Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,258 members, 7,957,630 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 04:14 PM

While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities (6080 Views)

Why Are We Allowing Foreigners To Tell Us Our Universities Are Bad? / What Courses Do You Think Should Be Added To Our Universities / Wealthy Nigerians Please Renovate Our Universities Toilets/bathrooms. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by elvision1(m): 10:01pm On Oct 01, 2016
"For if the foundation be destroyed what can the righteous do?"

The bible is not just a religious book, you would realise this when you read it with the mind of a buddhist.
Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by DeKen: 10:18pm On Oct 01, 2016
Lots of problems in our education systems. Including schools not making adequate use of technology to reduce efforts applied in achieving goals. For instance if a Nursery,Primary or Secondary school could use an automated school management system like Prisec School Manager they would reduce so much burden on their staff so that they can have more time to focus/give more attention to their primary duty which is to attend to the students. But you see staff in most schools spending more time on administrative paperwork and less time on their students.

Check my signature for more information on Prisec School Manager.
Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by FreeSpirited: 10:24pm On Oct 01, 2016
My only regret so far in life is graduating from a Nigerian university. I won't stop here , till I harness all my potential.
Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by PROWESX(m): 10:36pm On Oct 01, 2016
true talk bro
Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by babyfaceafrica: 11:05pm On Oct 01, 2016
Schwartz:
op are you aware of the difference in cost involved in studying in a school the USA vs Nigeria? Do you know how much money each student has to pay for education in the USA? Multiply that by the number of students in that University and then you arrive at the reason why the infrastructure is different and ofcourse the quality of education also. Nigerian unis are the way they are mostly because of poor funding and low school fees.
no mind OP....education is expensive o...na peanuts we dey pay here

1 Like

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by kingofthejungle(m): 12:38am On Oct 02, 2016
Schwartz:
op are you aware of the difference in cost involved in studying in a school the USA vs Nigeria? Do you know how much money each student has to pay for education in the USA? Multiply that by the number of students in that University and then you arrive at the reason why the infrastructure is different and ofcourse the quality of education also. Nigerian unis are the way they are mostly because of poor funding and low school fees.
we have visonless leaders why cover up for them

1 Like

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by Bonaventura(m): 1:21am On Oct 02, 2016
mukhcech:

I read the user you quoted and concluded that he had missed the whole point of the post but to my utter surprise, your replied above acknowledging and even consolidating on the point of the user's post made me wonder. Perhaps, you are also a product of the failed Nigerian education system.

I am sorry to have presumed that the central idea of your post was about the lack of intellectual stimulation and innovation and the moral decadence that the Nigerian academic environment present to it's attendants. Having lecture theaters with toilet for moderators or having functioning sound system is the least of the Nigerian university problem. Because, let us reason, These amenities are being installed and renovated as time goes on. Buh the challenge of using correctly and managing this infrastructures in a university setting leaves nothing to be desired.

E.g No light is on some walk ways in unilorin!! why? Because times without number student who undergoing their degree program remove them due to various reasons known to them.
Perhaps I am a product of such. Making reference to a functional toilet and sound system is just to buttress the fact that the infrastructures in even the first generation universities are not enough. Inadequate infrastructure remains an aspect of the bane of the Nigerian educational system and this cannot be dismissed by a wave of hand. My post not only addressed the moral decay and 'unacademic' practices but the infrastructural decay as well.
As for students destroying the little existent infrastructure, I think that is the rather least problem our universities face. It is less worrisome than the authorities looting the money meant for these infrastructures or the government not providing for them at all.
Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by ilelabayor: 1:43am On Oct 02, 2016
ok, after these sympathetic write up, the OP didn't conclude and that part is where we as Nigerians are always getting it wrong. there are millions of this kind of thought being talked about daily by Nigerians either on social media or other physical platforms but we always fail to design workable strategies in which we can address and arrest the situation once and for all. I believe that majority of us on nairaland are youth, and most of us that have commented or read this topic are youths, we ought to know that this country belong to us the more not those old haggard thieves politicians that have failed to surrender or retired from keeping this country in perpetual hardship,we should be talking about way forward as our future lies in our hands, we need to act NOW this is our country not america, not Europe we must stay here and safe this great country and secure our future and that of our children.

we have seen how some youth challenge their leader and even demand their resignation from public offices in Tunisia, libya, egypt, Europe and western countries. we need to act and not just complaining, enduring and having unrealistic hopes. God bless Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by Nobody: 2:19am On Oct 02, 2016
all our rulers do in Nigeria in talk and talk and no action. I feel the whole world is leaving Nigeria behind, we are stagnant. We are really in a dire situation

1 Like

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by Schwartz: 3:14am On Oct 02, 2016
kingofthejungle:
we have visonless leaders why cover up for them
Mr man sit down and think..in the UK for example the tuition for the lowest paying university is around 9,000 pounds. Now multiply that by 500 naira per pound you get 4,500,000. That is, one student paying 4.5 Million naira per year o, just for school fees. Now you are complaining or the infrastructure plus quality of education in Nigeria. You want your school to be the same quality as that of the USA and UK. Fine, but if you're asked to pay just 10% of what is paid over there won't you carry placards and start to protest?
Fine in few countries the government invests a fortune into the educational sector. The figures they invest is mind blowing but bear in mind that Nigeria does not have that kind of money.
You are only getting what you pay for because quality education is freaking expensive.

3 Likes

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by Impulse80(m): 6:13am On Oct 02, 2016
Schwartz:

Mr man sit down and think..in the UK for example the tuition for the lowest paying university is around 9,000 pounds. Now multiply that by 500 naira per pound you get 4,500,000. That is, one student paying 4.5 Million naira per year o, just for school fees. Now you are complaining or the infrastructure plus quality of education in Nigeria. You want your school to be the same quality as that of the USA and UK. Fine, but if you're asked to pay just 10% of what is paid over there won't you carry placards and start to protest?
Fine in few countries the government invests a fortune into the educational sector. The figures they invest is mind blowing but bear in mind that Nigeria does not have that kind of money.
You are only getting what you pay for because quality education is freaking expensive.

It is you who must sit down. What we are lamenting is the state of structures in our schools and our lackadaisical attitude.
The money the government shells out for most of these projects is more than enough but what happens? Have you been to the universities in South Africa? Benin Republic?
If you know anything about Economics you'd know that you can't be comparing the fees we pay here to what they pay there.
Now using your lopsided analogy do you know that the minimum wage in the US is about 15 USD/hr? Multiply that amount by 10 hours and convert it to naira and tell me if it's not more than five hundred thousand naira! Meanwhile the minimum wage in Nigeria is 18k and some governors were trying to reduce it.

2 Likes

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by kingofthejungle(m): 7:16am On Oct 02, 2016
Schwartz:

our government are vision less frees aside

1 Like

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by Schwartz: 7:20am On Oct 02, 2016
Impulse80:

It is you who must sit down. What we are lamenting is the state of structures in our schools and our lackadaisical attitude.
The money the government shells out for most of these projects is more than enough but what happens? Have you been to the universities in South Africa? Benin Republic?
some governors were trying to reduce it.
I have schooled in Nigeria and Abroad. And I am telling you that Nigerian education and infrastructure cannot be at par with others abroad because the cost is cheap. An adage says soup wey sweet Na money kill am. You are paying for what you get. Google the tuition of the top 10 universities in the world and tell me their fees. Also go and check fees paid in south Africa and compare that to the peanuts you pay as fees in Nigeria.

And I hope I am not talking to one of this Nairaland underage kids angry.I hope I am making a man see reason

1 Like

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by Impulse80(m): 8:19am On Oct 02, 2016
Schwartz:

I have schooled in Nigeria and Abroad. And I am telling you that Nigerian education and infrastructure cannot be at par with others abroad because the cost is cheap. An adage says soup wey sweet Na money kill am. You are paying for what you get. Google the tuition of the top 10 universities in the world and tell me their fees. Also go and check fees paid in south Africa and compare that to the peanuts you pay as fees in Nigeria.

And I hope I am not talking to one of this Nairaland underage kids angry.I hope I am making a man see reason
Dude I myself schooled in a federal university too. You are missing the point, it's not the fees that is our problem ,it's mismanagement and embezzlement of funds. Nigeria operates a mixed economy and our federal institutions are partly funded by the government. There are tuition free universities in European countries such as Norway, Sweden and Germany yet the institutions are standard.

The problem with our schools is the problem with Nigeria - corruption has eaten deep into our society. That aside, you can't compare our school fees here with that of these countries because our per capita income and GDP isn't the same.
What I'm saying is that we can do better with our resources minus corruption. So it is not a matter of cost but management.

7 Likes

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by timawoku(m): 8:32am On Oct 02, 2016
Ghost01:
I remember back then in 2008 when Mimiko was contesting to become the governor of Ondo State for the first time. While passing by, he stopped in front of our school (AAUA) gate to sell himself as a viable candidate. I can still remember that some of us in the crowd then were more concerned about what he had to drop than what he had to say. Now imagine what would've happened if the major contestants then were to have a debate in the school's multipurpose hall. The same students who are supposed to listen and think and ask questions will be the ones that will ensure that they scream and squeak to each words emanating from their favourite candidate's mouth - betraying the purpose of the debate in the process. Our leaders deserve all the blame apportioned to them but we, ourselves, are not entirely blameless. Salaam!
I just got myself a tablet and I find it difficult to type but on seeing your comment i had to manage and give you a reply. We are our greatest problems, even on nairaland alone you would encounter so called graduates with blunt petrified minds, who are we fooling? Debates cannot work in our universities for now but we can surely set a good foundation of great universities for our children, it starts with you and me. God bless!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by Ghost01(m): 9:24am On Oct 02, 2016
Schwartz:
Poor funding, yes! But Nigerian schools do not need to spend as much as their counterparts in the USA to offer the best of education; the cost of living here in Nigeria is far lower. Besides the funding concern are issues such as the attitude of the staff (especially academic staff), the value system in the schools themselves, the recruitment process, the incentives system, etc.
Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by babyfaceafrica: 9:37am On Oct 02, 2016
Ghost01:
Poor funding, yes! But Nigerian schools do not need to spend as much as their counterparts in the USA to offer the best of education; the cost of living here in Nigeria is far lower. Besides the funding concern are issues such as the attitude of the staff (especially academic staff), the value system in the schools themselves, the recruitment process, the incentives system, etc.
we need to spend more sef!!!....what are you saying....students pay 6,000 naira for a bed space and yoou want comfortpay 20k for school fees and you want the best,it aint gonna happen!!.....ask those who school in ghana and SA and check how much is they collect to the peanuts here.Yes our leaders are useless and visionless,even the youths are brainless.....but education in Nigeria is fvcking cheap.....you aint gonna get top quality with that amount in the 21st century

1 Like

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by babyfaceafrica: 9:39am On Oct 02, 2016
Schwartz:

gbam!!!
Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by Ghost01(m): 9:47am On Oct 02, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
we need to spend more sef!!!....what are you saying....students pay 6,000 naira for a bed space and yoou want comfortpay 20k for school fees and you want the best,it aint gonna happen!!.....ask those who school in ghana and SA and check how much is they collect to the peanuts here.Yes our leaders are useless and visionless,even the youths are brainless.....but education in Nigeria is fvcking cheap.....you aint gonna get top quality with that amount in the 21st century
I did say we are faced with the problem of poor funding. We do need to spend more on education but it doesn't end there. At the end of the day, the funds raised will be under some people's care - the management. Going by what currently obtains in our country, you'd agree with me that more funds, rather than aid development, often mean more avenues for mismanagement and embezzlement. And this is one of the issues that Impulse80 has been raising. Poor funding is A problem, and not THE problem.
Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by babyfaceafrica: 10:05am On Oct 02, 2016
Ghost01:
I did say we are faced with the problem of poor funding. We do need to spend more on education but it doesn't end there. At the end of the day, the funds raised will be under some people's care - the management. Going by what currently obtains in our country, you'd agree with me that more funds, rather than aid development, often mean more avenues for mismanagement and embezzlement. And this is one of the issues that Impulse80 has been raising. Poor funding is A problem, and not THE problem.
I agree. But the OP never blamed the students or low fees..all he keeps hammmering on is the system....he forgot that we are all the Government....we all have our blame!!!

2 Likes

Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by LordXaaan: 12:20pm On Oct 02, 2016
Hahaha. Who trump and clinton epp sef?
Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by herald9: 12:42pm On Oct 02, 2016
You couldn't have captured the pictures any murkier.
A lot have been said about this issue, yet no change.

Every government comes and goes with its own promises, and the cycle continues.

It's now left for us to go up there and implement the change we really want.
Nobody is listening anymore, as they are not in the system.
Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by d33types: 12:58pm On Oct 02, 2016
Bonaventura
POI and Obaseki did a kind of debate in Benson Idahosa university.
Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by lereinter(m): 1:46pm On Oct 02, 2016
asitis752:
There are many lecture theatres that can be used for such event. Hav u visited university of ibadan international conference centre? I know there are many of that in the country

is u.i conference center a lecture hall..

di students take lectures there

dont forget u.i is premier university notable in nigeria.

the univrrsity where the dabate was had was notmir, or harvard orstanford and it still got a so good lecture hall
Re: While Trump And Hillary Debated I Wept For Our Universities by musicwriter(m): 3:39pm On Oct 02, 2016
Bonaventura:
The first round of debates between the presidential hopefuls of the United States has come and gone. For months now people have been divided over their support for the ebullient Donald Trump and the wily Hillary Clinton. In the wee hours of the 27th of September, people were glued to their television sets to catch a glimpse of the debate, and they were with expectations.
In the course of the debate a lot of things caught many people's interest. For a friend who captioned the debate a battle between Protectionism (Trump) and Universalism (Clinton), the one thing that caught his attention was the foreign policy plan of the candidates.
However, while I watched as fundamental issues that concern America and the globe were being trashed out by the hopefuls for the POTUS, something rather subliminal, perhaps negligible stole my attention. It was not the blatant lies and denials but Yankeecentric arguments of Trump nor was it the idealistic and plans (no plans) of Clinton. What struck my attention and made me weep was that the debate took place at the Hofstra University in New York (not even in one of the Ivy League Universities). Yes, a university!
It pierced my soul and got me wondering if Buhari and Jonathan could have debated at any of the lecture halls at the mini campus of the University of Abuja or the University of Maiduguri or anyone at that. Or if Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu and Godwin Obaseki could have debated at any of the lecture halls or auditoriums at the Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma. The answer is No! They could not have done that. Why? It is because we do not have universities in Nigeria. What we have rather are dilapidated buildings where youths go to, spend some years in subhuman environments and get a piece of paper called certificate.
The University in every part of the globe mirrors the society. Being the citadel of knowledge and the crucible for churning out innovations, ideas and solutions to hydra headed societal problems, a look at the universities in a state shows the level of progress and development of such state. Universities in Nigeria are nothing but the reflection of the decadence, the decay and the filth that the Nigerian state embodies. And our politicians know this.
What baffles me most is that each year, in a charade called convocation, bogus honorary degrees are dished out to these politicians by the universities. And I ask: During those events, are the politicians conducted round the dilapidated and ramshackle lecture halls? Are they given a night accommodation at the hostels and halls of residence that look like Nazi styled concentration camps? Are they taken to the libraries or what look like libraries? Are they aware that some of the professors sitting and other lecturers sitting with them in their larger than life academic gowns either sleeps with students or extort money from them for marks? Are they told that none of the universities in Nigeria is among the first 1000 in the world?
As I sit in this rickety carbon filled Danfo bus in this Lagos traffic ruminating on the direction the Nigerian ship is sailing to before it runs aground I can't help but to believe that our politicians purposely stagnate our educational system so as to relentlessly and perpetually keep us poor and lacking. I cannot help but wonder if our graduates went to school or were educated.

That's how Britain programed Africans and their leaders to think, and that is done by the same education.

When the new world order was being planned, Winston Churchil said ''the rich nations must rule the world and they're to be assisted by rich people in poor countries''.

This's why once an African get a good dose of the so called education, he will also become de-Africanized and indeed will help white people to colonize Africa.

Our universities are in comatose because our leaders are investing heavily in foreign universities just as they were programed to do. That's why our's collapses at home.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do You Know The Meaning Of These Words? / The 10 Weirdest Schools In The World / ‘1.6m Candidates Will Write UTME This Year’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.