Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,773 members, 7,809,981 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:13 PM

See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode (22110 Views)

Lagos Residents Go Topless To Protest Against Local Government Election. Photos / “save Our Only Community Primary School” – Itowolo Residents Tell Ambode / LASEMA Officials Rescue Trapped Lagos Residents From Flood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode by Damilola929(m): 2:12am On Sep 24, 2016
By Bose Adelaja, Ebun Sessou, Damilola Olabiyisi & Obinna Mbajunwa

Governor Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos State is daily winning the hearts of many residents. No week passes without the commissioning one project or the other.

Road construction appears his major focus although other sectors are also receiving attention. The first phase has the government commissioning 114 roads across the length and breadth of the state. The second phase will commence soon. Ambode stands out among the governors. His performance speaks for him.

In spite of this, a walk round Lagos reveals that many major roads require urgent attention to ease off traffic jam in those areas.

Some of the roads have turned death traps. Hoodlums rob and dispossess innocent road users of their belongings on these bad spots.

The 114 roads were designed with walkways, medians, street lights and standard drainage systems in readiness for the building of the mega city.

However, some scenes may not be pleasant to a first time visitor during the rainy season.

In Apapa, some of the roads begging for attention are Airways junction, Eleganza to Flourmill, in Ikorodu, places like Isawo road, Igbo-Olomu, Ijede road,
Ebute/Igbogbo road, Bayeku road, Igbe road, Erunwen road and Bola Ahmed Tinubu Way, Igbogbo require government attention before the next wet season.

In Mende, Maryland, areas like Arowojobe, Soluyi and several others are deplorable due to years of neglect by by the past administrations.
At Soluyi, Gbagada, residents complain about poor state of access roads to their community.

A walk round the area reveals there are about four roads in the community to connect Ogudu, Maryland, and Ifako areas, but the routes are inaccessible to vehicles and some of the residents have to park their cars and trek a long distance to their various homes. They are left with the option to access the only road near Gbagada General Hospital which is far for many of them.

In Mushin, places like Daleko, Ojuwoye, Oju-Erin, Olosa, Moshalashi, Palm Avenue, Idi-Araba and many others are also begging for attention while in Surulere, Lawanson, Itire Ijesha and so many others require reconstruction and rehabilitation.

Others are Ayetoro/Itele road, Ekoro road, Meiran road, Suberu-Oje road, Kollington/Agbado road and Ajegunle/Abule-Iroko road all in Alimosho area which have turned to death traps.
In Apapa, residents claimed the Airways junction was formerly rehabilitated by a Good Samaritan who was later discouraged and the road is now out of use to motorists.

During Saturday Vanguard’s visit to the area, residents lamented the deplorable condition of the road which has affected a lot of businesses.

Same is the case with Lekki-Epe where road users groan daily because of the near collapse of some roads. A commercial bus driver Obi Chukwu, lamented the poor condition of the roads, he said, “The effect of bad roads in Lagos can be frustrating, not only does it cause untold hardship to many road users but also exposes them to danger and insecurity,”

Narrating her experience, a car owner Uju Nwokedi told Saturday Vanguardhow she was attacked by hoodlums on her way home last week.

According to her, “there was traffic jam on Lekki/Epe expressway and I decided to use the alternative route but barely five minutes into the Ikota First Gate route to burst out to Ilaje, I was attacked by some hoodlums who collected my phones, laptops and cash.”

At Mushin/Isolo road, a commercial driver, Kazeem Fatai narrated how he ventured into the business in 2010, unfortunately, the effect of bad road is already taken its toll on him.

In Igbogbo, Ikorodu, the immediate past administration started a road project on Igbogbo/Ebute road but this was done half way leaving road users to die in silence due to the dilapidated road network.

A resident of Abigail Sobajo street James Ogunyemi urged the state government to look into their plight by fixing the road.

A pupil of AUD Primary School, Igbogbo, Lukman Oduniyi said ‘’this is the only road leading to my school but we have been finding it difficult to access it especially at peak hours because some commercial motorcycles charge astronomically due to the poor condition of the road,”
During a visit to Apapa, it was observed that the Airways junction and Flourmill areas have been washed off by rains.

The Sole Administrator of Oshodi/Isolo local government, Adebayo Taiwo said the re-construction of some streets in Oshodi which include Ogunlana and Boladale among others can only commence later.

Reacting to the development, the Chairman House Committee on Works and Infrastructure, Abiodun Tobun, said the state government was trying its best to ensure that roads in Lagos are in good shape.

He disclosed that, apart from the 114 roads that are being commissioned by the state government, the representatives of all the local councils have been asked to submit the list of bad roads in their communities to begin the second phase of road construction.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/09/see-need-lagos-residents-tell-ambode/

2 Likes

Re: See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode by Makamuanwuo(m): 2:54am On Sep 24, 2016
okey......noted

next pls

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode by femmy2010(m): 2:58am On Sep 24, 2016
Trust the Governor would yield to this .
Itesiwaju Lagos lo matter most.

5 Likes

Re: See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode by SamuelAnyawu(m): 3:13am On Sep 24, 2016
Ambode cool
Re: See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode by Deepfreezer(m): 3:16am On Sep 24, 2016
Dude is trying honestly, was in Lagos recently and im impressed with Ambode.

8 Likes

Re: See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode by wristbangle: 5:14am On Sep 24, 2016
One step at a time. He listens to people's plight and I know he will deliver the people's need.

9 Likes

Re: See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode by 49cents(m): 6:04am On Sep 24, 2016
I love Ambode but why is the state government doing LG roads?

The LGs must be allowed to be free from the SG's stranglehood and then we will see rapid infrastructural development!!

Africans and their hold on power is so bad,.....imagine if PDP, Accord and Kowa have just a local government each where they collect Land Use charges and taxes for their LG then you will see competition among LGs with the beneficiaries being the people....

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode by Pavore9: 6:30am On Sep 24, 2016
49cents:

The LGs must be allowed to be free from the SG's stranglehood and then we will see rapid infrastructural development!!

Africans and their hold on power is so bad,.....imagine if PDP, Accord and Kowa have just a local government each where they collect Land Use charges and taxes for their LG then you will see competition among LGs with the beneficiaries being the people....

Social media activism will make more impact. Let people upload pictures, tweet and re-tweet poor infrastructures in their localities and ask how much is accruing to their local government areas monthly!

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode by Boleyndynasty2(f): 6:49am On Sep 24, 2016
His one if not the best Governor so far, God bless him

3 Likes

Re: See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode by Nobody: 9:05am On Sep 24, 2016
Lagos a self sustaining state. People can hate but abeg on this 1 APC will always take a +

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode by Ekejoestar(m): 9:05am On Sep 24, 2016
K
Re: See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode by Smooyis(m): 9:08am On Sep 24, 2016
Ejigbo roads are begging for help. Kudos for the ones that have been done.

4 Likes

Re: See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode by Nobody: 9:09am On Sep 24, 2016
With all this praises why won't God bless this man, it's not by distributing rice and sharing money to close allies, whenever I think of Bayelsa state "my state" e dey do me like say make I cry, Rivers state when dey backyard is progressing while we are stuck in the stone age.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode by Nobody: 9:11am On Sep 24, 2016
49cents:

Nah boss. U need to knw how LG's embezzle mehn. It might work in other states but not in Lagos. Most LG chairpersons are only there for the money

3 Likes

Re: See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode by buchilino(m): 9:13am On Sep 24, 2016
PERSONALLY I DON'T HAVE MUCH PROBLEM WITH AMBODE, BUT D IDEA DAT BAT MAYBE SOME WHERE DICTATING HOW THINGS SHOULD BE DONE, IS WAT GIVES ME D CRISP N GOOSEBUMPS.

2 Likes

Re: See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode by darocha1: 9:16am On Sep 24, 2016
egan- igando (agric rd, modinna rd).
i keep asking if a local government chairman ever existed in this areas

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode by Nobody: 9:18am On Sep 24, 2016
Intestingly, BAT seems to be dictating the right things to Ambode, given his performance

buchilino:
PERSONALLY I DON'T HAVE MUCH PROBLEM WITH AMBODE, BUT D IDEA DAT BAT MAYBE SOME WHERE DICTATING HOW THINGS SHOULD BE DONE, IS WAT GIVES ME D CRISP N GOOSEBUMPS.

10 Likes

Re: See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode by Nobody: 9:19am On Sep 24, 2016
70% of the mentioned roads are federal government roads, so they should direct it to BRF
Re: See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode by Opistorincos(m): 9:22am On Sep 24, 2016
Okay
Re: See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode by buchilino(m): 9:31am On Sep 24, 2016
sanky346:
Intestingly, BAT seems to be dictating the right things to Ambode, given his performance

MAYBE OR MAYBE NOT BUT IF A FULL AUDITING IS DONE ON HOW MUCH LAGOS FINANCES IS SPENT ON PROJECTS, I WONDER HOW U WILL REACT. B4 PAST GOVERNORS OF ANAMBRA STATE WILL TELL U DAT THEY SPENT 1.5 BILLION 2 CONSTRUCT A ROAD DAT IS LESS THAN 2KM. BUT WEN NGIGE BECAME GOVERNOR, HE USED D SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY 2 TO BUILD 5 NEW ROADS. N TILL NOW WE R STILL ENJOYING THOSE ROADS. MY POINT IS AMBODE MAYBE DOING A GOOD BUT AT WAT COST?. IS D MONEY OVER BLOATED?. THESE R QUESTIONS PPLE SHOULD BE ASKING. D NORTH DIDN'T ASK THESE QUESTIONS, DAT Y THEY R WHERE THEY R PRESENTLY.

3 Likes

Re: See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode by Exponental(m): 9:35am On Sep 24, 2016
That list can never end. Many roads have been abandoned for too long. Maintenance culture is poor. We do corrective maintenance rather than preventive maintenance. Most new sites (as old as 20yrs) have never been attended to. e.g Ayobo/ Ayetoro road.

3 Likes

Re: See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode by Femich18(m): 9:37am On Sep 24, 2016
priceaction:
70% of the mentioned roads are federal government roads, so they should direct it to BRF
Must you comment?
Re: See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode by 49cents(m): 9:40am On Sep 24, 2016
prof1990:

Nah boss. U need to knw how LG's embezzle mehn. It might work in other states but not in Lagos. Most LG chairpersons are only there for the money

LG chairmen are hardly elected, do not have the economic freedom to do anything drastic and transformational.....

If elections are for every 4 years like in the states, why won't an LG chairman work hard to win his people over......

It's easier for distant governor to embezzle money and rig elections than for a local government chairman.......

Local government elections will be the most bereft of ethnic and religious sentiments because un-fixed bad roads affects all; ill equiped health centers is suffered by all......so at the end the locals will vote based on crediblity than all else

Grass roots politics is a sure way grow your political carreer into bigger public office, based on your track record of service and transparency........lesser need for god fathers and all
Re: See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode by preyah: 9:44am On Sep 24, 2016
Ok
Re: See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode by moufan: 9:44am On Sep 24, 2016
ambode is the best governor in nigeria presently and i hope his advisers will alert him to other parts of the state needing attention.
Re: See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode by osile2012: 9:54am On Sep 24, 2016
[size=18pt]Ambode my man .[/size]

Re: See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode by photoshoot(m): 10:02am On Sep 24, 2016
sad
Re: See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode by DeRay98(m): 10:04am On Sep 24, 2016
49cents:

Theory, local government were created autonomous with federal allocation to bring grassroot developments. But from 1999-2007, nothing happened. While the populace were looking up to state govts, LG chairmen and councillors were busy sharing monthly allocations without supervision or intereference from SG.
SG started controlling the LG funds and elections afterwards because nothing was coming out of LG areas with billions the SG released to from FG.
Abiodun Faleke the Kogi aborted Deputy Govnor was LG Chairman in Ojodu LDC in Lagos for at least 8yrs.
That's where he got all the money influence to rise the level in Kogi.
LG administrations in Nig are a complete SCAM in all the states.

1 Like

Re: See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode by Nobody: 10:05am On Sep 24, 2016
With the low quality roads being built abi...useless government

1 Like

Re: See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode by ifewise(m): 10:07am On Sep 24, 2016
With d way Ambode is going,He will definitely slide line BRF.He looks calm & Making massive Impact in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: See Where We Need You, Lagos Residents Tell Ambode by stainless239(f): 10:33am On Sep 24, 2016
Smooyis:
Ejigbo roads are begging for help. Kudos for the ones that have been done.

iyana ejigbo most especially

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

PDP Members Celebrating Supreme Court Victory (Photos) / "I Was Like A Yam In PDP, When I Left They Became An Empty Basin"—Akpabio Boasts / INEC Sacks REC Frankland Briyai ‘For Joining APC’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.