Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,089 members, 7,821,763 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:01 PM

Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years (15397 Views)

Nigerian Digital Publishing Startup: Reports First Profitable Quarter / Jumia Suffered N53 Billion Loss In 2017 / Man Rewarded By Students He Gave Free Ice Cream In Kaduna 30 Years Ago (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by billyG(m): 12:34pm On Sep 21, 2016
Truth234:
Guinness Nigeria Plc on Tuesday reported a loss for the year ended June 30, 2016.

The document filed with the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) revealed that turnover declined by 14 percent from N118.49 billion recorded in 2015 to N101.973 billion in 2016. While operating profit dropped by 72 percent from N15.667 billion to N4.415 billion.

The company ended the year with a pretax loss of N2.347 billion and loss after tax of N2 billion, making it its first full-year loss in 30 years, compared with pretax profit of N10.795 billion and profit after tax of N7.79 billion recorded in 2015.

Speaking to reporters, the Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer, Guinness Nigeria Plc, Mr. Peter Ndegwa, said that the challenging economic environment coupled with Naira devaluation had a profound impact on Guinness Nigeria’s overall performance.

“Our performance this year was impacted by two major factors, one being the very tough economic challenges around consumer spending, driving consumer preferences towards value brands across the sector, the other, and more significant factor being the effect of foreign exchange policy and the devaluation of the Naira. When you take out the impact of the latter, our underlying performance for the year was broadly in line with the prior year in spite of the pressure on the top line.”

Speaking in the same vein, Chairman, Guinness Nigeria Plc, Mr Babatunde Savage, said: “Despite the continuing deterioration in the operating environment, the Board is pleased to note that our core brands of Guinness FES and Malta Guinness are in growth and we now have a strong participation in the growing value segment of the market through Satzenbrau and Dubic. We have also started to see early signs that our decisions to acquire the distribution rights in Nigeria to the International Premium Spirits brands of Diageo and to invest in local capacity for spirits manufacturing are the right ones for the business.”

http://investorsking.com/guinness-reports-first-annual-loss-in-30-years/
How many dollars has Guiness add to nigeria economy 4 d last 30yrs?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by AntiWailer: 12:35pm On Sep 21, 2016
rozayx5:

lol .
keep running from pillar to post

Odeee then stop mentioning me and referring me to any post.

My post is for intelligent minds and the message is clear.

I dnt engage riff raffs who can not reason, that is why i stay away from your thrashes.

Stop calling me out, i have no business with You or your pay masters.

I can actually pay some of your pay masters if you know what that means.
Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by amuokuko: 12:35pm On Sep 21, 2016
If nah me be Guiness MD, i will sack all Afonjas in my employ...
Not only that they dont drink beer, they also brought this to the company by voting that Fulani Octopus..

Just Pity the 10% of other tribes that re likely to loose their job with these zombies.....

1 Like

Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by rozayx5(m): 12:36pm On Sep 21, 2016
AntiWailer:

Odeee then stop mentioning me and referring me to any post.

My post is for intelligent minds and the message is clear.

I dnt engage riff raffs who can not reason, that is why i stay away from your thrashes.

Stop calling me out, i have no business with You or your pay masters.

I can actually pay some of your pay masters if you know what that means.

intelligence is far from you
your money is thrash to me cheesy grin grin
keep it and feed your fellow zombies. who will defend your dullard at all costs

1 Like

Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by anonimi: 12:38pm On Sep 21, 2016
30 years ago the military dictator led us into recession and depression before he was kicked out.
Yet some Buharideens were too deaf to all the warnings last year.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2095210_worst_jpeg588f192a23aa02a7b350a8bbe5d18306

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by Nobody: 12:39pm On Sep 21, 2016
This is what happens when majority of Nigerians become born again. angry
Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by rozayx5(m): 12:39pm On Sep 21, 2016
amuokuko:
If nah me be Guiness MD, i will sack all Afonjas in my employ...
Not only that they dont drink beer, they also brought this to the company by voting that Fulani Octopus..

Just Pity the 10% of other tribes that re likely to loose their job with these zombies.....

the afonjas are already at the receiving end in the banking sector grin grin grin grin

as for us that live in naija but dont depend on naija we dey laugh the dullard and his crew

2 Likes

Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by rozayx5(m): 12:40pm On Sep 21, 2016
anonimi:
30 years ago the military dictator led us into recession and depression before he was kicked out.
Yet some Buharideens were too deaf to all the warnings last year.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2095210_worst_jpeg588f192a23aa02a7b350a8bbe5d18306

they will blame shagari
luckily i was not in the cesspit when he ruled

2 Likes

Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by AntiWailer: 12:43pm On Sep 21, 2016
rozayx5:

intelligence is far from you
your money is thrash to me cheesy grin grin
keep it and feed your fellow zombies. who will defend your dullard at all costs

Oh ok you trade forex. grin grin grin grin

Go and develop another skill that will not be affected by economic decision. A skill that will stand test of time.

You can carry your frustration into Agriculture too.

I am not responsible for what you are going through so stop stalking me.
Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by rozayx5(m): 12:44pm On Sep 21, 2016
AntiWailer:

Oh ok you trade forex. grin grin grin grin

Go and develop another skill that will not be affected by economic decision. A skill that will stand test of time.

You can carry your frustration into Agriculture too.

I am not responsible for what you are going through so stop stalking me.

another afonja grin

its nice how your crew disappear on the threads that they are needed most

1 Like

Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by udatso: 12:47pm On Sep 21, 2016
Tolexander:
When the part of the South voted for the same man in 2011, it was also out of hatred for the SS?
Don't mind him. As if GEJ was a better choice

1 Like

Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by AntiWailer: 12:47pm On Sep 21, 2016
rozayx5:

another afonja grin

Drop that nonsense you call FOREX. There is economic problem in Uk, Canada, Russia, China, IRAN etc So what rubbish are you trading ?

I can teach you a better skill.

A skill that is balling during this recession. Companies, fall back to us for softwares they can no longer afford to import. tongue tongue tongue

It is called SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT. wink wink

Don't scream, you might be using my app as you rant. tongue tongue

May be that is one of the reasons I can calm down and reason to see the root of the problem instead of assuming BUHARI is responsible for my MISFORTUNE.

So we don't need Bread Crumbs from any Eediot to say the truth without regrets.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by amuokuko: 12:49pm On Sep 21, 2016
rozayx5:

the afonjas are already at the receiving end in the banking sector grin grin grin grin

as for us that live in naija but dont depend on naija we dey laugh the dullard and his crew

make i follow u laugh jawe.. grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by rozayx5(m): 12:50pm On Sep 21, 2016
AntiWailer:

Drop that nonsense you called FOREX. There is economic problem in Uk, Canada, Russia, China, IRAN etc So what rubbish are you trading ?

I can teach you a better skill.

A skill that is balling during this recession. Companies, fall back to us for softwares they can no longer afford to import. tongue tongue tongue

It is called SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT. wink wink

Don't scream, you might be using my app as you rant. tongue tongue

May be that is one of the reasons I can calm down and reason to see the root of the problem instead of assuming BUHARI is responsible for my MISFORTUNE.

lol dont discuss fields you know nothing about other than the thrash they sold to u cheesy

face buhari. or go to the next thread about obama cool

1 Like

Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by AntiWailer: 12:52pm On Sep 21, 2016
rozayx5:

lol dont discuss fields you know nothing about other than the thrash they sold to u cheesy

face buhari. or go to the next thread about obama cool

What nonsense field don't we know about. I traded forex 10 years ago and saw the bleak future and embraced a better skill and reason you CRY now and I laugh.

I would have been blaming Buhari too for the useless decision made 10 years ago.

In humble and pained voice. tongue tongue

He submitted. grin grin
Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by rozayx5(m): 12:57pm On Sep 21, 2016
AntiWailer:

What nonsense field don't we know about. I traded forex 10 years ago and saw the bleak future and embraced a better skill and reason you CRY now and I laugh.

I would have been blaming Buhari too for the useless decision made 10 years ago.

In humble and pained voice. tongue tongue

He submitted. grin grin

loool i wonder how many software you have to sell grin grin
buhari useless policy favors us loool

kill the naira more we r waiting for him grin

i guess you traded that roadside forex with a couple of change grin
all the hedgefunds in Nigeria. Banks are using your savings to hammer. guess who trades them?

if you ever exposed to the real world of trading and not laptop and modem roadside trading you wont be chasing softwares now

let me advice u . go learn coding from mark
who knows you might build facebook grin grin
u don miss rd for my side

1 Like

Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by Splashme: 1:00pm On Sep 21, 2016
idupaul:
Same thing with 1984 ...Nigerians should look at the common denominator between 1984 and 2016 and therein lies our problem..
That denominator is not low oil prices ,it's not corruption ,it's not war. The negative denominator in both eras is just the personality Buhari .

1 Like

Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by Nobody: 1:02pm On Sep 21, 2016
just pull out and divest your assets from the damned cesspit mehn!

1 Like

Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by Image123(m): 1:08pm On Sep 21, 2016
EternalTruths:
All thanks to a particular part of the South who voted in an incompetent President to out of hatred for the SE/SS people.

I hope when Guinness starts sacking them to remain profitable, they won't wail.

Drunken men and orgies reduced at the Aso Villa maybe, plus GEJ has been out of the country a lot this past year.
Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by helovesme(f): 1:09pm On Sep 21, 2016
billyG:

Absolutely nothing !

The annoying thing is that they import most of the material used in brewing and the brew only for the Nigerian market.

You cannot find a bottle of Guiness brewed in nigeria in any major supermarket abroad except African stores/shops were ethnic foods are sold
Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by AntiWailer: 1:09pm On Sep 21, 2016
rozayx5:

loool i wonder how many software you have to sell grin grin
buhari useless policy favors us loool

kill the naira more we r waiting for him grin

i guess you traded that roadside forex with a couple of change grin
all the hedgefunds in Nigeria. Banks are using your savings to hammer. guess who trades them?

if you ever exposed to the real world of trading and not laptop and modem roadside trading you wont be chasing softwares now

let me advice u . go learn coding from mark
who knows you might build facebook grin grin

lol.

Typical of a flat head chest beater.

So you trade for banks when the bank has a whole department with GMs and big boys in their Treasury Department grin

You are not talking to a novice.

Keep your advice, I check people's clothes before accepting offer of used clothes from them.

We have sized you and you are EMPTY and you will be deliberately ignored going forward.

Can't take break from precious projects to attend to Kindergartens.
Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by Truth234(m): 1:15pm On Sep 21, 2016
billyG:

Your reason?
Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by Kiakia(m): 1:17pm On Sep 21, 2016
Recession! Nigerians are guzzling less beer these days. Times are hard. No money in circulation. Welcome to a distressed country, Guiness!
Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by rozayx5(m): 1:18pm On Sep 21, 2016
AntiWailer:

lol.

Typical of a flat head chest beater.

So you trade for banks when the bank has a whole department with GMs and big boys in their Treasury Department grin

You are not talking to a novice.

Keep your advice, I check people's clothes before accepting offer of used clothes from them.

We have sized you and you are EMPTY

lol
novice software seller go sleep
lest i forget the main staff in the treasury you called work like dnkeys in zenith
lest i forget they are all women there
you forgot to ask how did i know grin

see ya lerra
Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by porka: 1:19pm On Sep 21, 2016
In another news, Buhari and his APC party are 'diversifying' government revenue through non-oil tax (read: taxes on company profits).

Now, they would have to introduce COMPANY LOSS TAX to fund their ONE EGG PER DAY and CONDITIONAL CASH TRANSFERS programmes in order to 'lift millions above poverty'.

After all, Guinness, Nestlé, Cadbury, MTN, etc have been LIVING ABOVE THEIR MEANS for the past 30 years, as we are being told by the psychopaths.
Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by aalangel(f): 1:22pm On Sep 21, 2016
Sweet! That means most people have stopped taking beer.
Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by porka: 1:33pm On Sep 21, 2016
Kiakia:
Recession! Nigerians are guzzling less beer these days. Times are hard. No money in circulation. Welcome to a distressed country, Guiness!

What is happening in Nigeria has gone beyond recession, it's a full blown economic depression.

Nestlé does not sell beer neither did UTC Foods. What is going on in the country currently is a severe economic hardship occasioned by Buhari's medieval economic policies that can only be interpreted as economic sanctions on the citizens.
Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by Truth234(m): 1:43pm On Sep 21, 2016
helovesme:

Absolutely nothing !

The annoying thing is that they import most of the material used in brewing and the brew only for the Nigerian market.

You cannot find a bottle of Guiness brewed in nigeria in any major supermarket abroad except African stores/shops were ethnic foods are sold

Nothing you say? Well, from the article they paid over N347 million in taxes in one financial year. Also, they have been creating jobs and pay better than most companies, which translate to increase consumer spending. Please the economy is struggling because of our leaders failure to devise succinct growth model, and not because these companies are importing raw materials. Better still, can you give us name of local manufacturing company that can meet Guinness daily demand for raw materials.
Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by breakeven: 1:48pm On Sep 21, 2016
Buhari no de drink nah.
Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by helovesme(f): 1:50pm On Sep 21, 2016
Truth234:

Nothing you say? Well, from the article they paid over N347 million in taxes in one financial year. Also, they have been creating jobs and pay better than most companies, which translate to increase consumer spending. Please the economy is struggling because of our leaders failure to devise succinct growth model.

How does paying taxes which they are legally obliged to relates with contributing to nigeria's forex earnings

They can only pay that much tax because they are trading very profitably even though they "claim" nigeria is a "challenging" country to trade in. Have you checked their annual accounts to see how much of their earnings was remitted to their parent company?

How many permanent jobs do they create undecided Go and look at the copy of their annual accounts and see their staff strength in nigeria. The bulk of their workforce is contract/temporary staff.

Paying a select few mouth watering salary does not translate to increased consumer spending and there's no correlation whatsoever.
Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by ephi123(f): 1:51pm On Sep 21, 2016
AntiWailer:

Blame game will be over once the past Government keep quiet and allow the new one fix the mess.

You can't cause something and throw it at my face and still scream BLAME game.

So Saraki is now the past government? Who has been making noise all over the place, is it not APC?
In any case, Nigerians have opened their eyes now, no one can be fooled any longer.
Re: Guinness Reports First Annual Loss In 30 Years by Truth234(m): 1:56pm On Sep 21, 2016
helovesme:

How does paying taxes which they are legally obliged to relates with contributing to nigeria's forex earnings

They can only pay that much tax because they are trading very profitably even though they "claim" nigeria is a "challenging" country to trade in. Have you checked their annual accounts to see how much of their earnings was remitted to their parent company?

How many permanent jobs do they create undecided Go and look at the copy of their annual accounts and see their staff strength in nigeria. The bulk of their workforce is contract/temporary staff.

Paying a select few mouth watering salary does not translate to increased consumer spending and there's no correlation whatsoever.

So paying taxes is not contributing to the economy? Only when they generate foreign exchange? This is what is wrong with this nation, over dependent on foreign exchange due to almost not existing manufacturing sector. The exact reason Guinness is not sourcing locally because local companies do not have the capacity. Until the Fg aggressively spend to diversify the economy, this will continue. Guinness is not the issue here, FG is please.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

New Naira Scarcity: Sokoto, Zamfara, Katsina Border Residents Trade In CFA / Jos Delight Holds Reception For Prospective Investors In Plateau (Photos, Video) / Fire At Part Of Lagos Computer Village

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.