Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,507 members, 7,830,518 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:04 AM

Can I Start A Family With 70k? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can I Start A Family With 70k? (36987 Views)

Comparison In A Family. How Healthy Is It? / Can You Start A Family With This Salary In Nigeria? / Cheating Husband From Benue State Destroys Family With HIV/AIDS (must Read) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by oaroloye(m): 9:52pm On Sep 27, 2016
SHALOM!

pamelga:
I just got a job dat pays 70k per month couple with other allowances. Considering the economy, can I begin a family with this pay...
Advice please!

Answers are meaningless without details of WHERE ARE YOU LIVING?
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by VaginaTerrorist(m): 10:02pm On Sep 27, 2016
eghuan1:

i want to believe you are a guy. on your question, i will say it depends on your location and also the amount you can save at the end of the week. but you just got the job, should family be the immediate focus?
GodBlessYouMan...
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by Nobody: 10:02pm On Sep 27, 2016
Skoopy:

Observation: don't you think you have something in common with @dfrost?

Just thinking aloud.
holla
Gracias. Tú hablo éspanol
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by VaginaTerrorist(m): 10:02pm On Sep 27, 2016
eghuan1:

i want to believe you are a guy. on your question, i will say it depends on your location and also the amount you can save at the end of the week. but you just got the job, should family be the immediate focus?
GodBlessYouMan...

cheesycheesycheesycheesy
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by dfrost: 10:07pm On Sep 27, 2016
Iamhatey:
holla
Gracias. Tú hablo éspanol

De nada Iamhatey. Adiós. Beunas noches.
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by maasoap(m): 10:17pm On Sep 27, 2016
Me4sure:
Oh Yes you can
But your wife MUST be working and ready to shoulder some responsibilities until you balance
One rent a self contain for u and ur wife Only
If u rent more than that u have invested ur wife's family and ur own family as permanent guests and that means money
Try as much as u can to save between 20 to 25k monthly, give ur wife 20k for house keep
If u must use gen buy I pass my neighbor and do time table for twice a week usage
The remaining 25 to 30k is for general usage
That 25k * 12 = 300,000k
Your house rent must not be more than 100k
Now ur wife must save at least 5 to 10k per month
10k * 12 = 120k
After one year start a business with either of the money
Start family planning after u marry
After 9 to 12 months ur wife will take in
A couple that I know
The husband earns 60k
The wife earns 40k
They live in selfcon
After one year marriage they started a shop retail business that the wife manages once she closes from her place of work - shes a teacher
They have a sales girl in the shop
After Two years of Marriage the guy told me that they wanted to move to a one bedroom apartment but they wife insisted that they get a land in sango with the money
They are building their own house now, although they do not intend to leave there but he said its another business for them
They have a son now and he said that once they finish the house and rent some parts out they will move to a one bedroom
My dear anything is possible it just depends on you
Even if u earn 1m per month if u don't know how to organize urself, it still wont be enough.
Two years ago when they married the guy was actually earning less and the wife the same thing but they have been able to achieve even more than those that earn higher than them
I hope you are not referring to me, lol. My journey is similar to this. My marriage really pushed me to think outside the box, now I love business more than anything even my present salary job is going to be for a while.

1 Like

Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by SC31(f): 10:59pm On Sep 27, 2016
Miladi:

What an advice - a whack one I must say (no insult intended on your personality).

Wise people build their business before building their private estate. Obviously, the OP is working in the urban area in Lagos, so how's he going to afford money to buy land and start the possible one room project? Or, is land now free of charge in Lagos state? Don't tell me that he should go look for land in one of the villages near the state, because when you factor in the cost of transportation and stress of commuting from a far distance to a city centre, you would begin to understand the maxim penny wise pound foolish.

At the OP, the standard of life you intends to live should be the yardstick to determine if you can start famliy now or not. But remember, wise people always live their lives at the periphery of conventionlism. Create your life path and encrypt it. Good luck.
he doesn't have to go so far to get a land there are places around Lagos were lands are cheap with low cost of transportation(ogun st to be precise),that way he'll be rest assured that rent is covered.that has been the saving grace of many families that earn lesser than he does
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by Nobody: 11:31pm On Sep 27, 2016
No you cant
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by Nobody: 11:59pm On Sep 27, 2016
SAMBARRY:
exactly what I was about saying

Op do you know how much house rent is alone talkless OF other bills

The cheapest and decent house in Lagos is starting FROM 100k upwards and that is even self contained

If you're talking about 3 bedroom flat it's 200k upwards

Abi you want to live in face me I slap you where over 24 people will be sharing one toilet and bathroom, where they'll be stealing your wife's pant or your clothes.when you're fuckig your wife your neighbours will know and when your neighbours are having sex you will know.that one is gbo gbo ero house. Everyone will be in your buisness giving you solicited and unsolicited advice ON how to live your life.meanwhile your neighbours can be hemp smoker or drunkard. It's 24k per year but I can assure you you won't enjoy your life living there

You will still pay nepa bills
buy generator
fuel it (especially when the kids start coming )
Your wife has needs you will satisfy her otherwise she's leaving. A woman's tolerance level to poverty differs
You will buy food stuffs
To refill gas cooker you're talking of 4,500
The cheapest private school in Lagos is at least 80k.how do you want to cope?

You better get your priorities straight. Marriage is not your problem now get a job or start a buisness, get comfortable before you turn to a wretched frustrated and angry or violent man

please where can you get a flat of 200k in lagos?
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by TheProfe: 12:05am On Sep 28, 2016
pamelga:
It's not the main focus but it's important I start considering it...I'm a guy and based in Lagos.

Yes, you should be able to raise a small family with 70k provided certain conditions are in place:
1. You don't have extended family members to cater for.
2. Your transportation cost is fair, say 10% of your entire salary.
3. Your wife is able to support the family financially.

But above all, there's a place called HIGHER. As a result, believe God for great open doors.
He's a God that can change your story for good just within days before or after the wedding.

All the best Bro.
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by Nobody: 12:19am On Sep 28, 2016
my brother, you can start your family.proper planning is d key.As you go on things would get better and u will b happy you will grow old with your kids
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by Nobody: 12:50am On Sep 28, 2016
Op you can but it's a trap. You will certainly struggle financially except God intervenes. If your still in your twenties pls kindly save and investment the money. If you can buy a plot of land and start building a bungalow anyhow just try. You can survive very well with your 70k if you evade house rent. If not you will struggle to save 1k at the end of the month that if your not indebted.
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by tomdon(m): 3:55am On Sep 28, 2016
Olumyyde:

By GOD'S grace,my children will not suffer,neither did i,or did u?cos i never said my wife to be is jobless..tnx.

Amen
But if you're banking on your wife's salary and 70k then you need a rethink because that's a good recipe for struggles.
Anyway that's why I said you get liver, 70k is infinitesimally small, wait for a little raise to maybe at least 150k
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by kennethology(m): 4:45am On Sep 28, 2016
Guy please that money is too small o! Just wait till you are promoted.atleast earn 350,000 to start with
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by Kkposky: 5:49am On Sep 28, 2016
pamelga:
I just got a job dat pays 70k per month couple with other allowances. Considering the economy, can I begin a family with this pay...
Advice please!

70k is enough to start up a family, my brother. Don't mind what people are saying..how many Nigerians are earning more than that.. Most of people saying it is not enough are jobless and dreaming of get a job of 200k.. "may their dreams come true "

2 Likes

Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by viazi: 6:10am On Sep 28, 2016
Flee from "the war to come"
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by angelroz: 9:25am On Sep 28, 2016
pamelga:
Advice please!

dont even think about it.
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by angelroz: 9:26am On Sep 28, 2016
Kkposky:

70k is enough to start up a family, my brother. Don't mind what people are saying..how many Nigerians are earning more than that.. Most of people saying it is not enough are jobless and dreaming of get a job of 200k.. "may their dreams come true "

Dont even advice him wrongly, times are hard. 70k? when the price of everything has gone up. Na God name i take beg you.
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by Nobody: 10:02am On Sep 28, 2016
Are you an estate agent? Call me abeg. I need a house in Festac, Lagos

SAMBARRY:
exactly what I was about saying

Op do you know how much house rent is alone talkless OF other bills

The cheapest and decent house in Lagos is starting FROM 100k upwards and that is even self contained

If you're talking about 3 bedroom flat it's 200k upwards

Abi you want to live in face me I slap you where over 24 people will be sharing one toilet and bathroom, where they'll be stealing your wife's pant or your clothes.when you're fuckig your wife your neighbours will know and when your neighbours are having sex you will know.that one is gbo gbo ero house. Everyone will be in your buisness giving you solicited and unsolicited advice ON how to live your life.meanwhile your neighbours can be hemp smoker or drunkard. It's 24k per year but I can assure you you won't enjoy your life living there

You will still pay nepa bills
buy generator
fuel it (especially when the kids start coming )
Your wife has needs you will satisfy her otherwise she's leaving. A woman's tolerance level to poverty differs
You will buy food stuffs
To refill gas cooker you're talking of 4,500
The cheapest private school in Lagos is at least 80k.how do you want to cope?

You better get your priorities straight. Marriage is not your problem now get a job or start a buisness, get comfortable before you turn to a wretched frustrated and angry or violent man
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by SAMBARRY: 12:37pm On Sep 28, 2016
Skinluxe:
Are you an estate agent? Call me abeg. I need a house in Festac, Lagos

I'm not

But let me give you a piece of advice
Lagos is congested so is ibadan.these big cities are experincing massive population explosion. The infrastructural facilities cannot cater for the millions of lagosians trooping into Lagos every day so why don't you try places like ijebu ode or abeokuta
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by SAMBARRY: 12:42pm On Sep 28, 2016
eyinjuege:

Excuse you, I'm just someone who sees life as it is.

I don't do all that gender battles or what not.

Hardly will you see a man these days that'll refuse his wife's help in meeting the needs of the home. Women's earning power is equal if not more than the men these days in Naija, at least in the corporate world.

Let's be real here and face reality. It's not all men that have good jobs.
Even those with relatively good jobs don't live according to the standard they would have loved to. Who doesn't like going on holidays to exotic places? Who doesn't want their children to go to BIS?
But the truth is few people can live that lifestyle.

Don't be deceived that because we're all typing and chatting on the Internet that we are all on the same level.

Those mushroom schools cater for a lot of children including those whose parents are on NL (until our govt can provide basic education, and increase the no of public schools primary and secondary levels) . At least the govt can put checks and balances in place to monitor those mushroom schools and the people they employ

Not all NLers live abroad, or in duplexes or flats.
Millions of people live in face me I slap you, and some are also on NL, some send their children to mushroom schools. Public Schools are not really bad with the staff employed, but they have poor infrastruture and we have plenty of pupils registered there. In fact, I've got some wonderful colleagues who are products of these public schools.
We have some men in their 40s and 50s not earning upto the 70k, do we still ask them to wait till they hit it before starting a family ? Remember, it's not everyone that'll get that breakthrough.
Like I said earlier, everyone should cut their coat according to their cloth. Some families live on the 70k
who is doing gender battle with this one?I'm telling you the truth and you're talking about gender battles.don't worry na.enu e lowayen.when your children starts gbagauing in the house and learning crass words you didn't teach him at home you will know what's up

Public schools are wonderful my foot.make una continue deluding yourselves it's allowed this is nl.don't work hard so that your family can live a comfortable life.go and marry and start children in an environment of poverty
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by Hammefeez: 12:54pm On Sep 28, 2016
Iamhatey:
I will mention you when we start the thread. Follow me and I will follow back

alright. You can follow back now

your dp tho grin
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by eyinjuege: 1:11pm On Sep 28, 2016
SAMBARRY:
who is doing gender battle with this one?I'm telling you the truth and you're talking about gender battles.don't worry na.enu e lowayen.when your children starts gbagauing in the house and learning crass words you didn't teach him at home you will know what's up

Public schools are wonderful my foot.make una continue deluding yourselves it's allowed this is nl.don't work hard so that your family can live a comfortable life.go and marry and start children in an environment of poverty

Good for you. Worry about your own children and the African magic you expose them to.
There are pupils in the public schools, which were created for a reason. For free education, especially for those who cannot afford it.
Your child going to the most expensive school doesn't mean he/she will be more intelligent than those going to public schools. You will still see some of your children's classmates in university that went to public pry and secondary schools.
A parent plays the major role in raising children, and provided you don't leave it all to the teachers, those going to public schools will be fine.
Crass words can be picked equally in posh schools, since being rich doesn't necessarily determine your values.
They say all sorts like fu¢k, s#it etc which their parents also use. Those are not polite words, and are picked from home a lot of times.
Talking about being comfortable, that's relative.
Not everyone will be rich, not everyone will be able to afford expensive schools, not everyone will be able to afford a car to take your children around, not everyone will be able to afford expensive hospitals.
Its just life

1 Like

Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by SAMBARRY: 1:18pm On Sep 28, 2016
eyinjuege:

Good for you. Worry about your own children and the African magic you expose them to.
There are pupils in the public schools, which were created for a reason. For free education, especially for those who cannot afford it.
Your child going to the most expensive school doesn't mean he/she will be more intelligent than those going to public schools. You will still see some of your children's classmates in university that went to public pry and secondary schools.
A parent plays the major role in raising children, and provided you don't leave it all to the teachers, those going to public schools will be fine.
Crass words can be picked equally in posh schools, since being rich doesn't necessarily determine your values.
They say all sorts like fu¢k, s#it etc which their parents also use. Does are not polite words, and are picked from home a lot of times.
Talking about being comfortable, that's relative.
Not everyone will be rich, not everyone will be able to afford expensive schools, not everyone will be able to afford a car to take your children around, not everyone will be able to afford expensive hospitals.
Its just life
see self consolation grin

Private university never finish na grin tongue
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by SSpeter(m): 1:25pm On Sep 28, 2016
Zaronxpanol:
@ OP. If you aren't up to 35yrs old, pls work hard and build up your income, and don't be in a hurry to get married. If you are more than 35yrs you can get married due to age factor. Truth be told with 70k you can get married but you will live a struggling life. Even if your wife earns more than you, her money is not yours and she expect you to provide the basic while she support you but not always....No woman feels happy when she is playing the role her husband is suppose to play, even if she is a pastor's wife, she may smile and help you, but deep within she won't be happy. your ego may also be affected indirectly, except if you are naturally humble and tolerant....It takes a humble and confident man to marry a woman who earns more and support the house.....
But my money is our money?....lol...
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by Swizdom(m): 1:42pm On Sep 28, 2016
SAMBARRY:

I know you mean well SAMBARRY, but most of your advice comes up as generalization. It is just like seeing a depressed man weeping and you say to him, " you will be fine." Of course he knows but wants to be taken through the thought process to be fine.

The way you hammer on "work hard" like it is a prerequisite for success. It is not. Just the same way love alone isn't the prerequisite for a happy home. There people who work extremely hard but what they get the next day is their sack letter. There are people who have worked hard in their business and what they see the next day is fire consuming the whole thing.

I like your advice per se but others here hit the nail more on the head than yours (no offense). I respect you a lot not even on this thread. Life is full of ups and downs. It is a risk but with God it is vert, very easy no matter the circumstance. No wonder King Solomon said everything is about time and chance. I have come to realize that what he meant was that the chance should be taken by us and not wait till it comes. Nice day ahead!
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by Swizdom(m): 1:49pm On Sep 28, 2016
I was opportune to hear the success story of a wealthy man. His story is simply what anyone calls , " From zero to Hero". I will only tell one segment of his entire story.

There was a time , according to him, he went for a contract while he was starting up gradually. The man to award him the Million contract has written down the details of the whole thing and it was only for the hustling guy to sign. At just that moment he was about to sign, The wealthy man asked him if he was married, and he said "No". The wealthy man retrieved the Contract back and told him it's over.

The poor guy wept and vowed to marry the love of his life few months after. He said, in his own words, " the open doors I began to have as soon as I married was really something else."

Se fini
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by nuelyoyo(m): 1:56pm On Sep 28, 2016
I think it depends on the Op's age, if he is in his mid or late 20s, he can still work for years and hopefully move up the salary ladder before thinking of marriage. Buh if he is in his mid 30s, then I can understand if he is contemplating marriage with 70k. Truth is, there is never a perfect time to marry, it all depends on the mindset of the would be couple. My advice to the Op is that the woman he is considering marriage with must have something doing, if she has gone to school with no job, he should sponsor her to acquire a skill. Her income will help augment his, with proper planning, smart work (coz hardwork o jawo mo) and God's favour, the sky is their limit.
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by Nobody: 2:14pm On Sep 28, 2016
OK. Thanks for the info.

SAMBARRY:
I'm not

But let me give you a piece of advice
Lagos is congested so is ibadan.these big cities are experincing massive population explosion. The infrastructural facilities cannot cater for the millions of lagosians trooping into Lagos every day so why don't you try places like ijebu ode or abeokuta

1 Like

Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by shugasofttouch: 9:21pm On Sep 28, 2016
pamelga:
Advice please!
NO. Smh nonsense when some people r looking for just 40k n wld start up a family u r complaining. Smh pls giv my fiance job n pay den see how we'll start a family wif it.
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by Gwazah(m): 2:21pm On Sep 29, 2016
shugaboy6102:
you bad gan.see polite insult abeg?? I guess the op got the mesage.
Haha
Re: Can I Start A Family With 70k? by tonero230(m): 5:54pm On Sep 29, 2016
Handsomecole:
I don't know how to advice you. But Ist minus 22K bag of rice from your salary.

Is he buying the bag of rice every month?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

My Mom Is A Troublemaker... I Need Help / People Exchange Kids, Clothes For Food To Survive Hard Times / Creative Maternity Shoot Of Husband Putting A Pregnancy Into His Wife (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.