Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,827 members, 7,862,722 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 02:05 AM

Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard (12456 Views)

Any 4g LTE Smartphone I Can Get For 30k? / How To Check If Your Phone Supports Virtual Reality Headset / Ntel 4g Simcard- What Kind Of Modem Would It Work With? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard by dustmalik: 10:40pm On Oct 05, 2016
If you aren't sure if your device supports band 28/700mhz, send 4G to 400 using a glo sim.

1 Like

Re: Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard by dollarprincess(f): 11:32pm On Oct 05, 2016
ddjay:

anty,if i subscribe for the 4g service on my 3g phone will it work
no because ur phone doesn't support 4g network the subscriptions are made for only 4g
Re: Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard by Osyxcel(m): 1:18am On Oct 06, 2016
eraly:

ok, let me explain.

Dat a phone is 4G enabled does not mean its gonna work on all network or with all sims. all these 4G network providers av frequency/bands dia 4G can work on. so the best tin to do is to do a little google search abt d frequency/bands a particular phone supports.

Glo 4G is BAND 28 (700MHz)

MTN 4G is BAND 20 (800MHz) and BAND 7 (2600MHz)

NTEL 4G s BAND 8 (900MHz) and BAND 3 (1800MHz)

and so on.

Thanks for that screenshot. That means I can use all apart from Smile which is on Band 20 (I don't care sef)

I searched for 4G networks in Ojodu, Lagos 2 days ago and I saw MTN 4G and one unnamed network like that (something like 62***)

My phone supports Band 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 28, 38, 39, 40, 41.
Re: Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard by dustmalik: 1:53am On Oct 06, 2016
Osyxcel:

Thanks for that screenshot. That means I can use all apart from Smile which is on Band 20 (I don't care sef)

I searched for 4G networks in Ojodu, Lagos 2 days ago and I saw MTN 4G and one unnamed network like that (something like 62***)

What phone are you using?
Re: Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard by Osyxcel(m): 1:58am On Oct 06, 2016
dustmalik:

What phone are you using?

UMI Iron Pro
Re: Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard by dustmalik: 3:37am On Oct 06, 2016
Osyxcel:

UMI Iron Pro
Cool
Re: Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard by timbros(m): 7:05am On Oct 06, 2016
dustmalik:

No, it won't.

Too bad
Re: Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard by timbros(m): 7:09am On Oct 06, 2016
I am thinking this is a deliberate strategy by Glo. To use a very scarce band so that their extremely cheap 4G plans can't be used.

Meanwhile they will have it on record that they have rolled out 4G LTE service in the country.

2 Likes

Re: Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard by rman: 7:51am On Oct 06, 2016
GLO just rushed their LTE , they are not really ready. What NTel did is called refirming of the 900 and 1800mhz band to roll out LTE.

The only opertaor with LTE on mobile with true LTE coverage is MTN. They are the only one that bidded for the 2600 band that u will find on most mobiles. MTN LTE bands is 800 and 2600 bands and they have more than 1000 sites already.

If u really want to use LTE without hassles, better use MTN.

4 Likes

Re: Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard by Nobody: 8:52am On Oct 06, 2016
dollarprincess:

Glo lovers, Globacom just punches the
clock with their own 4G LTE network
like a dream in the night.
Unfortunately, the Glo 4G network is
only available in a few cities at this
moment, but they are planning to
extend it to other Cities soon. At this
moment, it available in 9 major cities.
The cities are;
Lagos, Abuja, PHC, Jos, Yola, Zaria,
Benin, Warri and Eket. Other states are
coming soon.
Dial *777# and select 4G LTE coverage,
to check if the Glo 4G is live in your
city
Now you’ll appreciate the value of huge
data for lesser price. You will still be
able to enjoy Glo's cheap and
affordable data bundles as all their
plans works with the 4G LTE network.
See the list of the new Glo data plans
that will be suitable for LTE users
1. 1.6GB for N500 valid for 10days
2. 3.2GB for N1,000 valid for 30days
3. 7.5GB for N2,000 valid for 30days
4. 10GB for N2,500 valid for 30days
5. 12GB for N3,000 valid for 30days
6. 18GB for N4,000 valid for 30days
7. 24GB for N5,000 valid for 30days
8. 48GB for N8,000 valid for 30days
9. 2GB + 2.5GB on Campus + N2,000
airtime + 500Mb data to gift for
N2,000 valid for 30days
10. 5GB + 6.25GB on Campus + N5000
airtime + 1.25GB for N5,000 valid for
30days
www.getontopc.com/2016/10/glo-unveils-4g-lte-network-in-nigeria.html?m=1
I hv been using Glo N500 for 1.6GB even before they introduced 4G LTE ..

note:My phone doesn't support 4G or dont have 4G

I bought the data plan last month which will expire on 8 of October.
Re: Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard by deor03(m): 9:19am On Oct 06, 2016
Osyxcel:

If it's 62140, then it's ntel

1 Like

Re: Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard by deor03(m): 9:28am On Oct 06, 2016
rman:
GLO just rushed their LTE , they are not really ready. What NTel did is called refirming of the 900 and 1800mhz band to roll out LTE.

The only opertaor with LTE on mobile with true LTE coverage is MTN. They are the only one that bidded for the 2600 band that u will find on most mobiles. MTN LTE bands is 800 and 2600 bands and they have more than 1000 sites already.

If u really want to use LTE without hassles, better use MTN.

Hmmm.....this is not accurate

ntel did not refarm , they deployed 4G technology on their allocated freq spectrum.

Any operator can deploy any technology on their freq spectrum. MTN Had bought the Visafone 800Mhz spectrum to deploy LTE but for NCC interventions, that is why they rushed to deploy on the 2600Mhz band

2600Mhz spectrum that MTN deployed is not good for indoor coverage, because of poor wall penetration of high frequency bands. So essentially all the Operators SMILE, Spectranet, GLO , ntel and MTN are all INDEED 4G LTE.

The only difference is the band, on which it is deployed on.

If you want us to discuss the advantages of each band, then we can discuss further

4 Likes

Re: Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard by Fancy26: 9:41am On Oct 06, 2016
this is definitely not true. for the record, i will say that glo az always given data at the cheapest rate and they wont stop doing that. the prices of the 4g lte shows that all dey aim is convenience. alll hail glo the grandmaster of data.
timbros:
I am thinking this is a deliberate strategy by Glo. To use a very scarce band so that their extremely cheap 4G plans can't be used.

Meanwhile they will have it on record that they have rolled out 4G LTE service in the country.

1 Like

Re: Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard by Fancy26: 9:42am On Oct 06, 2016
this is so true. am enjoying glo 4g lte on my fon ooooo
deor03:

ntel did not refarm , they deployed 4G technology on their allocated freq spectrum.

Any operator can deploy any technology on their freq spectrum. MTN Had bought the Visafone 800Mhz spectrum to deploy LTE but for NCC interventions, that is why they rushed to deploy on the 2600Mhz band

2600Mhz spectrum that MTN deployed is not good for indoor coverage, because of poor wall penetration of high frequency bands. So essentially all the Operators SMILE, Spectranet, GLO , ntel and MTN are all INDEED 4G LTE.

If you want us to discuss the advantages of each band, then we can discuss further
Re: Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard by aliyubaka: 9:57am On Oct 06, 2016
PLEASE DO NOT SUBSCRIBE TO GLO 4G. I WENT TO ABUJA OFFICE, I WAS FORCED TO PAY TWO THOUSAND NAIRALAND. THERE IS NO 4G ANYWHERE. THIS IS A SCAM.
Re: Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard by rman: 10:41am On Oct 06, 2016
deor03:

what frequencies did NTel use? u know 1800 and 900 bands are general gsm frequency bands
Re: Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard by Osyxcel(m): 11:20am On Oct 06, 2016
deor03:

If it's 62140, then it's ntel

Oh I see, thank you.
Re: Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard by honsule(m): 11:26am On Oct 06, 2016
Ehitunez:
why did they not say so... so when are the gonna bring out other bandd

lol cheesy cheesy he will being out the other band soon. funny dude grin grin grin
Re: Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard by honsule(m): 11:35am On Oct 06, 2016
aliyubaka:
PLEASE DO NOT SUBSCRIBE TO GLO 4G. I WENT TO ABUJA OFFICE, I WAS FORCED TO PAY TWO THOUSAND NAIRALAND. THERE IS NO 4G ANYWHERE. THIS IS A SCAM.

what type of phone are u using? moreover, your statement "'THERE IS NO 4G ANYWHERE"---Fallacy of hasty generalization or conclusion. have u travelled the length and breadth of Abuja to have come to this conclusion? grin
Re: Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard by souljaboi51(m): 12:09pm On Oct 06, 2016
Ehitunez:
I'm really disappointed, imagine I went to buy a 4g simcard when I got home (after 2hours) i Inserted the simcard in my phone (hot s) hoping to be amazed by the high speed internet I then switched the network to 4g immediately but there was no network at all..

I have been waiting for like 2hours now for the useless 4g network but its still not showing anything.

only to come online and find out that my device dosent support the 4g band the network uses

Note: I modified to post thanks

how much did you buy the sim?
Re: Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard by TruthHurts1(m): 12:18pm On Oct 06, 2016
Ehitunez:
wow thanks!! meaning Mtn 4g will work on my infinix hot s

If you have an MTN USIM, simply consult this FAQ page on MTN's website. They've got all the info on MTN 4g.

http://mtnonline.com/4G/faq

1 Like

Re: Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard by eraly(m): 2:32pm On Oct 06, 2016
make una post more pictures of MTN and GLO 4G LTE SPEED TEST o. make we compare
Re: Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard by deor03(m): 3:01pm On Oct 06, 2016
rman:

what frequencies did NTel use? u know 1800 and 900 bands are general gsm frequency bands

While i agree with you 100% on the 1800 and 900 being GSM bands, what i am essentially saying is that LTE can be deployed on ANY band.

Ntel is using it's 1800 and 900 for LTE, while GLO,MTN ,Etisalat, Airtel are using theirs for 2G/3G; ( Etisalat that is presently refarming 5Mhz out of their 15Mhz on their 1800 Spectrum to deploy LTE ; trial will commence in Lagos soon)

2 Likes

Re: Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard by dustmalik: 3:34pm On Oct 06, 2016
Fancy26:
this is definitely not true. for the record, i will say that glo az always given data at the cheapest rate and they wont stop doing that. the prices of the 4g lte shows that all dey aim is convenience. alll hail glo the grandmaster of data.
There is nothing convenient about lte band 28 (700mhz). It's one of the most uncommon fdd lte bands. By the way, What device are you using your Glo lte on?

1 Like

Re: Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard by dustmalik: 3:45pm On Oct 06, 2016
aliyubaka:
I was also there earlier on. When they told me I needed to pay two thousand naira to swap my current sim with a 4G usim, I just left the office and bought a new one from those guys outside, for 500 naira. After all, I only use my glo sim for data purpose.
Re: Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard by eraly(m): 3:49pm On Oct 06, 2016
I don't want to bliv GLO is gonna run dis dia 4G LTE on only BAND 28 (700MHz). maybe there are gonna announce anoda band cos I want to bliv they know dat phone with band 28 LTE are not common. if they dnt, MTN go jus be dia king

5 Likes

Re: Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard by rman: 4:06pm On Oct 06, 2016
deor03:

While i agree with you 100% on the 1800 and 900 being GSM bands, what i am essentially saying is that LTE can be deployed on ANY band.

Ntel is using it's 1800 and 900 for LTE, while GLO,MTN ,Etisalat, Airtel are using theirs for 2G/3G; ( Etisalat that is presently refarming 5Mhz out of their 15Mhz on their 1800 Spectrum to deploy LTE ; trial will commence in Lagos soon)

Case closed...u understand what I am talking about.
Re: Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard by PMONEY6: 4:26pm On Oct 06, 2016
dustmalik:

90% is an understatement. It's more like, 97%. To make matters worse, none of the Infinix or Tecno lte devices support band 28/700mhz. Glo got this one real wrong.

My brother Glo is not ready for business yet.
I was at their center today to activate mine, after doing all the necessary stuff, I checked their menu, only to discover that the supported phones are just very few and expensive.
No Tecno, Gionee, infinix, etc.
HTC M9 upward is supported, galaxy s6 upward is on the list.
IPhone 6 upward is on the list too.

HTC M8, Galaxy S5, Note 4, iPhone 5 are not there.

And I ask the lady the need for this their so called 4G
When most of the 4G enabled phones Nigerians are using are not supported?

*modified*

Glo is doomed already if they dont reverse this highly ridiculous 4G band. 28(700mhz).
what nonsense 4G that almost anyone cant use?
so you must own a galaxy s7 iphone 6+ htc M10 to use this adultrated 4G?
little wonder nobody heard about it prior to its release. glo is very silly on this one

5 Likes

Re: Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard by eraly(m): 4:38pm On Oct 06, 2016
PMONEY6:

I was at their center today to activate mine, after doing all the necessary stuff, I checked their menu, only to discover that the supported phones are just very few and expensive.
HTC M9 upward is supported, galaxy s6 upward is on list.

HTC M8, Galaxy S5, Note 5 iPhone 5 are not there.

And I ask the lady the meaning of this their so called 4G?
When most of the phones Nigerian use are not there?

If you still want to try your luck like me (cus I have the HTC M8) then you proceed to their office with # 1500 yes .
Although you'll be given 1400 airtime as well.

Goodluck!!!

I jushope they wunt regret it. MTN targeted d masses by being on d bands dat supported alot of cheap n affordable phones while GLO targeted d rich by being on d band dat supports jus high end phones. lets wait n see who is gonna win
Re: Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard by eraly(m): 4:38pm On Oct 06, 2016
PMONEY6:

If you still want to try your luck like me (cus I have the HTC M8) then you proceed to their office with # 1500 yes .

Goodluck!!!

I jus hope they wunt regret it. MTN targeted d masses by being on d bands dat supported alot of cheap n affordable phones while GLO targeted d rich by being on d band dat supports jus high end phones. lets wait n see who is gonna win
PMONEY6:

Goodluck!!!

I jus hope they wunt regret it. MTN targeted d masses by being on d bands dat supports alot of cheap n affordable phones while GLO targeted d rich by being on d band dat supports jus high end phones. lets wait n see who is gonna win
Re: Make sure u find out the 4g band ur phone supports before buying any 4g simcard by Iscoalarcon: 5:11pm On Oct 06, 2016
eraly:

ok, let me explain.

Dat a phone is 4G enabled does not mean its gonna work on all network or with all sims. all these 4G network providers av frequency/bands dia 4G can work on. so the best tin to do is to do a little google search abt d frequency/bands a particular phone supports.

Glo 4G is BAND 28 (700MHz)

MTN 4G is BAND 20 (800MHz) and BAND 7 (2600MHz)

NTEL 4G s BAND 8 (900MHz) and BAND 3 (1800MHz)

and so on.

Please my Phone Band is WCDMA:2100 those it means it is 4g LTE?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

5 Effective Ways To Break Your Phone Addiction / MTN Ordered To Collapse Rates For On-net And Off-net Voice Services / The Latest Mtn Free Call Code Is Here... Mtn Awoof Is Back And Better

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.