Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,750 members, 7,809,867 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:21 PM

$7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / $7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana (17222 Views)

Biafra: Zionists Form Interim Government, Utomi, Nwodo, Soludo, Gana Make List / Where's The $7billion Placed In 14 Banks By Soludo? Henry Boyo / Soludo: "Falana Does Not Know The Difference Between A Bank LOAN And A DEPOSIT" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

$7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana by Businessideas: 3:06am On Sep 26, 2016
$7 billion: I won’t apologise to Soludo – Falana

A senior lawyer, Femi Falana, on Sunday said he would not apologise to former Central Bank Governor Chukwuma Soludo over his allegation that the ex-bank chief “dolled” out $7 billion government funds to bankers while he was in office.
Mr. Soludo has denied the allegation, saying he acted right in his dealings as Central Bank chief.
Mr. Falana, however, said he based his statement on facts made available by the Central Bank during Mr. Soludo’s stewardship.
Read Mr. Falana’s full statement below:
On October 3, 2006, the Central Bank of Nigeria under the management of Professor Chukwuma Soludo gave a loan of $7 billion to 14 commercial banks in Nigeria. The loan was confirmed by the Head of the CBN Corporate Affairs , Mr. Festus Odoko when he announced that “deposits worth $7 billion representing the apex bank’s share of the foreign reserves estimated at about $38 billion has been released to the consortium of bankers.” (The Guardian newspaper of 5/10/2006)
Barely four days later, a respected economist, Mr. Henry Boyo challenged the illegal claim that the $7 billion was a “share” of the CBN in the nation’s foreign reserves. Since the funds belong to the three tiers of Government by virtue of section 162 of the Constitution Mr. Boyo rightly stated that “the Senate and the House of Representatives would have defaulted in their constitutional duties if CBN is not invited to defend why $7 billion of our reserves should be ‘given’ to 14 banks without oversight approval.” (Vanguard newspaper of October 9, 2006).
Having confirmed that the banks have failed to liquidate the said $7 billion loan I have asked the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission to investigate the illegality of the loan and recover same together with other huge funds which have been criminally diverted or withheld from the Federation Account. With respect, the denial of the $7 billion loan by Professor Soludo has supported the request for a thorough investigation of the allegations contained in my petition. However, having regard to the facts and circumstances of the controversial loan, Professor Soludo may wish to direct his demand for apology to Mr. Festus Odoko!

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/211236-7-billion-i-wont-apologise-soludo-falana.html

3 Likes

Re: $7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana by fulaniHERDSman(m): 3:12am On Sep 26, 2016
I have always known soludo is a no gooder. Bloody thief angry

10 Likes

Re: $7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana by Businessideas: 3:21am On Sep 26, 2016
According to proshare, the list of these 14 banks and their foreign partners are shocked:

1. Black Rock Union Bank of Nigeria Plc

2. J.P. Morgan Chase Zenith Bank Plc

3. H.S.B.C First Bank of Nigeria Plc

4. BNP Paribas Intercontinental Bank Plc

5. UBS United Bank for Africa Plc

6. Credit Suisse IBTC Chartered Bank Plc

7. Morgan Stanley Guaranty Trust Bank plc

8. Fortis Bank PHB Plc

9. Investec Fidelity Bank Plc

10. ABN Amro Access Bank Plc

11. Cominvest Oceanic Bank Plc

12. ING Ecobank Plc

13. Bank of New York Stanbic Bank Plc

14. Crown Agents Diamond Bank Plc

https://www.proshareng.com/articles/MoneyIssues/CBN,-Nigerian-Banks,-Foreign-Reserves-and-the-Investor/1742

2 Likes

Re: $7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana by KingsCity: 3:23am On Sep 26, 2016
The SAN is obviously ignorant of the functions of the CBN

Key funtions of the CBN you learn in elementary economics : the CBN is both the banker's bank as well as the lender of last resort

Just like individuals can borrow from commercial banks, banks can borrow from the CBN

It is well within the functions of CBN to lend to commercial banks...it is character assasination to term it stealing as if Soludo collected the money and put it into his own pocket

If at all there is anything like that, the banks that borrowed the money should be asked to pay up with all the accummulated interests!

70 Likes 3 Shares

Re: $7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana by Standing5(m): 3:26am On Sep 26, 2016
Sensational stuff!

2 Likes

Re: $7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana by Nobody: 3:27am On Sep 26, 2016
This man is a typical Afonja...he hustled for the position of attorney General of the Federation, his name was on the short list but was never selected. Before then he wasn't known for all these, then after he was shunned, he became a crusader overnight...typical afonja, won't let us hear word; he's been barking since yesterday. HAD HE BEEN NOMINATED AND MADE ATTORNEY GENERAL OF THE FEDERATION, DO YOU THINK WE WOULD BE HEARING ALL THESE CRUSADE FROM HIM? TYPICAL AFONJA...GO AND HAVE A SEAT!

63 Likes 7 Shares

Re: $7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana by Pinkybush: 3:27am On Sep 26, 2016
Beware of land buyers!
Re: $7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana by Businessideas: 3:31am On Sep 26, 2016
KingsCity:
The SAN is obviously ignorant of the functions of the CBN

Key funtions of the CBN you learn in elementary economics : the CBN is both the banker's bank as well as the lender of last resort

Just like individuals can borrow from commercial banks, banls can borrow from the CBN

It is well within the functions of CBN to lend to commercial banks...it is character assasination to term it stealing as if Soludo collected the money and put it into his own pocket

Apparently, you didn't read the explanation by Falana and Henry Boyo.
The money was taken from the money held in trust for the nation and if such amount has to be loaned, it requires the approval of the real owners of the money with the constitutional oversight by the national assembly.
Due to this lack of due process, the whereabouts of the $7billion can not be explained shocked
These are private businesses for God's sake, Is it that Soludo "dashed" them $7billion as if it's his father's money? And we're opposing creating grazing reserves for herdsmen because they are private businesses yet no qualms when Soludo stole and illegally shared our $7billion to private businesses?Soludo should have ensured that this money is returned to the federation Account even with interest.
Now both the principal and accrued interest for the past 10 years can not be located yet these 14 banks are not perturbed!! shocked
Terrible things are happening in this country for God's sake. Even by the US standard, $7 billion is a lot of money!!

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: $7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana by fulaniHERDSman(m): 3:41am On Sep 26, 2016
Businessideas:

The money was taken from the money held in trust for the nation and if such amount has to be loaned, it requires the approval of the real owners of the money with the constitutional oversight by the national assembly.
Due to this lack of due process, the whereabouts of the $7billion can not be explained shocked
These are private businesses for God's sake, Is it that Soludo "dashed" them $7billion as if it's his father's money? And we're opposing creating grazing reserves for herdsmen because they are private businesses yet no qualms when Soludo stole and illegally shared our $7billion to private businesses?Soludo should have ensured that this money is returned to the federation Account even with interest.
Now both the principal and accrued interest for the past 10 years can not be located yet these 14 banks are not perturbed!! shocked
Terrible things are happening in this country for God's sake. Even by the US standard, $7 billion is a lot of money!!
Exactly!
They unnecessarilly get excited over necessary grazing reserves but put their heads in the sand when faced worse fraudulent act. Soludo must be jailed angry sad

9 Likes

Re: $7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana by Businessideas: 3:49am On Sep 26, 2016
fulaniHERDSman:

Exactly!
They unnecessarilly get excited over necessary grazing reserves but put their heads in the sand when faced worse fraudulent act. Soludo must be jailed angry sad

Cecilia Ibru-led Oceanic Bank, Erastus Akingbola -led Intercontinental Bank and Pat Utomi 's Bank PHB are no more. It means three of these 14 banks had already packed up and only God knows how their own share of the loot would be traced.Yet these banks were trading with governments deposit until lately when TSA was introduced. So what exactly do Nigerian banks do?
Or how does one explain the case of Access Bank that actually "collected double portion " because they collected and inherited Intercontinental Bank's portion shocked
Which bank inherited Oceanic Bank sef?

9 Likes

Re: $7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana by fulaniHERDSman(m): 3:52am On Sep 26, 2016
Businessideas:

Cecilia Ibru-led Oceanic Bank, Erastus Akingbola -led Intercontinental Bank and Pat Utomi 'S Bank PHB are no more. It means three of these 14 banks had already packed up and only God knows how their own share of the loot would be traced.
Or how does one explain the case of Access Bank that actually "collected double portion " because they collected and inherited Intercontinental Bank's portion shocked
Soludo has a date with the warders at Kuje prison angry

3 Likes

Re: $7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana by SamuelAnyawu(m): 3:53am On Sep 26, 2016
Soludo remains the worst and most corrupt Governor in CBN. He sacked and retired several CBN staff at his will.

CBN staff remain loyal to Lamido Sanusi who promoted all staff when due and ensured the best welfare packages for them...

Ask any CBN staff about the two governors

5 Likes

Re: $7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana by Businessideas: 3:58am On Sep 26, 2016
SamuelAnyawu:
Soludo remains the worst and most corrupt Governor in CBN. He sacked and retired several CBN staff at his will.

CBN staff remain loyal to Lamido Sanusi who promoted all staff when due and ensured the best welfare packages for them...

Ask any CBN staff about the two governors
Really? I actually thought his reign at CBN then effectively restored the CBN's authority to carry out its oversight and tame the banks.
I only knew of his disagreement with The Nigerian Mints over his decision to give the contract of printing new currency notes to a foreign firm even when the management of The Nigerian Minting company insisted that they can handle the job

3 Likes

Re: $7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana by KingsCity: 4:11am On Sep 26, 2016
Businessideas:

The CBN also functions as the government's bank

The CBN is free to lend deposits kept with them if they so choose. No bank including the CBN is meant to just keep funds deposited with it in it's vaults. The simple reason being that idle cash produces nothing

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: $7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana by SamuelAnyawu(m): 4:18am On Sep 26, 2016
Businessideas:

Really? I actually thought his reign at CBN then effectively restored the CBN's authority to carry out its oversight and tame the banks.
I only knew of his disagreement with The Nigerian Mints over his decision to give the contract of printing new currency notes to a foreign firm even when the management of The Nigerian Minting company insisted that they can handle the job

Nope Bro, that guy looted CBN treasury with reckless abandon. just ask any CBN staff you know about Soludo.... CBN staff will forever Idolise Sanusi Lamido

4 Likes

Re: $7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana by Businessideas: 4:21am On Sep 26, 2016
KingsCity:

The CBN also functions as the government's bank

The CBN is free to lend deposits kept with them if they so choose. No bank including the CBN is meant to just keep funds deposited with it in it's vaults. The simple reason being that idle cash produces nothing
Nobody is arguing about the right to Loan to banks. It's like saying that The Nigerian Police doesn't have the right to kill a criminal.
The point in focus is that due process was subverted by Soludo and the whereabouts of the $7billion and accrued interest can not be traced.The CBN has no record that these $7billion and the interest has been paid by the 14banks and their foreign collaborators!!!!
That explains why EFCC is being called in and clearly, since it took place under Soludo, he will have a case to answer.
This money should be traced and recovered.The national assembly should have a public enquiry on it because I believe this $7billiion amount is more than the MTN fine the national assembly was bothering itself with

13 Likes

Re: $7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana by KingsCity: 4:32am On Sep 26, 2016
Businessideas:

Nobody is arguing about the right to Loan to banks. It's like saying that The Nigerian Police doesn't have the right to kill a criminal.
The point is that due process was subverted and the whereabouts of the $7billion and accrued interest can not be traced and the CBN has no record that these $7billion and the interest has been paid!!!!
That explains why EFCC is being called in and clearly, since it took place under Soludo, he will have a case to answer.
This money should be traced and recovered.The national assembly should have a public enquiry on it because I believe this $7billiion amount is more than the MTN fine the national assembly was bothering itself with

If CBN gave loans to banks under Soludo and it wasn't repaid until the end of Soludo's tenure. then his successors could and should have pursued recovery. Soludo neither dashed them money nor did he write off their indebtedness. I don't see how CBN giving loans to commercial banks as they are empowered to do under the law can be termed stealing by the Governor.

The CBN has a duty to protect commercial banks from failing because of its negative impact on the economy and on individual depositors

11 Likes

Re: $7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana by Businessideas: 5:06am On Sep 26, 2016
KingsCity:

If CBN gave loans to banks under Soludo and it wasn't repaid until the end of Soludo's tenure. then his successors could and should have pursued recovery. Soludo neither dashed them money nor did he write off their indebtedness. I don't see how CBN giving loans to commercial banks as they are empowered to do under the law can be termed stealing by the Governor.

The CBN has a duty to protect commercial banks from failing because of its negative impact on the economy and on individual depositors
It's stealing when you take what doesn't belong to you or take possession of things that belongs to someone else !
The money shared doesn't belong to the CBN,soludo or his family , it was held in trust for the federation(Federal,States and LGA), he knew it but still went ahead to illegally shareit without any input from the real owners of the money.It was even extended to foreign banks shocked.Is it part of CBN mandate too to give loans to foreign banks?
The annoying part of it is that he was warned to desist from the illegality.He was so arrogant and clearly ignorant of the law too! Fortunately,ignorance is not an excuse to break the law.
Why do you think the current CBN submitted it's budget to the current national assembly? It's because those loans need to appropriated by law. The CBN is the chief banker to the federation and holds our money in trust.
You are right about his successor not doing enough and that is why they should all be investigated. But regardless of the investigation, the original sin was committed by Soludo.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: $7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana by Royals1st: 5:33am On Sep 26, 2016
Businessideas:

Cecilia Ibru-led Oceanic Bank, Erastus Akingbola -led Intercontinental Bank and Pat Utomi 's Bank PHB are no more. It means three of these 14 banks had already packed up and only God knows how their own share of the loot would be traced.Yet these banks were trading with governments deposit until lately when TSA was introduced. So what exactly do Nigerian banks do?

For oceanic is ECO BANK

1 Like

Re: $7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana by Businessideas: 5:42am On Sep 26, 2016
Royals1st:

For oceanic is ECO BANK
Thank you. So ECOBANK collected "double portion " too like Access Bank. O ga o.

1 Like

Re: $7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana by KingsCity: 5:45am On Sep 26, 2016
Businessideas:

It's stealing when you take what doesn't belong to you or take possession of things that belongs to someone else !
The money shared doesn't belong to the CBN,soludo or his family , it was held in trust for the federation(Federal,States and LGA), he knew it but still went ahead to illegally shareit without any input from the real owners of the money.It was even extended to foreign banks shocked.Is it part of CBN mandate too to give loans to foreign banks?
The annoying part of it is that he was warned to desist from the illegality.He was so arrogant and clearly ignorant of the law too! Fortunately,ignorance is not an excuse to break the law.
Why do you think the current CBN submitted it's budget to the current national assembly? It's because those loans need to appropriated by law. The CBN is the chief banker to the federation and holds our money in trust.
You are right about his successor not doing enough and that is why they should all be investigated. But regardless of the investigation, the original sin was committed by Soludo.

Your problem same as Falana is ignorance.

Another function of the CBN is management of the country's external reserves

Reserves is different from revenues accruing to the CRF which the tiers of government are meant to share

I have an assignment for you: go learn about external reserves - how they come about and how they are managed

7 Likes

Re: $7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana by Businessideas: 5:54am On Sep 26, 2016
KingsCity:

Your problem same as Falana is ignorance.

Another function of the CBN is management of the country's external reserves

Reserves is different from revenues accruing to the CRF which the tiers of government are meant to share

I have an assignment for you: go learn about external reserves - how they come about and how they are managed
Keep up with your ignorance and obscene mischief.You will soon tell the unbelievable story of how the ordinary CBN Act superceeds the country's national constitution.
It is abundantly clear that this is not about the functions of the CBN but a deliberate criminal attempt by someone to subvert due process in order to placate the 14 banks/suitcase bankers at the expense of the Nigerian people.
If you are a patriot and do not have anything to hide, you should join the call for the speedy recovery of this money with interest instead of playing at mischief.

12 Likes

Re: $7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana by KingsCity: 6:04am On Sep 26, 2016
Businessideas:

Keep up with your ignorance and obscene mischief.You will soon tell the unbelievable story of how the ordinary CBN Act superceeds the country's national constitution.
It is abundantly clear that this is not about the functions of the CBN but a deliberate criminal attempt by someone to subvert due process in order to placate the 14 banks/suitcase bankers at the expense of the Nigerian people.
If you are a patriot and do not have anything to hide, you should join the call for the speedy recovery of this money with interest instead of playing at mischief.

People like Soludo have worked very hard to earn their reputation. You dont just come up with wild and spurious allegations based ignorance of basic principles of economics and financial management

Falana may be a brilliant lawyer but lawyers have be known to be bad with figures. Managing the CBN is not all about law but advanced financial management and which Falana is ill-educated on

9 Likes

Re: $7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana by BuariCopyPaste: 6:09am On Sep 26, 2016
The effect of losing out of Buhari's cabinet.

This rabble-rouser should be ignored because he has taken into weed as a consolation for being ignored by Buhari thus darkening his lips and legal Reasonability .

Falana should keep on bleating perhaps he will heard and pitied and then made PA to the minister of transport on motor park levy.

3 Likes

Re: $7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana by Businessideas: 6:12am On Sep 26, 2016
KingsCity:

People like Soludo have worked very hard to earn their reputation. You dont just come up with wild and spurious allegations based ignorance of basic principles of economics and financial management

Falana may be a brilliant lawyer but lawyers have be known to be bad with figures. Managing the CBN is not all about law but advanced financial management and which Falana is ill-educated on
Save your energy for more productive contribution to this thread. Falana gave clear evidences and authoritative document released by the same CBN when it was under Soludo and instead of Soludo to show remorse and immediately join forces to recover the money,he started passing the Buck. It doesn't show a clear conscience and accountability. This is not a honorable conduct anywhere in the world.
It won't work. It was these kind of terrible decisions like that of Soludo that got us into this recession with all the proceeds from high oil prices frittered when we should have been saving for the rainy days like Saudi Arabia, UAE etc did.
Whoever is with our $7billion should be prosecuted and the money recovered!!

13 Likes

Re: $7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana by kingthreat(m): 6:15am On Sep 26, 2016
Falana just wants to be in the news. Giving his one-sided legal opinion as usual.
The only true SAN Nigeria ever had was Chief Gani Fahwemini

8 Likes

Re: $7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana by Businessideas: 6:18am On Sep 26, 2016
kingthreat:
Falana just wants to be in the news. Giving his one-sided legal opinion as usual.
The only true SAN Nigeria ever had was Chief Gani Fahwemini
I'm sure you didn't read the report of Falana. He quoted the CBN itself and even Henry Boyo, the renowned economist who in those years shouted to high heaven that Soludo was running voodoo economics.
If you lend someone money up to a collosal amount as $7billion,will you not collect your money with interest?

2 Likes

Re: $7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana by SirVintageCock: 6:49am On Sep 26, 2016
What are you on about, huh? That Soludo squandered the billion dollars with his cohorts in the commercial banks and we are just hearing it now when "recover did and DAT" is all APC and their minions can think about since their emergent . The renowned economist Henry Boyo who isn't "quite obviously " not a staff of CBN and Femi Falana a human right lawyer is now your source of authentic economic news from CBN, huh? So what exactly are you on about, please?
Businessideas:

I'm sure you didn't read the report of Falana. He quoted the CBN itself and even Henry Boyo, the renowned economist who in those years shouted to high heaven that Soludo was running voodoo economics.
If you lend someone money up to a collosal amount as $7billion,will you not collect your money with interest?

5 Likes

Re: $7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana by otukpo(f): 7:04am On Sep 26, 2016
Soludo stole the money and shared it among banks, falana, you no try.

1 Like

Re: $7billion: I Won’t Apologise To Soludo – Falana by GoggleB(m): 7:37am On Sep 26, 2016
Hmmmm..

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bukola Saraki Wins Sun's Outstanding Politician Of The Year Award (Photos) / Abe Disagrees With Amaechi Over Venue Of APC Congress / Ban On Okada Operations In 4 Additional Local Governments Begins Today In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.