Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,839 members, 7,813,805 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:44 PM

How Do You Pronounce These Words? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Do You Pronounce These Words? (42252 Views)

8 Words We Pronounce Wrongly Everyday – Everyone Is Guilty Of No 5 / 95% Will Pronounce This Number Wrongly.. / See How Nigerians Pronounce Words According To Ghanians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Pronounce These Words? by placeofallure(f): 7:03pm On Sep 24, 2016
Lieutenant - Lutenant/ Leftenant
Chaos - Keios
Debris - Debri
Pseudo - Sido
Annihilate - Anahailate
Tomb - Tum
Column - Kolom
Horizon - Horaizn
Gigantic - Jaigantic
Marijuana - Marihuana
Awry - Orai
Defiant - Difaiant
Re: How Do You Pronounce These Words? by mu2sa2: 7:34pm On Sep 24, 2016
lepasharon:

I cannot stand the way they say the name Deborah and Janet
The o is silent in Deborah (you pronounce it "Debrah"wink; Janet is pronounced as spelt but accent is on ja (Ja-net).
Re: How Do You Pronounce These Words? by Wefiak1414(m): 7:36pm On Sep 24, 2016
Iceland, Clinched Doves Mensuration Ace Pinched Proliferation Prologue League Liesteiner Einstein Hmmm this words are not pronounce they way they are... Try new method
Re: How Do You Pronounce These Words? by lepasharon(f): 7:53pm On Sep 24, 2016
dtruseeker:
no you didn't I would have given you a jersey

lool

1 Like

Re: How Do You Pronounce These Words? by luckyz4rea(m): 7:55pm On Sep 24, 2016
Bnladan:
Sachet, buffet and Cabaret are all pronounced without d "t". But I bet u many pronounced dem with d t. Another word giving Nigerians problem is "schedule".

It is pronounced "skejule"
Re: How Do You Pronounce These Words? by devvland(m): 7:57pm On Sep 24, 2016
lanicky:
How about

Sacred.. It's sikred not sakred
Listen. Is pronounced without the letter *t*

Sachet... Pronounced as *sachay*

Receipt.. Pronounced without the letter *P*

Isle.. Pronounced as *highl* not *aisle*

How's lalasticlala pronounced?

Barackodam... Jigsawkillah. tongue

Baba Fela: Teacher, no teach me nonsense.

Sacred: /Secred/

Listen: /Lisn/

Sachet: /Sachey/

Isle: /ail/ as in "aeel" or "ighl"
Re: How Do You Pronounce These Words? by orlahtohbadt(m): 8:01pm On Sep 24, 2016
mu2sa2:
You are dead wrong-i'm proudly naija. Ghanaians pronounce these words correctly, though.
The owners of English pronounce but as buh and Senetor as Senituh... The "t" for the English people is most times silent... My point is that no body can speak a language like the owner... Germans bastardise English so does the Italians... Even the Ghanaians don't do justice to it like u think they do
Re: How Do You Pronounce These Words? by devvland(m): 8:03pm On Sep 24, 2016
J
placeofallure:
Lieutenant - Lutenant/ Leftenant

Chaos - Keios

Debris - Debri

Pseudo - Sido

Annihilate - Anahailate

Tomb - Tum

Column - Kolom

Horizon - Horaizn

Gigantic - Jaigantic

Marijuana - Marihuana

Awry - Orai

Defiant - Difaiant

Awry: /Awrai/

Marijuana: /Mariwana/

Column: /Kolium/

Annihilate: /Anayilet/

1 Like

Re: How Do You Pronounce These Words? by devvland(m): 8:12pm On Sep 24, 2016
priceaction:

Thanks dearrie, I always think it is something like voi-nei grin

It's actually "ivon"
Re: How Do You Pronounce These Words? by Noblewhiz(m): 8:16pm On Sep 24, 2016
Bnladan:
Sachet, buffet and Cabaret are all pronounced without d "t". But I bet u many pronounced dem with d t. Another word giving Nigerians problem is "schedule".
schedule b lyk skedule.
Am i corect
Re: How Do You Pronounce These Words? by Noblewhiz(m): 8:16pm On Sep 24, 2016
Bnladan:
Re: How Do You Pronounce These Words? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Sep 24, 2016
those ones hard what of these ones vanguard-fangad church-shorsh love-lorf live-liif size-sayis said-zed
Re: How Do You Pronounce These Words? by Noblewhiz(m): 8:24pm On Sep 24, 2016
CHASM ni?
Re: How Do You Pronounce These Words? by Dwightventures(m): 8:33pm On Sep 24, 2016
Hello all. This is a pitch: I spent the last 22 years learning how to properly pronounce English words from the Oxford Advanced Learners' Dictionary and how to better improve oral English communication. I perfected it in the United Kingdom. I offer that skill in either a one-on-one setting, or a class setting with a group of learners. Improve your life today by speaking English clearly and with finesse. This training is best for kids just starting out in life. Older people can learn also but it is always much harder to have permanent results. I did learn in my 20s so if you put your mind to it, you can still achieve noticeable results. I charge 2000 naira per hour. Price quoted is per hour charge; the more the participants, the less each person pays (Max 10 people). The goal is not to sound phoney like so many poorly-trained or untrained people who give us a bad name, but to sound how your very Nigerian forbears sounded in the '60s and earlier. You may need to go to Youtube and listen to Nigerians - in Nigeria - in the pre-Independence and immediate post-Independence period. Nigeria is regressing in all aspects and especially in how we speak English and it is being carried on by emotional blackmail of those of us who have put in the effort to sound as correctly as we used to sound in this same country. Listen today to Olu Jacobs, Keppy Ekpeyong-Bassey, Soyinka, Onyeka Onwenu and you'll get an idea the proper way a Nigerian should speak English words. Reach me on Dwightventures@gmail.com for further information
Re: How Do You Pronounce These Words? by Drabrah(m): 9:39pm On Sep 24, 2016
SPDAZZY:
Lol, I thank God I studied French Language, I now know the right pronunciations.

Hmmm
Ca va?
Re: How Do You Pronounce These Words? by Bnladan(m): 10:06pm On Sep 24, 2016
Noblewhiz:
schedule b lyk skedule.
Am i corect
I think so
Re: How Do You Pronounce These Words? by SPDAZZY(f): 10:10pm On Sep 24, 2016
Drabrah:

Hmmm
Ca va?

Bien merci monsieur. Et vous ?
Re: How Do You Pronounce These Words? by rezzy: 10:23pm On Sep 24, 2016
Swizdom:
Bouquet

Semi-colon

Spinach

Inventory

I learnt that word why in secondary school. Anybody that claims he knows how to spell any word, I will just say the word and ask him to spell it
Re: How Do You Pronounce These Words? by rezzy: 10:28pm On Sep 24, 2016
priceaction:
What about yvonne?I always see people bearing that name but don't know the pronouciation

Rather they bear the name but don't know how to spell it. A girl spells hers as Ivon
Re: How Do You Pronounce These Words? by NeutralJUDGE(m): 10:34pm On Sep 24, 2016
Etiquette... Euphonious... Archaic... All hail our queen...siqht u jae
Re: How Do You Pronounce These Words? by Swizdom(m): 10:47pm On Sep 24, 2016
rezzy:

I learnt that word why in secondary school. Anybody that claims he knows how to spell any word, I will just say the word and ask him to spell it

I bet they would stare at you like you were a dummy when you spell "B O U Q U E T" instead of their "B O K A Y" or "B O Q A Y", while not knowing they were the real dummies.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Pronounce These Words? by Everfrank(m): 10:55pm On Sep 24, 2016
Ikebastronomanatomicology. Lol.
Re: How Do You Pronounce These Words? by onionsoup(f): 10:55pm On Sep 24, 2016
Juanita is pronounced Wanita
Sword is pronounced Sord
Buhari is pronounced Buhari or Bubu depending on if you had a meal that day.grin grin

1 Like

Re: How Do You Pronounce These Words? by Siaprah(f): 11:26pm On Sep 24, 2016
SPDAZZY:
Lol, I thank God I studied French Language, I now know the right pronunciations.

buh u didn't learn spellings
Re: How Do You Pronounce These Words? by zemaik(m): 12:32am On Sep 25, 2016
Pronounciation-pronon sia tion.
Re: How Do You Pronounce These Words? by Drabrah(m): 1:18am On Sep 25, 2016
SPDAZZY:

Bien merci monsieur. Et vous ?

Je suis bien.
Pardon moi, Je ne parle français beaucoup mai j'aime la langue.
Donc, j'aime rencontre avec person qui parle la langue beaucoup.
Re: How Do You Pronounce These Words? by emeka2847: 1:42am On Sep 25, 2016
Appalling
Re: How Do You Pronounce These Words? by ceeceeco: 2:20am On Sep 25, 2016
pteridophyta, chlerenchyma, psyche.
Re: How Do You Pronounce These Words? by Explorers(m): 3:26am On Sep 25, 2016
onionsoup:
Juanita is pronounced Wanita
Sword is pronounced Sord
Buhari is pronounced Buhari or Bubu depending on if you had a meal that day.grin grin

Perfect, the W is silent. I can remember........

Emperor: Give me a 'Sord' 2×

Commander: Shealth your 'Sord' 2×

Same here bro..

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Pronounce These Words? by placeofallure(f): 3:46am On Sep 25, 2016
priceaction:
What about yvonne?I always see people bearing that name but don't know the pronouciation

Yvonne pronounced as he-von

Yvette pronounced as he-vet
Re: How Do You Pronounce These Words? by lepasharon(f): 3:53am On Sep 25, 2016
placeofallure:

Yvonne pronounced as he-von

Yvette pronounced as he-vet

wrong

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Which University Is The Most Beautiful In Nigeria? (photos) / Olajide Sanyaolu: Student Helped By Davido Graduates With First Class / The People Of Covenant University In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.