Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,133 members, 7,829,045 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:04 PM

Is Sugar Really That Bad For Your Health? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Is Sugar Really That Bad For Your Health? (362 Views)

Is Health Really That Important / Is The Sugar In Fruits Good Or Bad For Your Health? / Is Sugar Ruining Your Fertility? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is Sugar Really That Bad For Your Health? by BuzzAss(m): 6:20am On Oct 09, 2016
As a man, eating sugar and maybe just a bit of it is considered a taboo of some sort.

I love chilled soft drinks and many times, despite the warnings from friends and family, I always fell into the trap of taking them.

But sometimes, I keep pondering on something.

Is sugar really that bad for our health?

There are lot of bad guys in town when it comes to food. We’ve got alcohol and now, it’s sugar.

Many who includes health professionals and experts have labeled it a “poison” that’s “killing us”.

But again, I keep wondering why sugar has never wiped away our early men who lived on raw fruits and grains that are mainly made of sugar and it major derivative – carbohydrates.

“We actually need sugar; it’s our body’s preferred fuel,” says David Katz, MD, director of the Yale University Prevention Research Center. “But we eat too damn much of it.”

But again, the question is this.

Are we really eating too much of sugar and is eating too much of sugar really a bad one or a dead sentence?

To answer the first question of “are we really eating too much of sugar?”, let’s take a look at the sugar component of common foods which includes fruits, vegetable and grains.

Rice is a common stable food in this side of the world and almost everyone including my 3 year niece know that it’s a Carbohydrate (basic elementary school science) and it’s made mainly of sugar.
Surprisingly beyond my own expectations, out of a 195g serving of cooked rice, only 45g which is like 23% of the whole components is carbohydrate and out of that, we have a mere 0.7g as sugar.

But wait a second!

Elementary science made us realize the fact that when carbohydrate is ingested, our body breaks it down into simple units out of which consist of sugar and this means we get more sugar after eating rice than we have before eating it.

But away from rice.

Beans is all a common stable food around and unlike rice, it has so many derivatives like moin-moin, bean balls popularly called Akara, “ekuru” for the Yoruba folks and many more like that.
Beans contains more carbohydrate than rice and even more sugar but why do we all see beans as a protein based food when it has more carbohydrate and sugar than rice that is considered a carbohydrate?

Maybe that will be a point of discussion for another day.

And what about our common fruits and vegetable?

Read More on BuzzAss
http://buzzass.com/2016/10/07/is-sugar-really-that-bad-for-your-health/

(1) (Reply)

Yoga Teacher Training In Nepal- Join And Make Your Career / Cell Phone Technology Increases Cancer Risk / Effective Natural Weight Loss Through African Mango

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.