Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,118 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:35 PM

What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? (2699 Views)

Improve Your Web Skill In 2018 / My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section / I Will Officially Quit Visiting This Section (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by Nobody: 5:48am On Sep 25, 2016
Now I'm asking because I'm tired of seeing irrelevant topics on this board, topics like "Snapchat did this" and "UFC that" are irrelevant.
What's the standard in here?, where are the gurus?, What happened to the vibe?

We used to have nice threads before, I remember when Dhtml18 and seunthomas had their arguments... People learnt from their discussions. Where's Larisoft? We don't hear from you anymore, I know work can be time consuming and stressful but let's find time to connect with like-minded people and even those that want to learn.

I'm calling on my oga's at the top, FincoApps, Djade007, sleepingdemon, olumyco, Asalimpo, DonSegmond... (Sorry if your name is not here, can't mention everyone) to try and engage beginners and professionals alike whenever they are free so we can reduce the amount of irrelevant posts and make the programming section better, for now it looks like a blog..lol. Let's have major threads based on languages (PHP, Python, Java, Scala, Erlang, Go e.t.c) and threads for senior devs where we share professional/advance tips. I know this forum has/may have been abandoned but there are still people in it and we can make it a lovely place. Click "report" to flag irrelevant topics
I will write to Seun, to help Nairaland implement a code syntax highlighter and introduce better formatting to the programming board, I hope he responds.
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by Nobody: 6:20am On Sep 25, 2016
Santa maria!

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by lekropasky(m): 6:21am On Sep 25, 2016
Please do, we really need the code highlighting stuff here on Nairaland, many time i want to share snippets, but i hate ugly codes. Please look into this....@ Seun

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by Fedric(m): 8:16am On Sep 25, 2016
am a newbie to programming. i am willing and ready to learn from you guys. thank you my ogas for making, bringing ideas to help newbies, and prof.
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by Jenifa123: 10:16am On Sep 25, 2016
DanielTheGeek:
Now I'm asking because I'm tired of seeing irrelevant topics on this board, topics like "Snapchat did this" and "UFC that" are irrelevant.
What's the standard in here?, where are the gurus?, What happened to the vibe?
We used to have nice threads before, I remember when Dhtml18 and seunthomas had their arguments... People learnt from their discussions. Where's Larisoft? We don't hear from you anymore, I know work can be time consuming and stressful but let's find time to connect with like-minded people and even those that want to learn.
I'm calling on my oga's at the top, FincoApps, Djade007, sleepingdemon, olumyco, Asalimpo, DonSegmond... (Sorry if your name is not here, can't mention everyone) to try and engage beginners and professionals alike whenever they are free so we can reduce the amount of irrelevant posts and make the programming section better, for now it looks like a blog..lol. Let's have major threads based on languages (PHP, Python, Java, Scala, Erlang, Go e.t.c) and threads for senior devs where we share professional/advance tips. I know this forum has/may have been abandoned but there are still people in it and we can make it a lovely place. From now on, a thread is marked as irrelevant once any of the people below posts "IRRELEVANT" on the thread.
Larisoft,
SeunThomas,
Dhtml18,
Guru01,
Djade007,
Asalimpo,
DonSegmond and
DanielTheGeek.
When posting, mention another person listed above. e.g: "IRRELEVANT cc asalimpo".
I will write to Seun, to help Nairaland implement a code syntax highlighter and introduce better formatting to the programming board, I hope he responds.
dhtml18:
Santa maria!
hey Daniel wanna talk with u
add me up @ fb.... @ tdon. terry
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by KvnqPrezo(m): 10:33am On Sep 25, 2016
Yeah it will be cool... Especially the code highlighter..
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by Nobody: 10:59am On Sep 25, 2016
We also need to organize more competitions, code fights and all that. . . .

2 Likes

Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by KvnqPrezo(m): 11:07am On Sep 25, 2016
dhtml18:
Cool at least weekly
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by brightdv(m): 12:48pm On Sep 25, 2016
And am suggesting there should be chat central for coders in this section of this forum, all the e-bashing can be there and alot of other cool stuffs
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by Javanian: 1:21pm On Sep 25, 2016
DanielTheGeek:
From now on, a thread is marked as irrelevant once any of the people below posts "IRRELEVANT" on the thread.
Larisoft,
SeunThomas,
Dhtml18,
Guru01,
Djade007,
Asalimpo,
DonSegmond and
DanielTheGeek.

When posting, mention another person listed above. e.g: "IRRELEVANT cc asalimpo".

I like to believe that is what the 'Report' button is intended for but people don't use it. When you see a post that you think is not appropriate for this section, simply use the report button and report the post and it will be attended to.

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by Craigston: 6:20pm On Sep 25, 2016
I thought we're done with this discussion? We agreed to put our energies into the new Nairaland instead. It's the better option since we'll be having a dedicated platform for the community and an active troll to keep us happy.
Really, we need to improve these sections (Programming and Webmasters).
Here's a previous discussion thread concerning this same issue. On that thread, I suggested it be pinned to the top of this section so we can keep the discussion going and improve incrementally. Right now, that thread is lost.

www.nairaland.com/2148753/suggestions-how-improve-section
Here goes my first suggestion: we need the ability to merge threads that are obviously similar. Brilliant suggestions were made on the thread I referenced above. We could just merge both threads and continue the discussion. It's important.

@dhtml18
@Javanian
@Jregz
@thewebcraft
@crotonite
@blueyedgeek
@jacob05
@Kodejuice
@marine63
@FRInteractives
@gimakon
@blenyo11
@AAinEqGuinea
@pcguru1
@GodMode
@CodeHouse
@GreatFes17
@Seun @HCpaul
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by FincoApps(m): 6:21pm On Sep 25, 2016
Javanian:

I like to believe that is what the 'Report' button is intended for but people don't use it. When you see a post that you think is not appropriate for this section, simply use the report button and report the post and it will be attended to.

EXACTLY!!
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by FincoApps(m): 6:22pm On Sep 25, 2016
dhtml18:

I agree with you, but people might be scared if they see that e battle between you and seunthomas cheesy
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Sep 25, 2016
Dudes, the new Nairaland ought to be out by now, i apologize, but i am trying to sort out some client work here. But that does not mean we should not try our best to clean up this section if possible.
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by Craigston: 7:19pm On Sep 25, 2016
dhtml18:
Dudes, the new Nairaland ought to be out by now, i apologize, but i am trying to sort out some client work here. But that does not mean we should not try our best to clean up this section if possible.
Fixed!
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by Nobody: 9:23pm On Sep 25, 2016
Javanian:

Wow, so there's even a report button... I didn't know, but shall thy respond when thee useth it?
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by Javanian: 9:36pm On Sep 25, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

Wow, so there's even a report button... I didn't know, but shall thy respond when thee useth it?

Yes. They will be responded to.
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by Nobody: 9:45pm On Sep 25, 2016
Javanian:

Roger that!
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by Celebrimbor(m): 9:51pm On Sep 25, 2016
The moderators of this section need to wake up and be proactive. They are the major reason why this section is dormant.
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by sonofluc1fer: 10:11pm On Sep 25, 2016
Javanian:

Hey. E don tey. Hope ur good. Muskeeto smiley
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by KazukiIto(m): 11:17pm On Sep 25, 2016
I miss @WhizzTM @BlueMagnificent @CodeMarshal08 and all the C++ hackers that made this place tick for me.

On a serious note, we need a code highlighter. Nairaland CHANGE HAS COME! C'mon mehn do something...

1 Like

Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by Javanian: 11:45pm On Sep 25, 2016
sonofluc1fer:
Hey. E don tey. Hope ur good. Muskeeto smiley
Really been a while. I am good, Hope you are?
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by ugwum007(m): 12:33am On Sep 26, 2016
WE NEED CODE HIGHLIGHTER, tired of seeing smileys when trying to pass a message.

2 Likes

Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by Toniwirelex: 9:52pm On Sep 26, 2016
Javanian:

Really been a while. I am good, Hope you are?
after spending hours snooping through your moniker and reading some of your posts, i can only come to one conclusion; YOU ARE A GENIUS
i wish i had seen your posts earlier. seriously, i never knew people like you existed here in nigeria. is there any way i could communicate directly with you?
will it be too much to ask if i ask you for your phone number? (that's exactly what am doing.)
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by Booyakasha(f): 6:52am On Sep 27, 2016
Stackoverflow/reddit/quora is what you should use... this forum wasn't exactly intended for to be a programming forum

2 Likes

Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by Nobody: 7:23am On Sep 27, 2016
Booyakasha:
Stackoverflow/reddit/quora is what you should use... this forum wasn't exactly intended for to be a programming forum

Even Quora is less programmer-centric.
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by sleepingdemon: 8:03am On Sep 27, 2016
I was thinking of creating a chrome plugin that injects the syntax highlighting to nairaland. But after I've heard about the battle between Seun and dhtml18, I just swiftly forgot it
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by Nobody: 8:08am On Sep 27, 2016
sleepingdemon:
I was thinking of creating a chrome plugin that injects the syntax highlighting to nairaland. But after I've heard about the battle between Seun and dhtml18, I just swiftly forgot it
Tell me more about it and how I can support you.
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by Booyakasha(f): 8:15am On Sep 27, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

Even Quora is less programmer-centric.
Quora is a Q&A community, they're tons of programming questions and answers, i don't see how it's less Programmer-centric, if anything, quora has high quality programmers asking and answering questions.
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by Nobody: 8:17am On Sep 27, 2016
Booyakasha:

Quora is a Q&A community, they're tons of programming questions and answers, i don't see how it's less Programmer-centric, if anything, quora has high quality programmers asking and answering questions.

When I say "less", it's in comparison with Stack-Overflow.
Re: What Can Be Done To Improve This Section? by Booyakasha(f): 8:31am On Sep 27, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

When I say "less", it's in comparison with Stack-Overflow.
Here's an answer that explains a lot:
https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-differences-between-Quora-and-Stack-Overflow/answer/Harry-Simperingham?srid=uo8lD&share=f9fb9e5d

(1) (2) (Reply)

Foodfrik (A professional food listing Platform) / Help Fix This Android Studio Error Dhtml18 And Otherd / Java, Golang And Python Developers Needed Urgently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.