Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,317 members, 7,811,945 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:27 AM

My Tomato Trial Garden (with Photos) - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Tomato Trial Garden (with Photos) (2180 Views)

My Tomato/pepper Experimental Garden / Growing Red Corn With Photos / Photos Of My Tomato Garden (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Tomato Trial Garden (with Photos) by Healthilyea: 1:15pm On Sep 22, 2016
I have decided to grow tomatoes and a few other vegetables in a greenhouse, but before I started I thought to play a little with a few plants in an open space behind my house. Hopefully they'll flourish and I pray the birds would be kind. I didn't think to document the process , but only decided to share a little just as I was about transplanting the seedlings this morning.
People like kizite, vanpele, mercy123 and a few others have inspired this thread...
The seeds were nursed about a month ago(i used pig manure and farm soil) in empty Purewater sachets. I watered daily on days I wasn't too busy to remember. Some dangerous lizards ate some of the seedlings as they germinated, some were spared.
I planted 2 varieties of beefsteak tomatoes; Brandywine (sudduths strain) and Rose. The seeds were gotten from Johnny's selected seeds in the US.
Photos below...

Re: My Tomato Trial Garden (with Photos) by Pavore9: 1:22pm On Sep 22, 2016
Doing well so far.
Re: My Tomato Trial Garden (with Photos) by alkines(m): 2:51pm On Sep 22, 2016
Healthilyea:
I have decided to grow tomatoes and a few other vegetables in a greenhouse, but before I started I thought to play a little with a few plants in an open space behind my house. Hopefully they'll flourish and I pray the birds would be kind. I didn't think to document the process , but only decided to share a little just as I was about transplanting the seedlings this morning.
People like kizite, vanpele, mercy123 and a few others have inspired this thread...
The seeds were nursed about a month ago(i used pig manure and farm soil) in empty Purewater sachets. I watered daily on days I wasn't too busy to remember. Some dangerous lizards ate some of the seedlings as they germinated, some were spared.
I planted 2 varieties of beefsteak tomatoes; Brandywine (sudduths strain) and Rose. The seeds were gotten from Johnny's selected seeds in the US.
Photos below...
u shipped it in rite?
how much did it cost?
Re: My Tomato Trial Garden (with Photos) by Healthilyea: 5:45pm On Sep 22, 2016
alkines:
u shipped it in rite?
how much did it cost?
D packet of 1000 seeds cost $11 each plus $6 for local shipping and sales tax within the US. Shipped down to Nigeria via Shypmate.com, I also shipped other stuffs, so can't be specific about the exact charge
Re: My Tomato Trial Garden (with Photos) by alkines(m): 6:37pm On Sep 22, 2016
Healthilyea:

D packet of 1000 seeds cost $11 each plus $6 for local shipping and sales tax within the US. Shipped down to Nigeria via Shypmate.com, I also shipped other stuffs, so can't be specific about the exact charge
thanks bro...
Re: My Tomato Trial Garden (with Photos) by Healthilyea: 8:21pm On Sep 22, 2016
alkines:
thanks bro...
I'm a MRS smiley
Re: My Tomato Trial Garden (with Photos) by Healthilyea: 8:22pm On Sep 22, 2016
Pavore9:
Doing well so far.
Thanks Oga Pavore, you have done so well for Nairaland agriculture
Re: My Tomato Trial Garden (with Photos) by alkines(m): 8:36pm On Sep 22, 2016
Healthilyea:
I'm a MRS smiley
lipsrsealed
Healthilyea:
I'm a MRS smiley
am sorry ma o..

1 Like

Re: My Tomato Trial Garden (with Photos) by Healthilyea: 9:50pm On Sep 22, 2016
alkines:
am sorry ma o..
Lol!
Re: My Tomato Trial Garden (with Photos) by thymm50(m): 10:50am On Sep 23, 2016
done something similar, inspired by Nairaland Agric community too. But I didn't buy the seeds, mayb when I go commercial.

Re: My Tomato Trial Garden (with Photos) by Healthilyea: 8:41pm On Sep 23, 2016
thymm50:
done something similar, inspired by Nairaland Agric community too. But I didn't buy the seeds, mayb when I go commercial.
Good job
Re: My Tomato Trial Garden (with Photos) by pat077: 9:31pm On Sep 23, 2016
Healthilyea:

are there no local stores in Nigeria where one can get those seeds and is it okay to plant tomatoes at this time of the year?
Re: My Tomato Trial Garden (with Photos) by Healthilyea: 9:48pm On Sep 23, 2016
pat077:
are there no local stores in Nigeria where one can get those seeds and is it okay to plant tomatoes at this time of the year?
Beefsteak tomatoes are not a common sight here, and I do not know of any store in Nigeria that sells organic heirloom tomato seeds. Most commonly sold are the hybrid seeds.
Heirloom means I can save the seeds and keep replanting and getting the same type of produce year in year out till eternity; whereas with hybrids(though cheaper and higher yielding) , I can't replant the saved seeds, Co's it will not yield true to type like the original plant, meaning I have to keep buying new seeds everytime I want to plant.
As long as there is constant supply of water(irrigation) I believe you can plant any crop any time.

1 Like

Re: My Tomato Trial Garden (with Photos) by pat077: 10:09pm On Sep 23, 2016
Healthilyea:

Beefsteak tomatoes are not a common sight here, and I do not know of any store in Nigeria that sells organic heirloom tomato seeds. Most commonly sold are the hybrid seeds.
Heirloom means I can save the seeds and keep replanting and getting the same type of produce year in year out till eternity; whereas with hybrids(though cheaper and higher yielding) , I can't replant the saved seeds, Co's it will not yield true to type like the original plant, meaning I have to keep buying new seeds everytime I want to plant.
As long as there is constant supply of water(irrigation) I believe you can plant any crop any time.
just got an acre of land where i intent planting cassava. I am thinking of planting tomatoes on the same piece of land to maximize d land and also recoup some of the money spent b4 the cassava matures. I don't have assess to irrigation that's why i am thinking if it's advisable to plant tomatoes now.
Re: My Tomato Trial Garden (with Photos) by Healthilyea: 11:59am On Sep 25, 2016
pat077:
just got an acre of land where i intent planting cassava. I am thinking of planting tomatoes on the same piece of land to maximize d land and also recoup some of the money spent b4 the cassava matures. I don't have assess to irrigation that's why i am thinking if it's advisable to plant tomatoes now.
I am not an expert in this field you can ask the guru in the house madam Jethro2. Am just a learner.
Re: My Tomato Trial Garden (with Photos) by Johnboom: 2:49am On Aug 09, 2022
Do you mind telling us the yield of your tomatoes.

(1) (Reply)

Best Agricultural Business Ideas In 2018 / Rice Farmers, Check These Out!!! / Large Tracts Of Farmland Wanted In Edo State.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.