Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,241 members, 7,811,671 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:58 PM

The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State (8131 Views)

The NGO Regulatory Bill: Summary & Its Implications On NGOs In Nigeria (Photos) / Check Out The Chinese Nationals That Adopted Igbo Identity In Anambra State / The Lies About Mungo Park Discovery Of River Niger & The Igbo Identity Question (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Eastfield1: 12:28pm On Sep 28, 2016
joeprince23:
All this dumbskulls quoting INTERNET up and down sef! Ikwere(exept small part of emohua),etche,omuma,ahoada east,onelga,oyigbo,etc are all igbo. As an ndoki man i know this for sure because i am from rivers and i have lived and worked in different communities in rivers state. Some years back i went for an interview at the NDDC towers in aba road PH,i was asked if i could speak any rivers language,i said yes i can speak ndoki and ikwerre dialect. Behold and ogoni man right there coorrected me by saying"IKWERE and NDOKI are not RIVERS language rather they are IGBO". It was right there that i now realised rational behind igbo denial in this our rivers state, we igbos are majority but we are divided and stigmatised for being igbo.in abuloma an ikwere man is not seen as an indegene but rather as an IGBO man.during the construction of iriebe housing project in obio-apko. oyigbo people(my ndoki community) had a fierce disagreement with the iriebe(ikwere) people,we speak same dialect but we are not united
i like reading ur comment when it come to igbo matter.
always making sense

2 Likes

Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Nobody: 1:22pm On Sep 28, 2016
blues20:

Because you are one fat head liar…. When you talk about Igbo matter, you get me involve. Besides, the thread no even concern you. Come to think of it, are you not the one that redesign that Rivers State Website with Wordpress?
Get a professional to hand-code your website for you, so you get ROI in security and durability. Na advice sha.
I didn't write the website Mr web developer,
Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Nobody: 2:22pm On Sep 28, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

I didn't write the website Mr web developer,
But you sound like you did, or [b]may be you influenced [/b]it Mr. Man. cool
Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Nobody: 2:24pm On Sep 28, 2016
@Cheruv, I can sight you peeping. Where you go hide when we need you the most. Welcome back from...
Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Armaggedon: 11:08pm On Sep 28, 2016
The rivers state website is http://riversstate.gov.ng It is even acknowledged on http://riversstate.net.ng/contact/ which is the website being brandished by those who claim there are no Igbos in Rivers state. All govenment websites in Nigeria ends with 'gov.ng'

BTW, i found the below on this website managed by fed. Min. of communication technology
Created on May 27, 1967, Rivers state covers
a total area of 11,077 km (4,277 sq mi) and
has a total population of 5,198,716 as at the
2006 census. With an average population
density of 469/km (3063/sq mi) and a total
GDP (2010) of $21,073 Million, at $3,965 Per
Capita.
Rivers State is one of the 36 states of
Nigeria. Its capital is Port Harcourt. It is
bounded on the South by the Atlantic Ocean,
to the North by Imo, Abia and Anambra
States, to the East by Akwa Ibom State and
to the West by Bayelsa and Delta states.
Rivers state is home to three main ethnic
groups: Igbo, Ijaw, and Ogoni.

The inland part of Rivers state consists of
tropical rainforest; towards the coast the
typical Niger Delta environment features
many mangrove swamps. Agriculture is the
main occupation of the people of Rivers
State and the agricultural policy of the state
government is anchored on food
production. This provides employment for
young school leavers and university
graduates. These agricultural activities are
grouped' under Community Block Farming
Scheme, Community Fishing Scheme,
Livestock Scheme and Rabbitry. Rivers State
has one of the largest economies in Nigeria,
mainly because of its crude oil.
http://services.gov.ng/rivers

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Nobody: 11:21pm On Sep 28, 2016
Armaggedon:
The rivers state website is rivers.gov.ng it is even acknowledged in http://riversstate.net.ng/contact/ All govenment websites in Nigeria ends with 'gov.ng'

BTW, i found the below on this website managed by fed. Min. of communication technology

http://services.gov.ng/rivers
What are we not going to see in the hands of mischievous fellas. I knew that site was fake the very first time our afonja brothers kept dangling that nonsense on our face. All government website usually ends with gov.ng but this one is totally alien. Good job brother for unearthing the truth. I just checked the link you provided and guess what?
The real Rivers state website is http://www.riverstate.gov.ng/ and not the cloned one been peddled. The above real website has been non functional for a long time now, which gave the Igbo haters the opportunity to clone a fake one themselves. Gosh! How gullible have we been all the while. I think a thread need to be open to counter the false information peddled since.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Nobody: 12:17am On Sep 29, 2016
[quote author=AjiereTuwo post=49731955]Igbos that are not even united among themselves want to annex other ethnic groups because they are minorities, to this day an Ndoki man can't be a governor in Abia state, because they are seen as Ijaws, an Anambra man isnt given the same benefits as an indegene in Imo, and you are here writing useless articles. Rivers state is a blessed state dats why your youths are leaving your eroded regions to find greener pastures, beyond oil we will still survive, so move on with this your bulsit[/quote
don't write what you don't know.Their is no ijaw tribe in abia state neither are the ndoki (ukwa east and west lga) people of abia state seen as ijaw they are aligned with their brethren of the ngwa tribe in the ukwa ngwa umbrella .The ndoki tribe peeps like you claim we abians see as ijaws where agitating for a state (aba state) made up of the ndoki tribe in both rivers and abia and the ngwa Igbo tribe in abia which encompasses 7 LGA.Your campaign of calumny is now irritating. tell me which region in Nigeria doesn't have regionally infighting's?
Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Nobody: 12:24am On Sep 29, 2016
Marcelini:

You are very ignorant. Has an
Umunneochi, Ohafia, Asa or Aro man ever ruled in Abia state before?

No one sees Ndoki as Ijaws, It's desperate Ijaws that are claiming Ndoki, simply because a part of Okrika originated from Igbo speaking Ndoki. You are ignorant.
Ndoki speaks Igbo language, holds Kola nut and yam in high esteem, has the Igbo four Market days, and has the Ala/ chi religious belief.
Aldophus Wabara was an Ndoki man that was once the Senator representing Abia south, and became Senate President at a time.

Ebonyi man currently leads Ohanaeze Ndiigbo, and has respect across all board. Uwazururike once commanded respect across all board to, he is from Imo

Kanu Nnamdi, enjoys respect and followership in Anambra more than anywhere else, yet he is from Abia.

You are not an Igbo speaking person from Rivers,so your opinion in this discussion was not demanded, yet here you are barking all over the place.
don't mind the ignoramus. nobi em fault.I just wish their is a nairaland thread where the whole tribe's making up the Igbo ethnic group can be represented it time this misinformation being spread online is curbed.

2 Likes

Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by 9japride(m): 5:29am On Sep 29, 2016
I knew it. What do u expect when most of our youths are yahoo yahoo and lack good home training. Soo mischievous without conscience. Maybe those community sharing boundaries with Imo state speaks Yoruba and Hausa dialect?

1 Like

Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Nobody: 6:06am On Sep 29, 2016
[quote author=eduj post=49758696][/quote]
Ndoki(Aminadokiari) are Ijaws in diaspora
1) They bear Ijaw(IBANI)family names(epelle, opusunju,jaja, jumbo
2) there dressing is Etibo and woko(ijaw attire), even the way there women tie their wrappers is the Ijaw style
3)their music is ijoid(akusa drums) in the owuogbo style
4) they see ibani ijaws as there closest relatives
5)their dialect is filled with Ijaw words.

And about that website giving you guys nightmares it is as legit as okoloama being in ndoki territory. It remains the property of rsg and managed by their ict dept

Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Beadex1(m): 6:16am On Sep 29, 2016
Article like this makes me sick, the usage of oil can never extinct. Nigeria is just a funny country with myopic tendencies. Have you ever thought about us refining the product and selling within the continent alone or Nigeria is big deal for us. Leave igbos and south south alone.
Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Nobody: 7:05am On Sep 29, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

2) there dressing is Etibo and woko(ijaw attire), even the way there women tie their wrappers is the Ijaw style

And about that website giving you guys nightmares it is as legit as okoloama being in ndoki territory. It remains the property of rsg and managed by their ict dept
I don't care about what the rivers website says,all I want you to know is that your ndoki ijaw aborigine theory ends in rivers state.I would love you to explain how the ndoki man lost his ethnic language to 'adopt' Igbo.do you even know what the map of rivers look like?how did the ijaw tribe leap from their creeks into obigbo/oyibo(which means the heart of the Igbo nation) perhaps you can tell me what it was called before we Igbo's colonised it.
Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Eastlink(m): 7:30am On Sep 29, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

[s]Ndoki(Aminadokiari) are Ijaws in diaspora
5)their dialect is filled with Ijaw words.[/s]

Oga you aren't making sense at all. What if I tell you that the Ibani's in question are Igbo in origin?
1) The Ndoki's are not Ijaws in diaspora but pure Igbo sub-group, with related ancestry with the Ngwa and other southern Igbo groups.

2) According to a section of history, the Ndoki's were said to be the original founders of Ibani. The first Bonny King and founder Ndoli Okpara was said to be an Ndoki man which thus wipes off Ijaw claims of establishing the kingdom and validating it's Igbo origin. Other Kings as Asimini, Alagbarinye were of pure Ndoki (Igbo) ancestry. The Ijaws only arrived Ibani as potters and have no legitimate claim to the founding of Ibani, thus are now bent on changing the last Igbo link (Ndoki) to Ijaws to make their fraudulent claims valid.

3)Ibani family names such as Opunsunju, Epelle, Jaja, Owujie, Ubogu, Jumbo etc are not Ijoid names but Ibani (Igbo) names and have no connection with Ijaws.

4)The tieing of two wrappers as well as as the etibo and woko are not Ijaw attires. The attires were introduced by the early Portuguese to communities within the coast. The Ibani and Ndoki just like the Itshekiri, Urhobos, Efiks and other coastal tribes were among the first to put on the attires, because of their early contact with the white men. Other tribes followed suit and today it has become a cultural accepted practice by people of the lower niger area, Igbo inclusive.

4) The Ibani music has never been Ijoid but rather Igboid. The Ndoki's of Asa who were the orginal founders took the Igbo musical drums to the coast of Bonny. Festival such as the Nwaotam boat regatta is a testimony of early Igbo cultural influence, the same goes for the Owuogbo (Owu) festival still celebrated till this day in parts of Orlu Imo state.

5) The language been spoken today in Ndoki and Ibani is a dialect of the Igbo language mutually intelligible to both groups.

6) The first Igbo language Bible was translated in Ibani(Igbo) dialect and used as a medium to propagate christianity in Igboland. Till today, the Bonny-Opobo language is considered a dialect of Igbo, just like Ngwa and Etche.

5) The Ndoki and Ibani (Bonny and Opobo) are blood relatives sharing both ancentral and cultural link in common. Thus the both group are associated with Igbo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by joeprince23(m): 7:32am On Sep 29, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

the truth is that you are dumb. Igbo is a NATION not a TRIbE,there are riverine igbos in anambra(ogbaru anam etc),in rivers, in abia. Abiriba/ohohia people in abia state have same culture and dressing with ibani people of rivers. My point is that RED CAP is not what makes some one igbo,you wont understand this cause you are not igbo or even from rivers... In BORI polytechnique(ogoni hartland), wether you from ikwere,nnewi,ngwa etche etc ogoni people no wan no to them you are igbo

2 Likes

Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Eastlink(m): 7:35am On Sep 29, 2016
joeprince23:
the truth is that you are dumb. Igbo is a NATION not a TRIbE,there are riverine igbos in anambra(ogbaru anam etc),in rivers, in abia. Abiriba/ohohia people in abia state have same culture and dressing with ibani people of rivers. My point is that RED CAP is not what makes some one igbo,you wont understand this cause you are not igbo or even from rivers... In BORI polytechnique(ogoni hartland), wether you from ikwere,nnewi,ngwa etche etc ogoni people no wan no to them you are igbo
You guys should stop quoting that guy. His points are baseless.
Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Nobody: 11:53am On Sep 29, 2016
joeprince23:
Are u okay at all ogoni doesn't know their ikwerre brothers? Ikwerre is a recognized tribe in Nigerian constitution so stop peddling this lies, ndoki can be whatever they want I am not like you Igbos who change history to promote propaganda
Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Nobody: 12:02pm On Sep 29, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

Are u okay at all ogoni doesn't know their ikwerre brothers? Ikwerre is a recognized tribe in Nigerian constitution so stop peddling this lies, ndoki can be whatever they want I am not like you Igbos who change history to promote propaganda
You no dey tire? So what is Amadi -Ama doing in Abuloma? Is Amadi not an Igbo word? Answer me now or....
Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Nobody: 4:02pm On Sep 29, 2016
blues20:

You no dey tire? So what is Amadi -Ama doing in Abuloma? Is Amadi not an Igbo word? Answer me now or....
Or wetin, u think say i dey like una wey go reach extent of writing fake Wikipedia articles or writing Dose una tales by moonlight stories, i put an information online, u didn't say weda it is tru or not instead you bring up Amadi-ama. Abi ama na igbo word.
Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Nobody: 4:06pm On Sep 29, 2016
Eastlink:
Oga you aren't making sense at all. What if I tell you that the Ibani's in question are Igbo in origin?
1) The Ndoki's are not Ijaws in diaspora but pure Igbo sub-group, with related ancestry with the Ngwa and other southern Igbo groups.

2) According to a section of history, the Ndoki's were said to be the original founders of Ibani. The first Bonny King and founder Ndoli Okpara was said to be an Ndoki man which thus wipes off Ijaw claims of establishing the kingdom and validating it's Igbo origin. Other Kings as Asimini, Alagbarinye were of pure Ndoki (Igbo) ancestry. The Ijaws only arrived Ibani as potters and have no legitimate claim to the founding of Ibani, thus are now bent on changing the last Igbo link (Ndoki) to Ijaws to make their fraudulent claims valid.

3)Ibani family names such as Opunsunju, Epelle, Jaja, Owujie, Ubogu, Jumbo etc are not Ijoid names but Ibani (Igbo) names and have no connection with Ijaws.

4)The tieing of two wrappers as well as as the etibo and woko are not Ijaw attires. The attires were introduced by the early Portuguese to communities within the coast. The Ibani and Ndoki just like the Itshekiri, Urhobos, Efiks and other coastal tribes were among the first to put on the attires, because of their early contact with the white men. Other tribes followed suit and today it has become a cultural accepted practice by people of the lower niger area, Igbo inclusive.

4) The Ibani music has never been Ijoid but rather Igboid. The Ndoki's of Asa who were the orginal founders took the Igbo musical drums to the coast of Bonny. Festival such as the Nwaotam boat regatta is a testimony of early Igbo cultural influence, the same goes for the Owuogbo (Owu) festival still celebrated till this day in parts of Orlu Imo state.

5) The language been spoken today in Ndoki and Ibani is a dialect of the Igbo language mutually intelligible to both groups.

6) The first Igbo language Bible was translated in Ibani(Igbo) dialect and used as a medium to propagate christianity in Igboland. Till today, the Bonny-Opobo language is considered a dialect of Igbo, just like Ngwa and Etche.

5) The Ndoki and Ibani (Bonny and Opobo) are blood relatives sharing both ancentral and cultural link in common. Thus the both group are associated with Igbo.
I stoped reading this stuff at the point you said opusunju, epelle and jaja are igbo names and how owu become an igbo word, ibani is an ijaw dialect and is in no way intelligible with igbo, what are you even smoking there are audio recordings online for people willing to search, its only dat blues guy dat makes small sense you on d other hand, make no point. Since Igbo and Ibani are now intelligible
What are the meaning of these words you claim to be Igbo
Okoloama
Opusunju
Juwojuwogha
Epelle
A mina doghu kiari
Owu ogbo
Dakuku
Adonye
Tamuno
Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Marcelini(m): 4:14pm On Sep 29, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

Or wetin, u think say i dey like una wey go reach extent of writing fake Wikipedia articles or writing Dose una tales by moonlight stories, i put an information online, u didn't say weda it is tru or not instead you bring up Amadi-ama. Abi ama na igbo word.

"ama" is an Igbo word.

It means ground, space, clearing, outside, etc.

We have upto 20 places in Igboland with the name Ezi-ama.

We also have Ama Igbo, Ama Awbia, Isu-ama( colonial word) , Amakohia and Ama Awusa in Owerre.

Amadi too is an Igbo word, which means " freeform", "son of the land".

2 Likes

Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Nobody: 4:20pm On Sep 29, 2016
Marcelini:

"ama" is an Igbo word.

It means ground, space, clearing, outside, etc.

We have upto 20 places in Igboland with the name Ezi-ama.

We also have Ama Igbo, Ama Awbia, Isu-ama( colonial word) , Amakohia and Ama Awusa in Owerre.

Amadi too is an Igbo word, which means " freeform", "son of the land".
Thats where you got it wrong
Ijaw 101
Kiri is land
Ama means kingdom or town
Like in Opubo ama there is a group called Amatemeso
Meaning spirit of the town, we use kiri and only kiri for land
Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Eastlink(m): 10:19pm On Sep 29, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

Ijaw 101
Kiri is land
You seem a cool guy. The reason I vented my point in that manner was the way you lot go as far as trying to falsify Ndoki origin to Ijaw. Though the Ibani people speak Igbo, we are still less concerned about them unless you push us to the wall with your Ndoki claim too. Ibani people can be whatever they want, Ijaw or anything, but in the case of Ndoki its a no go area.
So lets talk like matured people.
Ama means similar thing in both Igbo and Ijaw. In Igbo it means a place or the entrance to a compound. In Ijaw as you said a town or kingdom.

3 Likes

Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by bigfrancis21: 3:41am On Sep 30, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

That Ikwerre is currently recognized doesn't mean it cannot be de-recognized if it chooses to fall fully under the Igbo umbrella. With more and more Ikwerre youths coming out of recent to affirm their Igbo identity, de-recognition is not far to seek.
Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by bigfrancis21: 3:43am On Sep 30, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

Ijaw 101
Kiri is land

Ama is an Igbo word which means 'compound' or 'space', commonly spoken in Imo and Abia states. It is possible the Ijaws borrowed the word from Igbo language given the huge number of Igbo settlers in Ijaw land and intermarriage of Igbo women by Ijaws. QED

1 Like

Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Nobody: 3:53am On Sep 30, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Ama is an Igbo word which means 'compound' or 'space', commonly spoken in Imo and Abia states. It is possible the Ijaws borrowed the word from Igbo language given the huge number of Igbo settlers in Ijaw land and intermarriage of Igbo women by Ijaws. QED
The ijaw influence in abia and imo state is strong, but tribalism has blinded your eyes
Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by bigfrancis21: 4:05am On Sep 30, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

The ijaw influence in abia and imo state is strong, but tribalism has blinded your eyes

Bull crap. You have no evidence to prove small and insignificant Ijaws influenced Imo and Abia states. It's all a figment of your imagination.
Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Nobody: 4:35am On Sep 30, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Bull crap. You have no evidence to prove small and insignificant Ijaws influenced Imo and Abia states. It's all a figment of your imagination.
I asked your brother Eastlink why Ndoki ( aminadokiari) answer Ijaw names, he said that those names are igbo, so i refer these questions to u
What do these names mean in Igbo
Epelle
Opusunju
Juwojuwogha
Okoloama
OwuOgbo
Owujie
Alagbariya
Why do imo people perform iria ceremony

Why do the ndoki dress like Ijaws (male and female)
Why do they play akusa drums
And you say there is no ijaw influence,
Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Nobody: 4:38am On Sep 30, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Small and insignificant Ijaws? Lol in what sense, instead of all these vague comments, speak or forever remain silent
Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by bigfrancis21: 4:51am On Sep 30, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

I asked your brother Eastlink why Ndoki ( aminadokiari) answer Ijaw names, he said that those names are igbo, so i refer these questions to u
What do these names mean in Igbo
Epelle
Opusunju
Juwojuwogha
Okoloama
OwuOgbo
Owujie
Alagbariya
Why do imo people perform iria ceremony

Why do the ndoki dress like Ijaws (male and female)
Why do they play akusa drums
And you say there is no ijaw influence,

The answer is simple. The few families in Ndoki who bear those names are probably descendants of Ijaw settlers in Igboland. There is no big deal there. Transmigration happened a lot in the past where people crossed linguistic boundaries and settled in other territories. That settlers settled in Ndoki should not be any different.

The Ohafias, for example, due to their closeness to the Ibibios, dress like the Ibibios, as in tie wrappers and wear hats, have several Ibibio words in their dialect, and it is not uncommon to find some of them answering names like 'bassey', yet they are Igbos. Despite the Ibibio influence on them, they still know their origins and the Ibibio influence has not distorted their identity.

You really need to have a rethink. Ethnic groups living next to each other tend to borrow elements from one another. The presence of borrowed words or items from another group suddenly does not mean one group migrated from the other. I am yet to understand what it is which the odd way Nigerians think. If one tribes borrows a word from the other, then that tribe migrated from the other tribe. Such backward and archaic reasoning. The English language that we speak is a Germanic language and has borrowed hundreds of words from French (during the french colonization of the English people several centuries ago, French became the official language and language of government and court, and several French words were borrowed into English) such as banquet, boulevard, cafe, chic, cliche, commandant etc., from Latin such as villa, alter, abdomen etc, from Spanish such as Siesta (afternoon sleep), etc. yet all these borrowings and influence does not change the fact that the English language is a Germanic dialect and the English people are of ancient Germanic descent. Not just with English, but most languages in the world. Why then should the same occurrence with Igbo and its neighbouring tribes be viewed differently?

If you are hell bent on claiming Ndoki as Ijaw, that is your own figment of imagination. It does not fly beyond this Nairaland forum.

And mind you, the Ndokis are proud Igbos and never claim to be Ijaws. If there is a tribe that influenced the other more, that is Igbo. Bonny, Opobo, Kalabari, Okirika etc. are all Ijaw areas with heavy Igbo influence. Anywhere the Ijaws settle, they are subsumed by the larger tribe. In the South West, the Apois and Arogbo Ijaws are nearly Yoruba in culture and language except for some that speak Apoi and Arogbo. This indicates a lack of cohesiveness in Ijaw culture that leads them to be easily acculturated into any new environment they find themselves in.

1 Like

Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Nobody: 5:09am On Sep 30, 2016
bigfrancis21:

The answer is simple. The few families in Ndoki who bear those names are probably descendants of Ijaw settlers in Igboland. There is no big deal there. Transmigration happened a lot in the past where people crossed linguistic boundaries and settled in other territories. That settlers settled in Ndoki should not be any different.

The Ohafias, for example, due to their closeness to the Ibibios, dress like the Ibibios, as in tie wrappers and wear hats, have several Ibibio words in their dialect, and it is not uncommon to find some of them answering names like 'bassey', yet they are Igbos. Despite the Ibibio influence on them, they still know their origins and the Ibibio influence has not distorted their identity.

You really need to have a rethink. Ethnic groups living next to each other tend to borrow elements from one another. The presence of borrowed words or items from another group suddenly does not mean one group migrated from the other. I am yet to understand what it is which the odd way Nigerians think. If one tribes borrows a word from the other, then that tribe migrated from the other tribe. Such backward and archaic reasoning. The English language that we speak is a Germanic language and has borrowed hundreds of words from French (during the french colonization of the English people several centuries ago, French became the official language and language of government and court, and several French words were borrowed into English) such as banquet, boulevard, cafe, chic, cliche, commandant etc., from Latin such as villa, alter, abdomen etc, from Spanish such as Siesta (afternoon sleep), etc. yet all these borrowings and influence does not change the fact that the English language is a Germanic dialect and the English people are of ancient Germanic descent. Not just with English, but most languages in the world. Why then should the same occurrence with Igbo and its neighbouring tribes be viewed differently?

If you are hell bent on claiming Ndoki as Ijaw, that is your own figment of imagination. It does not fly beyond this Nairaland forum.

And mind you, the Ndokis are proud Igbos and never claim to be Ijaws. If there is a tribe that influenced the other more, that is Igbo. Bonny, Opobo, Kalabari, Okirika etc. are all Ijaw areas with heavy Igbo influence. Anywhere the Ijaws settle, they are subsumed by the larger tribe. In the South West, the Apois and Arogbo Ijaws are nearly Yoruba in culture and language except for some that speak Apoi and Arogbo. This indicates a lack of cohesiveness in Ijaw culture that leads them to be easily acculturated into any new environment they find themselves in.

What you guys don't understand is that i am not trying to claim Ndoki, I am not that jobless, its left for the people who know their hisrory to know their linage. Not all this stupid articles your igbo brothers are writing like Opubo ama, kalabari, okrika and okolo ama to change histort, quote me anywhere there is no "pure" tribe in the whether it be Igbo, hausa or yoruba or the great Ijaw Nation, so stop all this land grabbing articles and propaganda, show me an Igbo area that is without external influences.
Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by bigfrancis21: 5:21am On Sep 30, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

Small and insignificant Ijaws? Lol in what sense, instead of all these vague comments, speak or forever remain silent

Yes of course. I did not mince words when I said that.

These below are many Igbo words used in Ijaw:

Ama (compound)
Agunkwo (Hawk)
Aju (headpad for supporting load on one's head)
Ajuala (viper)
Akidi (type of beans)
Akiri (frog)
Ngaji (spoon)
Mi anga (here) possibly from 'nga' in Owerri Igbo
Akpa (bag, sac)
Mie (Do) similar to Igbo 'mee'
Akaka (side, beside) possibly from 'akuku' in Igbo
Nwaeresi (pigeon)
Odum (lion)
Nkpa (Ant hill)
Ogo (In-law)
Oku (word or message)
Olulu (pit)
Opi (flute)
Otobo (Hippopotamus)
Ofo (staff)
Okpra (first son, from Igbo Okpara)
Onya (snare or trap)
Owu (Goddess, for example Owu Mmili - Water Goddess)
Ogbe (quarters or area, for example Ogbe Ijaw in Delta state meaning Ijaw quarters), and many more yet to be mentioned.

Going by your logic, now please tell me why the Ijaws use these Igbo words?? Maybe the Ijaws originated from Igbos in the 16th century??

2 Likes

Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by bigfrancis21: 5:28am On Sep 30, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

What you guys don't understand is that i am not trying to claim Ndoki, I am not that jobless, its left for the people who know their hisrory to know their linage. Not all this stupid articles your igbo brothers are writing like Opubo ama, kalabari, okrika and okolo ama to change histort, quote me anywhere there is no "pure" tribe in the whether it be Igbo, hausa or yoruba or the great Ijaw Nation, so stop all this land grabbing articles and propaganda, show me an Igbo area that is without external influences.

Nobody ever said Igbo is a pure tribe. We have always acknowledged external influences on border Igbo communities with other tribes. It is no big deal for us. However, it is a big deal for you admitting Igbo influences in Ijaw land and many of you actually hate the fact that you have been influenced by Igbo culture, language and customs. What comes may, Opobo, Bonny, Kalabari and Okirika cannot stop speaking Igbo overnight. Bonny town, at best, can become bilingual in Igbo and Ibani but it is very unlikely that they will expunge Igbo, a language that gives them access to over 30 million speakers, completely. At least, not in the next 100 years.

Also, you came off initially claiming Ndoki as Ijaw with no tangible proof whatsoever other than Ijawnizing the name, which I can easily do for Ibani, Opobo, Amadi Ama etc. and give them Igbo pronunciations and meanings. Now I just dropped a word list of Igbo words used by the Ijaws. Please can you explain this to me and possibly why the Ijaws do not want to face the fact that they are descended from Igbos from linguistic evidence?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is Buhari Left Handed Or Right Handed? I'm Really Confused. Picture / What Would You Miss About United Nigeria? / Pixx Of James Ibori And Pastor Adeboye

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.