Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,547 members, 7,816,332 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:40 AM

Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian (7777 Views)

Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! / Myths About Naira Devaluation - Nonso Obikili / What Is Devaluation Of Naira? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian by Flexherbal(m): 6:27am On Sep 26, 2016
• Real debt stock hits N19tr

Nigeria will spend an equivalent of its 2016 budget to service debts as its currency, the naira, continues to lose value against the United States dollar.

Devaluation has put the real value of the country’s debt stock at around N18.9 trillion, when considered at the official rate of N307.79 per dollar, according to figures from the Debt Management Office.

The additional naira stock (per dollar) that would be needed to service existing debt will cause the country to lose about N6.33 trillion, a near-equivalent of the 2016 budget, when compared to N12.6 trillion at N197 per dollar as at December 31, 2015. It is also a disincentive for future external borrowing despite a positive debt-to-GDP ratio.

“Hiding under the mantra of low debt-to-Gross Domestic Product is deceitful,” a public sector financial analyst, who asked not to be named, told The Guardian in Lagos at the weekend. “The economy is in recession and cannot churn out those activities anymore.
“If we compare our debt service bill without revenue earnings ratio, it is not sustainable and that is where foreign investors will be looking at to price our international bonds,” the public sector analyst said.

“With more than 21 per cent of the entire budget dedicated to debt service and more than 33 per cent of the total budget being in deficit, the budget performance is now made worse with near-non-activities called recession. The reality is daunting,” the source said.

The additional N6.33 trillion required to pay off Nigeria’s external debt represents 20.58 per cent, a one-fifth of its estimated $296 billion, or N91 trillion GDP.

The national debt stock consists of external obligations for both federal and state governments estimated at $11.3 billion (about N3.5 trillion); domestic obligations of $37.5 billion (about N11.5 trillion) and $12.7 billion (about N3.9 trillion) for federal and states respectively.

The devaluation was necessitated by the plummeted foreign exchange earnings, which created huge unmet demand due to the shortage of dollar and naturally erased the value of the local currency through speculations.

The debt report released by the Debt Management Office came two weeks behind schedule and put the debt stock by June 30, 2016 at $61.45 billion. The report stressed that the figure was higher in naira value than the $71.66 billion posted on March 31, 2016.

The amount, also at current official rate of N307.93 per dollar is higher than the estimated $65.43 billion debt worth N12.6 trillion as at December 31, 2015, at N197/$.

With a planned N1.8 trillion borrowing to fund the N2.2 trillion deficit in 2016 budget, from a mix of dollar-denominated and local debts, the country’s obligations and associated service bill will rise to new record high soon.

Already, the 2016 budget had a debt service provisioning in excess of N1.4 trillion, representing more than one-fifth of the entire budget plan.

The combined forces of devaluation and inflation, also took toll on the nation’s economic activities between December 2014 and 2015, eroding naira value, as well as pushing the sovereign debt stock to ₦12.12 trillion.

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) had in November 2014, tactically devalued the naira and barely three months later, it devalued the local unit further to ₦199/$.

Besides the concern for eroded value of the currency, which requires more naira to offset the debt stock when denominated in dollar terms, a conservative estimate of about N920 billion was lost to the then exchange rate, occasioned by devaluation, even at lower debt stock of $63.5 billion (June 2015), compared to $67.7 billion in December 2014.

The national debt stock as at then showed that the Federal and States external obligations as at December 31, 2014, stood at ₦11.2 trillion ($67.7 billion), but moved to ₦12.06 trillion ($63.5 billion) three months later and ₦12.12 trillion ($63.8 billion) as at June 30, 2015.

Given the eroding value, Nigeria lost about ₦920 billion to devaluation, with respect to the debt stock, representing 8.2 per cent loss over the actual value in six months.

Also within the period under review, the inflationary trend has been on persistent upward movement. Although still in single digit, it moved from eight per cent to 9.4 per cent, trend, defying all liquidity tightening measures of the Central Bank of Nigeria.

Still, the estimation of ₦920 billion loss appears to be conservative, given the fact that the domestic debts of sub-national governments (states) were denominated in dollar at the 2013 exchange rate of ₦155.7/$, which is not attainable now.

For example, if the states’ domestic debt profiles were denominated in current dollar exchange rate at ₦307.79, the total estimate would push losses far beyond N1 trillion mark.

http://m.guardian.ng/news/nigeria-loses-n6-33tr-to-naira-devaluation/

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian by Flexherbal(m): 6:34am On Sep 26, 2016
Devaluation in modern monetary policy is a reduction in the value of a currency with respect to those goods, services or other monetary units with which that currency can be exchanged.

"Devaluation" means official lowering of the value of a country's currency within a fixed exchange rate system, by which the monetary authority formally sets a new fixed rate with respect to a foreign reference currency. In contrast, depreciation is used to describe a decrease in a currency's value (relative to other major currency benchmarks) due to market forces, not government or central bank policy actions.

Under the second system central banks maintain the rates up or down by buying or selling foreign currency, usually but not always USD. The opposite of devaluation is called revaluation.
Reference: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devaluation

Mynd44 and Lalasticlala maybe we should send all Nairalanders to research, on how to rescue Nigeria, our Country.
This is the only country we have.
Re: Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian by speedyconnect3: 6:37am On Sep 26, 2016
i thought they said no to devaluation? Well devaluation usually has a benefits in the long run

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian by oyatmicah(m): 6:39am On Sep 26, 2016
and dey will b calling d money anyhow, no respect for trillions in my country again

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian by SamuelAnyawu(m): 6:43am On Sep 26, 2016

Chineke Nna

where are the APC Zombies

2019 we can't wait to send Pa Buhari back to Daura to enjoy a good time with his Grand kids

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian by okosodo: 6:49am On Sep 26, 2016
And they will lose more since buhari is still on jamboree. After all anything that happens, jonathan is there to take the blame

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian by Tallesty1(m): 6:54am On Sep 26, 2016
Jonathan forced Buhari to devalue the Naira - Lai Mohammed

38 Likes

Re: Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian by deeLima86(m): 11:18am On Sep 26, 2016
A Female Flatmate Needed @ A-kins Ajah//250k annually. 

Contact Amara @ 07010768591
Re: Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian by Chipappii(m): 11:18am On Sep 26, 2016
So Buhari later devalued the naira?

I know Efcc will later find the money in Patience Jonathan's dog's account. Senseless govt. Senseless zombies.

Meanwhile the offer is still on

We really need to sell most of our national assets.
Starting with buhari and his economic teams.
Let the bidding commence.
Bidding is only available to countries that can withstand these disasters like usa and uk.
It is purely restricted to kenya and Zimbabwe mostly and other african counties. We don't want africa to go into recession.
And additional bonus pack comprising of the party APC, lai Mohammed especially is to be presented also to the winner.
Some parts of northern and western Nigeria is also up for sales.
Contact Omenka, Ngeneukwenu and Beremx for more details.
For payment please contact me @ chipappii@nairaland.com

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian by Clone2020(m): 11:18am On Sep 26, 2016
If you want to send relatives money in Nigeria, I will buy your dollars @385/$ while you deposit into my US bank account. Dont even bother with western union and co, they exchange for 330/$.

All transactions are done within 1 minute.

Call or whatsapp, see contact in signature.
Re: Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian by mencade5(m): 11:19am On Sep 26, 2016
The past administration is responsible for this - useless brainless buhari

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian by omoikea(m): 11:19am On Sep 26, 2016
where we dey go for this country grin

shey na like this we go dey dey

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian by funnynation(m): 11:20am On Sep 26, 2016
The way people dey call dis big big money make me know say money no get value again.. Na die person dey so!

Do you know you can speak China.........
Now pronounce this words fast...
''My shoe shall soon shine"

*Nairaland official comedian* *Irep042*
*AbjFinestMC* *CFR*

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian by Victorakats(m): 11:20am On Sep 26, 2016
Q
Re: Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian by KingsCity: 11:21am On Sep 26, 2016
This is over six times the amount lost to subsidy fraud!

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian by mencade5(m): 11:21am On Sep 26, 2016
Yor -robber muslims. Hope u people are emjoying ur change. Betrayers!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian by Nobody: 11:22am On Sep 26, 2016
Make I buy one plot of land here
Re: Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian by oderinde151(m): 11:23am On Sep 26, 2016
Dis Buhari dey vex me [color=#990000][/color]

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian by prinsam30: 11:24am On Sep 26, 2016
and where the hell is that KemiAdeosun and her London used English

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian by Nobody: 11:24am On Sep 26, 2016
See our regular two mouthed Nigerians wailing, when the President was being dilatory about devaluation, you emergency economists came up shouting devaluation, now the currency have been devalued, you still condemning. So you never knew that devaluation would come at a cost? I thought you were all Harvard economists now?

I saw the thread that was asking what we would do if we become presidents, majority of you guys were spewing out inanities.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian by benueguy(m): 11:25am On Sep 26, 2016
E no consign me
Re: Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian by Icecomrade: 11:27am On Sep 26, 2016
Lolz

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian by ochuciano(m): 11:32am On Sep 26, 2016
deeLima86:
A Female Flatmate Needed @ A-kins Ajah//250k annually. 

Contact Amara @ 07010768591

with 250k she can get her own, Where is d benefits here?

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian by c4tnoelz: 11:32am On Sep 26, 2016
What Nigerians lost when dz baba go slow came on board and are still loosing is beyond our imagination.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian by Badtman(m): 11:35am On Sep 26, 2016
GOOD News
Re: Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian by ArabMopol(m): 11:36am On Sep 26, 2016
how I wishes my uncle that spent nearly 3 decade's in Gotham city will come back now with big Ghana must Go bag filled up with Us dollars...

what am I saying we are about planing his burial while he still much alive in State... God u choose to give Visa to those that don't know what to do with it

in the other comments, King Buhari is fantastically ignorance stupid and incalculable gworo chewing cow sipping dung, kunu drunken master

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian by garriguy: 11:36am On Sep 26, 2016
speedyconnect3:
i thought they said no to devaluation?
Well devaluation usually has a benefits in the long run
it never does. Jonathan devalued twice, IBB also did, many times where has it gotten us?

All the people shouting 'devaluation' I hope your eyes don clear?
Re: Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian by KINGwax007(m): 11:39am On Sep 26, 2016
Bolustic:
See our regular two mouthed Nigerians wailing, when the President was being dilatory about devaluation, you emergency economists came up shouting devaluation, now the currency have been devalued, you still condemning. So you never knew that devaluation would come at a cost? I thought you were all Harvard economists now?

I saw the thread that was asking what we would do if we become presidents, majority of you guys were spewing out inanities.
u dey mind them?
Re: Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian by shammah1(m): 11:41am On Sep 26, 2016
Buhari and APC has destroyed Nigeria. shocked cry

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian by bejeria101(m): 11:43am On Sep 26, 2016
Change is here,zombies go still support dis inept,olodo V12 govt. No rice for u for xmas.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Loses N6.33tr To Naira Devaluation. The Guardian by afanide: 11:56am On Sep 26, 2016
This is Good News for EXPORTERS cheesy cheesy
You want to go into Exportation Of Nigeria Commodities (Business)
Check my signature....

(1) (2) (Reply)

"We Are Not Indebted To AMCON" - MRS / Mack (tipper)- 20 Tonnes Capacity / Please Help, How Can I Resolve This Query From CAC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.