Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,045 members, 7,859,745 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 05:55 PM

~Have You Ever Denied Your Country(Nigeria)? . . .~ - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ~Have You Ever Denied Your Country(Nigeria)? . . .~ (11635 Views)

Poll: Have You Ever Denied Being A Nigerian?

Yes: 26% (27 votes)
No: 73% (74 votes)
This poll has ended

Most Dangerous Special Forces Of The World. See How Your Country’s Army Looks !! / February Elecions: Foreign Journalists Still Denied Visa Into Nigeria? / Five Shocking Things You Never Knew About Your Country, Nigeria! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ~Have You Ever Denied Your Country(Nigeria)? . . .~ by SeanT21(f): 9:21pm On Oct 19, 2009
The Nigerian government has been denying its citizens for the longest time now so its only right if they follow in their footsteps.

@amaka, must u argue in every thread
undecided
Re: ~Have You Ever Denied Your Country(Nigeria)? . . .~ by TheSly: 10:25pm On Oct 19, 2009
I dont look like one. Nigeria has never contributed anything positive to my existence.
I dont have anything to do with Nigeria. . . . . .I hate the bloody Country!

But. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Even if it puts me on ma kneels. . . . .I'll still put ₦aija on ma back! cool
Anytime. . . . . Anyday! cool
Re: ~Have You Ever Denied Your Country(Nigeria)? . . .~ by mikeoscar: 10:38pm On Oct 19, 2009
Nope, never had any reason to deny NIGERIA.

Straight-up Naija for life!

Hey, I get blue passport but East o, West o, no place like home.

, God bless Nigeria, my home, sweet home (x2) grin
Re: ~Have You Ever Denied Your Country(Nigeria)? . . .~ by Ndipe(m): 11:18pm On Oct 19, 2009
I dont think I have. Though I have been embarrased by some of their infamy that's made headlines in the USA. Remember in 95 during the hanging of Saro Wiwa. Gosh, that was a blight on our image and then, when 419 was rearing it's ugly face in the global arena. Someone complained of almost being duped and I was so embarrased. Now, talk about 419 for 24 hours, or let it be beamed live on tv, and truthfully, I wont be bothered by it.
Re: ~Have You Ever Denied Your Country(Nigeria)? . . .~ by oyinda3(f): 11:23pm On Oct 19, 2009
can you guys tell stories and share your experiences on situations or occasions where u denied nigeria? why did you do it and what country did you claim instead?
seems illegal immigrants are more likely to deny the country. or business ppl.
Re: ~Have You Ever Denied Your Country(Nigeria)? . . .~ by stantalka: 11:28pm On Oct 19, 2009
hi Brein, thanks for understanding, u won't understand the misery behind the clock but its something good and i'm sure u'll love to seek for it by the time i tell u. its something we have to discuss on phone and not here. meanwhile here is my email add: owai33_enems@yahoo.com. lets discuss there. cheers Stan
Re: ~Have You Ever Denied Your Country(Nigeria)? . . .~ by Nobody: 11:36pm On Oct 19, 2009
No I've not. I have never used the 'I'm African' phrase. I always say I'm Nigerian. Saying Nigeria sounds sophisticated in my ears.  grin People are generally nice to me anyway. Maybe the witch from una village follow una come here that's why the citizens here hate you guys. grin grin cheesy
Re: ~Have You Ever Denied Your Country(Nigeria)? . . .~ by Nobody: 11:40pm On Oct 19, 2009
u no serious at all . . . grin
Re: ~Have You Ever Denied Your Country(Nigeria)? . . .~ by Beaf: 11:43pm On Oct 19, 2009
stillwater:

No I've not. I have never used the 'I'm African' phrase. I always say I'm Nigerian. Saying Nigeria sounds sophisticated in my ears.  grin People are generally nice to me anyway. Maybe the witch from una village follow una come here that's why the citizens here hate you guys. grin grin cheesy

Winsh no dey cross ocean. Check your box weda Yar Adua dey inside! grin
Re: ~Have You Ever Denied Your Country(Nigeria)? . . .~ by TheSly: 12:31am On Oct 20, 2009
Beaf:

Winsh no dey cross ocean.
Dont be deceived oh. . . . .I don see live winch and their works here oh, Im serious. cheesy
Re: ~Have You Ever Denied Your Country(Nigeria)? . . .~ by Rooneyboy(m): 1:24am On Oct 20, 2009
Yes o , i have denied the country on so many occasions and will still do so if the need arises in the future. I cant afford to loose good opportunities because i m a Nigerian.
Re: ~Have You Ever Denied Your Country(Nigeria)? . . .~ by chiogo(f): 2:33am On Oct 20, 2009
IgboGirl:

All of you that are claiming to be die hard Nigerians and insulting those who have denied Nigeria, please do enlighten us on what you are most proud of about Nigeria?

I have never denied Nigeria, haven't been in a position to and I doubt I can considering I bear a Nigerian name and I love my name so no chance of me ever changing it to a foreign name but I must tell you though that I am not proud of Nigeria.
Thank you!!! It's usually the ones screaming like they're the most patriotic that know zilch about the country. smh!!

stillwater:

No I've not. I have never used the 'I'm African' phrase. I always say I'm Nigerian. Saying Nigeria sounds sophisticated in my ears.  grin People are generally nice to me anyway. Maybe the witch from una village follow una come here that's why the citizens here hate you guys. grin grin cheesy
Haha, same here. "I'm African" indeed. I don't hear Americans say they're North Americans. Na so Naija people go dey disgrace person!! grin grin No wonder they think Africa is a country.
Re: ~Have You Ever Denied Your Country(Nigeria)? . . .~ by biolabee(m): 3:58am On Oct 20, 2009
i will read the rest later

but imo

We deny our country by our youths everyday hustling to leave the shores of this country through illegal means, pgd education etc to get some years of work and then stay ther

We deny our country by ensuring we send our wives to canada, us etc to have citizenships etc

We deny our country with our siddon look mentality to our politician-riggers,, militants, apathy to degradation of values

i have not lied and said i am not a nigerian but there are pple out there i know in life or death situations or big binds who have to had to do such and men i no blame una

he who has no sin shd cast the first stone

what is the concept of a nation

man anywhere in the world is built with one instinct first - survival
Re: ~Have You Ever Denied Your Country(Nigeria)? . . .~ by proproman(m): 7:41am On Oct 20, 2009
@biolabee, God bless you for that post. All of una wey dey claim diehard Nigerians, make una keep quiet! Most of you are not even in the country, a lot of you were not born here or did not grow up here, that's why you feel you have the moral standing to castigate those that have denied the country. Well, if you did not go through what they have gone through, suffered what they have suffered, then my dears you have no right to claim justification for castigation. When any of you get married and have kids, take that child to Nigeria, drop him or her with a relative in Ajegunle or Orile. Come back for your child in 15 years. If the child does not deny the country twelve times over at a go and even deny you the parent for claiming Nigeria, then you will know that things have gotten better. Why suffer in this country and still suffer outside it. If denying Naija will give the same opportunities and treatment as others from other countries, i don't really blame the denier. Anyway, i don't blame anybody. I blame our siddon look attitude and pray without ceasing mantra. Prayer alone will not solve our problem in this country. Our leaders see us as toothless dogs that can only make noise and I must say we are toothless dogs and we have to borrow teeth. At least the French and Ghanaians took initiative not siddon look.
Re: ~Have You Ever Denied Your Country(Nigeria)? . . .~ by osasp(m): 8:05am On Oct 20, 2009
biolabee:

i will read the rest later

but imo

We deny our country by our youths everyday hustling to leave the shores of this country through illegal means, pgd education etc to get some years of work and then stay ther

We deny our country by ensuring we send our wives to canada, us etc to have citizenships etc

We deny our country with our siddon look mentality to our politician-riggers,, militants, apathy to degradation of values

i have not lied and said i am not a nigerian but there are pple out there i know in life or death situations or big binds who have to had to do such and men i no blame una

he who has no sin shd cast the first stone

what is the concept of a nation

man anywhere in the world is built with one instinct first - survival

yh man u killed it
i rememba getting stopped by d police when i was goin 2 work, told d dude i was nigerian and d remaining 3 stepped out d car lol. . .just this last 2 saturdays, if i was illegal, that would have been it.
Re: ~Have You Ever Denied Your Country(Nigeria)? . . .~ by bibiking1(m): 9:35am On Oct 20, 2009
Jakumo:

With the vested powers reposed upon me by the Sacred Order of the Grandfather Clock Aficionados, I hereby confer honorary, conditional knighthoods upon Bbking1 and Lady Lucille.

Arise, Sir BBKing, and remember to go on-line to track the progress of that important package containing all your credit cards, that was earlier submitted to us via Federal Express, in order to assure that these honorary knighthoods are confirmed, and not later revoked by the Grand Exalted Cyclops of Grandfather Clocks, Nigeria Chapter.

Her name is Lady Lucia and not Lucille, please effect that change on the certificates please!
Re: ~Have You Ever Denied Your Country(Nigeria)? . . .~ by skfa1: 9:52am On Oct 20, 2009
Im a Nigerian wink cheesy
Re: ~Have You Ever Denied Your Country(Nigeria)? . . .~ by hambehsam(m): 12:43pm On Oct 20, 2009
WHY SHOULD I ? OF ALL THE PLACES ON EARTH, THERE IS A PURPOSE WHY I HAPPEN TO BE A NIGERIAN, I CANT DENY THAT FACT, AND I MUST WORK TO FULFILL DESTINY. NIGERIA IS THE BEST PLACE TO BE ANYTIME. LETS US ALL JOIN HANDS TOGETHER, TO REBUILD AND NOT REBRAND OUR COUNTRY. FOR WE HAVE NO OTHER.
Re: ~Have You Ever Denied Your Country(Nigeria)? . . .~ by kinol: 7:58pm On Oct 20, 2009
Even Beyounce is proud to associate with Nigeria. Check this out. It is really interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGSQH51bN-Y
Re: ~Have You Ever Denied Your Country(Nigeria)? . . .~ by yeswecan(m): 8:14pm On Oct 20, 2009
no
Re: ~Have You Ever Denied Your Country(Nigeria)? . . .~ by ChinenyeN(m): 9:58pm On Oct 20, 2009
kinol:

Even Beyounce is proud to associate with Nigeria. Check this out. It is really interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGSQH51bN-Y
Your point being. . ?
Re: ~Have You Ever Denied Your Country(Nigeria)? . . .~ by kinol: 10:33pm On Oct 20, 2009
ChinenyeN:

Your point being. . ?

Good to know and identify with you root/source no matter what. Though sometimes is hard but very necessary.
Re: ~Have You Ever Denied Your Country(Nigeria)? . . .~ by chiogo(f): 11:25pm On Oct 20, 2009
LOL @ Chinenye.

Don't tell me the youtube link is the one where she was singing Nigeria's anthem. grin grin
Re: ~Have You Ever Denied Your Country(Nigeria)? . . .~ by ChinenyeN(m): 11:50pm On Oct 20, 2009
First, she has Nigerian roots?
Second, Beyonce is a rich American icon, married (or so I've heard) to another rich American icon. So, it's easy for her to say whatever she said, considering that she wasn't born and raised in Naija, and that she lives a rather comfortable life here in the U.S.

by the way, I did not click on that YouTube link. We're talking about Beyonce and Naija. So, I didn't see the need to.

hehehh. . Chiogo, I am only trying to understand what Beyonce's connection with Naija is, and its relationship with this topic. hehehh.
Re: ~Have You Ever Denied Your Country(Nigeria)? . . .~ by Fhemmmy: 11:51pm On Oct 20, 2009
Even though Nigeria has disappointed many and still does, i have never and will never deny being a Nigerian
Re: ~Have You Ever Denied Your Country(Nigeria)? . . .~ by PurestBoy(m): 1:26am On Oct 21, 2009
Yes & I will always deny her
Re: ~Have You Ever Denied Your Country(Nigeria)? . . .~ by Amigoz(f): 11:27am On Oct 21, 2009
@OP

Nope

I cant even if I want to. . . .

the 'mo wa o wa o wa o, ase ni yi lo wa' tribal mark. . . .

on ma face is a dead give away embarassed cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: ~Have You Ever Denied Your Country(Nigeria)? . . .~ by lovemoi2(f): 11:42am On Oct 21, 2009
yes sometimes sad

i feel bad saying this, but sometimes its so hard to admit i am a nigerian with all the bad name that we keep having abroad

but of course most of the time i tell people i am nigerian
Re: ~Have You Ever Denied Your Country(Nigeria)? . . .~ by emiwanlee(m): 6:05am On Oct 22, 2009
i havn't had course to,but when i will gladly do when the chance comes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

President Buhari Arrives Niger For ECOWAS Meeting / Boko Haram Burnt Down 40 Houses In Borno — Police... / "Avoid Me, Davido" Buhari Fights Davido Over His Ridiculing Comment (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.