Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,637 members, 7,813,107 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:11 AM

Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust (11743 Views)

When Every Flight In Florida Is Grounded (Photo) / A Nairalander Celebrates Independence Day At Olumo Rock / Old Pictures Of Lagos (even B4 Independence) You Probably Have Not Seen - Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust by mmb(m): 6:09am On Oct 04, 2016
At least 50 airlines which operated in Nigeria from independence day on October 1, 1960 have gone into extinction, checks by the Daily Trust have shown.

While most of the airlines were owned by Nigerians, others were jointly owned with partners from countries in Africa and Europe. Few of the airlines lasted for more than one year in operation.
Some of the airlines brought aircraft but never conveyed passengers before they went under.
Nigerian Airways Limited (NAL), established in 1958, two years before independence, was the mother of all the defunct airlines.
The NAL was liquidated in 2004 by former president Olusegun Obasanjo.

Following the liquidation of the national carrier, many Nigerian airlines were established but did not see the light of the day.
The defunct airlines included Flash Airline; Hold Trade Airline; Gas Air; Jambo Express; Chachangi; IRS Airlines, Savannah Airline, Albarka Airline; Intercontinental Airline; Air Mid-West; and HAK Air.
Others were EAS Airline; Nicon Airways; Virgin Nigeria Airline; Air Nigeria; Falcon Air; Sosoliso Airline; Zenith Airline; Barnas Airline; Space World International Airline; Dasab Airline; Fresh Airline; Trias Airline; Bell-View; Freedom Airline; Okada Air; Concord Airline (owned by the late Chief MKO Abiola); Associated Airline and Air Taraba (serving Taraba, Bornu and Adamawa states).

The list also included United Air Service; Aras Airline Ltd; Nigeria Global; Nigeria Eagle (which commissioned an aircraft but didn’t fly and had to take the aircraft back); Harco Airline; Premier Airline; Al Bashir; Trans-Sahara Airline; ADC; Oriental Airline; Axiom Airline; Forward Air; Flok Air; Das Air and Cargo.

Recent developments in the aviation industry have raised concerns about the strength of the airlines with the Aero Contractors, the oldest airline after Nigeria Airways, suspending its operation.
An industry expert told our correspondent that the possibility of Aero bouncing back and returning to full operations was slim.

At the moment only eight Nigerian airlines were operating, namely, Arik Air; Med-View Airlines; Air Peace; Azman; First Nation and Dana Air, Max Air and Kabo Air.
An aviation expert, Capt. Ibrahim Yinusa, blamed the high mortality rate of the Nigerian airlines on factors including ignorance on the part of the owners/investors, unfavourable government policies/appointment of non-aviators as ministers, poor management of income by owners and individual ego.

He said: “Most of the investors in aviation are cajoled into it. They are ignorant. They don’t know running an airline is capital intensive. Again, some use the airline as a front. They must have looted the government treasury and invested it into aviation, using fronts that are not aviators.”
Also speaking, Mr Chris Aligbe, said: “Their (operators) models were not right. They used wrong models and some of those who entered the airline industry early were not professionals. They were pure business people and they also used the airlines not directly as airlines, they used them for other purposes.

“What I think and sincerely recommend that government should declare the airline industry an infant industry because, in spite of 32 years of its existence.”

He recalled that the industry was deregulated in 1985/86 by the Ibrahim Babangida-led administration, saying that since then, up to 32 airlines have collapsed.
“The major one, the Nigeria Airways, government liquidated it by itself, unfortunately,” he said.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/business/over-50-airlines-grounded-since-independence/165058.html

Re: Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust by mmb(m): 6:57am On Oct 04, 2016
Re: Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust by looseweight: 8:21am On Oct 04, 2016
Wonderful
Re: Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust by fotadmowmend(m): 8:21am On Oct 04, 2016
How dis one go affect rice price for market??

1 Like

Re: Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust by montoya67: 8:21am On Oct 04, 2016
undecided undecided

Re: Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust by Nobody: 8:22am On Oct 04, 2016
cool
Re: Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust by SamuelAnyawu(m): 8:23am On Oct 04, 2016
We've never Had it this bad

But Zombies/e-warriors will always defend thier Principal...

10 Likes

Re: Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust by Beehshorp(m): 8:23am On Oct 04, 2016
The only thing wey don last for Nigeria na "gala" no matter the president, economic situation, gala is always available..

14 Likes

Re: Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust by Nobody: 8:24am On Oct 04, 2016
shocked shocked shocked

4 Likes

Re: Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust by Nobody: 8:24am On Oct 04, 2016
He said: “Most of the investors in aviation are cajoled into it. They are ignorant. They don’t know running an airline is capital intensive. Again, some use the airline as a front. They must have looted the government treasury and invested it into aviation, using fronts that are not aviators.”
This is the chief reasons for their grounding, this anti-corruption campaign is going to show businesses formed with ill-gotten capitals

Why is Skye Bank now having problems and had to be supported with 100b naira by the CBN? It's simply because most of their important customers are being tormented by the EFCC.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust by LabiaDestroyerr(m): 8:24am On Oct 04, 2016
Arrant nonsense...
We are nigeriaaaaa eeeeeeehhhhhhhhh citizen now
Government can help my solution now...Government can do empowerment of us ..they can help my solution like me am a barbing...if government empower me ..give me shop..give me clipper give me everything... I will work...and there will not be a thief....
Lmaoooooooooo.... mehn.....

7 Likes

SamuelAnyawu:

Re: Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust by seunny4lif(m): 8:24am On Oct 04, 2016
Hmmmmm
Re: Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust by Jimiolay(f): 8:25am On Oct 04, 2016
Hi good grin
Re: Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust by Brendaniel: 8:25am On Oct 04, 2016
ZuzuMan:
....... cool
SamuelAnyawu:
Sard:
Sai Baba grin
The wind of change has reached every sector of this country. Weep not Nigerians; you asked for the change and now you've it.

macaranta:
Welcome to change

Do you guys read at all? Sometimes I feel the problem of Nigeria isn't just the leaders but the followers, when I say Nigeria I mean including those claiming to be biafrans......

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust by nicemajor(m): 8:26am On Oct 04, 2016
Just observing..... yet u still see different airlines coming up... I strongly believe it's an update
Re: Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust by Nateben(m): 8:26am On Oct 04, 2016
Ok

6 Likes

Re: Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust by Nobody: 8:27am On Oct 04, 2016
cool
Re: Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust by Kaybee14(m): 8:28am On Oct 04, 2016
It is well.
Re: Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust by Bashirfuntua(m): 8:28am On Oct 04, 2016
I'm APC but 2019 ok
Re: Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust by LOSKYXANDER: 8:28am On Oct 04, 2016
Me dreaming of becoming a pilot, where will I work kwanu
Re: Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust by ajealadick(m): 8:28am On Oct 04, 2016
So its not the first time an airline went in recession
Re: Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust by Opistorincos(m): 8:33am On Oct 04, 2016
angry
Re: Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust by Nobody: 8:34am On Oct 04, 2016
SamuelAnyawu:

....... cool

2 Likes

Re: Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust by Seun4FastLoans(f): 8:37am On Oct 04, 2016
Okay
Re: Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust by seangy4konji: 8:38am On Oct 04, 2016
It is in the bible and Quoran that when the world is about to end

Unimaginable things will begin to happen...

We are all seeing it now...

ps..Money weh Patience steal alone can revive our national airline.
Re: Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust by ourkobo: 8:38am On Oct 04, 2016
buhari

6 Likes

Re: Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust by Thisis2raw(m): 8:41am On Oct 04, 2016
Nothing is built to last in Nigeria
Re: Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust by Sard(m): 8:41am On Oct 04, 2016
Sai Baba grin

The wind of change has reached every sector of this country. Weep not Nigerians; you asked for the change and now you've it.

1 Like

Re: Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust by macaranta(m): 8:43am On Oct 04, 2016
Welcome to change

1 Like

Re: Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust by olaskul(m): 8:45am On Oct 04, 2016
Man must not live by Rice alone. Idiot must everything affect price of Rice,Garri,etc
fotadmowmend:
How dis one go affect rice price for market??

1 Like

Re: Over 50 Airlines Grounded Since Independence-Daily Trust by frisky2good(m): 8:51am On Oct 04, 2016
This is a free forum where everyone can voice their opinion (no matter how ridiculous it may be to you). Learn to be tolerant

olaskul:
Man must not live by Rice alone. Idiot must everything affect price of Rice,Garri,etc

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

This Amazing Circular Village In Denmark Looks Like Alien Civilization(Photos) / Agbado/Opeilu Road: Community Women Do Remedial Work, Collect Toll (Ogun State) / AIB Probes Turkish Airlines’ Incident At Port Harcourt Airport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.