Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,157 members, 7,811,327 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:24 AM

The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State (8128 Views)

The NGO Regulatory Bill: Summary & Its Implications On NGOs In Nigeria (Photos) / Check Out The Chinese Nationals That Adopted Igbo Identity In Anambra State / The Lies About Mungo Park Discovery Of River Niger & The Igbo Identity Question (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Nobody: 5:47am On Sep 30, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Nobody ever said Igbo is a pure tribe. We have always acknowledged external influences on border Igbo communities with other tribes. It is no big deal for us. However, it is a big deal for you admitting Igbo influences in Ijaw land and many of you actually hate the fact that you have been influenced by Igbo culture, language and customs. What comes may, Opobo, Bonny, Kalabari and Okirika cannot stop speaking Igbo overnight. Bonny town, at best, can become bilingual in Igbo and Ibani but it is very unlikely that they will expunge Igbo, a language that gives them access to over 30 million speakers, completely. At least, not in the next 100 years.

Also, you came off initially claiming Ndoki as Ijaw with no tangible proof whatsoever other than Ijawnizing the name, which I can easily do for Ibani, Opobo, Amadi Ama etc. and give them Igbo pronunciations and meanings. Now I just dropped a word list of Igbo words used by the Ijaws. Please can you explain this to me and possibly why the Ijaws do not want to face the fact that they are descended from Igbos from linguistic evidence?
Quite false Opobo for 1 is not an igbo word, the problem with Igbos is that they are tribalist and you see speaking another mans language as a problem, I for 1 see it as an advantage,most of ur people are really horrible to live with, they would be hate a place and its people with every atom of their being and yet they would never leave.

1 Like

Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Nobody: 6:30am On Sep 30, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Yes of course. I did not mince words when I said that.

These below are many Igbo words used in Ijaw:

Ama (compound)
Agunkwo (Hawk)
Aju (headpad for supporting load on one's head)
Ajuala (viper)
Akidi (type of beans)
Akiri (frog)
Ngaji (spoon)
Mi anga (here) possibly from 'nga' in Owerri Igbo
Akpa (bag, sac)
Mie (Do) similar to Igbo 'mee'
Akaka (side, beside) possibly from 'akuku' in Igbo
Nwaeresi (pigeon)
Odum (lion)
Nkpa (Ant hill)
Ogo (In-law)
Oku (word or message)
Olulu (pit)
Opi (flute)
Otobo (Hippopotamus)
Ofo (staff)
Okpra (first son, from Igbo Okpara)
Onya (snare or trap)
Owu (Goddess, for example Owu Mmili - Water Goddess)
Ogbe (quarters or area, for example Ogbe Ijaw in Delta state meaning Ijaw quarters), and many more yet to be mentioned.

Going by your logic, now please tell me why the Ijaws use these Igbo words?? Maybe the Ijaws originated from Igbos in the 16th century??
For one otobo is not igbo, most of the words u mentioned just seem similar to you, ama like i told you doesn't mean compound, and owu is an Ijaw word borrowed by Igbos it means a bunch of things masquerade, mermaid in a different pronounciation it means to cry as for akpa it is used by everybody as bag, you cant say a word is igbo if it is not in your central Igbo
Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Nobody: 1:58pm On Sep 30, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

For one otobo is not igbo, most of the words u mentioned just seem similar to you, ama like i told you doesn't mean compound, and owu is an Ijaw word borrowed by Igbos it means a bunch of things masquerade, mermaid in a different pronounciation it means to cry as for akpa it is used by everybody as bag, you cant say a word is igbo if it is not in your central Igbo
Interesting topic. But let me add my own. Owu is an Igbo term now borrowed by the eastern Ijaw communities. Owu is a name of a festival in my part of Imo west. It's a festival of a unique kind of dance, masquerades and other cultural practice that starts as early as May and ends in August. We own this culture (from the plains of Awo-Omamma/Okwudor/Amucha/Amaigbo to Umuaka/Umundugba/Ekwe/Isunjaba/Orodo). Any other Owu, Oghu or Owuogbo practiced in anywhere was borrowed from us including the one the Ibani's now practice.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by bigfrancis21: 2:21pm On Sep 30, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

Quite false Opobo for 1 is not an igbo word, the problem with Igbos is that they are tribalist and you see speaking another mans language as a problem, I for 1 see it as an advantage,most of ur people are really horrible to live with, they would be hate a place and its people with every atom of their being and yet they would never leave.

I am pretty much sure you did not understand my statement before you started wetting your pants here and getting unnecessarily defensive. i never said Opobo is an Igbo word. I said the way you are trying to Ijawnize 'Ndoki' is the same way I could Igbonize 'Opobo' or 'Kalabari' and give it an Igbo meaning. Those are two different things in meaning. Please learn to read and comprehend before responding next time.

Below is my original post for your reading comprehension and you tell me where I ever indicated, remotely or directly, that 'Opobo' is an Igbo word. If for nothing, you are the tribalist one here, reading tribalist meanings into statements that do not indicate such.

bigfrancis21:

Nobody ever said Igbo is a pure tribe. We have always acknowledged external influences on border Igbo communities with other tribes. It is no big deal for us. However, it is a big deal for you admitting Igbo influences in Ijaw land and many of you actually hate the fact that you have been influenced by Igbo culture, language and customs. What comes may, Opobo, Bonny, Kalabari and Okirika cannot stop speaking Igbo overnight. Bonny town, at best, can become bilingual in Igbo and Ibani but it is very unlikely that they will expunge Igbo, a language that gives them access to over 30 million speakers, completely. At least, not in the next 100 years.

Also, you came off initially claiming Ndoki as Ijaw with no tangible proof whatsoever other than Ijawnizing the name, which I can easily do for Ibani, Opobo, Amadi Ama etc. and give them Igbo pronunciations and meanings. Now I just dropped a word list of Igbo words used by the Ijaws. Please can you explain this to me and possibly why the Ijaws do not want to face the fact that they are descended from Igbos from linguistic evidence?

1 Like

Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by bigfrancis21: 2:27pm On Sep 30, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

In central Igbo, utobo/otobo is the word for hippopotamus borrowed by the Ijaws. Owu is also an Igbo word which refers to mermaid, borrowed by the Ijaws. Akpa is a core Igbo word borrowed by the Ijaws from Igbo. The 'kp' double consonant in the word makes it clear where the word comes from, which is almost lacking in Ijaw language. Just because you were born into a time when these words were already being used in Ijaw lingua franca does not take away the fact that they were borrowed or adopted from Igbo decades or centuries before you were born.

Now you only disputed 4 words out of a word list of over 24 words that I gave you, meaning 20 words are undisputedly Igbo. Now please can you tell me why Ijaws speak Igbo words? Maybe they were descended from Igbos, huhhh??

Quit dodging my question and answer me young man.

5 Likes

Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by sirade(m): 2:58pm On Sep 30, 2016
bigfrancis21:

In central Igbo, utobo/otobo is the word for hippopotamus borrowed by the Ijaws. Owu is also an Igbo word which refers to mermaid, borrowed by the Ijaws. Akpa is a core Igbo word borrowed by the Ijaws from Igbo. The 'kp' double consonant in the word makes it clear where the word comes from, which is almost lacking in Ijaw language. Just because you were born into a time when these words were already being used in Ijaw lingua franca does not take away the fact that they were borrowed or adopted from Igbo decades or centuries before you were born.

Now you only disputed 4 words out of a word list of over 24 words that I gave you, meaning 20 words are undisputedly Igbo. Now please can you tell me why Ijaws speak Igbo words? Maybe they were descended from Igbos, huhhh??

thumbs up bro, you are doing a nice job.

4 Likes

Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Nobody: 5:01pm On Sep 30, 2016
bigfrancis21:

You lie too much masquerade in Igbo is (mmanwu), finally hippopotamus is enyi mmiri, a nice igbo woman just confirmed dis for me
Some ijaw words beginning with kp
Kpokpokiri
Kpe
Kpee
Kpoo
Kpoli
Kpuru
Kpangiri
Kpapuru
Kpai
Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by bigfrancis21: 5:48pm On Sep 30, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

You lie too much masquerade in Igbo is (mmanwu), finally hippopotamus is enyi mmiri, a nice igbo woman just confirmed dis for me
Some ijaw words beginning with kp
Kpokpokiri
Kpe
Kpee
Kpoo
Kpoli
Kpuru
Kpangiri
Kpapuru
Kpai

Do you even read at all? Did I ever say 'owu' is masquerade? Please point out where I said masquerade or instead mermaid? All these half-baked 'historians' on nairaland that cannot read and comprehend a simple passage.

Utobo is used in Igboland too, even in Enugu state. Your lack of experience shows you have not crossed the length and breadth of Igboland to know any better. Your limited view of thinking is based on your 'Rivers' experience and Ijaw bigotry.

Now, you are still disputing 4 words, leaving out the remaining 20 and you are dodging to answer my question. Again I ask you, why are Ijaws speaking Igbo words as many as 20 of them? Maybe the Ijaws descended from the Igbos, huhhh?

Reply me with the answer I seek or keep quiet forever if you do not have any answers.

Gosh.

bigfrancis21:

2 Likes

Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Nobody: 6:17pm On Sep 30, 2016
Talentprince:
Am from rivers ikwerre am ibo
nwanne, your fellow igbo man in Ebonyi is greeting you.
Kedu

1 Like

Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Nobody: 6:51pm On Sep 30, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Do you even read at all? Did I ever say 'owu' is masquerade? Please point out where I said masquerade or instead mermaid? All these half-baked 'historians' on nairaland that cannot read and comprehend a simple passage.

Utobo is used in Igboland too, even in Enugu state. Your lack of experience shows you have not crossed the length and breadth of Igboland to know any better. Your limited view of thinking is based on your 'Rivers' experience and Ijaw bigotry.

Now, you are still disputing 4 words, leaving out the remaining 20 and you are dodging to answer my question. Again I ask you, why are Ijaws speaking Igbo words as many as 20 of them? Maybe the Ijaws descended from the Igbos, huhhh?

Reply me with the answer I seek or keep quiet forever if you do not have any answers.

Gosh.

if it isnt in your central igbo (ur accepted lang) you can't say definitely it is igbo
Based on your central Igbo dictionary there is no word for mermaid and owu mmiri will probably mean water masquerade so its clearly a loaned word
Ijaw words borrowed by Igbo(azumini,abriba)
Epelle name(n/b this family actually brought education to igbo land)
Owu masquerade
Ikasi.  Chair
Igbighi money
Otobo hippopotamus
Esem perewinkle
Ogazi type of bird
Kenge crab
Asaawo
Senibo, seniapu
Munumunu- to be smooth
Ngasa side
Ogbo cult, society,club
Fulo soup
Ubani corrupt form of igbani
Jumbo
Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Abagworo(m): 7:18pm On Sep 30, 2016
Typical Igbos and typical Ijaws don't look alike at least in colour. Ijaws share phenotype with some Ghanians while Igbos share phenotype with mostly East Africans like Zambians, Congolese and Ugandans. Rivers State riverine area is obviously a mix of Igbo, Ibibio and Ijaw if we must tell ourselves the truth. Ijaw is even in minority. However the dynamics of ethnicity seems to have favored Ijaw affiliation with little Igbo and almost no Ibibio. Interestingly Abua, Odual, Andoni, Ogbiya in Bayelsa and Abuloma still retained Ibibio-like language and Ikot Abasi is another Opobo.

2 Likes

Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by nonsobaba: 7:24pm On Sep 30, 2016
All these useless back and forth just because some greedy igbos are trying to steal Rivers state land and oil. They cannot properly manage the 5 states they already have, they want to grab another man own. Go to south east, everywhere look odd with red sand, dust, no water and bad roads every corner u turn, yet they are still looking for where to add to their list of failures . Which kain long throat be dis? SMH

1 Like

Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Nobody: 8:31pm On Sep 30, 2016
nonsobaba:
All these useless back and forth just because some greedy igbos are trying to steal Rivers state land and oil. They cannot properly manage the 5 states they already have, they want to grab another man own. Go to south east, everywhere look odd with red sand, dust, no water and bad roads every corner u turn, yet they are still looking for where to add to their list of failures . Which kain long throat be dis? SMH
The post itself is an insult to rivers people.
Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by bigfrancis21: 9:02pm On Sep 30, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

if it isnt in your central igbo (ur accepted lang) you can't say definitely it is igbo
Based on your central Igbo dictionary there is no word for mermaid and owu mmiri will probably mean water masquerade so its clearly a loaned word
Ijaw words borrowed by Igbo(azumini,abriba)
Epelle name(n/b this family actually brought education to igbo land)
Owu masquerade
Ikasi.  Chair
Igbighi money
Otobo hippopotamus
Esem perewinkle
Ogazi type of bird
Kenge crab
Asaawo
Senibo, seniapu
Munumunu- to be smooth
Ngasa side
Ogbo cult, society,club
Fulo soup
Ubani corrupt form of igbani
Jumbo

You listed only 10 actual borrowed Ijaw words, not up to 24 Igbo words used in Ijaw I listed, plus extra if I dig further.

Please take 'owu', 'ogazi', 'utobo' and 'ogbo' off your list. These are pure Igbo words. Hippopotamus is called several names - utobo, akum, enyi mmili in Igbo etc. As a child I often ate 'akwa ogazi', known to be smaller in size than the regular egg size. 'owu' is an Igbo word used both North and South in Igboland. Somebody earlier gave you examples used in Imo state (south), and it is also used in the Anambra area (North). For example, in the intro of Nneka the pretty serpent, the Igbo language movie acted in Onitsha Igbo, you can hear Nneka's mother calling out to the water goddess, 'owu mmili owu mmili'. Finally, Ogbo is an Igbo word, used especially in the Anambra area, and used all over Igboland to mean 'mate', 'age group', etc. You'd often hear Flavour singing 'puta n'ogbo...'. Due to decades of interaction between Igbos and Ijaws, words have been transferred from Igbo to Ijaw and vice versa such that linguistic boundaries have become clear. Most of these words listed, minus the 4 Igbo ones on your list, have been acknowledged to be borrowed in my posts back. If for anything you're the one having the difficulty to accept the heavy Igbo influence on Ijaw. You don't have to accept anyway. It is what it is.

It is clear you don't have an an answer to my question. Well then, quit mentioning me and go get yourself some more knowledge.

3 Likes

Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Nobody: 6:48am On Oct 01, 2016
bigfrancis21:

You listed only 10 actual borrowed Ijaw words, not up to 24 Igbo words used in Ijaw I listed, plus extra if I dig further.

Please take 'owu', 'ogazi', 'utobo' and 'ogbo' off your list. These are pure Igbo words. Hippopotamus is called several names - utobo, akum, enyi mmili in Igbo etc. As a child I often ate 'akwa ogazi', known to be smaller in size than the regular egg size. 'owu' is an Igbo word used both North and South in Igboland. Somebody earlier gave you examples used in Imo state (south), and it is also used in the Anambra area (North). For example, in the intro of Nneka the pretty serpent, the Igbo language movie acted in Onitsha Igbo, you can hear Nneka's mother calling out to the water goddess, 'owu mmili owu mmili'. Finally, Ogbo is an Igbo word, used especially in the Anambra area, and used all over Igboland to mean 'mate', 'age group', etc. You'd often hear Flavour singing 'puta n'ogbo...'. Due to decades of interaction between Igbos and Ijaws, words have been transferred from Igbo to Ijaw and vice versa such that linguistic boundaries have become clear. Most of these words listed, minus the 4 Igbo ones on your list, have been acknowledged to be borrowed in my posts back. If for anything you're the one having the difficulty to accept the heavy Igbo influence on Ijaw. You don't have to accept anyway. It is what it is.

It is clear you don't have an an answer to my question. Well then, quit mentioning me and go get yourself some more knowledge.
All the words i mentioned are borrowed, but no fear I am not going to follow you guys trend of writing all those una tales by moonlight story like"Abriba and the rest are part of Ijaw land" what I was trying to prove to you is that Igbos also borrowed a lot of words but that doesn't change their Identity so why una go wan claim another person because of borrowed words. Stop all these insulting articles and leave Rivers state for Rivers people.
Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by Nobody: 6:49am On Oct 01, 2016
bigfrancis21:

All the words i mentioned are borrowed, but no fear I am not going to follow you guys trend of writing all those una tales by moonlight story like"Abriba and the rest are part of Ijaw land" what I was trying to prove to you is that Igbos also borrowed a lot of words but that doesn't change their Identity so why una go wan claim another person because of borrowed words. Stop all these articles and leave Rivers state for Rivers people.
Re: The End Of Crude Oil And Its Implications for The Igbo Identity In Rivers State by HopeAtHand: 7:10am On Oct 01, 2016
joeprince23:
the truth is that you are dumb. Igbo is a NATION not a TRIbE,there are riverine igbos in anambra(ogbaru anam etc),in rivers, in abia. Abiriba/ohohia people in abia state have same culture and dressing with ibani people of rivers. My point is that RED CAP is not what makes some one igbo,you wont understand this cause you are not igbo or even from rivers... In BORI polytechnique(ogoni hartland), wether you from ikwere,nnewi,ngwa etche etc ogoni people no wan no to them you are igbo

The way you love to lie is baffling.. Ogoni people tell you that Ikwerre is Igbo. Ogoni of all people?? You are irredeemable.

First an Ogoni man in NDDC told you Ikwerre is Igbo, now Ogonis is Ken poly told you the same.

You remember you once claimed your mum is from Okrika while your dad is from Oyigbo. Later your Dad is from Anambra while your mum is from Oyigbo, now your Dad is from Oyigbo and your mum may likely now come from Ogoni. grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Abdulaziz Yari: Governors Toothless To Secure Their States / Anambra Governorship Election: Azuka Okwuosa Hailed By Supporters (Video) / Most Corrupt Politician In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.