Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,242 members, 7,818,826 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:06 AM

Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? (14312 Views)

African Queen Or Oliver Twist: Which Song Is More Internationally Acclaimed? / Why Isn't The Radio Rocking No More?/ How Will They Stop Downloads Etc: / Can I Download Nigerian Music From the Internet? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by alabiyemmy(m): 11:06am On Jan 13, 2007
Who is this DIOS guy?

Can he talk more meaningfully without trying to bring accent into his writtings?
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by Dios(f): 11:29am On Jan 13, 2007
alabiyemmy, is there some kind of anti dios chemical in the water in the UK, because I don't see any reason why you have a problem with the way I write, afterall I wasn't even talking to or about you. See I can write properly but this is not a grammer exam so f*ck you,jackass. grin. I speak how I want and write how I want AND AIN'T SH*T YOU CAN DO BOUT IT and before you try to correct me, use spellcheck.
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by sadis: 9:02pm On Jan 14, 2007
hi guys,
i'm from burkina faso but living in usa i'am a big fan of nigerian music i have a huge collection of old timers like el hadji haruna ishola i believe he was and still the best nigerian artist by far i'm mostly apala music guy i love it so much i listen to it everyday but i don't have a clue what they singing about lol.i think a music need to be original to make it in the world market like malian,senegalese,and congolese.nowaday nigerians artists are too influenced by r&b and rap with bad english accent lol.
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by Radiant(f): 9:53pm On Jan 14, 2007
sadis:

nowaday nigerians artists are too influenced by r&b and rap with bad english accent lol.

And with your kind of grammar and all that crappy shit you wrote, you have the guts to complain and laugh about Nigerians "bad English accent"? undecided

Don't care who you are but, better swallow your words before they choke you!
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by superman(m): 10:31pm On Jan 14, 2007
these africans damn!!
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by Ndipe(m): 10:58pm On Jan 14, 2007
Leave the guy alone@radiant, he is not an Englishman, and by the way, there is some element of truth in what he wrote, even though one might interpret it as arrogant.

Sadis, where in Burkina Faso do you hail from? I also want to visit your country. I liked your late president, Thomas Sankara. One of the best presidents that Africa has produced. So sad that his life was cut short. Ever been to this place, Banfora and Bobo Dioulasso? Those are the places that I want to visit in addition to Yako, the birthplace of Sankara. Let me know more about those places if possible.
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by Radiant(f): 11:04pm On Jan 14, 2007
Ndipe:

Leave the guy alone@radiant, he is not an Englishman.

He's not an English man but can criticize an English accent? Does that make any form of sense to you? Tell me you his tutor huh? Excuse me!!!
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by superman(m): 11:45pm On Jan 14, 2007
im sure there is some element of truth in this one as well ! damn south africa  and zimbabewa accent sucks!

im comin back

im caming baeke! una de craze over there

WORLD CUP 2010 : South Africa blacklist Nigeria?
Ademola Olajire
Saturday, January 13, 2007

It would appear that the South African organizers of the 19th football World Cup finals in Year 2010 deliberately don’t want anything to do with Nigerians as they prepare for the showpiece in three-and-half years time!

South Africa’s triumph at the poll for the 2010 World Cup hosting in FIFA’s headquarters in Zurich on May 15, 2004, was the handiwork of diligent and tireless South African bid chiefs, that country’s former President and world citizen, Nelson Mandela, the South African society and the entire African continent.

But events since the victory have shown that the South Africans, for whom Nigeria stepped down from the race to enhance their chances of winning, do not have so much regard for Nigerian people.

In constituting its Ambassadors for the 2010 finals, South Africa’s organizers have picked the likes of Ghanaian legend, Abedi Pele, Liberian superstar and 1995 World Player of the Year, George Weah, Cameroonian hero, Roger Milla and Zambian legend, Kalusha Bwalya.

No Nigerian made it to the list.

Yet, the continent’s most populous nation with 140 million, boasting so many super athletes and credible sports managers all over the world, has always done her best to buoy South Africa in any way her assistance is needed. Nigeria spearheaded the decades-long battle against apartheid - the obnoxious system that segregated blacks from the whites in the enclave for several decades, denying the blacks their rights.

One can still remember how Nigeria missed winning gold medals at the 1976 Olympics in Montreal and the 1978 Commonwealth Games in Edmonton (both in Canada, simply in protest against the indulgence of South African white supremos. Nigeria also led an African boycott of the 1986 Commonwealth Games in Edinburgh, Scotland, because Britain was perceived not to be doing enough to ginger the white leaders of South Africa to abandon apartheid practices.

It is therefore surprising that after doing everything again to assist her in winning the hosting right of the first World Cup to be staged in Africa, the South Africans would shun Nigeria so much.

That apartheid no longer exists today is chiefly due to the concerted efforts of Nigerian government officials, and sports chieftains, who drove the bulwark against apartheid. Nigeria’s International Olympic Committee (IOC) Member, Sir Adetokunbo Ademola (now late), did so much to block the admission of South Africa to the IOC, and his replacement, Major-General Henry Edmund Olufemi Adefope continued where he stopped.

In fact, in recognition of the role that Nigeria played in kicking apartheid to a state of permanent coma, the International Olympic Committee included Nigeria’s Adefope in its team to assess the progress made by South Africa in multi-racial relations and eventual re-admission to the global body.

Some of the best athletes to have come out of Nigeria forfeited the opportunity of winning Olympic medals in their lifetime when the country opted to boycott the 1976 Olympics in Montreal. This cast included Modupe Oshikoya, Charlton Ehizuelen, Kunle Awesu, Thompson Usiyen, Mudashiru Lawal, Sam Ojebode, Babatunde Obisanya and Baba Otu Muhammad.

All had won gold at the 2nd All-Africa Games that Nigeria staged in 1973 and were in peak form for the Olympics because the Federal Government of General Olusegun Obasanjo announced that Nigeria would not be going because New Zealand, which rugby team went on a playing tour of South Africa, and continued to dally with the South Africans, was in the Games.

It was a shock to the athletes because they were already in Montreal before the announcement, and had to pack their bags out of the Olympic Village in a hurry as the government dispatched an aircraft to take them back to Lagos.

So many other athletes lost the chance to win medals at the Commonwealth Games in Edmonton two years later, which the government again boycotted for similar reasons. In 1986, the government of General Ibrahim Babangida announced that Nigeria would not be attending the Commonwealth Games in Edinburgh because Britain was not doing enough to kick South Africa’s apartheid-hugging leaders in the behind.

Nigeria is on record to have spearheaded so many other things to get apartheid out of South African lives. South Africa was eventually re-admitted into international sports fold in the early 1990s.

But the efforts of Nigeria are not being appreciated by South Africa’s new black leaders.

This reporter was a member of a three-man Nigeria media team that interviewed South Africa’s bid leader (now organizing committee, CEO) Danny Jordaan at the Cape Sun Hotel in Cape Town, in February 1999, and he promised that should South Africa get the hosting right, it would be an African World Cup. The country failed to get that one, losing to Germany by a single vote for the 2006 finals, but won the vote for 2010.

Nigeria’s vibrant and respected media dug in deep in condemnation of the act that denied South Africa the 2006 vote and this country’s sports officials spoke against it, saying the ‘World’ should be removed from the ‘World Cup’ since no African country is deemed good enough to host it.

It was the scale and consistency of the condemnation (chiefly by the Nigerian media) and the body language of Africa’s leading administrators that compelled FIFA to adopt the rotation policy that eventually ensured the 2010 finals would come to Africa.

But the events since then have left much to be desired and South African organizers need to explain what qualifies Ghanaian Abedi Pele for a role as ambassador for 2010 WC that does not qualify Nigeria’s Jay-Jay Okocha, Rashidi Yekini, Stephen Keshi or Nwankwo Kanu.

Yekini was  African Player of the Year 1993 and scored Nigeria’s first goal at the World Cup in 1994, and also played at the 1998 World Cup. He played in four African Nations Cup finals and was top scorer in Tunisia in 1994 when Nigeria won the trophy.

Keshi captained Nigeria for 10 years and played at five Nations Cup finals, and also at the 1994 World Cup. He has since gone into coaching and qualified tiny Togo for both the Nations Cup in Egypt and the World Cup finals in Germany last year.

Okocha played in three World Cup finals and five Nations Cup finals, and is included in the great Pele’s list of the Best 100 Footballers alive. An impressario without equal, Okocha played in Germany, Turkey, France and England, and is still playing in Qatar. He also won Olympic football gold.

Kanu won FIFA World Junior Cup in 1993, has played in four Nations Cup finals and two World Cups, and captained Nigeria’s team to Olympic gold in 1996. He was named African Footballer of the Year in 1996 and 1999 and has a Heart Foundation, funding surgeries for Africa’s endangered youth.

Abedi Pele never played at either the Olympics or the World Cup!

The Confederation of African Football, in its wisdom, picked two of its top officials, Nigeria’s Amos Adamu (exco member) and Egypt’s Mustapha Fahmy (scribe) to be co-opted into the organizing committee of the 2010 WC by the organizers. But Saturday Sports learnt these two officials have never been invited to any meeting, event or programme on the championship.

Meanwhile, persons from Europe, Asia and South America are being invited to help the hosts with their expertise in order to deliver a World Cup finals that FIFA will be proud of. Are there no Nigerians who have expertise in this regard?

It must also be noted that the South African organizers have not shown any regard for women athletes and administrators. While the world body, FIFA finds Nigeria’s Mercy Akide good enough to be their ambassador for women’s football, SA 2010 WC does not think she is worth a mention, or even any female footballer for that matter.
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by Ndipe(m): 4:04am On Jan 15, 2007
Sports forum would be the appropriate place to post this message of yours@superman
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by Shinor(m): 1:06pm On Jan 15, 2007
Nuff Respect to all the contributors to particular topic. Having read through, i would simply submit that like every other thing Nigerian, Nigerian Music continues to suffer a lack of international appeal for various reasons which some writers here have already highlighted.
1. You cannot find these so called artistes in Record shops abroad. I approached Premier Christian Radio London in 2002 with the CD's of some Nigerian Gospel artistes i was working with. They Listened to them, liked the stuff but wouldn't play them. So i asked why? They said when they play them and listeners phone to ask where can they get the album, where are they going to point them to as these artistes did not have any international distribution agreement.
2. The Production quality is sometimes suspect. But i believe that is getting better.
3. One contributor said we cannot rap better than Americans. How true. We cant sing ragga better than the Jamaicans. When you originate something, you possess a special ability to take to another level just like that.ich is why no Oyinbo will do Afro Beat better than Fela.
We need to evolve our style. The Congolese have done that with Makossa. It is a unique sound associated with the Congolese only. You dont hear it and start trying to figure out where it came from.
Thats why when Sunny Ade comes abroad, he gets rave reviews and his audience in England is made up of 60% Oyinbo.
4. We cannot do movies based on Hollywood lifestyles when we dont even possess the base technology to do those kind of movies.

I believe that the Nigerian Music style that will make waves internationally is FUJI, I dont listen to Fuji, but i follow its development. If the artistes sign a distribution deal with a company like VP Records in America( they are involved with spreading the Reggae/ gospel all over America), FUJI will make it.
Just my humble submission O
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by Things(m): 6:10am On Jan 18, 2007
My perspective about our music not very popular internationally is as good as what eveyone here have said, however until we become genuine in our concepts we wont see the light of "international" day, cos if the moon strives to be like the sun, it wont have any recognition. No matter how we try to be American you only become twisted if you try too hard, now no doubt they(Americans) set the pace as models in this music thing, we still need originality. See Fela he got somewhere yet his music wasnt hip hop, rap or rock.
And i dont if this is true, i think the artists 'emselves dont want to go international, i say this cos they are so "reward" sensitive that if an opportunity present itself without great reward they grab it by the "elbow" instead of the horn.
For example, for two cosecutive years now,attempts have been made to bring certain artists to New York for the "Nigerian Independence Parade" but by 'emselves they screw it up.
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by JustGood(m): 5:27pm On Jan 20, 2007
becos naija pipul don dey craze
naija pipul no dey proud of demsefs
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by chichimma(f): 4:52pm On Jan 21, 2007
I think that most people here are just focussing on the Nigerian artists that are in the spotlight already .There are many (upcoming) artists that are not even following the scenes of hip-hop, R&B or rap but have their own style but yet people still focus on the ones like Tuface and P-Square. I mentioned before some of the artists that I think that have their own style.

The main issue is promotion and marketing which does not go without money. It depends also on the target of the managers of these artists. Or they should do something very shocking that can make them come in the international news like what Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake did ( nipplegate) a publicity stunt. Its just an example.

People keep on refering to Fela's fame internationally which had also something to do with his rebellious lyrics and open protest on the regime in particular about Nigeria. This caused a lot of attention especially in a country that was under the millitairy regime at that time.
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by Things(m): 6:12pm On Jan 22, 2007
@chichi
i concur. In a short word uniqueness,carving a niche for oneself, creativity etc. not Mr Follow-Follow.
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by chichimma(f): 10:07pm On Jan 23, 2007
@ Things

Yes, in short is being yourself and not follow-follow but you can have someone as your rolemodel! There is no crime in using 'American' influences in music but overdo it!

However, exclusivity is the key having your own sound and style! It will be helpfull if these artists have producers/managers with expertise in the music scene to give the artists space to be and stay unique in the first place! In addition, will strive to become internationally known which comes back to effective marketing and promotion of the artist, in short money.

Talent without money or right connections (people) will not take you anywhere!!! wink
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by phoenixman: 12:41am On Jan 24, 2007
CHICHIMAN!!!!!sorry Chichimma, that just rushed out my fingers cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by seeker(m): 8:07am On Jan 24, 2007
Ndipe:

Read this story.

http://.com/forums/index.php?topic=22889.0

Wow! You have a forum in a root server? tongue
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by Ndipe(m): 8:10am On Jan 24, 2007
The link is on Nigerian Entertainment, an online Nigerian forum. Someone posted an interview that Femi Kuti granted, and I attempted (to no avail) to post the link.

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/music/features/article2163450.ece
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by Christino(m): 11:52pm On Jan 24, 2007
Thanks Ndipe,

That was a typical Fela spirit talking in Femi. Thanks for the link, that's the kinda news i love to read, not Beyonce buys 10 million pound gold specs for Jay Z grin
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by Radiant(f): 12:21am On Jan 25, 2007
Awwww. . . Ok! Tino, I'll get you one. grin grin grin
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by oyinboaja: 9:50pm On Jan 28, 2007
na wa oh
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by Christino(m): 10:49pm On Jan 28, 2007
@ Radiant,

Still expecting o, keep your promise.
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by cyberangel(m): 11:17pm On Jan 28, 2007
we are not true to our roots. i have always maintained that the most successful Nigerian artists internationally are not only talented but true to their roots: King Sunny Ade, Lagbaja, Femi Kuti, I.K Dairo(original). My point is that you can not sell to a man what he already has. this means you can not do hip hop better than the Americans.

There's an artist I'm really proud of now. his name is Jeremiah Gyang.he stays true to his roots but infuses hip hop in a way that makes his music refreshing. that is the way to go if we want to achieve international success. Artists like Baba Maal, Mariam Makeba, Yosouf Ndou have proven that world wide fame and recognition is achievable.
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by Ndipe(m): 11:39pm On Jan 28, 2007
Cyberangel, do you live in Fremont, California?
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by cyberangel(m): 11:47pm On Jan 28, 2007
@ ndipe

yes. currently in lagos because i am a consultant for a reality tv show called dance house nigeria. will be around in 10 days
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by Ndipe(m): 11:52pm On Jan 28, 2007
Cool, one of my pals relocated to San Ramon from Fremont. I have some friends in the East bay which is somewhat the center of attraction for Nigerian parties in the bay area. I attend some of the get-togethers. I live in Mountain View, in the South bay area.
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by cyberangel(m): 12:09am On Jan 29, 2007
@ndipe
very nice. maybe when i get back we could hook up at the moment this show is driving me crazy
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by gbadex1(m): 7:53am On Jan 29, 2007
Alert!

Alert!!

Hook-up Alert!!!

@ Ndipe:

ogbeni, you be shaaaarrp guy! no dulling!! cheesy tongue
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by chichimma(f): 9:15am On Feb 02, 2007
@ Phoenixman

phoenixman:

CHICHIMAN!!!!!sorry Chichimma, that just rushed out my fingers cheesy cheesy

And your point is I don't get the joke at all !
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by tenor(m): 9:36pm On Nov 12, 2007
Because our standard for success is pretty low. For as long as we continue to hail badly written songs with no sense, crappily produced works,

incomplete artistes who thrive in mediocrity, a very lax marketing and distribution network, incompetent and greedy labels who do not bot feel the

passion of music running through their veins, we'll have problems with our works having the international acceptance. And by that we do not mean just

african awards categories in the EMA's and MOBOs but we mean going pound for pound with the real musicians like JayZ, Mary J Blige, Erykah Badu,

India Arie etc. Some African's have broken into these categories, Youssou Ndour, Angelique Kidjo, Lucky Dube (RIP), and lately Freshly Ground,

Pls note: this does not mean i'm oblivious to and unappreciative of the conscious efforts made by some, but more needs to be done.
Re: Why Isn't Nigerian Music Very Popular Internationally? by skingo(m): 10:00pm On Nov 12, 2007
because nigerian music comprises of slangs, lingo and other componentsthat are best understandable to africans only,
thats why,
the international artists that corssover usually crossover with the simpliest kind of music,

michael jackson- we are the world
world music.

hope our new artists will learn and follow suit!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Paul Play[angel Of My Life] / Phyno - 'Onyeoma' Ft. Olamide (Video) / Help With This Mtn Caller Tune Name Pls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.