Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,307 members, 7,819,041 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ (4865 Views)

Poll: ~ Are You Likely To

Retaliate/Counterattack: 7% (6 votes)
Become Very Defendsive/Abusive: 5% (5 votes)
Accept If Valid & Take It On Board: 42% (36 votes)
Question The Reason & Evolve: 28% (24 votes)
Deny & Be Withdrawn/Hurt: 3% (3 votes)
Not Bothered! Damn If You Do,Damn If You Dont!: 11% (10 votes)
This poll has ended

HER Virginity...how Would You React To This?? / How Do You React When Someone Says You Are Ugly / How Do You React/answer When Someone Knocks On Your Door? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by mohawkchic(f): 12:39am On Oct 13, 2009
[size=13pt] ~No One Likes To Be Critiqued. . .But Then No-one Is Perfect Either! You've Either Dished It Out Or Had It Dished Out To You. . Either Ways,No Criticism Is Ever Sugar Coated,9 Out Of 10 Times We Wont Like What We Hear/Read But If Valid,It Can Also Provide One With New Insights About Ones Self & Life! Bet You May Have Noticed Some People Maybe Even You! Do Not Respond Well To Criticism. . .Whether It Is Well Intentioned/Constructive Criticism! I Do Realise Sometimes If Not All,The Way Criticism Is Given Prompts Our Respond/Reaction But Do You Accept, Learn & Evolve? Or Reject, Deny & Retaliate From It?

~How Do You React/Respond/Handle Criticism Aimed At You? Constructive Or Not! Be It On NL ~Your Job/School Or In Your Everyday Life?

“It is Not The Critic Who Counts; Not The Man Who Points Out How The Strong Man Stumbles, Or Where The Doer Of Deeds Could Have Done Them Better. The Credit Belongs To The Man Who Is Actually In The Arena, Whose Face Is Marred By Dust & Sweat & Blood, Who Strives Valiantly; Who Errs & Comes Short Again & Again; Because There Is Not Effort Without Error & Shortcomings; But Who Does Actually Strive To Do The Deed; who knows the Great Enthusiasm, The Great devotion,Who Spends Himself In A Worthy Cause, Who At The Best Knows In The End The Triumph Of High Achievement & Who At The Worst, If He Fails, At Least He Fails While Daring Greatly. So That His Place Shall Never Be With Those Cold & Timid Souls Who Know Neither Victory Nor Defeat.” ~Theodore Roosevelt
[/size]
Re: ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by posakosa(m): 12:43am On Oct 13, 2009
It depends on how the criticism is presented.
Re: ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by mohawkchic(f): 12:51am On Oct 13, 2009
posakosa:

It depends on how the criticism is presented.

[size=13pt]~Taken into account that fact,how have you responded?[/size]
Re: ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by posakosa(m): 12:54am On Oct 13, 2009
mohawkchic:

[size=13pt]~Taken into account that fact,how have you responded?[/size]

If its my boss at work, I figure out how I can improve by over analyzing my actions.
If its my parents, I cry: sometimes
If its a significant other: I ignore.
If its any of my siblings: I take it soo seriously.

If its a friend: I dismiss them.

for me, it depends who is presenting the information and how I receive them to be of worth in my life. i
Re: ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by Radiant(f): 1:19am On Oct 13, 2009
Really depends. I could welcome criticisms very well and appreciate the critic but if you're being the overzealous perfect wise fool then you might just get  what you're asking for  cheesy

Criticisms are good sometimes though.

Nice topic. wink
Re: ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by mohawkchic(f): 1:28am On Oct 13, 2009
posakosa:

If its my boss at work, I figure out how I can improve by over analyzing my actions.

for me, it depends who is presenting the information and how I receive them to be of worth in my life. i

[size=13pt]~Quite Interesting! It can be very painful coming from loved ones. . . [/size]
Re: ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by mohawkchic(f): 1:31am On Oct 13, 2009
Radiant:

Really depends. I could welcome criticisms very well and appreciate the critic but if you're being the overzealous perfect wise fool then you might just get  what you're asking for  cheesy

Criticisms are good sometimes though.

Nice topic.  wink

[size=13pt]~I sooo agree! but it never feels that way when its first given  grin

~Ta  wink
[/size]
Re: ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by Radiant(f): 1:37am On Oct 13, 2009
mohawkchic:

[size=13pt]~I sooo agree! but it never feels that way when its first given  grin

~Ta  wink
[/size]

Umm. . yea, the usual reaction though most times not said out is "ouch" grin It's all good though wink
Re: ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by mohawkchic(f): 2:03am On Oct 13, 2009
Radiant:

Umm. . yea, the usual reaction though most times not said out is "ouch" grin It's all good though wink

[size=13pt]~ grin You can say that again!

~I limit my interaction with highly critical/negative people even tho i am aware there's bound to be someone somewhere at any given time who'll always have the need itch to criticise what one's doing!! cheesy
[/size]
Re: ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by chic2pimp(m): 2:54am On Oct 13, 2009
It depends on who & how harsh the criticism is. If the criricism is right & just,i'll take in a good manner no matter how painful(it's a cliche,but the truth really does hurt grin grin) however if the criticism is bodering on abuse,you'll probably get a scolding from moi.
Re: ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by koolchicco: 11:31am On Oct 13, 2009
Depends on the motive. . . undecided
Re: ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by chiejik(f): 11:51am On Oct 13, 2009
it depends on the mood im in,if im anoid forget it
Re: ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by tytylayor: 12:43pm On Oct 13, 2009
posakosa:

seconded
Re: ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by posakosa(m): 12:47pm On Oct 13, 2009
mohawkchic:

[size=13pt]~Quite Interesting! It can be very painful coming from loved ones. . . [/size]

Actually it depends.

When it comes from my siblings its normally something that I NEED to hear. My older brother for example has a method of correcting/critizing you in a way that you can just want to change right there and then, we call him the judge of the house. I think thats his gift, he has a way of presenting good and bad information with love, caution, and tenderness. smiley
Re: ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by crispchild(m): 1:02pm On Oct 13, 2009
am patient wih those that advice not criticise, cos i ve realised that most people dat do criticise r mostly out to destroy. to me, there is no such thing as a constructive criticism.advice is like bringing out trash from the disposal wiping it off n painting over the ugly picture n presenting it as more than its worth
Re: ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by andray: 1:17pm On Oct 13, 2009
[i]WEE, [/i] Everybody has his or her own way of responding, i like to behave marturely and accept the way the critics go, one thing i no for sure is that i am a man of loyalty and i dont want to get scouge outside but if the situation calls for it let them say, everybody has a mouth, and i will always remember what my mama used to say: "Talk is cheap:, the real point hear is leet them say
Re: ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by sayso: 1:20pm On Oct 13, 2009
but doesn't it strengthen you?
Re: ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by otukpo(f): 1:50pm On Oct 13, 2009
As a matter of fact, i appreciate it when someone has the guts to criticise me. But definitely not in a way to riducle me. I sit back work on it and make sure i come out better.
Re: ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by MrCrackles(m): 1:57pm On Oct 13, 2009
A decent topic to post on at last. . . . cheesy
Phew, criticism, fierce critics, i dont really like. . . .But then i guess no one else really like em grin
As long as it is justifiable to criticize, then i am cool with it. . . . . .
In most cases, i take criticisms on the chin, however i could spill a spontaneous reaction, at the same time still respect my critic's point!
Re: ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by desthan(m): 4:22pm On Oct 13, 2009
MrCrackles:

Phew, criticism, fierce critics, i dont really like. . . .But then i guess no one else really like em grin
In most cases, i take criticisms on the chin, however i could spill a spontaneous reaction, at the same time still respect my critic's point!

I couldn't agree more cool

As part of your independent-minded journey, many people will oppose you along the way. Some will oppose you by saying that you “can’t” do the things you’ve planned. Others will try to impose their own arbitrary rules on you. Others will be jealous of your success and try to bring you down to the level of average, so dealing with this critics will require wisdom.

Most of the times you respond to critics, you should be reasonably polite. Force yourself to smile, and thank the person for sharing their opinion with you. It’s not always their fault—just remember that most people are threatened by revolutionary ideas. Once in a while they may even be right, so be sure you consider whether that is a possibility before writing it off.

Other times, you should fight back. Your response shouldn’t usually be that strong, because negative thinkers can only rarely be persuaded to change their minds. Rather, your goal is just to stand your ground, making it clear that you believe in your goals and worldview, and won’t be taken down so easily. Tell them why they’re wrong, but do it in a subtle way.

You can also choose more direct confrontation, but realize that you may be crucified for this strategy. Remember Martin Luther, the original one, when he was on trial for his life in the year 1520. Luther was asked if he would recant his unconventional writing. He took the question seriously and asked for a day to think about it. The next day he returned to the stand. His famous response, before being sentenced to death, made it clear that he wouldn’t back down I can and will not retract, for it is neither safe nor wise to do anything against conscience. Here I stand. I can do no other. God help me.

The Inward Response

Regardless of whether you shake the dust off your feet or strike back, your inward response to negativity should be the same. You IGNORE the critics, and do EXACTLY what you had planned. That’s it.

Okay, there are a couple of other things. First, you have to deal with the inner stress of being alone. You’re not actually alone most of the time—lots of other people are dealing with the same kinds of challenges—but it certainly feels that way when you’re under attack.

Secondly, you need a way to monitor your progress. When you’re working towards something important and facing opposition along the way, you need to know you’re on the way track. You do that with setting sub-goals—smaller accomplishments that lead to your big goal—and having regular times of reviewing how things are going.

You can do this with a spreadsheet (I track my annual goals that way and use a quarterly review system), a journal, another master document, or whatever project management system works best for you. The point is you need to check in fairly often to maintain your own motivation when the going gets tough.

Peace out cool
Re: ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by Nezan(m): 5:35pm On Oct 13, 2009
I will be cool if it is constructive, and I decide what is constructive!
Re: ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by totalfact(m): 6:38pm On Oct 13, 2009
Be positive to all criticism!
Re: ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by MrTurkey(m): 6:40pm On Oct 13, 2009
mohawkchic:

[size=13pt]How Do You React/Respond/Handle Criticism Aimed At You? [/size]
i cackle, i cuckoo and i give a damn right answer. . .
Re: ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by dani1luv: 6:50pm On Oct 13, 2009
hmmn criticism

What do we even understand by criticism
cheesy
Re: ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by Nobody: 6:52pm On Oct 13, 2009
@ topic

There are these ugly ass who think they can comment on your looks. Hey I am not the one who'll take 11 years to dispose of those fat rolls. tongue
Re: ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by dani1luv: 7:04pm On Oct 13, 2009
michelin89:

@ topic

There are these ugly ass who think they can comment on your looks. Hey I am not the one who'll take 11 years to dispose of those fat rolls. tongue

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked cheesy
Re: ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by Nobody: 7:06pm On Oct 13, 2009
Criticisms by friends are welcome but there are some people who use them as a weapon against you. They try to destroy your self-esteem.

I don't tolerate those hypocrites. And most times they really have nothing to show for themselves expect their empty vessel.
Re: ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by etolaiya(f): 7:24pm On Oct 13, 2009
nobody likes critics/criticism cos it hurts esp when it's true!
but we love to give it, !
also, how can one criticize in a compassionate way (constructive criticism)?
loving or not it hurts!
so i stick my lips out n cry (secretly of course!) then i try to justify then i repent n hope to be better, and can't wait to criticize someone else too lol!

1 Like

Re: ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by Homonide: 7:47pm On Oct 13, 2009
To be fair, a good number of people, not excluding this writer react badly to criticism. We are often fierce in the defense of our ideas, to the point of

being belligerent.

I, for one don't mind being criticized, especially if it is constructive. I might squeeze my face and even be genuinely offended, but after reminiscing on

the suggestion of the critique, i decide whether the criticism was fair or otherwise. If fair, i try to adjust. If otherwise, then i discard it.
Re: ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by mohawkchic(f): 9:42pm On Oct 13, 2009
michelin89:

Criticisms by friends are welcome but there are some people who use them as a weapon against you. They try to destroy your self-esteem.

I don't tolerate those hypocrites. And most times they really have nothing to show for themselves expect their empty vessel.

[size=13pt]~Personal Attack Critiquing i dont rise to at all!! I flip into "damned if you do damned if you dont" mode! There's nothing to learn from it![/size]
Re: ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by mohawkchic(f): 9:45pm On Oct 13, 2009
MrCrackles:

[size=13pt]~Me & You Both!! I've always found it hard to swallow "Well Intentioned Criticism" to say the least!!

~I sometimes feel discouraged/upset but if there is something to learn from it,I eventually get my head round to filtering what i agree with/what i can change. . .

[/size]
Re: ~ How Do You React To Criticism? ~ by mohawkchic(f): 9:57pm On Oct 13, 2009
posakosa:

Actually it depends.

When it comes from my siblings its normally something that I NEED to hear. My older brother for example has a method of correcting/critizing you in a way that you can just want to change right there and then, we call him the judge of the house. I think thats his gift, he has a way of presenting good and bad information with love, caution, and tenderness. smiley

[size=13pt]~Aaaw! If only more people were like your brother!! My Dada was like that!

~I'll take Criticism that motivates & uplifts me to want to do better any day than one that pulls me down emotionally!!
[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Closed / I Am New Pls Wlc Me. / Got Questions About Anything In Nairaland? Ask It Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.