Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,176 members, 7,829,215 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:47 PM

Lagos Assembly Summons Contractor Of Itokun-Ikorodu Poorly Constructed Road - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Assembly Summons Contractor Of Itokun-Ikorodu Poorly Constructed Road (12813 Views)

Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid / Photos: Okorocha's Poorly Constructed Road Sends Helpless Man To Early Grave / Buhari Is Making Appointments Without Tinubu's Knowledge- Lagos Assembly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Assembly Summons Contractor Of Itokun-Ikorodu Poorly Constructed Road by Ajibel(m): 9:28am On Sep 29, 2016
wellmax:

I diasgree

Okay, you can lay out why sir
Re: Lagos Assembly Summons Contractor Of Itokun-Ikorodu Poorly Constructed Road by wellmax(m): 9:36am On Sep 29, 2016
Ajibel:

Okay, you can lay out why sir

Modified. Check again please
Re: Lagos Assembly Summons Contractor Of Itokun-Ikorodu Poorly Constructed Road by Ajibel(m): 9:56am On Sep 29, 2016
wellmax:
davodyguy

I disagree. The government is in no rush and some of the roads have been very standard. The problem here is that the Government patronized Local contractors with the goal of encouraging them. However, they have failed woefully. Little wonder we can't trust our own contractors with big jobs.

Okay, on the first part, the government has been focused on two trunks of roads. The inner roads which many believed Fash ignored and then the major roads. For the major roads, the standards of the roads are top-notch, I can attest to that. The problem now is that the Inner roads are of low standard because the contractors, well knowing the Governor wont visit, just do a shabby job.

That's why I blame the government because in a bid to do so much, there is no time for them to inspect every road being done by contractors. They should instead take up road constructions they'll know they can monitor and see that it is done to standard.

It sends a bad signal for the government that a road commissioned few days ago is now so bad.

I get your point doe sir and I agree the contractors are also rip-offs.

The government is encouraging the local contractors which for me is the best thing to do. But they shouldn't also fail in their responsibility to monitor road projects.
Re: Lagos Assembly Summons Contractor Of Itokun-Ikorodu Poorly Constructed Road by wellmax(m): 10:08am On Sep 29, 2016
Ajibel:

Okay, on the first part, the government has been focused on two trunks of roads. The inner roads which many believed Fash ignored and then the major roads. For the major roads, the standards of the roads are top-notch, I can attest to that. The problem now is that the Inner roads are of low standard because the contractors, well knowing the Governor wont visit, just do a shabby job.

That's why I blame the government because in a bid to do so much, there is no time for them to inspect every road being done by contractors. They should instead take up road constructions they'll know they can monitor and see that it is done to standard.

It sends a bad signal for the government that a road commissioned few days ago is now so bad.

I get your point doe sir and I agree the contractors are also rip-offs.

The government is encouraging the local contractors which for me is the best thing to do. But they shouldn't also fail in their responsibility to monitor road projects.
Alright. I agree with your new narrative. Its not because the government is in a rush to make any 'record'. It is the contractor's failure and probably supervision too, because every project must have a supervisory contractor who work hand in hand with the ministry or department concerned.
To enjoy good quality roads, citizens (Contractors, Local Government Officials) and all other stakeholders must ensure that we support governments efforts through quality jobs and right supervision. No cutting corners, no shady jobs.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Assembly Summons Contractor Of Itokun-Ikorodu Poorly Constructed Road by Collinchini(m): 11:03am On Sep 29, 2016
Notice there are no gutters, goverment probably excluded that from the contract hence, water washes off d road
Re: Lagos Assembly Summons Contractor Of Itokun-Ikorodu Poorly Constructed Road by diportivo: 11:41am On Sep 29, 2016
Collinchini:
Notice there are no gutters, goverment probably excluded that from the contract hence, water washes off d road

Bros,gutter dey there...e deep well well sef

What really happened was that,tar was put on it despite rain beating the initial sand filling

The rain didn't make the sand filling take shape,and the contractors,out of rush,just put tar on it

For those of us dat pass there everyday,we saw all these coming.....we knew it wld fail angry

The whole thing shld be scrapped off IMHO...cos it won't last a year

If only the local govt can genuinely complement the works of the state.....if only undecided
Re: Lagos Assembly Summons Contractor Of Itokun-Ikorodu Poorly Constructed Road by eRex(m): 12:45pm On Sep 29, 2016
ooooo,... i see.. this was the exact state of my own road in ikorodu.. infact they even patched the newly constructed road they have been struggling to keep the road intact.... they do even drive their pickup and truck on the road they constructed for the fear that it might damage it more

.. but over night.. they came and scraped off all the old tarr and did a new one.. what a waste of resource... i supposed they have heard they will be penalized.

I know this road in question ... took them monthsssss... to do this rubbish.
Re: Lagos Assembly Summons Contractor Of Itokun-Ikorodu Poorly Constructed Road by omonnakoda: 12:59pm On Sep 29, 2016
striker9:
The power of social media .....this is one reason Government prefers foreigners in handling construction of roads but in the bid to help local ones see how dem construct road like say na village bricklayer do am
What is the solution ? Training and exposure strategy for our young men. Julius Berger have been in Nigeria for 40 years but still bring in engineers that were not born when Julius Berger arrived.Why? There is no skill transfer law or contract to make them do otherwise.We do not think long term in anything and that is why we are still employing foreign coaches in football too.
In the past CivilEngineering contracts over $500 million value to western firm in China had explicit skill transfer clauses including oversea posting arrangements to expose their engineers

1 Like

Re: Lagos Assembly Summons Contractor Of Itokun-Ikorodu Poorly Constructed Road by striker9(m): 1:09pm On Sep 29, 2016
omonnakoda:
What is the solution ? Training and exposure strategy for our young men. Julius Berger have been in Nigeria for 40 years but still bring in engineers that were not born when Julius Berger arrived.Why? There is no skill transfer law or contract to make them do otherwise.We do not think long term in anything and that is why we are still employing foreign coaches in football too.
In the past CivilEngineering contracts over $500 million value to western firm in China had explicit skill transfer clauses including oversea posting arrangements to expose their engineers
You are right sir
Re: Lagos Assembly Summons Contractor Of Itokun-Ikorodu Poorly Constructed Road by ziga: 1:12pm On Sep 29, 2016
ifeanyi83:

Thank you my brother!! You will be surprised that the total contract sum of this project must have been shared into parts, leaving the contractor with very little to execute the project and make profit. Very typical of government projects.

Thank you!!!

With corruption in Nigeria, the masses are the ones who suffer.

We don't seem to appreciate that fact. Dem don share all the money finish.

We go come dey celebrate one yeye road.
Re: Lagos Assembly Summons Contractor Of Itokun-Ikorodu Poorly Constructed Road by akinsdeji(m): 1:16pm On Sep 29, 2016
The issue of area boys,youth thugs,and even elders asking for compensation before contractors can bring in there equipment and materials to site is also something that contribute to substandard of roads. I was able to service one of the contractor handling the inner road around Ikotun when the project started,with my trucks.the first day I had to go with the truck to the site.we had to pay 15k. each to different youth groups, a total of 30k,(tho they were asking for 200k)before we are allow to drop the materials.this guys were holding weapons of different sizes.when I even threatening to take the truck with the materials still inside it back to my location.they told me the trucks is not going anywhere until I pay them or else they will damage those trucks.And also i got to know the contractor pay the elders some amount too and the youth when they brought in their equipment to site. I just wondered if we really want this country to really developed. Cos the level of corruption in the society is alarming.
Re: Lagos Assembly Summons Contractor Of Itokun-Ikorodu Poorly Constructed Road by akinsdeji(m): 1:17pm On Sep 29, 2016
The issue of area boys,youth thugs,and even elders asking for compensation before contractors can bring in there equipment and materials to site is also something that contribute to substandard of roads. I was able to service one of the contractor handling the inner road around Ikotun when the project started,with my trucks.the first day I had to go with the truck to the site.we had to pay 15k. each to different youth groups, a total of 30k,(tho they were asking for 200k)before we are allow to drop the materials.this guys were holding weapons of different sizes.when I even threatening to take the truck with the materials still inside it back to my location.they told me the trucks is not going anywhere until I pay them or else they will damage those trucks.And also i got to know the contractor pay the elders some amount too and the youth when they brought in their equipment to site. I just wondered if we really want this country to really developed. Cos the level of corruption in the society is alarming.
Re: Lagos Assembly Summons Contractor Of Itokun-Ikorodu Poorly Constructed Road by Blue3k(m): 2:00pm On Sep 29, 2016
akinsdeji:

Low iq morons how do they take bribes then cry about bad roads later. These same youth want to talk about running to UK and USA. Why exactly did u let these lowlife thugs bully you anyway. Call the police have them arrested and jailed for good of commuity. BTW if Local government chairmen know this goes on they should have police stationed to keep these idiots at bay.
Re: Lagos Assembly Summons Contractor Of Itokun-Ikorodu Poorly Constructed Road by Princejboy(m): 2:26pm On Sep 29, 2016
how many of u agree interlock is the best?
Re: Lagos Assembly Summons Contractor Of Itokun-Ikorodu Poorly Constructed Road by Princejboy(m): 2:27pm On Sep 29, 2016
how many of u agree interlock is the best

(1) (2) (Reply)

2023: N100m Nomination Form Fee With Minimum Wage At N30k Is ‘Immoral’ – Falana / Adams Oshiomhole Attends Auchi Diocesan Priest's End Of Year Party (Pictures) / Hope Uzodimma Commissions Hospital, Courts In Omuma, Oru East LGA.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.