Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,671 members, 7,820,356 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:31 PM

Replacing The Ten Commandments With 'Fundemental Rules Of Conduct' - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Replacing The Ten Commandments With 'Fundemental Rules Of Conduct' (1523 Views)

The Ten Commandments In The New Testament / The Ten Commandments Of Human Relations / Let's Not Cultivate That Habit Of Replacing Christ With X (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Replacing The Ten Commandments With 'Fundemental Rules Of Conduct' by Reverend(m): 2:49pm On Dec 27, 2006
New Commandments for the 21st Century

As intelligent human beings, what commandments might we create? Here is a starting point for the new Rules of Conduct:

1. Do not murder or harm other human beings.
2. Do not enslave.
3. Do not steal.
4. Do not destroy another's property.
5. Do not lie or cheat.
6. Do not discriminate against groups of people on the basis of arbitrary characteristics.
7. Do not waste the time of another, for our limited time on earth is all that we have.
8. Do not pollute the planet, for we all share it.
9. Obey the laws and ordinances of the community. If you do not agree with them, work to change them rather than disobeying them.
10. Do not have any Gods. NOT ONE
11. Always be honest and faithful
12. Keep your religion to yourself

This process of creating the "rules of conduct" is not based on "religion" or "God." It is based on common sense. "Do not murder" is simple and obvious, and it is essential if we want to live in a functional society. We post these rules prominently to remind ourselves of our standards and our goals as a society.

We should arrive at our commandments through a normal political process (public debate, voting, etc.). Doing this ourselves is an extremely powerful idea because we can all take part in the process, and we will actually get a much better set of commandments.

What do you think should be added to the list above?
Re: Replacing The Ten Commandments With 'Fundemental Rules Of Conduct' by mrmayor(m): 3:25pm On Dec 27, 2006
Reverend,

I'll help you out with No.10

10. Do no force your believes or laws God or Gods real and imagined on others
Re: Replacing The Ten Commandments With 'Fundemental Rules Of Conduct' by Reverend(m): 3:49pm On Dec 27, 2006
@MrMayor

I am glad that you came up with that one. That is exactly what we preach. That you should not preach or be preached to!

Everbody is there own God and guide in life. We do not need to follow imaginary ones smiley

Good point,
Re: Replacing The Ten Commandments With 'Fundemental Rules Of Conduct' by jagunlabi(m): 4:21pm On Dec 27, 2006
Nice set of "commandments".All we need now is a stone tablet. smiley
Re: Replacing The Ten Commandments With 'Fundemental Rules Of Conduct' by TayoD(m): 4:24pm On Dec 27, 2006
You have only re-written the ten commandments. All that you have mentioned are still within the law. No matter how you try to run away from God, you show your folly by running towards Him. You can't do better than what has been done

Like Chris Okotie will say: "You can never run away from God, you can either run to His love or into His wrath. He is at both ends of continuum."

1 Like

Re: Replacing The Ten Commandments With 'Fundemental Rules Of Conduct' by Reverend(m): 4:29pm On Dec 27, 2006
jagunlabi:

Nice set of "commandments".All we need now is a stone tablet. smiley

The whole point is to get away from the past and look to the future. The rules are non religious so everybody can follow them,

To set them in stone would be old fashioned and that is what we are trying to get away from. These rules would be available on CD, DVD, Memory Stick, Ipod and all other popular formats  wink

@TayoD

I can not run towards something that does not exist!

Nice story, but that is all it is!
Re: Replacing The Ten Commandments With 'Fundemental Rules Of Conduct' by eniola1310(f): 4:40pm On Dec 27, 2006
God is Patient!!

@Reverend
may God help u
Re: Replacing The Ten Commandments With 'Fundemental Rules Of Conduct' by Reverend(m): 4:52pm On Dec 27, 2006
eniola1310:

God is Patient!!
@Reverend
may God help u

How can he help me? Please elaborate, and what is wrong in bringing the rules into line with the modern World in which we live? As for being patient, that is quite an easy trait for a pretend person to have grin

A non religious set of rules that everybody can adhere to cheesy

No mumbo Jumbo magic or brim and firestone, lightning bolts and fire filled pits, just plain common sense smiley
Re: Replacing The Ten Commandments With 'Fundemental Rules Of Conduct' by mrpataki(m): 7:25pm On Dec 27, 2006
eniola1310:

God is Patient!!

@Reverend
may God help u

Help Who??
There is a way that seemeth right unto a man but the end thereof is utter destruction!
Wide is the roadpath to perdition!

The decision is his to make and know that no matter what you do, you cannot hide from God!
Re: Replacing The Ten Commandments With 'Fundemental Rules Of Conduct' by Reverend(m): 7:42pm On Dec 27, 2006
'seemeth right unto a man'

'the end thereof is utter destruction!'

'Wide is the roadpath to perdition!'

That is why we need the re-write the rules and cut out this religious nonsense and clap trap. Why do you use medieval English to make your points? What can you not stop all this jiggery pokery Harry Potter talk and speak English?

Modern English, English that has not come out of a fairy tale book  tongue

The decision is his to make and know that no matter what you do, you cannot hide from God!

That is true, you can not hide from somebody that does not exist,  It is a pointless game  tongue

Why don't you just suggest a few laws that could be written into a non religious code of practice. That is what this thread is all about and that was the question  undecided

Why do you feel the need to start your pointless attacks again?

You are off topic again as always and you are flaming the thread  undecided
Re: Replacing The Ten Commandments With 'Fundemental Rules Of Conduct' by obedz(m): 10:26pm On Dec 27, 2006
@reverenhd,
i think no 10 sud be DO NOT STEAL FROM A LEAKING PIPELINE
Re: Replacing The Ten Commandments With 'Fundemental Rules Of Conduct' by Reverend(m): 10:40pm On Dec 27, 2006
obedz:

@reverenhd,
i think no 10 sud be DO NOT STEAL FROM A LEAKING PIPELINE

I think that is covered by the following of the new rules:

3. Do not steal.
4. Do not destroy another's property.
5. Do not lie or cheat.
8. Do not pollute the planet, for we all share it.
9. Obey the laws and ordinances of the community. If you do not agree with them, work to change them rather than disobeying them.

Maybe we could make a new subsection and ruling for gasoline thieves!

Thou shalt not smoke near a leaking high pressure pipeline lipsrsealed
Thou shalt wear Nike trainers and learn how to run quickly lipsrsealed
Re: Replacing The Ten Commandments With 'Fundemental Rules Of Conduct' by Grouppoint(m): 6:25pm On Feb 07, 2007
@Reverend.
I thought you were the kinky rev who talked about Jesus and mary magdalene or something.

Now it appears that you dont believe in God.

What next?
Re: Replacing The Ten Commandments With 'Fundemental Rules Of Conduct' by PoDeep(m): 8:40pm On Feb 07, 2007
Reverend,u are a subject to the antichrist.STOP TRYING TO IMPOSE UR UNGODLINESS ON OTHERS!!!You just want to provoke Christians to make us fuss & cuss instead of spreading the gospel but that won't work,u heard?IT WON'T WORK.
Re: Replacing The Ten Commandments With 'Fundemental Rules Of Conduct' by mrmayor(m): 1:02pm On Mar 04, 2007
Po Deep,

Which of the[b] Fundemantal Rules[/b] is Anti Christ?
Re: Replacing The Ten Commandments With 'Fundemental Rules Of Conduct' by gbadex1(m): 1:20pm On Mar 04, 2007
@ mrmayor:

the ones which states that you shall worship any GOD and then "Keep your religion to yourself". That's Anti-Christlike and self-contradictory.

On one hand, he proposes they should not be service/worship to a Deity- in other words, No religion whatsoever , and on the other he goes ahead to propose one should keep to his or her own religion. It begs the question of how in #12, one must keep to their religion, when in #10 one must not have a God?

Those 2 laws are simple: you may practice religion (assuming Christianity) if you want to, but don't acknowledge the presence of a God. That is the very spirit of the Anti-Christ.
Re: Replacing The Ten Commandments With 'Fundemental Rules Of Conduct' by mrmayor(m): 1:29pm On Mar 04, 2007
10.Do not have any God,not One.

12. keep your religion to yourself.

These two rules can be seen as contradictory but hardly Anti-Christ.Reverend is not opposing any religion,all he is saying that he does see any need for a God or Gods in simple rules.These rules exist in all societies especially in African societies before Christianity.
Re: Replacing The Ten Commandments With 'Fundemental Rules Of Conduct' by gbadex1(m): 1:38pm On Mar 04, 2007
sorry mrmayor, typo error! I meant to say "the ones that state one must NOT worship any GOD"
Re: Replacing The Ten Commandments With 'Fundemental Rules Of Conduct' by gbadex1(m): 1:54pm On Mar 04, 2007
mayorman (pls permit me to use that word):

you don't seem to get my point. The point/basis is not in the contradiction itself, but in the fact that he proposes no acknowledgment of a God while playing the "religion" card. Keynote about the Anti-Christ in the book of Revelations is that he calls for the unification of religion/ the non-preaching of religion and yet the non Acknowledgement of a Deity. The Rev also made another statement probably attesting to Po Deep calling his views Anti-Christ like. I'll provide those later.

Either these or Po Deep taking into account Reverend's many heretical and blasphemeous statements made against Christianity across the board.
Re: Replacing The Ten Commandments With 'Fundemental Rules Of Conduct' by mrmayor(m): 3:39pm On Mar 04, 2007
gbade.x,

Personally I think that good old Reverend is here to have some fun and I see where he is coming from.I can't accept your charge of Blasphemy,for that charge to hold,you have to prove that there is infact a God.
For a charge of Blasphemy ( Sin Against God ) to hold, there has to be a charge against God for neglecting those he calls his children.
Re: Replacing The Ten Commandments With 'Fundemental Rules Of Conduct' by gbadex1(m): 8:45pm On Mar 04, 2007
@mrmayor:

Actually you're wrong about the "God neglecting His Children" part. Blasphemy comes forth from unbelief and not that assertion. Unbelief fueled from a personal hatred/disposition for an ideology/religion/Deity.
Re: Replacing The Ten Commandments With 'Fundemental Rules Of Conduct' by mrmayor(m): 12:43am On Mar 05, 2007
If God was taking care of his children as people of faith would claim,then there shouldn't be all the suffering in the world especially to babies born with deformities and all kinds of diseases.Babies born already inflicted with pain and we are supposed to believe that its because of the sins of their parents "punishment of the innocent because of their parents" or because the the devil.
Re: Replacing The Ten Commandments With 'Fundemental Rules Of Conduct' by Tasma: 11:52am On Mar 05, 2007
Interesting topic. It is true the most of the "laws" in religious books make common sense. It would help to follow the rules because the laws are beneficial to us rather than out of fear of eternal damnation.

It's also interesting to see how threatening these ideas seem to be to some other persons. When people get mad at others points of view it's unsually a reflection of some sort of unease or insecurity in themselves. Otherwise it should be easy to simply state their own point of view without resorting to personal attacks.
Re: Replacing The Ten Commandments With 'Fundemental Rules Of Conduct' by mrpataki(m): 12:23pm On Mar 05, 2007
Tasma:

It's also interesting to see how threatening these ideas seem to be to some other persons. When people get mad at others points of view it's unsually a reflection of some sort of unease or insecurity in themselves. Otherwise it should be easy to simply state their own point of view without resorting to personal attacks.

I use to hold this above view of yours in my early postings here, but now I know better!
Re: Replacing The Ten Commandments With 'Fundemental Rules Of Conduct' by gbadex1(m): 9:00pm On Mar 06, 2007
@mrmayor:

once again, i'll have to disagree with what you said.

God doesn't abandon people, it's people that abandon Him. Suffering comes as a result of stepping out of His Will. By so doing, they sin.

Blasphemy doesn't arise from that assertion of yours. Blasphemous statements are made if there is an unbelief of a particular religion/doctrine usually fueled by utter dislike/hate for that religion/doctrine.

PS: in the case of doctrine, it is rather a case of Heresy though at times it could also be Blasphemy.

(1) (Reply)

Where Did Jesus Get His Name / Guided By The Spirit Of Truth / Deja Vu: Please I Need Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.