Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,314 members, 7,839,509 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 09:18 PM

What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? (2717 Views)

Improve Your Web Skill In 2018 / My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section / I Will Officially Quit Visiting This Section (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by Nobody: 8:56am On Sep 27, 2016
Booyakasha:

Here's an answer that explains a lot:
https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-differences-between-Quora-and-Stack-Overflow/answer/Harry-Simperingham?srid=uo8lD&share=f9fb9e5d

That doesn't change my opinion on Quora being less programmer-centric, that only explains the differences between the two sites. Yes, you can write code related answers on Quora but you get more of Ideas, advices, recommendations and reviews on Quora while on SO, you get strict on-topic answers from a large community of experts. That being said, Quora is great for getting help on code logic, best practices, tool comparison..Q&A, while SO is a developer's bible.
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by Javanian: 9:56am On Sep 27, 2016
Toniwirelex:
after spending hours snooping through your moniker and reading some of your posts, i can only come to one conclusion; YOU ARE A GENIUS
i wish i had seen your posts earlier. seriously, i never knew people like you existed here in nigeria. is there any way i could communicate directly with you?
will it be too much to ask if i ask you for your phone number? (that's exactly what am doing.)

Genius? Really? smiley You can get my number from my Resume on my signature.
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by sleepingdemon: 12:04pm On Sep 27, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

Tell me more about it and how I can support you.
Basically the plugin injects prism js or highlight js script tags into the nairaland page that is being logged on to,
Then it looks for codes wrapped in "<pre>" and "<code>" tags, then gives them the syntax highlighting feature.
And since this js script can auto detect over 200 languages, we are good to go.
The short method is, tell seun to just add the script tags loading either of them and initialize them on his header.
Then people writing codes would just use the "<pre>" and "<code>" tags.
It takes less than 2 mins for seun to actually do that.
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by FincoApps(m): 12:06pm On Sep 27, 2016
sleepingdemon:

Basically the plugin injects prism js or highlight js script tags into the nairaland page that is being logged on to,
Then it looks for codes wrapped in "<pre>" and "<code>" tags, then gives them the syntax highlighting feature.

Niceee. I'm interested
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by sleepingdemon: 12:20pm On Sep 27, 2016
FincoApps:

Niceee. I'm interested
If Seun wouldnt start dragging war with me the way (according to what ive read (he did with dhtml));
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by Booyakasha(f): 1:18pm On Sep 27, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

That doesn't change my opinion on Quora being less programmer-centric, that only explains the differences between the two sites. Yes, you can write code related answers on Quora but you get more of Ideas, advices, recommendations and reviews on Quora while on SO, you get strict on-topic answers from a large community of experts. That being said, Quora is great for getting help on code logic, best practices, tool comparison..Q&A, while SO is a developer's bible.
Stop comparing Quora to Stack-Overflow/Exchange, they work differently, that's my point. Personally i prefer the answers on Quora than stack-exchange sites.. no one cares if it's less Programmer-centric wink
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by Nobody: 2:09pm On Sep 27, 2016
Booyakasha:

Stop comparing Quora to Stack-Overflow/Exchange, they work differently, that's my point. Personally i prefer the answers on Quora than stack-exchange sites.. no one cares if it's less Programmer-centric wink

This is just your opinion, at least you finally agreed to mine..that's my own point.
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Sep 27, 2016
sleepingdemon:

And since this js script can auto detect over 200 languages, we are good to go.
The short method is, tell seun to just add the script tags loading either of them and initialize them on his header.
Then people writing codes would just use the "<pre>" and "<code>" tags.
It takes less than 2 mins for seun to actually do that.

Javanian, hope you read that..tell your boss before I spank your ass :-).
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by Nobody: 2:18pm On Sep 27, 2016
Booyakasha:

Also means you like "amebo", the real deal is on SO. Don't get me wrong, I'm an established Quora user with at least 2.5k answer views monthly...(These kind of arguments are beneficial).
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by AAinEqGuinea: 10:52am On Oct 26, 2016
Craigston:
I thought we're done with this discussion? We agreed to put our energies into the new Nairaland instead. It's the better option since we'll be having a dedicated platform for the community and an active troll to keep us happy.
Really, we need to improve these sections (Programming and Webmasters).
Here's a previous discussion thread concerning this same issue. On that thread, I suggested it be pinned to the top of this section so we can keep the discussion going and improve incrementally. Right now, that thread is lost.

www.nairaland.com/2148753/suggestions-how-improve-section
Here goes my first suggestion: we need the ability to merge threads that are obviously similar. Brilliant suggestions were made on the thread I referenced above. We could just merge both threads and continue the discussion. It's important.

@dhtml18
@Javanian
@Jregz
@thewebcraft
@crotonite
@blueyedgeek
@jacob05
@Kodejuice
@marine63
@FRInteractives
@gimakon
@blenyo11
@AAinEqGuinea
@pcguru1
@GodMode
@CodeHouse
@GreatFes17
@Seun @HCpaul

keep coding my friend.

I have some networking techniques I'd need to run by NLers. As of now, many other projects have overwhelmed my desk.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Java And Oracle Which Is Best? / Jumia Item Grabber / Is Recursive Backtracking Considered A Brute Force Approach?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.