Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,990 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

My Collection Of Flash Fiction. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / My Collection Of Flash Fiction. (1093 Views)

My Collection Of VERY Short Stories.....WRITTEN by JADOSKI / Yewande Omotoso & Ayobami Adebayo Nominated Baileys Women’s Prize For Fiction / MARVEL CHRONICLES (science Fiction) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Collection Of Flash Fiction. by REB3L(m): 10:40pm On Sep 25, 2016
Good evening y'all, I'm a writer and specialize in flash fiction. I don't really specialize in it. Just that I enjoy it more. Well, to the point. This page is a collection of the things I have written and will probably write. Right now I'm going through that writers block phase and so I decided to post here,maybe when i see people viewing your criticisms and whatnot,I'll bounce back.
Enjoy!!

P.s I support sharing and copying the stories,but please,notify me first. Thanks.
Re: My Collection Of Flash Fiction. by REB3L(m): 10:47pm On Sep 25, 2016
Musings Of A Xerophyte.
I sat in front of Mama's stall,hurling curses after curses at my brother who had Tricked me ɨռto spending the holiday with Grandma in Kaduna.

"It'll be fun,you'll get the chance to explore a new culture and meet new friends.. Especially the pretty Hausa chicks,plus u know grandma is rich,you'll probably get enough money to buy that new phone" He had said.

Knowing my love for adventure and money ,i couldn't decline and i decided to go. At least to enjoy the North..Little did i know that such decision would change my life forever.

Now here i stand in this heat, swatting at flies and other insects as they hover round my fresh yellow skin. I turn to look at the passersby,watching them stop and haggle for things while Imagining the lives they lead, for instance the pregnant lady with the big bag was the wife of an alhaji,the 5th one judging from her age and the way she rubbed her tummy frequently, i assumed she had been trying to conceive for a long time,and this was her first. I could imagine the dayande would.if it was a boy,how cows would be slaughtered to celebrate the occasion, how her husband's loving eyes would revert to her while she gets the envy of her fellow wives. i could spot pickpockets,their eyes scanning the crowd as they select their victims,my eyes trailing their movement watching as their prey are discharged of valuables...

The Fulani Girl stood Dazed,she couldn't remember what happened or why she was here,she couldn't remember anything, her brain was a blank field, her only raging thought was the command the Scary man with Beards had issued.
"Get to the market, press the button and then you'll get the chance to see your family again"

"The button" referred to was a device that had been strapped to her chest with a blinking light and a red button.
Of course it was covered with layers of clothing,topped with the hijab she was given,yet she felt the weight pressing down on her ...but that didnt concern her a bit,she was eager to see her family,eager to do the bearded man's bidding, eager to please.
" when should i press the button" she had asked.
"You'll know the right time,go to the center of the market,the stall selling shoes,the one with the fair boy,and press it just as u get there"
"Remember, you're doing it for your family,he had concluded..

As each step takes her closer to the market,her head scans the crowd for a shop selling shoes with a fair boy in front. This proves tasking,the market is crowded,With lots of people milling about. As she stops to look,she gets bumped by someone in the crowd. She falls,her knees scrapping the ground.
She gets back up and just in front of her,about 20 feet away was the shop,and true to his word,the fair boy was there...she began to walk towards him,her walk slowly increasing to a jog,her jog run... Her arms close to her chest ready at any moment to press the button.

I notice the girl straight away as she fell to the ground, she looked particularly young and well dressed to be in a market,her clothes were thick and not suitable for the climate.
Nothing strikes me as weird until she starts running, i was still curious wondering why she was running... Running right to me and then just as her clothes fall off,i see it, the bomb strapped to her chest. My eyes and her eyes connect, and just then i know she was going to do it. I try to run,but i can't, my legs firmly rooted in the ground. And just before she presses the button, i hear her scream "Allahu akbar"..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Collection Of Flash Fiction. by REB3L(m): 1:38pm On Sep 29, 2016
The rubble.
October 1st 5:00pm.
They said it was due to substandard building materials, they pointed fingers at each other,from the owner of the building and the occupants who had ignored the signs of a collapse to the government official who had inspected the building and approved it for habitation. Outside the rubble which was three stories high some 30 minutes ago, people gather, some to watch and curse the government,and most with “ehh yars” and “pele” and none proffering solutions.
A little boy lays underneath 5ft of rubble, he could not be more than 6 years old, his hand holding his batman figurine, his eyes blinded by darkness, unable to move or feel anything below his waist, including the blocks of cement and iron rods which has crushed through his legs and bone making him crippled for life…if he managed to survive this ordeal that is. His mother a trader at ikotun market wouldn’t come home until 7.
"Hello, can anybody hear me” he shouts. But no one does, he is all alone, alone and forgotten.

5 hours and some minutes later,the boy is asleep, his body slowly draining of blood .his parents are outside digging through the rubble, their fingers blistered and bruised. By now the passersbys have all gone, only remaining some occupants of the building who join in the search for him, flinging stones and dirt alike, calling out the name of their little boy.

“ I’ve found him” a neighbor shouts making the parents and occupants rush to his side, digging up stones and rubbles and flinging them. It is a false alarm, the body a full grown man,unknown to the residents of the building, his pockets filled with cash and tucked just below his belt… A gun . it seems he had robbed one of the apartments just before the crash.
The search party goes on throughout the night, bodies after bodies recovered , all of them dead and none of them a little boy holding a batman figurine. By morning, they decide to call off the search. If the little boy was still trapped, by now he would have been dead.
The little boy’s father wore a resigned look,his face 10 years older,his mother refuses to go, saying she knew her little baby was alive until she was drugged, dragged away and bundled into a car.
Outside,still buried deep in the rubble,the little boy wakes up.

“ Hello,can anyone hear me?” But no one does, he is all alone, alone and forgotten..

1 Like

Re: My Collection Of Flash Fiction. by REB3L(m): 1:45pm On Sep 29, 2016
lanicky(f), KingRex1, naijaboiy, HateU2(m), frozenfirenaija(f), NevetsIbot(m), Eniqurl(f), SmartestPopQUEEN(f), cyber5(m), mhiz(f), johnwizey, safarigirl(f), fiyah(f), skarlett(f), bibijay123(f), onihaxy, Angelsss(f), davidflo(m), kingphilip(m), Flakkydagirl, D9ty7(m), TiffanyJ(f), Pidggin(f), repogirl(f), Oyinprince(m), boomssey(f), nifemi05(m), Fehmy25s(m), KingzPen(m), LarrySun(m), AudreyTimms(f)

No vex o.
I'll like it if you follow and read my works,comment and tell me what mistakes and corrections to take.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Collection Of Flash Fiction. by NevetsIbot(m): 2:40pm On Sep 29, 2016
So far so good. I'd say you're doing a good job at it. I love both flash fictions. Hope to read more from you. Thumbs up brotherly.

Your suspense is great also
Re: My Collection Of Flash Fiction. by Eniqurl(f): 8:53pm On Sep 29, 2016
Following.... HURKLAN
Re: My Collection Of Flash Fiction. by cyber5(m): 9:29pm On Sep 29, 2016
Bro, you've got great works there
Re: My Collection Of Flash Fiction. by Hurklan(m): 9:36pm On Sep 29, 2016
Eniqurl:
Following.... HURKLAN
present, thanks eniqurl
Re: My Collection Of Flash Fiction. by REB3L(m): 7:08am On Oct 07, 2016
[/b]ToFumi[b]

The walls were damp and covered with algae, she had been trapped here for three days now,covered in darkness apart from the occassional light which came when the door was opened when he wanted to bring food or talk to her. He was not rough or harsh, he talked in a tender loving voice and always referred to her as "Tofumi".
"Tofumi,you didn't eat your food,are you sick my daughter?" He asked on one occasion
"I'm not Tofumi" she said admist sobs "please,let me go"
"You are my daughter,you just don't remember, I can't be wrong about you this time" Then he pointed to a dead body that had been laying there since the 3 days she had been here
"That was a wrong Tofumi, you don't want to be the wrong one now,do you?"
She couldn't reply,she kept on sobbing as her mind wandered to the incident that brought her here.

She was coming back from school when an old man had asked her for directions, upon explaining the route to him,he told her he would understand better if she took him there and with the innocence of the 10year old girl she was, she led him,passing through the bush path, and that was all she remembered,until she found herself here,Having to pretend to be the deceased daughter of a mad man.

These days he had become strange to her;He would come at odd hours and stare for several hours studying her,looking occassionaly at a picture and back to her convincing himself that she was his "daughter",

Now he fed her less and less,and he no longer called her "My daughter" that was when she knew she had to do something fast,she started pretending to be Tofumi calling him "Dad" and asking him questions,but he kept ignoring her.He knew she was not Tofumi,He knew she was not his daughter.He knew he had picked a wrong one...again

She was sleeping when suddenly the door burst open,and there stood the man.
His face was contorted by hatred,in each arm was a knife and it was clear what he wanted to do.
"You decieved me,You are not my daughter"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Collection Of Flash Fiction. by REB3L(m): 7:11am On Oct 07, 2016
NevetsIbot:
So far so good. I'd say you're doing a good job at it. I love both flash fictions. Hope to read more from you. Thumbs up brotherly.
Your suspense is great also
Eniqurl:
Following.... HURKLAN
cyber5:
Bro, you've got great works there

Thank You smiley
Re: My Collection Of Flash Fiction. by MrWhaley: 7:44pm On Oct 07, 2016
REB3L ma guy...nice,tho. smiley
Re: My Collection Of Flash Fiction. by REB3L(m): 9:01pm On Oct 07, 2016
MrWhaley:
REB3L ma guy...nice,tho. smiley

Chairman
Oga boss
Baba nla of life
That UNIBEN student who never gives up on me.[]

Re: My Collection Of Flash Fiction. by MrWhaley: 10:38pm On Oct 07, 2016
REB3L:

Chairman
Oga boss
Baba nla of life
That UNIBEN student who never gives up on me.[]
You nor geh joy o. You just dey 'wash' me for cyberspace.
Baba,fear God o. sad
Re: My Collection Of Flash Fiction. by Nobody: 7:55am On Oct 08, 2016
REB3L:
[/b]ToFumi[b]

She was sleeping when suddenly the door burst open,and there stood the man.
His face was contorted by hatred,in each hand was a knife and it was clear what he wanted to do.
"You decieved me,You are not my daughter"

A correction there. Doing a good job.
Re: My Collection Of Flash Fiction. by Nobody: 8:10am On Oct 08, 2016
REB3L:
Musings Of A Xerophyte.
I sat in front of Mama's stall,hurling curses after curses at my brother who had Tricked me ɨռto spending the holiday with Grandma in Kaduna.

"It'll be fun,you'll get the chance to explore a new culture and meet new friends.. Especially the pretty Hausa chicks,plus u know grandma is rich,you'll probably get enough money to buy that new phone" He had said.

Knowing my love for adventure and money ,i couldn't decline and i decided to go. At least to enjoy the North..Little did i know that such decision would change my life forever.

Now here i stand in this heat, swatting at flies and other insects as they hover round my fresh yellow skin. I turn to look at the passersby,watching them stop and haggle for things while Imagining the lives they lead, for instance the pregnant lady with the big bag was the wife of an alhaji,the 5th one judging from her age and the way she rubbed her tummy frequently, i assumed she had been trying to conceive for a long time,and this was her first. I could imagine the dayande would.if it was a boy,how cows would be slaughtered to celebrate the occasion, how her husband's loving eyes would revert to her while she gets the envy of her fellow wives. i could spot pickpockets,their eyes scanning the crowd as they select their victims,my eyes trailing their movement watching as their prey are discharged of valuables...

The Fulani Girl stood Dazed,she couldn't remember what happened or why she was here,she couldn't remember anything, her brain was a blank field, her only raging thought was the command the Scary man with Beards had issued.
"Get to the market, press the button and then you'll get the chance to see your family again"

"The button" referred to was a device that had been strapped to her chest with a blinking light and a red button.
Of course it was covered with layers of clothing,topped with the hijab she was given,yet she felt the weight pressing down on her ...but that didnt concern her a bit,she was eager to see her family,eager to do the bearded man's bidding, eager to please.
" when should i press the button" she had asked.
"You'll know the right time,go to the center of the market,the stall selling shoes,the one with the fair boy,and press it just as u get there"
"Remember, you're doing it for your family,he had concluded..

As each step takes her closer to the market,her head scans the crowd for a shop selling shoes with a fair boy in front. This proves tasking,the market is crowded,With lots of people milling about. As she stops to look,she gets bumped by someone in the crowd. She falls,her knees scrapping the ground.
She gets back up and just in front of her,about 20 feet away was the shop,and true to his word,the fair boy was there...she began to walk towards him,her walk slowly increasing to a jog,her jog run... Her arms close to her chest ready at any moment to press the button.

I notice the girl straight away as she fell to the ground, she looked particularly young and well dressed to be in a market,her clothes were thick and not suitable for the climate.
Nothing strikes me as weird until she starts running, i was still curious wondering why she was running... Running right to me and then just as her clothes fall off,i see it, the bomb strapped to her chest. My eyes and her eyes connect, and just then i know she was going to do it. I try to run,but i can't, my legs firmly rooted in the ground. And just before she presses the button, i hear her scream "Allahu akbar"..

Well, a nice story here but alot of mistakes, grammatical and otherwise.
For the first part, you established yourself as an observer in a market so therefore, you are a first person narrator. How would you know what had happened to the girl or what's in her mind?

This makes your shift between first and third person narrative a bit confusing. Might want to look into that. Try a bit of 'assumption' or hint at an 'aftermath' where you have already gone through the ordeal and was going through a 'flashback'.

A short story is an interlock between the 'Now' or 'future' happening in the past and vice versa on both counts.

Goodluck!
Re: My Collection Of Flash Fiction. by joanee20(f): 8:21am On Oct 08, 2016
Nice collection, enjoyed them..thumbs up

1 Like

Re: My Collection Of Flash Fiction. by REB3L(m): 6:18pm On Oct 14, 2016
Realchick:

Well, a nice story here but alot of mistakes, grammatical and otherwise.
For the first part, you established yourself as an observer in a market so therefore, you are a first person narrator. How would you know what had happened to the girl or what's in her mind?

This makes your shift between first and third person narrative a bit confusing. Might want to look into that. Try a bit of 'assumption' or hint at an 'aftermath' where you have already gone through the ordeal and was going through a 'flashback'.

A short story is an interlock between the 'Now' or 'future' happening in the past and vice versa on both counts.

Goodluck!

First off,thank you for commenting. I could have replied earlier but I was i just didn't want to.
Apart from the grammatical error part. I feel what you wrote didn't make much sense. It's flash fiction,its different from a novel or whatnot .There are different styles and There is NO one definite style.. If i had tried an "aftermath" "Flashback". The suspense I was aiming for would have been left out.
To the part about the shift in narrative being confusing,I left huge spaces to communicate the fact that scenes/people were changing.

(1) (Reply)

New Story: Mike And Lami The Kobold (supernatural Stories) / Welcome To Lagos: A Short Story / Quarantine Diaries.!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.