Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,996 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:31 AM

How A Nigerian Scammer Ruined My Life - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How A Nigerian Scammer Ruined My Life (1156 Views)

How A Chinese Businesman Identified A Nigerian Scammer On Facebook Messenger / Blogger Shares Screenshot Of Her Chat With A Nigerian Scammer Posing As Diddy / Between An Australian Imam And A Nigerian Scammer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How A Nigerian Scammer Ruined My Life by Nobody: 6:39pm On Sep 24, 2016
I am a Nigerian, I think I my story gives me an experience of how it feels, losing money over the internet. Many foreigners lose huge amount of money, and I think 'the Boys' never take out time to think of how the people the duped feel or what they go through.

I left my village for my state capital, Calabar, early 2010 for ICT training. Within Six months, I'd attended a level of proficiency, and I had a chance to work in a cyber café- Both attending to customers and maintaining their systems.

In 2014, I got admitted to study Computer Science in one of the Universities in my State. My Uncle for the first time accepted to take the responsibility of training my in school. Promising to pay just my tuition, leaving my mum to pay my rent and feeding, and myself to hussle my way through school. With my Fees being paid, I always had about 4k to survive on for a month.

By the end of my first year in school, around February 2015, I was already on 4.2 something, but feeding and survival were biting and getting harder. I had to lay my hands on so many things including doing assignment, blogging, and helping students do their course registration.

To boost my income and source of survival, I thought of venturing into Short code business. After coming up with a business plan, I did a feasibility study, and I decided to be sending Football news and transfer update to subscribers, I did a research which led me to one website I can't remember the URL. After talking with a guy through the number I saw on their website , my only hope for startup capital was my uncle.

On meeting with him, my uncle who was somehow becoming nice to me, probably because of my school performance, was ready to loan the #70k I needed to start the business with. And I was to refund it with a little interest within six months.

Fully prepared to start, I deposited the #70k to the the GTBank account of the Short code company on April 23, 2015. The setup was supposed to take 3 weeks, and it wasn't a long time to wait. By June, I heard nothing from the guy and my calls went unanswered, I sent them an email.

The following Semester was my worst. Aside the normal struggles for survival, I was depressed by the debt I owed my uncle and the fears that I was duped. The thought of raising money to pay my uncle, made me go for daily jobs within Calabar. With no hope of raising the money, I played Naija Bet and at times I worked at construction sites. And to sleep most nights, I had taken to alcohol. I could afford beer on some days but dry gin had turned the readily available alternative.

During the semester's break, I couldn't go home. The six months had passed and my uncle had started calling. I couldn't pick any calls from home any more. I couldn't tell my mum. I knew she had no savings and her pension wouldn't help. But the biggest problem was that I couldn't tell her. Even when my friends in school got worried about my performance in school, I couldn't tell any of them.

When we resumed for the next semester, my uncle didn't send my fees. I couldn't harbour the thought of dropping out, so I sold my most valuable possession- my laptop for #26k, to pay my fees. When results for the previous semester came, I had a truckload of carryovers. My CGPA was down to 1.9. With the short code company's number not going through, I gave up on everything. I was just surviving. Waiting for my uncle to unleash his anger.

Then on a fateful evening in November, my uncle visited me in school, accompanied by two policemen in a Volvo wagon. I couldn't talk to him or beg him, I sat quietly as I was driven to my Local Government Area. But instead of being taken to the police station, I was driven to one notorious money seller's house. He's so popular and influential that people most times use him to recover their debts. We got inside, I sat before what looked like a panel of more than 12 people. My uncle accused me of defrauding him after he had accepted to take the responsibility of sending me to school.

I couldn't defend myself. I couldn't even lift my head up. But finally I was asked to sign a document. Little did I know, I had signed an undertaking to pay #5k everyday, if I fail to refund the money in 30 days.

News had gone round, and I met my mum outside the man's gate. The policemen had left, so my uncle rode his motorcycle home and didn't talk to either my mum of myself. We took okada home, but that night was terrible. Mum for the first time since I was born, didn't talk to me. Twice she broke down in tears, and I couldn't bear it. I left for my lodge in school the following morning, only to meet a rumor I couldn't face- that I was arrested for defrauding my uncle.

I thought of running away, but I knew my mum wouldn't survive it. So I returned to the house, but it took me a week to tell her what happened. All she said was that I should have told her. She reminded me that my uncle never loved her nor myself and the fact that he's paying my fees shouldn't have made me go to him for help.

Two months of family meetings and begging my uncle passed, my uncle didn't say much, at times, he smiled and said he was only doing what was right- sustaining the family's legacy- integrity. Around March this year, we were told my debt was #220k having defaulted in repaying the loan. Mum had successfully raised #35k after series of borrowing. The family agreed we could sell the only land my mum could call hers.
Re: How A Nigerian Scammer Ruined My Life by Nobody: 6:39pm On Sep 24, 2016
With my uncle's debt settled. I had a bigger problem. It took mum's daily prayers and support to fight off thoughts of committing suicide. July ending, I'd gone back to the school to pack my few belongings and some of my credentials rats didn't do justice to.

I kept dialing the guy's number and it went through around that July, he promised to refund the money and asked me to forgive him. But now, he no longer picks his calls.

I couldn't figure out how to take legal actions. Besides, I have never visited Lagos and couldn't travel there myself. I shared this story so people can maybe learn and be more careful than I was.

You may not understand my story, until you picture a 22 year old boy who left his village in 2010, had admission in to the university in 2014 and now sells recharge card in that same village. Also popular for defrauding his uncle.

I've moved on with life, though we still feel the weight of the debt, mum keeps telling me, I shouldn't give up. But to be sincere, I don't know what to think. Most of the young boys I used to mentor are in school, and when they return, I can't even look at their faces. Parents who used to ask their children to be friends with me, now warn them to keep away from me. The funniest is, those girls in the village that used to call me prof and crave for friendship, now do the type of 'shakara' I can't understand.

I have forgiven him, the more reason I haven't included his number. I am a Christian, so I believe in "forgive those who trespass against us"

1 Like

Re: How A Nigerian Scammer Ruined My Life by Nobody: 6:43pm On Sep 24, 2016
too long abi na novel u d type.
Re: How A Nigerian Scammer Ruined My Life by Nobody: 6:45pm On Sep 24, 2016
IamJix:
too long abi na novel u d type.

You may not understand, if I make the story shorter..

2 Likes

Re: How A Nigerian Scammer Ruined My Life by richidinho(m): 6:50pm On Sep 24, 2016
hmmmm.. Sorry op
Never give up pls

2 Likes

Re: How A Nigerian Scammer Ruined My Life by Nobody: 6:50pm On Sep 24, 2016
MrNairaland2019:

You may not understand, if I make the story shorter..
no qualms niqqa
Re: How A Nigerian Scammer Ruined My Life by Nobody: 7:00pm On Sep 24, 2016
richidinho:
hmmmm.. Sorry op
Never give up pls

Thanks #man
Re: How A Nigerian Scammer Ruined My Life by Nobody: 7:13pm On Sep 24, 2016
take heart tho I didn't read It embarassed
Re: How A Nigerian Scammer Ruined My Life by FlawlesRebirth02(f): 7:17pm On Sep 24, 2016
so touching....

3 Likes

Re: How A Nigerian Scammer Ruined My Life by greatnaija01: 7:25pm On Sep 24, 2016
MrNairaland2019:
With my uncle's debt settled. I had a bigger problem. It took mum's daily prayers and support to fight off thoughts of committing suicide. July ending, I'd gone back to the school to pack my few belongings and some of my credentials rats didn't do justice to.

I kept dialing the guy's number and it went through around that July, he promised to refund the money and asked me to forgive him. But now, he no longer picks his calls.

I couldn't figure out how to take legal actions. Besides, I have never visited Lagos and couldn't travel there myself. I shared this story so people can maybe learn and be more careful than I was.

You may not understand my story, until you picture a 22 year old boy who left his village in 2010, had admission in to the university in 2014 and now sells recharge card in that same village. Also popular for defrauding his uncle.

I've moved on with life, though we still feel the weight of the debt, mum keeps telling me, I shouldn't give up. But to be sincere, I don't know what to think. Most of the young boys I used to mentor are in school, and when they return, I can't even look at their faces. Parents who used to ask their children to be friends with me, now warn them to keep away from me. The funniest is, those girls in the village that used to call me prof and crave for friendship, now do the type of 'shakara' I can't understand.

I have forgiven him, the more reason I haven't included his number. I am a Christian, so I believe in "forgive those who trespass against us"

i can help u... PM me now

1 Like

Re: How A Nigerian Scammer Ruined My Life by ucheokpara100(m): 7:45pm On Sep 24, 2016
my brother dont give up me and u are in the same thing, me i worked 8 years took all my saving, borrowed from many people established a business on the land my father gave me my elder brother destroyed it in the name of (he is the first child) i attempted suicide but God saved me, pls be strong. iam broke now and iam also owing many people.
Re: How A Nigerian Scammer Ruined My Life by Nina4u(f): 9:03pm On Sep 24, 2016
Don't give up my dear.. Life is hard.. I been scammed to but not for more than I can live with.. Lessen learned..

1 Like

Re: How A Nigerian Scammer Ruined My Life by blithe2nice(m): 12:48pm On Sep 25, 2016
Never give up and taking one's life is never an option...Your helper is on the way. Just believe,and God will see you through.

1 Like

Re: How A Nigerian Scammer Ruined My Life by nextprince: 1:25pm On Sep 25, 2016
Without reading the story, I know the scammer belongs to the ugwu exporters grin
Re: How A Nigerian Scammer Ruined My Life by Nobody: 2:37pm On Sep 25, 2016
blithe2nice:
Never give up and taking one's life is never an option...Your helper is on the way. Just believe,and God will see you through.
Amen
Re: How A Nigerian Scammer Ruined My Life by Nobody: 2:39pm On Sep 25, 2016
ucheokpara100:
my brother dont give up me and u are in the same thing, me i worked 8 years took all my saving, borrowed from many people established a business on the land my father gave me my elder brother destroyed it in the name of (he is the first child) i attempted suicide but God saved me, pls be strong. iam broke now and iam also owing many people.
thanks for ya kind words.. am lucky i had a mum who stood by me
Re: How A Nigerian Scammer Ruined My Life by Nobody: 2:56pm On Sep 25, 2016
Some people can be naturally wicked and heartless.. take heart op
cc: lalasticlala mynd44
Re: How A Nigerian Scammer Ruined My Life by Legend87(m): 4:46pm On Sep 25, 2016
Now, what do you seek
Re: How A Nigerian Scammer Ruined My Life by Khd95(m): 5:40pm On Sep 25, 2016
Nicca of all dis poo u ve been thru,u still dey reason dem babes wey dey "shakara" you

Anyways never giv up,as ur mum rightly said,u ve got a brighter future ahead of you..be a warrior nd keep fighting.

But that ur uncle is ruthless oo,would he ve treated his own son d way he did to yousad
Re: How A Nigerian Scammer Ruined My Life by Greenbullet(m): 1:27am On Sep 26, 2016
MrNairaland2019:

op please,I beg u,give me his number and I will try my best for him to refund your money.
Re: How A Nigerian Scammer Ruined My Life by olumaxi(m): 6:32am On Sep 26, 2016
Boiz r not smilling....but no biggy in been defrauded,u ought to av told ur friends and especially ur mother b4 d situation got aggravated dis way....OP,u be dull guy....God shld preserve ur kind so sharp guys could survive
Re: How A Nigerian Scammer Ruined My Life by atilla(m): 3:00pm On Oct 11, 2016
You story really touched me. I know as long as there's life there is hope. Don't ever give up because when the opportunity comes u won't be there to take it.

(1) (Reply)

Man Rapes Goat To Death (photo) / The Man Who Has Been Predicting Winner's Of America Election Since 1984 (Photos) / A 16-year-old Girl Left A Cryptic ‘help Me’ Note In Her Room That Was Discovered

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.