Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,912 members, 7,952,675 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 08:56 PM

When The Wife becomes the Husband. - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When The Wife becomes the Husband. (40844 Views)

Should A Wife's Money Be '' Hers '' , While The Husband's Money Be " Ours " ? / The Law, The Husband, The Wife Or The Man, Who Is To Blame For This? (snapshots) / When Your Wife Takes Your Place As The Husband (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When The Wife becomes the Husband. by Savigne(f): 10:25am On Oct 07, 2016
As a woman I have no issue with doing all the house work as long as you're ready to play your role as a man and provide all the kids and I need.... But then again that doesn't stop me from helping out financially when you're low on cash and nothing should stop you also from helping out with chores.... Let's leave culture and religion out of this and use our conscience... If you claim you love someone you would help out when the need arises.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: When The Wife becomes the Husband. by Toks2008(m): 10:42am On Oct 07, 2016
Mom007:
You made some sense but the way you put it makes it easy for the man to feel resentful of your suggestions and the woman to feel entitled. The times have changed too much for you to say it's the man's job to do this and the woman's to do that. After all the women didn't get degrees and certification to come and hang on the husband's wall. What you should rather emphasize is love, humility and understanding between the two spouses. If you love your wife for instance, and see her being crushed under the weight of certain chores, nothing stops you from helping her out. If you love your husband and for a time he is incapable of meeting financial needs of the family, and you have the means to assist, do so without thinking too much of it. That is what being a family is all about after all.

Josephamstrong1:

Truth be told Oga Toks.
Nada like syndrome abt African mentality on d'syd of d'man and of d' wife bcomn a bread winner. Both parties build d' ship b4 sailing, one captain1, d' oda assistant captain to take ova wen captain1 gets tired. Responsibility shud b shared 50:50. Wen d' man ain't buoyant enuf to take up a responsibility doesn't make him less a man. Truth is, Pride and ego sets in wen reverse is d' case on d syd of d' woman.
For instance, thr r duties meant for a wife in d' house weda u're d' bread winner or not. And thr r duties a man shud do and ones dat breaks a man's ego. And wen lost, can't regain again. Breadwinner isn't all abt bringing money home for d' family?. Abi na for diff purse? So I don't see much ado in it. Do ya normal duties as a wife while providing for d' family wen d' man ain't buoyant enuf maybe coz job laid off... U kw. A man shud alwz learn to b a man despite wat. If nt, women hv dz natural traits of brking a man's ego in one way or d' oda...yes!
This controversial ish I must say. buh..boils down to wisdom and undastandin of both parties.

Apparently you all skiped this part

Toks2008:
[b]

Now it is important to note that no two marriages are the same and what works for you may not work for the other person and the fact that a man provides all the needs of the family does not mean that he can't assist the wife to do some of her primary duties if needs be and a wife who has become the breadwinner may also not mind playing her primary duties without any support from the husband .

Lets be frank with ourselves..is it not the man's responsibility to take care of the lady regardless of whatever she earns as income?

So what is the hullabaloo about sharing her responsibilities if she can be magnanimous enough to share yours?

1 Like

Re: When The Wife becomes the Husband. by Toks2008(m): 10:45am On Oct 07, 2016
Savigne:
As a woman I have no issue with doing all the house work as long as you're ready to play your role as a man and provide all the kids and I need.... But then again that doesn't stop me from helping out financially when you're low on cash and nothing should stop you also from helping out with chores.... Let's leave culture and religion out of this and use our conscience... If you claim you love someone you would help out when the need arises.

Is it not even naturally foolish for a man to claim alpha male when he can not provide for his family as he should?

I really don't understand why some men can't grasp this fact. A lady who plays the role of the husband or shares his role must be encouraged morally,physically and emotionally.

2 Likes

Re: When The Wife becomes the Husband. by hippyseason(f): 10:48am On Oct 07, 2016
wrongnumber:
Hog wash.

A wife must still play her full role even if she is the full breadwinner.

If I like I help and if I like I won't .

Oga toks I be your fan but i don't agree with this one.

Are you listening to yourself? Does what you're saying here actually make sense to you? Have you no shame? Anyways, I'm not surprised. What I find surprising is that a whole 3 people liked this post!
Re: When The Wife becomes the Husband. by Josephamstrong1(m): 10:49am On Oct 07, 2016
Toks2008:

Apparently you all skiped this part

Lets be frank with ourselves..is it not the man's responsibility to take care of the lady regardless of whatever she earns as income?

So what is the hullabaloo about sharing her responsibilities if she can be magnanimous enough to share yours?

U ryt.
same wt d' woman. I am her responsibility too.
Don't sound African here dat it solely my responsibility. Takes 2to Tango u kw.
Re: When The Wife becomes the Husband. by Savigne(f): 10:50am On Oct 07, 2016
Toks2008:

Is it not even naturally foolish for a man to claim alpha male when he can not provide for his family as he should?

I really don't understand why some men can't grasp this fact. A lady who plays the role of the husband or shares his role must be encouraged morally,physically and emotionally.
When we live in a world where people want to eat their cakes and have it what do you expect?.... May my daughters and I never fall into the hands of one of such men.

1 Like

Re: When The Wife becomes the Husband. by hippyseason(f): 10:53am On Oct 07, 2016
mbhs139:

My wife is not the co-bread winner in the house or of the family and yet I assist in doing household chores becuase, for me, i believe it's a form of exercise. Besides, by doing so, I'm also saving myself some cost and frustration. It allows me to know when certain things are not available or when they are likely not going to be available and I prepare in advance.

Like I wake up before anybody, boil water for the baby's flask and the one mother and child will use to take their bath. I'm even the one that goes to bed last. Once I'm back to the house my wife practically shot down; she knows I will take charge, and I have to if I want things to be done well. I go to bed last because I want to make sure all lights are put off; there's no water on the floor, no running tap and things like that. Yet, I'm the bread winner. Though, my wife, in her magnanimity, do get some things for the house, and for which I thank her. For instance, she will cook fresh fish when I've actually given her money for 'ponmo'

Now, that's what I call a man. Not all those things strutting around calling themselves "men".

1 Like

Re: When The Wife becomes the Husband. by Nobody: 1:54pm On Oct 07, 2016
How can you be feeding your family and paying school fees? are you a man?its a mans job pls,let your man do his role,nawa o.
doveda:
So if I pay MY children school fees and feed MY family, I become the husband of the home....seriously toks, can we get dvmber than thisshocked
My husband is no less of a man or a father or a husband if he does the chunk of house chores. Unless of course, you are insinuating that house chores are for slaves and subhumans.

@Jarizgod, when men who earn higher than their wives disrespect their wives and treat them like trash, we don't attribute it to their earning power or gender. Neither do morons say it derogates femininity. However when it involves stvpid women treating their spouses like trash you conveniently blame it on her earning power and the how the feminine gender is prone to bad behaviour and the audacity to tell us how it makes a their spouses less of a man.

Your logic....you are indeed very smart..
Re: When The Wife becomes the Husband. by doveda: 3:08pm On Oct 07, 2016
I would if I have a job and doesn't .

I don't believe in strict division of roles. I will be down for anything that makes the family comfortable.

quote author=uplawal post=49997815]How can you be feeding your family and paying school fees? are you a man?its a mans job pls,let your man do his role,nawa o.[/quote]
Re: When The Wife becomes the Husband. by doveda: 3:15pm On Oct 07, 2016
Is it not even naturally foolish for a broken record to insult men who have managed to hold a woman beta males?

Just saying

Toks2008:

Re: When The Wife becomes the Husband. by elektra(f): 3:21pm On Oct 07, 2016
ghostmist:
I see your point...

but, it's still at his discretion. They could get a maid at the very least. at least it solves two problems , and it's like killing two birds with a stone. she isn't stressed after work and the man's pride isn't crushed in the guise of doing domestic chores. Besides, he would also have the time to look for something economically tangible to engage himself with.

A man's pride? Should it not be a man's pride to do everything he can to ensure that his home runs smoothly? If they cannot afford a maid nko? Here in the states maid services cost an arm and a leg. It is 100% fine if he chooses to sit down, cross leg and be forming pride then later expect maximum respect from wife and children by virtue of his pr!ck abi?
Things are no longer the way they were during our mothers' time when most women did not work, now most families need the double income. Most women have no issue with doing all the domestic chores while the man provides, sadly this kind of arrangement is getting less feasible because of the economy.
Domestic chores are no longer as hard as they used to be too, the man could vacuum the living room, load the laundry and keep rice on fire. When wife returns she makes stew and fold the clothes, puts the kids to sleep. I promise you your pr!ck will not disappear if you contribute to your family in doing chores if your wife is contributing financially. Your wife will appreciate it and your kids are watching. They will respect you for it.

1 Like

Re: When The Wife becomes the Husband. by Nobody: 3:36pm On Oct 07, 2016
elektra:

A man's pride? Should it not be a man's pride to do everything he can to ensure that his home runs smoothly? If they cannot afford a maid nko? Here in the states maid services cost an arm and a leg. It is 100% fine if he chooses to sit down, cross leg and be forming pride then later expect maximum respect from wife and children by virtue of his pr!ck abi?
Things are no longer the way they were during our mothers' time when most women did not work, now most families need the double income. Most women have no issue with doing all the domestic chores while the man provides, sadly this kind of arrangement is getting less feasible because of the economy.
Domestic chores are no longer as hard as they used to be too, the man could vacuum the living room, load the laundry and keep rice on fire. When wife returns she makes stew and fold the clothes, puts the kids to sleep. I promise you your pr!ck will not disappear if you contribute to your family in doing chores if your wife is contributing financially. Your wife will appreciate it and your kids are watching. They will respect you for it.

Very well said.

To hire a maid, even part time, here in CA would set u back by $300/month. Sometimes, the man would have to go grocery shopping, and clean up the bathrooms.

1 Like

Re: When The Wife becomes the Husband. by ghostmist: 6:00pm On Oct 07, 2016
elektra:

grin

I swear if most women argued their case this way, they would rarely have issues with men. but they tend to throw logic out the window thereby causing the men to go defensive.

if you were my wife and you put your points across to me this way, the very next morning, I would have concluded all the necessary domestic chores before you'd have opened your eyes for the day.

it's the woman's attitude that is everything... there's a way you talk to a man that would have him washing your undies and bringing you breakfast in bed with joy. ladies these days are ignorant of this. they talk down on the man, leaving his ego in tatters and yet, they expect him to be reasonable....

kudos to you.... I completely get your point and I concur.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When The Wife becomes the Husband. by elektra(f): 9:06pm On Oct 07, 2016
ghostmist:
grin

I swear if most women argued their case this way, they would rarely have issues with men. but they tend to throw logic out the window thereby causing the men to go defensive.

if you were my wife and you put your points across to me this way, the very next morning, I would have concluded all the necessary domestic chores before you'd have opened your eyes for the day.

it's the woman's attitude that is everything... there's a way you talk to a man that would have him washing your undies and bringing you breakfast in bed with joy. ladies these days are ignorant of this. they talk down on the man, leaving his ego in tatters and yet, they expect him to be reasonable....

grin grin at the bolded. Yes, I agree with you. No one should talk down on their partner. It will achieve nothing.
Re: When The Wife becomes the Husband. by hippyseason(f): 11:15pm On Oct 07, 2016
ghostmist:
grin

While I get what you're saying, I must say, I resent the idea that men have to to be 'babied' to get them to be reasonable. This is something men should be able to reason out on their own, and not have it 'spoon-fed' to them, as though one has to thread on eggshells around them when trying express how we feel. I'm sorry, but this sort of attitude reeks of entitled male privilege to me.
Re: When The Wife becomes the Husband. by metallisc(m): 2:01am On Oct 08, 2016
KingCheezyPuff:
in Nigeria while i am in the US

Re: When The Wife becomes the Husband. by Nobody: 2:04am On Oct 08, 2016
metallisc:
like what? grin i am American ,here is home
Re: When The Wife becomes the Husband. by mikolo80: 2:33am On Oct 08, 2016
Toks2008:
The primary duty of the man in marriage is to provide the basic needs of his family talking about the wife and the children while the primary role of the wife is to nurture the husband and the children which is the perfect definition of help mate.

Now it is important to note that no two marriages are the same and what works for you may not work for the other person and the fact that a man provides all the needs of the family does not mean that he can't assist the wife to do some of her primary duties if needs be and a wife who has become the breadwinner may also not mind playing her primary duties without any support from the husband .

But nevertheless i sincerely believe that every man whose wife have become the main bread winner or a co-bread winner to realize that it is very expedient for him to be ready to also be a co-nurturer of the family and also perform the primary duties of the woman such as cleaning the house,cooking,taking care of the children and helping the wife to do things that will ease off the stress from her.

I have heard of several cases where a man who is fully financially dependent on the wife still expects her to do all the domestic activities and prepares all three course meals and some men even get so angry with the wife because she complains of tiredness.

It is very wicked and uncaring for a man whose wife is also a partaker of his primary duties to still expect the lady to fully take care of the home front and this does not make you less a man but will rather encourage the woman and not make her look like a slave in the house.

I know some men will say it is not in our tradition as Africans to do domestic chores and I sincerely agree but we must also understand that it is also not an Africa tradition for a woman to be a breadwinner.

I don't know if this makes sense.
if the woman maga reach dat point
Na she Sabi
Re: When The Wife becomes the Husband. by mikolo80: 3:36am On Oct 08, 2016
Savigne:
why you will quickly see husband and happy marriage
Beht you see all these feminazis
Their own don done
Husband go scarce ehn and wen dem manage deceive one maga na suffer then go just de cry for the marriage cos of foolish Oyinbo thinking
Re: When The Wife becomes the Husband. by diva90: 5:15am On Oct 08, 2016
Well said
Re: When The Wife becomes the Husband. by Savigne(f): 6:58am On Oct 08, 2016
mikolo80:
why you will quickly see husband and happy marriage
Beht you see all these feminazis
Their own don done
Husband go scarce ehn and wen dem manage deceive one maga na suffer then go just de cry for the marriage cos of foolish Oyinbo thinking
Hah hahaha... Leave oooo, some people here just dey blow hot air we all know the reality is quite different....How many feminists you don see for Nigeria?... Not online ooo in real life.
Re: When The Wife becomes the Husband. by mikolo80: 8:58pm On Oct 08, 2016
Savigne:

Hah hahaha... Leave oooo, some people here just dey blow hot air we all know the reality is quite different....How many feminists you don see for Nigeria?... Not online ooo in real life.
ah my friend is one. She go de form activist
De form say she no need man
Yet she wonder why she lonely
If we call am lesbo na vex

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photo Of 10 Siblings From Same Parents: 9 Girls, 1 Boy / 5 Years After Divorce, Woman Returns To Ex-husband's House To Beat Up New Wife / My Husband Is Being Insensitive, I Need An Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.