Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,339 members, 7,864,616 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 09:45 PM

Odemwingie Wants Fans Support - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Odemwingie Wants Fans Support (644 Views)

Odemwingie Still Wants To Play For Nigeria / West Bromwich Coach Roy Hodgson Blasts Odemwingie / Yobo Demands Fans’ Support Against Guinea (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Odemwingie Wants Fans Support by kaaz(m): 10:07am On Oct 14, 2009
Odemwingie wants fans support

Osaze Odemwingie has called for fans to back Nigeria
Nigeria's Osaze Odemwingie has urged Super Eagles fans to back the team in their bid to qualify for the World Cup.

Odemwingie was talking after fans booed Nigeria before their 1-0 win over Mozambique on Sunday.

In order to get to the finals in South Africa the Super Eagles must win their final game in Kenya and hope Tunisia draw or lose in Mozambique.

"I want them [the fans] to send out positive energy, prayers and help us believe as well" he told BBC Sport.

"To play their part in believing that we are going to qualify.

"I want the same atmosphere around the country that we had before the game against Tunisia, because we went to Tunis and got a positive result.

"The atmosphere was very good as they believed in us."

Odemwingie, who was voted Nigerian player of the year on Sunday, says the team was affected by the fans who booed during the national anthem before thegame against Mozambique.

"It was very painful, I didn't expect that, it's sad because I think true football fans are always with the team even if things are rough," he said.

"It did affect us in a way at the beginning of the game, it's something we had to deal with, it disturbed our our concentration and we got irritated.

"But as we looked for a goal we forgot about the other things off the pitch. "

The Lokomotiv Moscow player is still confident that Nigeria can qualify for the World Cup finals especially after Tunisia only beat Kenya 1-0 on Sunday.

"If Tunisia had a convincing over Kenya maybe our hopes would have been less," he explained.

"The performance of Mozambique also gives us hope also gives us hope that they can give a good fight against Tunisia at home.

"What's most exciting is that the top two teams are fighting for the World Cup and the lower two teams are fighting for the Nations Cup, so both games are going to be tough.

"We just have to optimistic not be critics now as we still have chances.

"If we start looking for problems we are just going to spoil what we have done so far."

(1) (Reply)

Hope For Super Eagles As Mozambique Promise Tunisia Hell / Let Me Thank Fifa For Bringing This Tournament To Nigeria - Yar'adua / The Phrophet And The Players

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.