Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,899 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:36 PM

Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid (21647 Views)

Why I Warned Osinbajo – Buhari / Osinbajo: 'Buhari Poorer Now Compared To 2015' - Nigerians React / Osinbajo: Buhari Will Hand Over To South-West In 2023 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by deji17: 3:04am On Dec 19, 2017
Osinbajo: Buhari and I poorly paid
Posted By: Augustine Ehikioya, On: December 19, 2017

The President’s and the Vice-President’s pay is low, Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo said yesterday.

He criticised the private sector for not respecting the national minimum wage law, which puts the lowest pay at N18,000.

Speaking at the end-of-year seminar of the State House Press Corps at the old Banquet Hall of the Presidential Villa in Abuja, Prof. Osinbajo said he earns about N1.5m as Vice-President; President Buhari earns about N1.75 million.

To him, the pay is not commensurate with the offices they occupy.

The vice president also expressed misgivings about the remuneration of journalists and lawyers, saying journalists’ case is unique because many media owners make big revenue but simply refuse to pay good wages.

He recalled his brief encounters working with media houses as legal adviser and how in all the months he worked he was not paid despite the irregular hours he put in.

Osinbajo spoke of entry into journalism as not rigorously regulated or enforced by professional bodies because untrained persons are allowed in.

He added: ”I realised first of all that this (journalism) is not a profession from which one could make a decent living in the first place unless you find a really good way of doing so.

”But more importantly for me is that you are just on your own. Journalism as a profession is so wide open.

”There are a few reasons in my view why remuneration is poor.

”The first is that it is just simply cheating. There are owners of media that are just cheats. They just want to get something from nothing and that is not uncommon, it is a general malaise, it is not necessarily restricted to the media.

”It is also the same in the legal profession. There many lawyers if they tell you what they earn, you will certainly not want to be a lawyer.

”The private sector does not respect the minimum wage. Even if a minimum wage is set nationally, it is not necessarily respected by the private sector and this is something that should be factored in to the status of a company and whether a company is even complying with the requirements.”

The Vice-President urged journalists to brighten their prospects and future by always seeking ways of improving themselves and getting better job opportunities with attendant improved income.

Nasarawa State Governor Tanko Al-Makura, represented by the Commissioner for Information, Mohammed Kwara, was the chairman of the ceremony.

He said: “It is important to note that a good retirement plan starts the very day you are employed, knowing that whatever has a beginning has an end; 35 or 60 mandatory years of service are certainly not eternity.

”It must also be stressed here that it is not too late to plan even where you have just few years to retire from service.

”The most important thing is that you have a plan either of money saved or of the job you intend to carry on after retirement. Put every other factor in place such as your age, strength and the mental capacity to carry on.” he advised.

He added “It is important to state, therefore, that the uncertainty on payment of entitlements has continued to worry Nigerian workers, making them fear retirement.

”This has led to prospective retirees falsifying their age just to enable them stay put in the service.

”In this regard, a lot of corruption induced activities have continued to infiltrate the MDAs and the organised private sector responsible for managing pension,” he said.

Kwara listed 10 ways to prepare for retirement, including saving, knowing your retirement needs and contributing to an employer’s retirement savings plan.

Others, according to him, are learning about employer’s pension plan, considering basic investment principles, not touching your retirement savings, asking employer to start a plan, think of creative ways to be self sustaining, find out about one’s social security benefits, and asking questions.

The guest lecturer and Chairman of Elumelu Foundation, Tony Elumelu, said retirement should not be synonymous with being tired or giving up as it should be a stepping stone.

He advised working journalists to pursue their purposes with passion, stressing the need to increase capacity in readiness for the next phase

He said: “Entrepreneurship is not a function of age. Set your milestones and work towards accomplishing the milestone.

”Entrepreneurs are resilient; they persevere to succeed. You don’t need to give up easily, it requires sacrifice, discipline.”

Others who presented goodwill messages were Minister of Information Lai Mohammed; Minister of Transportation Rotimi Amaechi and Special Adviser (Media & Publicity) to the President Femi Adesina.

http://thenationonlineng.net/osinbajo-buhari-poorly-paid/

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by ikaboy: 3:22am On Dec 19, 2017
Ok
Re: Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by Annie939(f): 3:41am On Dec 19, 2017
this man should remember his a pastor

110 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by chomchom1(f): 3:55am On Dec 19, 2017
Who is deceiving who? Same salary u people are using for family upkeeping abi? Am only pity people from zoo that wil accept this lair. undecided

20 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by tochyano2: 4:05am On Dec 19, 2017
Re: Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by Ehiscotch(m): 4:14am On Dec 19, 2017
My problem with Journalism and their sensational headlines.
He never complained of his salary but they make it seem like he did.

22 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by Flyingngel(m): 4:54am On Dec 19, 2017
This man,you should have dwell on journalism issue and stop telling us how u and ur master are under paid,because we already knw the truth before it comes out from your mouth.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by agwom(m): 4:55am On Dec 19, 2017
ok
Re: Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by emmie14: 5:44am On Dec 19, 2017
Hear me. No politician is a christian .

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by dingbang(m): 6:40am On Dec 19, 2017
I can't believe this is coming from the vice president.

That means what he is telling the good people of Nigeria that he doesn't love his job and can't work optimally because he is underpaid.

Nigerian leaders have a big case to answer on judgement day. I am not even bothered because the lord has specially written it for them in his bible so let them do all they like when in power.

5 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by seunlayi(m): 6:45am On Dec 19, 2017
Really? Sir, just resign with your boss

6 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by seunlayi(m): 6:47am On Dec 19, 2017
emmie14:
Hear me. No politician is a christian .

Especially here in Nigeria

10 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by uboma(m): 6:56am On Dec 19, 2017
Speaking at the end-of-year seminar of the State House Press Corps at the old Banquet Hall of the Presidential Villa in Abuja, Prof. Osinbajo said he earns about N1.5m as Vice-President; President Buhari earns about N1.75 million.
To him, the pay is not commensurate with the offices they occupy.

I am still dumbfounded that the Vice President, Osibanjo will utter such especially with the level of ruin they have plunged the economy into.....

their pay is not commensurate with the offices they occupy my foot!

13 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by Kekx(m): 6:57am On Dec 19, 2017
Still has the atom of using lies to convince fellows just like some pastors.

4 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by Cornerstone2020(m): 6:58am On Dec 19, 2017
Ingrates everywhere. Yet some people thinks this man is better than other politicians just because he is a professor and pastor.
What baffles me is how convenient it has become for Prof. Osi Abughi Njo to lie why didn't he give us a run down of all relevant and irrelevant allowances paid to them. meanwhile some people can't boast of 1.5m in 3 yrs of dedicated service to same government.

10 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by uboma(m): 6:59am On Dec 19, 2017
Annie939:
this man should remember his a pastor

Vice President Osibanjo sold his soul to the devil the day he started to lie to Nigerians to cover up his principal.

8 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by Lomprico2: 7:32am On Dec 19, 2017
Satan twist that ur mouth!

Fake pastor!

10 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by bloodmoneyspita: 7:39am On Dec 19, 2017
osinbade is a midget,
a short term problem that will expire in 2019.

5 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by Nobody: 8:10am On Dec 19, 2017
joke of the year grin grin

no be our business undecided

this incompetent administration must go..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by Nutase: 8:33am On Dec 19, 2017
Then resign and look for a better paying job. Nonsense.

5 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by Annie939(f): 8:51am On Dec 19, 2017
uboma:

Vice President Osibanjo sold his soul to the devil the day he started to lie to Nigerians to cover up his principal.
no different between him and lie lie Mohammed they should fear God oooooo

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by baralatie(m): 9:15am On Dec 19, 2017
this I believe very much.Nigerian president are poorly paid
Re: Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by tashashiel(f): 9:26am On Dec 19, 2017
Lamentation chapter 419...

I wish I can believe this, but God knws I don't give a f**k about every damn person in Nigerian government
In phyno's voice "Ndi ara"

3 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by dukie25: 10:28am On Dec 19, 2017
Buhari and Osibanjo's feeding allowance alone is equivalent to the entire budget of Burkina Faso.

14 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by Emeskhalifa(m): 10:28am On Dec 19, 2017
Nobody sabi lie, like men of God.
I shake my head

3 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by Dee60: 10:29am On Dec 19, 2017
Nigeria is so blessed with a decent VP.

I hope he can be president in the near future, but I fear that our youths love instant gratification so much that they would rather vote for people who will thief and loot! You can see that from the campaigns of our youths today!

I tire for my people. Voting crooks and looters at every level of government from LG and above since time immemorial, like selling birthright for a pot of beans.
Re: Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by yeyeboi(m): 10:29am On Dec 19, 2017
1.5million naira as salary and billions as upkeep , cutleries and aso rock allowances. shocked shocked

The thunder that will fire all this APC members is already dancing shaku shaku In Front Of Aso Rock angry

7 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by Annnonymous: 10:29am On Dec 19, 2017
If only i can be as poorly paid as them.... embarassed embarassed cry

8 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by mosegifted: 10:29am On Dec 19, 2017
Your papa

1 Like

Re: Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by morereb10: 10:30am On Dec 19, 2017
tell it to mumus wey dey Aso Rock not me.

ndi ara

2 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by Nobody: 10:30am On Dec 19, 2017
Criminals sad

Tell that to sarki and your other foolish fans abi na followers they gon believe you.

3 Likes

Re: Osinbajo: Buhari And I Poorly Paid by Bluecurtain: 10:30am On Dec 19, 2017
These people don't have conscience.

Sir, tell us about your overbloated allowances and kickbacks, not salary.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Breaking!! APC Adopts Gbajabiamila For Speakership Position (Photos) / Umahi Meets Ikpeazu In Abia State (Photos) / Buhari And His Delegates Meet With President Of Korea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.