Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,657 members, 7,813,212 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:46 AM

See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden (64774 Views)

Orange Tree Bears Tangerines In Osun (Photos) / I Found Multiple Pythons On My Farm (Photos) / Boy Falls Off Palm Tree And Dies In Anambra (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by rukygold001(f): 4:31pm On Sep 23, 2016
ooooo my favorite
Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by sidneyj(m): 4:36pm On Sep 23, 2016
EternalTruth:
manner or manna??
wow!!! forgotten people like u exist
all of the above miss/mr
Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by LasPlagas: 4:42pm On Sep 23, 2016
We call it Bayelsa maggot in Yenagoa. Some Ijaw folks even eat it raw after biting off the head.

1 Like

Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by mengho(m): 4:42pm On Sep 23, 2016
looks........yummy?
Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by Badtman(m): 4:53pm On Sep 23, 2016
sanandreas:
Sapele people would understand. It goes with kpokpo garri. Simply delicious.
Bro just five of this Delicious na 200 to 300 Naira for Sapele roundabout O

1 Like

Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by Ahmadgani(m): 4:56pm On Sep 23, 2016
there is love in sharing
Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by brownlolly(m): 5:10pm On Sep 23, 2016
gozzlin:

Bigot, blinded by his hatred for Igbos. Please take time to read through the comments on this thread and see that other Nigerians, including yorubas, especially ekiti people attest to the fact that they eat it.

Make hatred and bitterness no kiii you o.

Call me whatever. I'm just stating the fact.

Or you think the war didn't change their mind set?
Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by solasalako(m): 5:26pm On Sep 23, 2016
sorextee:
fry and garnish it, then soak garri with am.. ijebu garri with cold water.. the last time i ate this was in lagos... smiley

It is called ITUN in Yoruba language
Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by lookmangiw(m): 5:27pm On Sep 23, 2016
i can't imagine myself eating those disgusting things. over my dead body
Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by Solmax(m): 5:28pm On Sep 23, 2016
can't get myself to eat these at all
Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by freecocoa(f): 5:35pm On Sep 23, 2016
Rozaystunna:
trust me its tasty AF when garnished #agebutter
Not in a zillion lifetimes will I eat that, I have tried severally to get snail into my mouth but have never been able to let alone this one that looks like fattened maggot, just too gross.

Thanks but I'll pass.
Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by kelvindim(m): 5:38pm On Sep 23, 2016
SweetJoystick:

Smh Dumbo jumbo..... Google is available on your phone. Do you know what weevil is? What they feed on and their habitat? If you don't know keep quiet. Read and learn from others, dont rush to make a comment so as not to look stupid because you want to make a comment on a thread.... Lastly, be slow to speak and quick to listen, in this case listening is reading, speaking is typing...ever wondered why you have two ears and one mouth?
You need not insult him like that, it's too harsh.

Well you're actually wrong and he is right. It is called a PALM WEEVIL LARVAE mostly found in dead palm trees, also you can find them in coconut trees, they are mainly regarded as pest which infest palm and coconut trees by boring holes and feeding on their roots until the tree dies.

It contains 60% protein and it is edible and delicious, you can actually get most of its protein by eating it raw, very yummy!

P.S: Next time don't attack someone like that without making research because you might actually make a fool of yourself. You can look it up if you still doubt.

1 Like

Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by Rozaystunna(m): 5:39pm On Sep 23, 2016
freecocoa:
Not in a zillion lifetimes will I eat that, I have tried severally to get snail into my mouth but have never been able to let alone this one that looks like fattened maggot, just too gross.

Thanks but I'll pass.
OK suite yourself you don't know what you're missing
Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by iwadobo: 5:41pm On Sep 23, 2016
LifeDrama:
God have mercy on us all...don't let us die of hunger, don't allow hunger make us think worm is the best meal for us. Father God we love u..Amen

Omo, if you taste that stuff, you won't love to eat any other meat again oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. I just remembered last week and I have started making contacts with the villagers to kindly contact me whenever they have it so that I can travel down from Lagos to Edo state just to get it . That thing, even the smell alone can give something similar to orgasm . A trial will convince you . Traveling home will cost me more than 25k , on fuel, but I don't mind spending twice of the money to get that stuff . Omo, best thing ever created ,after man
Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by sorextee(m): 5:43pm On Sep 23, 2016
Thank you very much.. This kind thing scarce for maiduguri here... cry

solasalako:

It is called ITUN in Yoruba language
Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by kelvindim(m): 5:44pm On Sep 23, 2016
PrinceEvolution:
in warri we enjoy this kpokpo garri then...i miss my younger days then like kilode..infact just pepper this yummies chill under tree with palmwine or correct ogorro u will forget recession..
What is now the difference between palm wine and ogorro? You're being tautological, palm wine is the English name while ogorro is the local name. smiley

1 Like

Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by kelvindim(m): 5:46pm On Sep 23, 2016
Louiscutedude:
Wat z it called in English pls...
It is call palm weevil larvae.

1 Like

Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by MICHEALADEX(m): 5:48pm On Sep 23, 2016
Naughtysite:

No dey do that kind thing alone next time..

OK nah I go invite you wen next we go for projects...but nha 10 naira each....i guess the man inflate am small knowing am not ndigbo grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by sufficientGod(f): 5:49pm On Sep 23, 2016
Nigerian can eat anything.
Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by Vince77(m): 5:51pm On Sep 23, 2016
freecocoa:

Thanks but I'll pass.
For me, snail is the best meat ever.

Prob is that its too expensive.
Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by fsb(m): 6:00pm On Sep 23, 2016
Rhino beetle larvae....they are rich in protein

2 Likes

Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by Stanbeto: 6:03pm On Sep 23, 2016
We call it Utukuru akpi okpoo
Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by teemswest(m): 6:12pm On Sep 23, 2016
kelvindim:
You need not insult him like that, it's too harsh.
Well you're actually wrong and he is right. It is called a PALM WEEVIL LARVAE mostly found in dead palm trees, also you can find them in coconut trees, they are mainly regarded as pest which infest palm and coconut trees by boring holes and feeding on their roots until the tree dies.
It contains 60% protein and it is edible and delicious, you can actually get most of its protein by eating it raw, very yummy!
P.S: Next time don't attack someone like that without making research because you might actually make a fool of yourself. You can look it up if you still doubt.
the guy na olodo
SweetJoystick:

Smh Dumbo jumbo..... Google is available on your phone. Do you know what weevil is? What they feed on and their habitat? If you don't know keep quiet. Read and learn from others, dont rush to make a comment so as not to look stupid because you want to make a comment on a thread.... Lastly, be slow to speak and quick to listen, in this case listening is reading, speaking is typing...ever wondered why you have two ears and one mouth?
Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by VajanahDischaj(f): 6:21pm On Sep 23, 2016
handysuzy:
The economic situation of the nation will make Nigerian to eat even faeces
physics not faeces
Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by thatguystephen(m): 6:22pm On Sep 23, 2016
this is the palm weevil larvae known as rhynchophorus ferrugineus. I know of a team that was working on commercially rearing and marketing them.
not cheap.. million dollar project.
insects are a huge thing now globally with concerns for food security and the sustainable production of animal protein on the rise. entomophagy
Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by Barigaboy(m): 6:23pm On Sep 23, 2016
Ma shey je kokoro buburu nni
Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by kelvindim(m): 6:29pm On Sep 23, 2016
VajanahDischaj:
physics not faeces
grin
Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by kelvindim(m): 6:32pm On Sep 23, 2016
teemswest:
the guy na olodo
grin
Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by hadura29(m): 6:34pm On Sep 23, 2016
It's called wankru wankru... grin he dey sweet
Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by MsBella: 6:46pm On Sep 23, 2016
*shuddering* lipsrsealed embarassed lipsrsealed
Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by PrinceEvolution(m): 6:53pm On Sep 23, 2016
i know brother i talk am like that for hommies wey love to stick local or go foreign... grin grin grin...just like gin or ogogorro..nor try me oooooo
kelvindim:
What is now the difference between palm wine and ogorro? You're being tautological, palm wine is the English name while ogorro is the local name. smiley
Re: See What I Found In The Dead Palm Tree On Our Home Garden by DECOtech(m): 6:54pm On Sep 23, 2016
Handsomecole:
More pictures.
Grubs for sima, timone and pumba

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish / Guitarfish Caught By Fishermen In Lagos Lagoon This Morning (Photos) / WARNING: Front Page Hijacking No Longer Allowed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.