Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,548 members, 7,812,750 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:37 PM

Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? (14759 Views)

Mad Man 'healed' By Salvation Ministry Is Back To The Street - Freeze Reacts / Pastor Drowns While Conducting Baptism At Blood River Village In South Africa / Is Restitution Necessary For Repentance? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by gedytreaure: 3:14pm On Sep 25, 2016
John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

1 Like

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by gbigbega: 3:15pm On Sep 25, 2016
The answer is simply in John 3:5, Jesus told Nicodemus 'verily, verily I say unto thee, except a man is born of Water and SPIRIT, he cannot see the kingdom of God'. being born of the water is baptism, being born of spirit is being born again.

1 Like

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by ochedikevictor(m): 3:19pm On Sep 25, 2016
baptism is a must.
Jesus himself was baptize to fulfill all righteousness
mark 16.15-16- whoever believes AND is BAPTISED shall be saved
on the day of Pentecost when the church began 3000 people were baptized now ask urself why
saul now paul was baptized
the jailer even @ midnight was baptized
the Ethiopian enuch was baptized
read dis passages gal.3:27, 1pt 3:21 says and dis water symbolizes baptism that now saves us
so baptism saves
read d book of acts and see dt to be a christain u must be baptised
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by OlamideGirl(f): 3:24pm On Sep 25, 2016
no......it is not a criteria cause if it is, den what did Jesus come to do den

Even d most common scripture john3:16 says for God so love the world that he gave us his only begotten son that who soever believes in him would not perish but have ever lasting life

meaning all we need to do is to believe which is the only criteria to SALVATION and ETERNAL LIFE

1 Like

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by OlamideGirl(f): 3:28pm On Sep 25, 2016
gedytreaure:
John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

That happened before Jesus died

Jesus death, burial and resurrection nullifies all dose things
All we need to do now is to believe

1 Like

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by ochedikevictor(m): 3:30pm On Sep 25, 2016
Davidblen:

No That Not What I Am Saying because I Am About To Join Baptism Class In My Church
is there anything like baptismal class in the bible?
remember not to add or subtract from Gods word as warned in the book of revelation
today if u hear his voice do not harden ur heart

The steps to salvation is simple
hear Gods word. Rom.10;17 faith comes by hearing
believe. Mark.16;15-16 whoever believes and is baptized will be saved
repent
confess Christ.
be baptized gal.3;27 for as many of you that are baptized into Christ have put on Christ
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by prinzadey(m): 3:31pm On Sep 25, 2016
When you accept and confess that Jesus is your Lord and saviour... You're been baptize both in physical and spiritual.... Dipping yourself into water doesn't guarantee your salvation... The only thing that guarantees your salvation is the gift of the Holy Spirit which you receive after your salvation!

2 Likes

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by laikas: 3:31pm On Sep 25, 2016
Rockyrascal:
What of the catholic way of baptism,is it OK?
there is no portion in the bible that talks about baptism by sprinkling or infant baptism.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by DoctorAlien(m): 3:37pm On Sep 25, 2016
OlamideGirl:

That happened before Jesus died

Jesus death, burial and resurrection nullifies all dose things
All we need to do now is to believe

No dear, read Matt. 28:18-20. Jesus commanded that His followers be baptized even after He resurrected.

Come to think of it, if baptism was not necessary, why would the early Christians do it?

2 Likes

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by ochedikevictor(m): 3:41pm On Sep 25, 2016
laikas:

there is no portion in the bible that talks about baptism by sprinkling or infant baptism.
the bible made it clear dt dere is one baptism and all d baptism recorded in the bible is by immersion
so beware of false teachers as warned in the book of Timothy
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Rockyrascal(m): 3:41pm On Sep 25, 2016
laikas:

thanks. Are you a jeohovah witness?
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Nobody: 3:45pm On Sep 25, 2016
Rockyrascal:
I am always perplexed when I hear people say the catholic way of baptism is unacceptable.

Probably because their pastors told them so. undecided
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Nobody: 3:48pm On Sep 25, 2016
laikas:

Lol. There's no part of the bible that says baptism is ONLY by immersion. undecided

1 Like

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Sep 25, 2016
ochedikevictor:

the bible made it clear dt dere is one baptism and all d baptism recorded in the bible is by immersion
so beware of false teachers as warned in the book of Timothy

So what happens if you meet a pagan in the desert where there's no water body just a bottle of water and he's about to die and requests for baptism from you?

1 Like

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by godson4u79(m): 4:07pm On Sep 25, 2016
Baptism is simply Religious swimming classes! Nothing more
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Sep 25, 2016
baptism by immersion not mansion, TAKE NOTE.
Davidblen:
The Bible Says In Ephesians 1:7 That
" In Whom We Have Redemption Through His Blood, The Forgiveness Of Sins, According To Riches Of His Grace"
But Today Many Churches Have Adopted The Style Of Baptism For Salvation.It Is Either By Baptism By Water Or Baptism By Mansion (purification) But Christ Died For Our Sins On The Cross Of Calvary For Our Santification. To Me The Baptism Is Not Neccesary
Anybody Should Comment His/her Opinion
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Dvampire(m): 4:10pm On Sep 25, 2016
If baptism was not necessary or important, the Savior Jesus Christ would not have done it himself. Remember he added that baptism was a rite performed "to fulfill all righteousness".
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by hylyne(m): 4:14pm On Sep 25, 2016
Rockyrascal:
I am always perplexed when I hear people say the catholic way of baptism is unacceptable.

Why should you be perplexed, if you really know the truth.

Baptism is a derivative of Greek word, Baptizo, which means, to Bury. What that implies is that, baptism means burial. So when ones one has accepted Christ as his Lord and personal savour, and he is dead to sin. Then he is baptized, immersed into water (which signifies burial). So, as he is brought out from the water, it signifies that he is coming out a new person in Christ.

Baptism is different from RAPTO(sprinkling of water), which is what Catholic Church does. So, this does not in any way represent this biblical ordinance called Baptism. As a matter of fact, it's not in line with what Christ did.

Concerning infant baptism. It is really unbiblical and also practically out of context to baptize an ignorant kid. In the first place, the person must accept that he is a sinner(not someone standing in for u) and he is willing to live a new life. So, the act of believing and confession is a conscious effort the person involved must make.

NB... Baptism does not guarantee salvation.. It is a physical significance of what had happened in the spirit.

3 Likes

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by tolex29(f): 4:18pm On Sep 25, 2016
@ OP, please is there anything like "mansion" in baptism? Or is it 'immersion' (dipping in)? I hear a lot of Christians say "baptism by Mansion" ..
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Rockyrascal(m): 4:19pm On Sep 25, 2016
hylyne:

Why should you be perplexed, if you really know the truth.

Baptism is a derivative of Greek word Baptizo, which means to Bury. What that implies is that, baptism means burial. So when ones one has accepted Christ as his Lord and personal savour, and he is dead to sin. Then he is baptized, immersed into water (which signifies burial). So, as he is brought out from the water, it signifies that he is coming out a new person in Christ.

Baptism is different from RAPTO(sprinkling of water), which is what Catholic Church does. So, this does not in any way represent this biblical ordinance called Baptism. As a matter of fact, it's not in line with what Christ did.

Concerning infant baptism. It is really unbiblical and also practically out of context to baptize an ignorant kid. In the first place, the person must accept that he is a sinner(not someone standing in for u) and he is willing to live a new life. So, the act of believing and confession is a conscious effort the person involved must make.

NB... Baptism does not guarantee salvation.. It is a physical significance of what had happened in the spirit.
thanks alot
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Dvampire(m): 4:21pm On Sep 25, 2016
Ioannes:

So what happens if you meet a pagan in the desert where there's no water body just a bottle of water and he's about to die and requests for baptism from you?
The Lord looks at the intent of the heart. If a man accepts Jesus Christ and dies before he is baptised, a vicarious baptism is done for him. It will count for him on the day of resurrection. See 1Corinthians 15:29

1 Like

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by davidque007(m): 4:23pm On Sep 25, 2016
You are asking the wrong set of people. People are answering you based on the doctrines of their church, even when they quote scriptures, their interpretations are tailored to suite their doctrine. I will not not give my views as well. But I can tell you clearly thatvthere one that can answer all your questions without any ambiguity. Take some time out to pray to the Holy Spirit, ask him to enlighten you, after all he wrote the Bible. Do a study on baptism in the bible, look up all the places where it was mentioned, study them and let the spirit of God use the Bible to teach you the undiluted truth no man teach you. If u decide to stick to peoples thoughts on nairaland, you leave room for false doctrines. All the best

1 Like

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by hylyne(m): 4:33pm On Sep 25, 2016
Ioannes:

What happened inside the person, spiritual rebirth, is far more significant than that public declaration of the inner birth. So if one doesn't have the opportunity to be baptized, due to his location, that is not an issue.

Nb:Because of this, some churches in rural settings have Pools for this purpose.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Dvampire(m): 4:36pm On Sep 25, 2016
davidque007:
You are asking the wrong set of people. People are answering you based on the doctrines of their church, even when they quote scriptures, their interpretations are tailored to suite their doctrine. I will not not give my views as well. But I can tell you clearly thatvthere one that can answer all your questions without any ambiguity. Take some time out to pray to the Holy Spirit, ask him to enlighten you, after all he wrote the Bible. Do a study on baptism in the bible, look up all the places where it was mentioned, study them and let the spirit of God use the Bible to teach you the undiluted truth no man teach you. If u decide to stick to peoples thoughts on nairaland, you leave room for false doctrines. All the best
Your response is good. But I want to ask; how would he know if the Holy Ghost is speaking to him? What are the signs that will help him recognize?
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by hylyne(m): 4:39pm On Sep 25, 2016
davidque007:

Do you go to church? If yes, why.? You can still stay back at home and listen to the Holy Spirit.
My brother, iron sharpens Iron, according to the scripture.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by anthon47(m): 4:40pm On Sep 25, 2016
davidque007:

Thanks you my brother, the best comment since the inception of nairaland thanks a lot. READ YOUR BIBLE AND LET HOLY SPIRIT INTERPRET HIS WORD TO YOU NOT YOUR PASTOR OR CHURCH DOCTRINE OKAY. In HEAVEN NO CHURCH PASTOR WILLBE THERE WITH U OR THEY WILL NOT ASK U YOUR CHURCH DENOMINATION ABEG IN CHRIST NAME. Stop argument about.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Sep 25, 2016
At 1 Peter chapter 3 verse 21 states Baptism, which corresponds to this, is also now saving you(not by the removing of the filth of the flesh, but by the request to God for a good conscience), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
Hence baptism is a significant step one takes to enter in partnership with God and Jesus Christ to do God's will and having a life been lead by God's holy spirit, it is quite like a contract.
Who need to learn and taught what does God requirea, his likes and dislikes, sacred works, following the foot step of Christ. Baptism prompted a total dedication to doing God's will, not being a slave to man.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by esherizdan(f): 4:51pm On Sep 25, 2016
What is baptism?its initiation into d body of Christ for the REMISSION of sin.Now what is d qualification for water baptism. Repentance,Accepting Lord Jesus christ
Apostle PETER, having been given the keys to the
Kingdom, commanded the JEWS, saying:
" REPENT everyone of you and BE BAPTIZED in the
NAME OF JESUS CHRIST for the remission of
sins" ( Acts 2:38 ) "and you shall receive the gifts of
the Holy Spirit".
Now can an infant confess and repent of sin No. There is no infant baptism in d bible: 2ndly is baptism by sprinkling.CAPITAL NO its by immersion.Baptism is a principles of salvation And should not b taken for granted.No baptisma class its unscriptural And a waste of tym
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by esherizdan(f): 4:55pm On Sep 25, 2016
Wen u want to bury a person u dnt sprinkle sand rather d person is covered with sand
Baptism is by immersion signifying d death,burial and resurrection of d lord Jesus Christ
Wen u baptize u put on christ
3rdly baptism is in d name of d Lord Jesus Christ. Not in d tittles of God the father,son and Holyspirit. The title God bears for the purpose of salvation is Jesus.Jesus means Jehovah saves/Savior.Jesus is the name God bears and gave His son;John 5:43,17:11.The name God came with as the Holyspirit is Jesus;John 14:26.The disciples/apostles of Jesus Christ understood that the name the name of the father ,of the son and of the Holyghost is Jesus that is why they did baptize in the name of Lord Jesus Christ instead in the name of 3 offices of God as in father, son and Holyghost;Matt28:19,Acts19:5,8:16,.Jesus is the name of our salvation, and we are commanded to do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ col3:17,Lk24:47
None of d apostles baptize in titles of father, son and Holyghost. In obeying d command DAT Jesus gave in Matthew 28:19 they all baptize in d name of d lord Jesus Christ because DAT is d name of God d father,son and Holyghost Well some pple will say its d same thing but I tell its not.
Colosian3:17 says And whatsoever ye do in word or deed.do all in the name of d Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and d father by him
We cast out demons in Jesus name ,we heal in DAT name,we pray in DAT name,we dedicate in DAT name.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by pinkygee1: 5:19pm On Sep 25, 2016
baptism is d acceptance of the death and resurrection of d Lord Jesus Christ
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by esherizdan(f): 5:29pm On Sep 25, 2016
Any reply given go back to ur bible and check if its true before concluding its church doctrine or pastors words.our problem is we dnt study d word of God.Infant baptism and sprinkling is a false doctrine. Its d creed and dogma of d roman Catholic church u can never trace it in d bible.God has a standard.If u say its nt important u r on ur own
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by FKMagazine(m): 5:45pm On Sep 25, 2016
Baptism is a command, and it is meant for new converts into the fold of Jesus Christ our Lord & saviour and reconcile us back onto God our Creator with the help of the Holy spirit...AMEN

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Barack Obama Gay Sex Scandal New Evidence / The Joshua Iginla Matter By Deji Yesufu / Christmas Carol Song "Silent Night" Celebrates 200 Years Anniversary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.