Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,216 members, 7,829,358 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:45 AM

Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? (14811 Views)

Mad Man 'healed' By Salvation Ministry Is Back To The Street - Freeze Reacts / Pastor Drowns While Conducting Baptism At Blood River Village In South Africa / Is Restitution Necessary For Repentance? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Ubenedictus(m): 3:31pm On Sep 29, 2016
analice107:

Oh really? From when and why?

Every Catholic Baptism is done inside the church, how do they do the immersion pls?

Since 33 AD the church has been baptising with both immersion and pouring, bible show whole household baptised in their houses no need to find a river. the didache an early christian writting, dated 90 AD show the church still doing both pouring and immersing. even today many catholic church has baptismal fonts for immersion and many still use pouring.
both method are ancient and are still in use in the catholic church.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by analice107: 3:37pm On Sep 29, 2016
Ubenedictus:
Since 33 AD the church has been baptising with both immersion and pouring, bible show whole household baptised in their houses no need to find a river. the didache an early christian writting, dated 90 AD show the church still doing both pouring and immersing. even today many catholic church has baptismal fonts for immersion and many still use pouring.

Any YouTube videos?

I have been a Catholic until recently, i have never heard of Catholic baptizing by immersion.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by analice107: 3:39pm On Sep 29, 2016
Ubenedictus:
Pls bring out the passages the Bible talks about people baptizing at home.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by analice107: 4:25pm On Sep 29, 2016
btoks:
analice107

And how does this make pouring or sprinkling method any less valid than immersion? Where does it say baptism can’t be done that way? i'll take the what has been practiced through antiquity as led by the Holy spirit over your novel interpretations. Christianity didn't start last month.

By the way, you know absolutely nothing about me to conclude that you were once where I am ....... I’ll say just focus on facts and take out sentiments

Oh yes, it is good to read the bible. What we don't want is to end up with thousands of different denominations with conflicting doctrines because most people just read through their own lenses and interpret personally.
The bible books were written in a time so far removed from ours, it makes sense to read the scriptures within the context of historical Christianity. Jesus established a church to ensure the truth was taught and Scriptures interpreted correctly.

So for you it's every man and his bible. Is this what Jesus taught? And do you see unity with this approach?

It's like saying every Nigerian should carry the Constitution and interpret themselves. While they may understand a few things, isn't it ultimately the courts that provide the correct interpretation.

How did you decide by yourself that the books of the bible are in fact scripture?

You said to keep sentiments aside and focus on facts, yet you went straight for emotions.
Do the different denominations have different stance on Baptism? Only Catholic Church pours water.
The first person to do Baptism "John the Baptist", did it by immersion.

Jesus Christ our Lord, was Baptized by immersion. All the Apostles Baptized by immersion, but Catholic Church sprang up to change it. Why?

When i say, " I was where you are now", i didnt mean anything personal (To hell with that). What
meant was, i was rigorously defending this falsehood just the way you are doing now.

Who doesn't know that Christianity didn't start last month? duuurrhh.

What i mean by everyone reading their Bibles for themselves is, when we know the truth, it wont be easy to be sold lies, just like lies were sold to the world by the RCC back then.

Today, when the truth is preached, the truth begins to sound like lies, because the lies had sunk very deep.

The RCC sought to lock the Bible away from every one, but a select few, that way, they would manage information and manipulate the people as they like. It worked for a time. No man can imprison the Holy Spirit.

lol, this guy. Yes, every Nigerian is suppose to have a copy of the Nigerian Constitution, read it and know what it contains, and how it affects them as citizens. Its that way in America, that's why the citizens can shout out when there's any deviation and call their office holders to account.

If Marin Luther didn't have access to the whole Bible instead of the fragments that was being released from time to time to the people, by now the whole world would have collapsed.

RCC had a long term agenda to turn the world godless with time, because, without the Holy Spirit, the church will fall to a collection of traditions of men, which is the complete make up of the RCC, Traditions of Men.

1 Like

Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Ubenedictus(m): 5:44pm On Sep 29, 2016
analice107:

Any YouTube videos?

I have been a Catholic until recently, i have never heard of Catholic baptizing by immersion.
i dont know about youtube videos but this is a website that talks about guidelines used in catholic immersion baptism www.kencollins.com/instructions/how-09.htm

You may want to see this youtube video, i didnt watch it but i guess it satifies ur request.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oI6vk8ycNg&fulldescription=1&gl=NG&client=mv-google&hl=en
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Ubenedictus(m): 6:11pm On Sep 29, 2016
analice107:

Pls bring out the passages the Bible talks about people baptizing at home.
ACT 10:47 shows baptism in cornelus house “Can anyone forbid water, that these should not be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit tjust as we have?” 48 uAnd he commanded them to be baptized vin the name of the Lord. Then they asked him to stay a few days.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by analice107: 8:39pm On Sep 29, 2016
Ubenedictus:
ACT 10:47 shows baptism in cornelus house “Can anyone forbid water, that these should not be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit tjust as we have?” 48 uAnd he commanded them to be baptized vin the name of the Lord. Then they asked him to stay a few days.

They were commanded to be Baptised in the house?

Hahahahahahahahaha. oh this guy and his defends of falsehood. That Peter went to Cornelus's house doesn't mean the Baptism took place in the house. You are a clever Catholic, trying to justify Falsehood by resurrectiin
The pattern had always been by immersion, was it peter who started the sprinkling?
Of all the passages that talks about baptism, you picked this one because it wasn't specific.
Satan holds unto scriptures like this to deceive those without the Holy Spirit.

Have you asked yourself why Jesus will leave Galilee and go to Jordan to be Baptised? If sprinkling was in the plan of Baptism why didn't Christ just stay back and get baptised by sprinkling?

The very first person who did Baptism went to a River and everybody travelled to go over there to be baptised, and here you are telling lies because the RCC says so.

Baptism signify death, burial and resurrection.
Death and burial takes you down, while resurrection brings you up.
Abeg go.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by analice107: 8:42pm On Sep 29, 2016
Ubenedictus:
i dont know about youtube videos but this is a website that talks about guidelines used in catholic immersion baptism www.kencollins.com/instructions/how-09.htm

You may want to see this youtube video, i didnt watch it but i guess it satifies ur request.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oI6vk8ycNg&fulldescription=1&gl=NG&client=mv-google&hl=en
Plenty criticism is making RCC give in to some Biblical principles.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Ubenedictus(m): 7:49pm On Sep 30, 2016
analice107:

Plenty criticism is making RCC give in to some Biblical principles.
YOU have seen the truth that since d 1st century d church has used both pouring and immersion, but instead of admitting u were wrong and dat u were falsely accusing d church, u prefer to hide under ur pride.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Ubenedictus(m): 7:55pm On Sep 30, 2016
analice107:

They were commanded to be Baptised in the house?

Hahahahahahahahaha. oh this guy and his defends of falsehood. That Peter went to Cornelus's house doesn't mean the Baptism took place in the house. You are a clever Catholic, trying to justify Falsehood by resurrectiin
The pattern had always been by immersion, was it peter who started the sprinkling?
Of all the passages that talks about baptism, you picked this one because it wasn't specific.
Satan holds unto scriptures like this to deceive those without the Holy Spirit.

Have you asked yourself why Jesus will leave Galilee and go to Jordan to be Baptised? If sprinkling was in the plan of Baptism why didn't Christ just stay back and get baptised by sprinkling?

The very first person who did Baptism went to a River and everybody travelled to go over there to be baptised, and here you are telling lies because the RCC says so.
was there river in cornelius house? was there a river there? stop lying
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by analice107: 8:13pm On Sep 30, 2016
Ubenedictus:
was there river in cornelius house? was there a river there? stop lying
They were taken to a pool.
Mr man, Scriptures interpret Scriptures.

If there was a need for Baptism and everyone knows that Baptism is done by immersion, you don't expect that anytime its done it will be mentioned that they were Baptised in the pool or in a river.

between Cornelius who was where there were pools of water, and the Ethiopian Enoch who was travelling in the desert, which of them would ve been more likely to be baptised by sprinkling?
Yet, the Ethiopian Eunuch was baptised by immersion.

Anyways, you can never accept the truth with the Catholic blinders on.
Good luck.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by analice107: 8:17pm On Sep 30, 2016
Ubenedictus:
YOU have seen the truth that since d 1st century d church has used both pouring and immersion, but instead of admitting u were wrong and dat u were falsely accusing d church, u prefer to hide under ur pride.

Your lies wont take you anywhere.

There was Catholic Church in the First Century?

They do it today because of the criticism they face.

You stand and insist on defending falsehood, yet called me proud. pls shift.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:35pm On Oct 01, 2016
analice107:

Your lies wont take you anywhere.

There was Catholic Church in the First Century?

They do it today because of the criticism they face.

You stand and insist on defending falsehood, yet called me proud. pls shift.
YES, the catholic church was there in d first century, and early xtian writting from the 1st century shows baptism by pouring and immersion. these documents are available unless u are just interested in making false accusation!

if u dont know something ask questions and stop been ignorant. pouring and immersion have been there since d 1st cent and has been practiced since then till today. catholic church didnt start her practices yesterday. be informed
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:58pm On Oct 01, 2016
analice107:

They were taken to a pool.
Mr man, Scriptures interpret Scriptures.

If there was a need for Baptism and everyone knows that Baptism is done by immersion, you don't expect that anytime its done it will be mentioned that they were Baptised in the pool or in a river.

between Cornelius who was where there were pools of water, and the Ethiopian Enoch who was travelling in the desert, which of them would ve been more likely to be baptised by sprinkling?
Yet, the Ethiopian Eunuch was baptised by immersion.

Anyways, you can never accept the truth with the Catholic blinders on.
Good luck.
HAHAHAHA, where does d bible say they were taken to a pool? you are lying on the bible! that is what happens when u allow ur doctrine of men to cloud d bible and clear reason, cornelius was preached to in his house, he recieved the holy spirit there and was baptised there. they didnt go to a pool or river, nowhere does the bible say that. dont lie on d bible please!
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by orunto27: 2:07pm On Oct 01, 2016
Yes.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by OlamideGirl(f): 12:32am On Oct 19, 2016
DoctorAlien:

No dear, read Matt. 28:18-20. Jesus commanded that His followers be baptized even after He resurrected.

Come to think of it, if baptism was not necessary, why would the early Christians do it?

The early Christians did it bkus Christ has not died

Matthew 28:18-20
18Jesus approached and, [a]breaking the silence, said to them, All authority (all power of rule) in heaven and on earth has been given to Me.

19Go then and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them [b]into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

20Teaching them to observe everything that I have commanded you, and behold, I am with you [c]all the days ([d]perpetually, uniformly, and on every occasion), to the [very] close and consummation of the age. [e]Amen (so let it be).

Jesus ask us to baptize dem in d name of the father , son and holy spirit and not water

How do u get baptize by holy spirit.......it is by speaking in tongue

baptism by water is not a criteria........Jesus has paid it all........it is not d water dat u re dipped into dat will cleanse u
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by OlamideGirl(f): 12:34am On Oct 19, 2016
[quote author=Ioannes post=49668695]
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by OlamideGirl(f): 12:44am On Oct 19, 2016
Ioannes:

OlamideGirl, you are wrong.

All you need to do is not just believe and it isn't the only criterium. Your bible doesn't support that notion of yours either.

Baptism is what you need.

pls give me scriptural references dat says baptism is what we need

Romans1:16, Romans10:4,Romans10:8-10 all show dat all we need to do is believe
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by DoctorAlien(m): 12:46am On Oct 19, 2016
OlamideGirl:

The early Christians did it bkus Christ has not died

Matthew 28:18-20
18Jesus approached and, [a]breaking the silence, said to them, All authority (all power of rule) in heaven and on earth has been given to Me.

19Go then and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them [b]into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

20Teaching them to observe everything that I have commanded you, and behold, I am with you [c]all the days ([d]perpetually, uniformly, and on every occasion), to the [very] close and consummation of the age. [e]Amen (so let it be).

Jesus ask us to baptize dem in d name of the father , son and holy spirit and not water

How do u get baptize by holy spirit.......it is by speaking in tongue

baptism by water is not a criteria........Jesus has paid it all........it is not d water dat u re dipped into dat will cleanse u

No dear. Christians baptized even after Christ's death. Read the Bible well.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by OlamideGirl(f): 12:48am On Oct 19, 2016
analice107:

So you call Jesus a liar for telling us to preach and then Baptize in the name of the Father,Son and the Holy Ghost?

no......did d bible text include baptism by water

we are baptize in d name of d father son and holyspirit and not by water
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by DoctorAlien(m): 12:50am On Oct 19, 2016
OlamideGirl,

"Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God." John 3:5
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by OlamideGirl(f): 12:50am On Oct 19, 2016
DoctorAlien:

No dear. Christians baptized even after Christ's death. Read the Bible well.

your scriptural references
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by OlamideGirl(f): 12:53am On Oct 19, 2016
DoctorAlien:
OlamideGirl,

"Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God." John 3:5

it will be of my interest if u read d whole chapter of john3 so as to understand what was been said
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by OlamideGirl(f): 12:59am On Oct 19, 2016
analice107:

Are you serious? So when was Paul baptized? when was the Ethiopian Eunuch Baptzed? was it before or after Jesus' resurrection? All the resurrections that took place in the Acts of Apostle was done before Jesus died? Na waooo.

all those ppl u are talking about, can u show me d scripture were Jesus told dem or dat day heard from Jesus that dy should baptize by water
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by DoctorAlien(m): 1:01am On Oct 19, 2016
OlamideGirl:

it will be of my interest if u read d whole chapter of john3 so as to understand what was been said

Surely, Jesus was not instructing Christians not to get baptized.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by DoctorAlien(m): 1:04am On Oct 19, 2016
OlamideGirl,

Please follow this link to find out how important water baptism is.

Thank you.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by ookay(m): 6:47am On Oct 19, 2016
Davidblen:
The Bible Says In Ephesians 1:7 That
" In Whom We Have Redemption Through His Blood, The Forgiveness Of Sins, According To Riches Of His Grace"
But Today Many Churches Have Adopted The Style Of Baptism For Salvation.It Is Either By Baptism By Water Or Baptism By Mansion (purification) But Christ Died For Our Sins On The Cross Of Calvary For Our Santification. To Me The Baptism Is Not Neccesary
Anybody Should Comment His/her Opinion

He that believes and is baptised shall be saved.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by analice107: 1:28pm On Oct 19, 2016
OlamideGirl:

all those ppl u are talking about, can u show me d scripture were Jesus told dem or dat day heard from Jesus that dy should baptize by water
I dont think i want to waste my time on that. Believe what you want.
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by OlamideGirl(f): 4:39pm On Oct 19, 2016
analice107:

it should not be a waste of time if u ve the right scriptural references for it but I guess u don't........so kindly do well to read ur bible
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by OlamideGirl(f): 4:42pm On Oct 19, 2016
ookay:

He that believes and is baptised shall be saved.

where is ur scriptural reference for that
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by OlamideGirl(f): 4:59pm On Oct 19, 2016
DoctorAlien:
OlamideGirl,

Please follow this link to find out how important water baptism is.

Thank you.

ve read it and d writer was just picking scriptures without reading d full text

just read dse

while we should preach that all people are commanded to repent and be baptized (Acts 2:38), adding any other requirement to salvation by grace becomes “works” in disguise.

Even though numerous Scriptures speak of the importance of water baptism, adding anything to the work of the cross demeans the sacrifice of the Savior. It implies that His finished work wasn't enough. But the Bible makes clear that we are saved by grace, and grace alone,

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.
—Ephesians 2:8-9

Baptism is simply a step of obedience to the Lord following our repentance and confession of sin. Our obedience--water baptism, prayer, good works, fellowship, witnessing, etc.--issues from our faith in Christ. Salvation is not what we do, but Who we have.

He that has the Son has life; and he that has not the Son of God has not life.
—1 John 5:12

But what about Mark 16:16?
Mark 16:16 quotes Jesus as saying: “He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned” (NKJV). Does this mean that salvation is by baptism?

"In no way does this verse establish baptism as a condition for salvation; it is merely the declaration that those who believe and are baptized are saved. Any act of obedience to the Lord could be added after the expression 'whoever believes' and it would remain a true statement, because salvation is the result of faith in Christ.

It should be noted that when the Lord added, 'but whoever does not believe will be condemned,' there is no mention of baptism. In identifying what would bring about condemnation, Jesus did not say that 'whoever believes but is not baptized shall not be save.' If baptism were necessary for salvation, there are many significant verses which should be amended to read 'you are saved through faith and baptism.' It is clear that faith in Jesus Christ is what saves a person (Acts 16:30-31; Eph. 2:8-9).

Baptism is a distinct act of obedience, apart from salvation. This is clarified by the order in which the words 'believe' and 'baptize' occur in the text (cf. Acts 2:38; 10:44-48). Baptism with the Spirit places believers into the body of Christ (1 Cor. 12:13), while water baptism merely signifies to others that a person has professed Christ.

The word 'saved' is translated from the Greek word sesosmenoi, which is a perfect passive participle. It means that this salvation took place at some point in the past, being accomplished by Jesus Christ Himself, and is continuing on in the present." [Spiros Zodhiates, editor, The Hebrew-Greek
Re: Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? by EyeHateGod: 5:13pm On Oct 19, 2016
analice107:
Lol typical ana Close minded grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Onaiyekan Hands Over To Ignatius Kaigama As Catholic Archbishop Of Abuja / What If That Girl Sue Oyedepo? / Can A Good Atheist Make Heaven?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.