "Secular Music", a picture of D'banj, Ruggedman, et al instantly pops up in their head.

you cant blame anyone, D'banji and co are part of secular musicians, Please Note: GOD has a standard that he cannot change because of anyman
Re: Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? by Nobody: 5:04pm On Oct 12, 2009
I thought Jesus walks was a Christian song though. Or at least Christian themed.

never mind the fact that kanye west was the artist.
Re: Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Oct 12, 2009
why is someone saying this isnt a Christian song?

Jesus Walks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUmcUuPo3Jo

because of kanye?
Re: Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? by Sangman(m): 6:03pm On Oct 12, 2009
It depends on how much you're "adapting": if all you're going to do is interchange "my girl" for "my God" (for example), then don't do that disservice to your brethren. However, if you're taking advantage of a catchy hook like "Jesus Walks", and proceed to build edifying verses, then continue to be a blessing.
There are many believers who go to extremes in this music issue: some will even tell you that there is no NT account of Jesus and the apostles using instruments to worship God, so therefore its not allowed. Or even that the first humans, according to biblical accounts, to develop instruments were descendants of Cain.
Re: Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? by MadMax1(f): 6:09pm On Oct 12, 2009
If you're not floating around stringing a harp and chanting Holy holy holy you're going to hell abi?Nigerians and their unholy, warped, rigidly puritanical man-made cages.They see the devil and a conspiracy in everything and can't use the simple common sense God gave them. Guitars and drums and flutes have no religion. Music is music, as long as the lyrics are real and human and doesn't profane God. God looks through all that and straight at the heart, no? Ride on with yer adaptation jor. Sounds like fun for the youngsters.
Re: Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? by Outstrip(f): 6:17pm On Oct 12, 2009
Ordinarily I would agree because eventually the line will be crossed and people will be popping their butts in church like some music video but I heard
"Because you loved me" on a christian station and if Celine Dion never sang that song you would never say it was secular
Re: Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? by xcapade: 7:31pm On Oct 12, 2009
De Splash:

Good topic.

I think it's wrong, including all those "Awilo dance" I see
in churches these days.

Guy please, christian dance?
The next we're gonna hear is christian food and xtian cars.
Anyway, i think God looks through the heart as u praise and worship him,
and acknowledges your moves as u dance to him.

What do u think God will make of this dance moves.(Or pretend to be a god and rate this moves rendered in praise to u)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pUAnrVWUkk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP65zfuUUHU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp4BA0-lYtU&feature=related
Re: Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? by bawomolo(m): 7:33pm On Oct 12, 2009
some people forget many secular artists had their start and inspiration from the church.

stop being prudes.
Re: Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? by slimes(m): 7:38pm On Oct 12, 2009
A secular song in the church?. This obvioulsy shows that the youth don't even listen to gospel songs anymore. That God loves sinners doesn't mean he conforms to the things they do. When seculars songs are transformed into gospel songs, it's just like changing the container of water. It would still remain what it is.
Re: Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? by mamagee6(f): 8:03pm On Oct 12, 2009
I don't think churches would remain the same with secular music. undecided
Re: Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? by horlla(m): 8:25pm On Oct 12, 2009
It is not right. Those Children or teenagers might just grow to know these songs alone. There are thousands of Hymns that make a lot of sense of commitment to the Lord yet with good and interesting rhymes.
Re: Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? by Purist(m): 8:54pm On Oct 12, 2009
Can you people friggin' read? Or you people don't understand simple English?!!

This isn't about singing secular music in church, it's about ADAPTING such music (lyrics or tunes) into worship song! Damn!!
Re: Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? by Positivity(m): 11:32pm On Oct 12, 2009
@ topic: I'd rather keep it seperate (IMO). I know what happens in my mind when I hear secular songs and I don't think I want to entertain such thoughts while in the house of God.

Subconsciously it is quite hard to let go of the secular contents-some of which could be quite contray to the tenets of christianity-which is only natural since the memory subconsciously associates with the original secular song even after changing the lyrics to suit gospel standard.
Re: Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:38pm On Oct 12, 2009
Hmmmm I wonder how one can adapt just lose it , maybe they already did.
Re: Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? by Elprinz(m): 11:56pm On Oct 12, 2009
Why are Christians so quick to manipulate things to their own selfish and freakish fancies?

U just shot ur sef on the foot undecided undecided
Re: Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? by aomom(m): 5:08am On Oct 13, 2009
you cant cook God's soup in the devils cooking pot! less he takes the credit
Re: Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? by Nobody: 5:15am On Oct 13, 2009
thought you knew the song Amazing Grace like the back of your hand?

Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODatqyzberM
Re: Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? by Olong(m): 5:38am On Oct 13, 2009
As a musician,i can authoritatively tel u guys dt ADAPTATION IS TRADITIONAL IN MUSIC, it is done al d time,knowingly n unknowingly,by both gospel n secular musicians alik!stop d fuss
Re: Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? by floriana(m): 8:35am On Oct 13, 2009
konko below, No long thing, enter the place, shayo, all will make good worship and praise songs grin
Re: Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? by habbeyojo(m): 10:19am On Oct 13, 2009
left 2 me there is nothing bad there,as long as its an atmosphere of worship, cos God is a spirit and they that will worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.[color=#770077][/color]
Re: Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? by StEdwin(m): 10:45am On Oct 13, 2009
no no no no no,
Re: Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? by Nezan(m): 11:00am On Oct 13, 2009
We must resist every attempt at corrupting our churches.
Re: Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? by Gamine(f): 12:23pm On Oct 13, 2009
texazzpete:

It wouldn't be a gathering of Christians without a few self-righteous people chiming in.
As someone once said, if you use the soundtrack for a popular Michael Jackson song and substitute the Lyrics for ones praising God, what's the issue?

Would that you self-righteous people put the same effort into helping the poor. Nigeria would be a better place for it.

na you go know undecided WHUDL??

Ever since i could remember there has been the battle over Secular/Christian Songs.

You should be more worried about 'piracy' and such than whether it is right to adapt or not.lol
Re: Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? by martinosi: 1:03pm On Oct 13, 2009
Secular music = music to gratify your flesh these days!!!
Re: Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? by Image123(m): 3:41pm On Oct 13, 2009
Frankly speaking, I'll say it's not ALL right to turn 'secular' songs to 'church' songs. It's been said that the church has suffered untold injury at the hands of well-intentioned persons who felt that they know more about running God's work than Christ and His apostles did.
Matthew 12v33 says 'Either make the tree good,and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt,and his fruit corrupt; for the tree is known by his fruit.
Fruits from a corrupt tree cannot be good, that's according to Jesus sha o, it depends on each individual's reference. Me,my reference is Jesus. 'Secular' songs are not of the Spirit and can therefore,never truely benefit the spirit. Maybe they might benefit the body,but the spirit? methinknot. The narrow way is most definitely STEREOTYPED, quite unfortunate for the 'free' minds. The cross doesn't change to a star or circle after 2000yrs, it remains a seemingly boring cross.
Re: Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? by Image123(m): 3:59pm On Oct 13, 2009
I've had personal experienceS, many of which made me slow down& 'come to myself'. I say this 'cos there are many who believe that people who are against 'secular' music have never loved it,or that they've always had affinity for 'religious.like' songs.
Like for example, I remember I used to LOVE mj and knew his songs and lyrics. I'd heard of the he's not a christian, mj's this and into that talks, but I always rationalized. It's mj you know. Now, what may have shone as light for me,may not for all. But somethings struck me like for example,one of his songs; say 'We are the world'.A seemingly meek and harmless,'christly' song. But it struck me that some of the wording were DIRECTLY opposed to Christ's. It says 'we are the world', Jesus in John 15v19 says 'ye are not of the world'. The songs goes on to say 'we're saving our own lives', Luke 9v24 is a direct opposite. Now to me, that cannot be glanced through. That's the spirit of antichrist, and it's seducing if it were possible even the elect. The tree that produced that fruit cannot be good
Re: Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? by Image123(m): 4:04pm On Oct 13, 2009
There's no change of lyric or instrument that will bring about salvation or edification from the Spirit. It may bring wet eyes or waves of feel good or shrieks, but thats all the best it can bring. Just thought to add some things to the thread though, here comes the looming persecution.
Re: Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? by MrTurkey(m): 5:59pm On Oct 13, 2009
just play anything. anything goes in churches these days, as long as you pay the tithe and some small small offerings. . .
Re: Is It Permissible To Adapt Secular Music For Worship?? by fe32(m): 7:24pm On Oct 13, 2009
Image123:

Frankly speaking, I'll say it's not ALL right to turn 'secular' songs to 'church' songs. It's been said that the church has suffered untold injury at the hands of well-intentioned persons who felt that they know more about running God's work than Christ and His apostles did.
Matthew 12v33 says 'Either make the tree good,and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt,and his fruit corrupt; for the tree is known by his fruit.
Fruits from a corrupt tree cannot be good, that's according to Jesus sha o, it depends on each individual's reference. Me,my reference is Jesus. 'Secular' songs are not of the Spirit and can therefore,never truely benefit the spirit. Maybe they might benefit the body,but the spirit? methinknot. The narrow way is most definitely STEREOTYPED, quite unfortunate for the 'free' minds. The cross doesn't change to a star or circle after 2000yrs, it remains a seemingly boring cross.

Image123:

There's no change of lyric or instrument that will bring about salvation or edification from the Spirit. It may bring wet eyes or waves of feel good or shrieks, but thats all the best it can bring. Just thought to add some things to the thread though, here comes the looming persecution.

absolutely well said my friend, Christ has won the victory over death and sin for us, into eternal peace with our Father in heaven, yet we are living our lives like we do not need this victory, A bad tree cannot produce good fruits, if the light in you be darkness,how great is it

we have all had this influence sometime in our live but you know deep within yourself that this is not Jesus even if they were rendered in the holiest of churches,

many of our churches today have grown terribly cold, the question still stands, when He come back will He meet faith,

worship is all about our Heavenly Father and to Him, the best of sermons you should hear are those that you really never liked, pricked your heart, and make you wonder about where your eternity will be

if our Lord preach the way it's been done today in many churches, the pharisees would never have crucified him, atleast he will be promising them their "best life now",

image123, will like to refer you to this site, www.sermonindex.net, keep the fire burning, he who endures to the end shall be saved, even the Lord called it endurance cause He knows what our flesh easily respond to

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Female Pastor Caught In A Scandal As Her S#x Video Goes Viral (watch Video) / RCCG 2019 Fasting And Prayer Points / Ronaldo Rejected Million of Dollar frm Pepsi TV Bcs they Funds Israeli Soldiers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.