Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,414 members, 7,830,098 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:08 PM

We Perform Surgeries With Torch Lights - Doctors - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / We Perform Surgeries With Torch Lights - Doctors (5825 Views)

'We Perform Surgeries With Torchlights&Lamps In Univ. Teaching Hospital'-Doctors / Anambra Hospital Performs 5 Open Heart Surgeries (Photo) / We Perform Surgeries With Torch - Nigerian Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Perform Surgeries With Torch Lights - Doctors by joaoche(f): 4:26am On Oct 16, 2009
have mercy lord

our leaders are useless

god have mercy
Re: We Perform Surgeries With Torch Lights - Doctors by BIKINI(f): 8:56am On Oct 16, 2009
@ riendeer u av a perogative 2 hold any opinion u choose, I dont particularly care. Tirade or not, all i know is dat the doctors 2 have a share in d rot of dat sector as thier atitude ,professionally speaking is no longer wat nigerians used 2 know dem 4. It's a sensitive job & their negligence or oversight cost LIVES not ntin replaceable. If u entered d profession 4 d money & u observe d cash aint 4thcomin quit so u dont start venting ur frustrations on innocent patients.
Re: We Perform Surgeries With Torch Lights - Doctors by slimes(m): 11:15am On Oct 16, 2009
What a deplorable way to handle health?.
Re: We Perform Surgeries With Torch Lights - Doctors by saydfact(m): 11:39am On Oct 16, 2009
slimes:

wow, a talking laboratory retard. congratulations, you now have a cumulative I.Q. of 2,

now i c wat kind of a doctor u are, the type dat gives excuses 4 is mistake, rather than apologize, that leaves ur I.Q at nothing, lipsrsealed kiss lipsrsealed , no be yab, na true yan.
Re: We Perform Surgeries With Torch Lights - Doctors by yamaha(m): 12:39pm On Oct 16, 2009
we should be grateful to God that we have torch light to use, before na candle we dey use. lol
Re: We Perform Surgeries With Torch Lights - Doctors by Oluschenco(m): 1:02pm On Oct 16, 2009
Whether you perform operation with a torch or not, just try to save lives
Re: We Perform Surgeries With Torch Lights - Doctors by Dave6: 1:10pm On Oct 16, 2009
Dont mind them, they will never ask for light to be provided, when next you hear they are on strike, it will be to demand for higher pay only . . what a selfish bunch.

Guy, why haven't you asked for light to be provided 24hrs by the Nig. gov't in your home?
Re: We Perform Surgeries With Torch Lights - Doctors by Radiant(f): 1:59pm On Oct 16, 2009
Oluschenco:

Whether you perform operation with a torch or not, just try to save lives

What d'u know about operating on a human body?
Re: We Perform Surgeries With Torch Lights - Doctors by sleak(m): 2:29pm On Oct 16, 2009
operating with the aid torchlights/rechargable lamps,candles n all by doctors especially in public service is very common.no thanks to the antics of PHCN.
some individuals av expressed varying degrees of emotion from despair to disbelief.others av placed the blame right at the feet of doctors-r they right?maybe.maybe the doctor shouldnt attend to dat patient dat needs a procedure done if there is no appropriate lightening or while in the middle of one,n power fails,we could just as well fail the patient.stop n tell d family that we had to stop cos there is no power.they should understand-shouldnt they?
operating with torchlights is just a tip of d decadence dat has plagued the health care delievery system of this country.
some of these stuff might b a little hard to comprehend,however a visit to d nearest public health facility could offer a better insight into the conditions in which doctors n our lovely nurses operate.
Re: We Perform Surgeries With Torch Lights - Doctors by BIKINI(f): 2:39pm On Oct 16, 2009
as 4 @ladeeh09 & his likes, i'd rather be treated by a warm hearted rascal who appreciates d sacrosanct nature of human life than one who sees me as a mere increase in death statistics targeted 2 prove a point to govt that his sector is suffering a dearth .
Re: We Perform Surgeries With Torch Lights - Doctors by Dclique(m): 5:03pm On Oct 16, 2009
WTF!!
This is madness. I have heard of this before but i thought it was just a rumor.
Re: We Perform Surgeries With Torch Lights - Doctors by Utaroz(m): 6:03pm On Oct 16, 2009
toideve:

exaggeration undecided

Yeah, how I wish it were. Sadly enough, the situation is worse than what is stated. Healthcare issues in naija have reached emergency proportions. The doctors are not the issue and it's pointless blaming them as some of us are doing. The government policy on health care is yawning for attention.
Re: We Perform Surgeries With Torch Lights - Doctors by reindeer: 11:03pm On Oct 16, 2009
@ Bikini
no hard feelings ok?but you sound like someone who's been hurt by a doctor sometimes past.You jumped away from the topic of discussion into that unfortunate statement you made.anyways you are right, when theres a problem in any sector, all stakeholders should share responsibility for the rot, but as we know if the framework and the amenitites are put in place it makes it easier to spot the bad eggs, but when power supply is at its poorest, you really cant blame the doctors or nurses for operating with rechargeable lamps which i believe is the topic of discussion.
Its bad really, ive been there so i know first hand,if you have had a relative rushed into a teaching hospital needing emergency surgery, im sure you wont mind even if they gather fireflies to get illumination, you'd just want your patient to be ok, come to think of it, im sure you'll blame the doctors more if they sit on their butts and allow the patient die because the govt has refused to be responsible.
When all is said and done, i'm so sad for the Nigerian health sector, a sector that boasts of the best brains in different professions dragged down into this cesspit of ineptitude because of some greedy politicians, may God judge them all!
So Biki, can i call you that? I'm hoping you'll join me in expressing collective indignation at the politicians who have reduced nigerians to prehistoric living.
Re: We Perform Surgeries With Torch Lights - Doctors by whiteroses(f): 11:40pm On Oct 16, 2009
how did the doctor conffess to this and dint die of embarassement na lie jor
Re: We Perform Surgeries With Torch Lights - Doctors by johnson11(m): 1:53am On Oct 17, 2009
I am disappointed in this our dear nation, are we moving forward or backward? no wonder Yaradua run to Germany and Saudi always, he must be aware of the poor health sector we have, Hurray long live Nigeria,long like President Turai Yaradua and long live 7 point agenda grin grin grin grin

Re: We Perform Surgeries With Torch Lights - Doctors by MyJoe: 1:34pm On Oct 17, 2009
reindeer:

@ Bikini
no hard feelings ok?but you sound like someone who's been hurt by a doctor sometimes past.You jumped away from the topic of discussion into that unfortunate statement you made.anyways you are right, when theres a problem in any sector, all stakeholders should share responsibility for the rot, but as we know if the framework and the amenitites are put in place it makes it easier to spot the bad eggs, but when power supply is at its poorest, you really cant blame the doctors or nurses for operating with rechargeable lamps which i believe is the topic of discussion.
Its bad really, ive been there so i know first hand,if you have had a relative rushed into a teaching hospital needing emergency surgery, im sure you wont mind even if they gather fireflies to get illumination, you'd just want your patient to be ok, come to think of it, im sure you'll blame the doctors more if they sit on their butts and allow the patient die because the govt has refused to be responsible.
When all is said and done, i'm so sad for the Nigerian health sector, a sector that boasts of the best brains in different professions dragged down into this cesspit of ineptitude because of some greedy politicians, may God judge them all!
So Biki, can i call you that? I'm hoping you'll join me in expressing collective indignation at the politicians who have reduced nigerians to prehistoric living.

Right. There are doctors who fail to comprehend the very nature of their calling and show disregard for human life. But they must be seen as "bad eggs" and the problem not attributed to the medical profession or allowed to derail us from the issues of kleptocracy and official irresponsibility.
Re: We Perform Surgeries With Torch Lights - Doctors by ikennahill: 10:22am On Oct 18, 2009
that is naija for you,is it not wonderful.We blame government and the same NMA.

What happens when instead of getting the real equipment they get junks and the CMDs,MDs,certify them okay.The people at the helm of affair in health of this country are members of NMA,ie medical doctors,at times all board members are medical doctors with just one or two non health professionals,this board buy instrument ,'give' cash for fuel etc and many times this money for diesel,fuel end in somebody pocket.

we all know that nepa is a big cancer on our foot but health care here is in shamble because of mainly health politics and corruption.There is no hospital without generator and money allocated to them,but most times the cash end in some CMDs,MD,pocket.

1 Like

Re: We Perform Surgeries With Torch Lights - Doctors by proproman(m): 12:24pm On Oct 18, 2009
@bikini, am sure you won't allow a street rascal, no matter how warm hearted, treat you when you are ill. You seem to have serious beef against the doctors. Not every doctor is as nasty as you make it out. I have been to several federal hospitals and am yet to find a really foul tempered doctor like you've painted. It's usually the nurses that play that role. Seriously, you ought to give kudos to those doctors that, given the conditions the work in, wake up every morning and go to the hospital to attend to patients. Maybe you should take a day of and go to any of the federal health care institutions around you. You will find out that most times, you'll have a situation where ten doctors have to attend to about a thousand patients, that's 1 to 100. I tell you it's disheartening when you finish attending to one patient, you know there are about sixty others waiting outside. Most patients want the doctor to spend lots of time with them but you can only get such a luxury in private hospitals, if you can afford it. The doctor would like to attend to all his patients so he can have some time to himself. You can't blame him for getting frustrated. If you were in their shoes, you would also be frustrated no matter how cool and level headed you are. I can bet you that. There is so much pressure, so little equipment, really terrible environment and not enough time. Consider all these and you'll know why some doctors do get angry especially if you criticize their profession because the doctor name is the only thing that gives them pride. Apart from that, there's nothing much else for them to be proud of. You have to give them credit for trying. If after reviewing all these you still think they deserve all the aspersions you are casting, well there are many rascals out there that can give you treatment when you are ill. Am sure they will give you a discount.
Re: We Perform Surgeries With Torch Lights - Doctors by nas00(m): 1:40pm On Oct 18, 2009
^^^ Tell 'em proproman
BIKINI:

as 4 @ladeeh09 & his likes,  i'd rather be treated by a warm hearted rascal who appreciates d sacrosanct nature of human life than one who sees me as a mere increase in death statistics targeted 2 prove a point to govt that his sector is suffering a dearth .

It's hard trying to explain, yet unfortunate Bikini has got this all wrong. May God (The One who knows), judge u based on dat erroneous belief of urs (Amen). Maybe then, u'll see better what nigerian doctors are passing through. (cos I don't understand why ppl are so quick to pass judgement on ppl or issues they know li'l about)  sad sad

@Topic: Very true.
, and surgeon 'n his team would be sweating like goats while operating. Could be worse than torture at Alagbon.
Things like this only happen in nigeria. It is NOT ACCEPTABLE anywhere in the world that an operating theatre be without power supply, filtered air conditioning  and basic life support equipment amongst others. Unfortunately, this is what we see.  sad sad

Yet, some nigerians think docs are not doing enuff. Maybe those nigerians should come and show us how to do things for few weeks.
I'm sure the facts will speak for themselves.   wink wink

God save nigeria!
Re: We Perform Surgeries With Torch Lights - Doctors by BIKINI(f): 6:14am On Oct 19, 2009
am not surprised @ the manner pro reindeer & laheeh09 have promptly risen up to the defence . Abt 2mths ago ur excuses of stress and work pressure would av made sense 2 me to an extent but not anymore.
 I still cant understand how one takes out his work pressure on d same pple that keep u in business: ur patients. I also observe that this cholericl streak of theirs exhibits itself only wen they are in govt owned hospitals . When u go 2 their privately owned hospital where they are always wont to  refer u to, they suddenly& automatically can manage stress well.
Too bad if my opinion rubs off on u all d wrong way, but i insist there is a great need for re-orientation amongst medical personnels.  Ur patients are the main reason u exist try not 2 take out ur anger 2wards a decadent system on them. it's mainly ur colleagues, not other professionals  @ the helms of affairs that mismanage ur allocations not the common man ,  that throngs ur office daily. Say no 2 wrong diagnosis,aloofness 2 ur patients, bottleneck bureacracy when lives are @ stake, money-over-life atitude , & above all highandedness {esp 4 those govt owned hosp}. A life is still a life irrespective of  the ownership of the facility. That profession has fragilty as a distinct quality, stop eroding the agelong trust it. Thank God some still even deem it fit 2 go the extra mile 2 use torchlight, or even use d glow of bottled fireflies -a la reindeer.
 Beef or no beef, the atitude of naija health personnel not just infrastructure needs serious overhauling- a complete turnaround.

1 Like

Re: We Perform Surgeries With Torch Lights - Doctors by reindeer: 10:15pm On Oct 19, 2009
Its not just facts my dear
its words from someone who has been there, in the trenches of lifesaving in Nigeria.
Tell me one profession in Nigeria that does not need a complete re-orientation, im sure none.
I once worked at a terribly busy hospital in lagos island,Nigeria, and the stress of 5 doctors attending to 300 patients daily could really rub off on the patients the wrong way.
This definitely is no excuse for poor service but i does contribute and doctors arent blameless, No.And as many doctors that realise this keep trying to improve themselves.The choleric streak will show itself in govt hospitals cos thats where they are seeing an impossible number of patients.average 60/day in the example i gave above, that never happens in a private hospital.
but come to think of it, what happened to you 2 months ago?
Its also unfortunate that many Nigerians don't realize they can report erring doctors to the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria, the body has a standing disciplinary committee which i know is quite thorough and forthright.If you think any doctor has breached trust, or involved in malpractice, inform them.Unfortunately most people will just sit and whine about doctors rather than take this step which will save other people from poor service.
But wait people, the same doctors that render such 'poor' services back home give stellar performances here, this should provoke some thought.
Re: We Perform Surgeries With Torch Lights - Doctors by Sabado(m): 3:46am On Oct 20, 2009
Wai remanding the surgion wey operated Stella in Spain (prison). Nigeria no get correct facillities wei i go use to perform this things. We NIGERIANS Don SCATERR SCATERR!
Re: We Perform Surgeries With Torch Lights - Doctors by Sabado(m): 3:52am On Oct 20, 2009
Just imagine A 7-point agenda without HEALTH. No wonder, our president is not wealthy! Long life MR. President. Longer live NIGERIA!
Re: We Perform Surgeries With Torch Lights - Doctors by allycat: 11:48pm On Oct 20, 2009
The Nigerian doctor is first and foremost a Nigerian before he became a doctor. So I dont see why people expect hospitals in Nigeria to be run like hospitals in UK or America. PHCN whahala affects all.NEPA or PHCN does not give hospitals (even government hospitals) any preferential treatment. Generators in hospitals are no different from generators at home or in our offices,they run on fuel and breakdown sometimes. So if you sometimes need candles and torch lights to see at home or in the office, expect that the same will also occur in hospitals.
Re: We Perform Surgeries With Torch Lights - Doctors by Nobody: 2:53am On Oct 21, 2009
Hmmm. . . I can't even imagine what happens to the patients after surgery. . .
Re: We Perform Surgeries With Torch Lights - Doctors by obitrac: 10:36am On Feb 12, 2013
Kratos007:

young man, you must either be a stark illiterate or a consumate ass. if you have nothing better to say about doctors in nigeria, i suggest you go chew on some gum or crawl back into whatever hole you came from. what light to be provided? by whom? do you know what it takes to become a doctor? do you have any idea of the stress involved, the intense reading, obscene hours of work and the killing schedules doctors have to keep? come to think of it, why dont you take a trip one night to a casualty room, an accident and emergency unit or a labour ward and see what medical doctors and nurses go through. do you know how difficult it is to break the news to a deceased patient's loved ones? it is an open secret that hospitals in nigeria are grossly underfunded and understaffed. nigerian doctors working in the country do so under the most abhorrent of conditions with inadequate financial rewards, so if they want to agitate for more pay, it is well within their right. do not come here and talk rubbish on matters you know little or nothing about boy, and yes, i AM a doctor.
Bros are u sure u are a doctor,this ur temper fit kill ur patient oh
Re: We Perform Surgeries With Torch Lights - Doctors by ibietela2(m): 12:15pm On Feb 12, 2013
Chai na wa o....
Re: We Perform Surgeries With Torch Lights - Doctors by Prettychyna(f): 8:55pm On Feb 12, 2013
proproman: @bikini, am sure you won't allow a street rascal, no matter how warm hearted, treat you when you are ill. You seem to have serious beef against the doctors. Not every doctor is as nasty as you make it out. I have been to several federal hospitals and am yet to find a really foul tempered doctor like you've painted. It's usually the nurses that play that role. Seriously, you ought to give kudos to those doctors that, given the conditions the work in, wake up every morning and go to the hospital to attend to patients. Maybe you should take a day of and go to any of the federal health care institutions around you. You will find out that most times, you'll have a situation where ten doctors have to attend to about a thousand patients, that's 1 to 100. I tell you it's disheartening when you finish attending to one patient, you know there are about sixty others waiting outside. Most patients want the doctor to spend lots of time with them but you can only get such a luxury in private hospitals, if you can afford it. The doctor would like to attend to all his patients so he can have some time to himself. You can't blame him for getting frustrated. If you were in their shoes, you would also be frustrated no matter how cool and level headed you are. I can bet you that. There is so much pressure, so little equipment, really terrible environment and not enough time. Consider all these and you'll know why some doctors do get angry especially if you criticize their profession because the doctor name is the only thing that gives them pride. Apart from that, there's nothing much else for them to be proud of. You have to give them credit for trying. If after reviewing all these you still think they deserve all the aspersions you are casting, well there are many rascals out there that can give you treatment when you are ill. Am sure they will give you a discount.
Re: We Perform Surgeries With Torch Lights - Doctors by Prettychyna(f): 8:56pm On Feb 12, 2013
proproman: @bikini, am sure you won't allow a street rascal, no matter how warm hearted, treat you when you are ill. You seem to have serious beef against the doctors. Not every doctor is as nasty as you make it out. I have been to several federal hospitals and am yet to find a really foul tempered doctor like you've painted. It's usually the nurses that play that role. Seriously, you ought to give kudos to those doctors that, given the conditions the work in, wake up every morning and go to the hospital to attend to patients. Maybe you should take a day of and go to any of the federal health care institutions around you. You will find out that most times, you'll have a situation where ten doctors have to attend to about a thousand patients, that's 1 to 100. I tell you it's disheartening when you finish attending to one patient, you know there are about sixty others waiting outside. Most patients want the doctor to spend lots of time with them but you can only get such a luxury in private hospitals, if you can afford it. The doctor would like to attend to all his patients so he can have some time to himself. You can't blame him for getting frustrated. If you were in their shoes, you would also be frustrated no matter how cool and level headed you are. I can bet you that. There is so much pressure, so little equipment, really terrible environment and not enough time. Consider all these and you'll know why some doctors do get angry especially if you criticize their profession because the doctor name is the only thing that gives them pride. Apart from that, there's nothing much else for them to be proud of. You have to give them credit for trying. If after reviewing all these you still think they deserve all the aspersions you are casting, well there are many rascals out there that can give you treatment when you are ill. Am sure they will give you a discount.
what do you mean by its usually the nurses that play that role?ii can see that you are a fool. Instead of facing the issue at hand, you are busy pointing accusing finger at another person.mtcheeEwww

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do You Need A Massage In Jos? / Certified Nursing Assistant Training In Abuja / FELONY CHARGES: Court Acquits Four Hospital Staff (Press Statement Attached)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.