Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,394 members, 7,850,403 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 08:35 PM

My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) - Agriculture (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) (192619 Views)

Organic Poultry Management For Beginners.. / Let's Discuss Organic Poultry Farming / Organic Poultry Growth Supplement That Works Like Magic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by stevejireh01: 9:18am On Nov 13, 2016
jfkenny:
My broilers are eating well but no longer weighs as they used to. Their feathers are falling off as well, is it moulting? They are 8 weeks +, is their anything I can do or just keep feeding them and hoping for the best. Some have brown poos as well is their any organic means to arrest the situation am tired of drugs and gradually falling for organic..
The brown poo you have there is Cocci, someone once recommended using bitter leave to treat it organically and it worked for the person, more so u may need to also reduce there space to avoid too much roaming n they need to stay often in one place to help conserve the energy.
have you also try to weigh them at all?

1 Like

Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by chrisj2(m): 9:24am On Nov 13, 2016
Turks:
You people need to understand that Noilers aren't as hardy as you think. During the first 8weeks of their lives, they're highly susceptible to cocci. I mean HIGHLY!!. Once they go past that stage, they'd be fine..

Speaking from series of experiences smiley.

You seem to have a different experience to kayo80 who now wants to go into producing thousands of Noilers. Your experience is however valid in that those venturing into Noilers should be aware of the pitfalls. I did say hardier (according to those that know) and you can see it in the way they look more like free range birds.

If 'Cocci' is the one major issue to overcome then they are still hardier than Broilers - right? wink
Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by Turks: 9:52am On Nov 13, 2016
Cocci and the NCD. Other than that, they should be fine.
chrisj2:

You seem to have a different experience to kayo80 who now wants to go into producing thousands of Noilers. Your experience is however valid in that those venturing into Noilers should be aware of the pitfalls. I did say hardier (according to those that know) and you can see it in the way they look more like free range birds.

If 'Cocci' is the one major issue to overcome then they are still hardier than Broilers - right? wink
Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by olaide68(m): 10:00am On Nov 13, 2016

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by jfkenny(m): 10:19am On Nov 13, 2016
Turks:
Cocci and the NCD. Other than that, they should be fine.
Sir turks, what's NCD..
Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by Turks: 10:22am On Nov 13, 2016
New Castle Disease sir.
jfkenny:

Sir turks, what's NCD..

1 Like

Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by jfkenny(m): 10:26am On Nov 13, 2016
stevejireh01:
The brown poo you have there is Cocci, someone once recommended using bitter leave to treat it organically and it worked for the person, more so u may need to also reduce there space to avoid too much roaming n they need to stay often in one place to help conserve the energy.
have you also try to weigh them at all?
I ve not weighed them as I don't have weight measure for now. Doubts the space is the culprit, am suspecting water I. E dehydration which has been taken care of. Should I put 81birds in a room of 12*12..let me use bitter leaf and enough water for five days and hope for the best...

1 Like

Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by jfkenny(m): 10:27am On Nov 13, 2016
Turks:
New Castle Disease sir.
K, but either lasota or gumboro takes care of it..
Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by jfkenny(m): 10:33am On Nov 13, 2016
chrisj2:

Please bros, I am all for going organic - I salute people that are trying; yourself and organicfoods.

To be honest, I like your birds and I do not see much to worry about: they look really healthy to me and the fact that you have managed to sell some to market people before maturity should tell you that you are doing something right. I think being new in the business is what is giving you anxiety - you are successful already!

It could just be the breed of chicken; some mature and gain ultimate weight a little bit later than others - sometimes the amount of feed will not be that significant because they get to that weight when they are due, not by force.

* But can you understand that Noilers will be better if you want to go organic (less drugs and more movement)? Noilers are hardy (hardier) breeds to start with so they will need less drugs/supplements.
Thanks for the complement, good that u want to go organic as well, saying no to costly drugs that are even harmful to human health. Days of withdrawal of drugs are never adhered to by farmers, I ve seen someone give drugs to sick birds in d market before selling to a consumer.
Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by Turks: 10:48am On Nov 13, 2016
J, La Sota might take care if it but what of the lost weight? They'll never meet up with the rest of the flock in terms of weight and growth as the affected ones will remain retarded in growth.
jfkenny:

K, but either lasota or gumboro takes care of it..

1 Like

Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by chrisj2(m): 10:52am On Nov 13, 2016
jfkenny:

I ve not weighed them as I don't have weight measure for now. Doubts the space is the culprit, am suspecting water I. E dehydration which has been taken care of. Should I put 81birds in a room of 12*12..let me use bitter leaf and enough water for five days and hope for the best...

Turks is experienced and yes I think you can have 81 birds in 12*12 - easy:

They are broilers and their only purpose in life is to fatten up and get to the market on time - that is the life of the Broiler breeds; not fair but we humans consume a lot of meat.

See the way Oyinbos rear Broilers below: (note they are rarely if ever sold as Live birds, slaughtered, eviscerated, package and chilled or frozen... And they are heavily drugged and pumped with high protein feed and supplements.[b][/b]

2 Likes

Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by jfkenny(m): 12:12pm On Nov 13, 2016
Nawaooo
Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by organicfoods(m): 2:31pm On Nov 13, 2016
This guy weights 1739g, I going to slaughter and see what is in side, check the carcas weight and evaluate progress so far.

7 Likes

Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by chrisj2(m): 2:49pm On Nov 13, 2016
organicfoods:
This guy weights 1739g, I going to slaughter and see what is in side, check the carcas weight and evaluate progress so far.

Why do you want to find out what is in the carcass? You mean you look forward to enjoying the fruit of your labour... grin grin ; tongue

For the age, the size is impressive!

1 Like

Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by seguno2: 2:54pm On Nov 13, 2016
organicfoods:

I so much admire and appreciate the scientifically systematic way you are going about this with measurements and records each and every step of the way.
Keep it up, bro.
Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by Nobody: 2:55pm On Nov 13, 2016
Turks:
You people need to understand that Noilers aren't as hardy as you think. During the first 8weeks of their lives, they're highly susceptible to cocci. I mean HIGHLY!!. Once they go past that stage, they'd be fine..

Speaking from series of experiences smiley.

I have not had any case of any disease with my 17 day noilers anywhere. I gave them keproceyrl (anti-cocci) the first five days and give them bitter leaf twice a week now.

I will be going organic for the remaining weeks.

3 Likes

Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by Turks: 5:06pm On Nov 13, 2016
That's good to know. Like I said, they're highly susceptible to cocci. I didn't say it's a must they contract the disease. All the best.
EMMAACHILE:

I have not had any case of any disease with my 17 day noilers anywhere. I gave them keproceyrl (anti-cocci) the first five days and give them bitter leaf twice a week now.

I will be going organic for the remaining weeks.

2 Likes

Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by organicfoods(m): 5:07pm On Nov 13, 2016
chrisj2:

Why do you want to find out what is in the carcass? You mean you look forward to enjoying the fruit of your labour... grin grin ; tongue

For the age, the size is impressive!
lol hahahahaha....Me self wan wack this thing ooo.

3 Likes

Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by organicfoods(m): 5:26pm On Nov 13, 2016
Meanwhile this was their weights after 6 weeks. This was done yesterday before the slaughtering today

1 Like

Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by organicfoods(m): 5:28pm On Nov 13, 2016
seguno2:

I so much admire and appreciate the scientifically systematic way you are going about this with measurements and records each and every step of the way.
Keep it up, bro.
I am humbled, thanks bro.

1 Like

Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by kayo80(m): 5:35pm On Nov 13, 2016
chrisj2:

You can never compare Broilers to Noilers when it comes to disease resistance and life expectancy. Noilers are way stronger. Yea, they do have cocci...but they don't die. And if you keep their living environment clean, dry, and you space them well, you don't have to overload them with drugs.

Let me tell you guys one story. When I got my first set of Noilers, I put them in a box and I mistakenly put a big lantern on one of them. I went out clubbing that night. And when I came back home around 5 am, I wanted to put more kerosene in the lantern, and I saw that there was actually a chick underneath it all the while. I am talking of like 6-7 hours...no food, no water, little air, and the chick didn't die. It just shook itself, and joined the others. That was when I knew this breed was for me.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by organicfoods(m): 5:48pm On Nov 13, 2016
Preparation continues!

2 Likes

Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by organicfoods(m): 5:52pm On Nov 13, 2016
Weight of the parts

1 Like

Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by organicfoods(m): 5:55pm On Nov 13, 2016
Here we go.

1 Like

Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by organicfoods(m): 5:57pm On Nov 13, 2016
Good parts

2 Likes

Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by organicfoods(m): 5:58pm On Nov 13, 2016
A bowl of chicken!

6 Likes

Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by Nobody: 6:06pm On Nov 13, 2016
organicfoods:
A bowl of chicken!

Boss, nothing do you.

It has been educative following you on this thread so far, learnt a lot and hope to implement it in future. As for the fried chicken...you for drop address na lipsrsealed embarassed

7 Likes

Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by organicfoods(m): 6:13pm On Nov 13, 2016
skarlett:

Boss, nothing do you.

It has been educative following you on this thread so far, learnt a lot and hope to implement it in future. As for the fried chicken...you for drop address na lipsrsealed embarassed
Hahahaha....Christmas came too early!

3 Likes

Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by chrisj2(m): 6:23pm On Nov 13, 2016
Is this a Biology class or something else shocked - funny! It is also like an autopsy - weighing the vital organs and looking into the gizzard and all that...

You are indeed being scientific about your experience but this is good advertisement for you - it would be if you were selling online or supplying to good supermarkets.

There are programmes like this in the UK -trying to connect people to where their food comes from. Organic food items are more expensive and desirable to more and more people that can afford them and those that are fed up of the chemically induced food...

I really like your style - even the cooking is not deep fried as most nja people like to cook chicken. kiss

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by kayo80(m): 6:40pm On Nov 13, 2016
organicfoods:
A bowl of chicken!

Chai! You just made me hungry. It is hard to believe that just 6 weeks ago, that chicken was just a little chick. Mankind has really gone far.

2 Likes

Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by Juliana7: 7:03pm On Nov 13, 2016
@organicfoods, thanks for this awesome and priceless info. When are we gonna start layers and fish organic thread? Thanks

1 Like

Re: My Organic Poultry Project (broilers) by Nobody: 7:52pm On Nov 13, 2016
organicfoods:
Hahahaha....Christmas came too early!

Seriously o, enjoy jare

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (39) (Reply)

30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farming: My Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.