Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,752 members, 7,817,082 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:49 AM

Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? (42561 Views)

No Ethnic Group Can Beat The Fulani, The largest Ethnic Group In Nigeria - Bello / How We Made Anambra Nigeria’s 4th Largest Economy — Gov Obiano / Anambra, 4th Largest State GDP In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by jbhitler(m): 10:33am On Oct 10, 2016
the ijaws are the fourth.I am not talking of historical relations. look at this way.in delta state,the Ijaws have five local governments.namely,burutu,bomadi,patani and warri south west that they share with Itsekiris with massive populations.burutu alone produces two house of assembly members.then bayelsa as whole is Ijaw.from here,let's move to rivers.the ijaws are the majority,occupying the whole riverine area in the state.then in edo state,there ijaws.in ondo state,where Kingsley kuku,a former adviser to president GEJ on amnesty hail from is all occupied by the Ijaws.in all these mentioned states,they have good numbers and are well represented politically. the Tivs are only represented in Benue state.in Taraba,plateau and nasarawa state,they just got few hamlets.for instance,Dooshima in plateau state,Danacha in Taraba state.am not sure of a town in nasarawa state.but then,the TIV's are more populated than the Urhorobos.the urhobos are only in delta central senatorial district in delta state,a community in bayelsa state called Ofoni and may be edo state but not too sure.so the order should be,ijaws,tivs,urhobos etc.thank you.I am from delta state,born in Taraba state,brought up in Benue state schooled in Enugu state and served in kwara state.so I have good knowledge of the people around these areas.

5 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Atyodos: 10:34am On Oct 10, 2016
Tiv
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by calyto: 10:34am On Oct 10, 2016
The 4th is Tiv.
They are the majority tribe in Benue.
They are also in Taraba and Nasarawa

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by watchindelta(m): 10:35am On Oct 10, 2016
too bad Nigerian history na guess guess undecided country with forged history n lies no wonder no direction shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by wiseoneking: 10:36am On Oct 10, 2016
Igboid:

No, the deputy governor is not Igbo. Those Kogi people do have Igbo sounding names.
Your are wrong, go back to the history. Kogi people of Igala tribe got a lot with Igbos.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by ritababe(f): 10:36am On Oct 10, 2016
riddler4real:

They are some yoruba affiliate ethnic groups in Edo state for your information. They are called akoko edo.... they bare yoruba names and also some communities before okada township that are of yoruba kinship I can't remember the name but I have met with them. So don't allow ignorance blind you my dear.

The yoruba race is the largest in Nigeria.... that extends from the south to the north. No other tribe have such expense....

bros na wa to you oh, how you go just baptise us say we be Yoruba at once, there is God oh abeg we are not.

2 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by saintdennis(m): 10:37am On Oct 10, 2016
How can nigeria grow when every ethnic group claims independence?

Esan, igarra and all other ethnic groups In parts of ondo, delta, anambra, lagos, bayelsa all fall under the 'benin(edo) speaking group. Thus the main ethnic group is benin(edo) and sub-ethnic group are various.

Now ikwerres, aniomas, ngwa etc are all sub-ethnic group under the igbo banner

Even some the igbo ethnic group are rumoured to have been an offshoot of another tribe /ethnic group(which due to NL tensions I won't mention)

The fulanis were not 'indigenous to naija but Mali, Senegal but after successful conquering and absorbtion are now firmly rooted in naija.

Like some1 here asserted who told nigerians we have 200+ ethnic groups? If not the british?

It's double-standard for diff sections of the country to be dissing Lugard n the brits yet accept the actions, narratives and propaganda of the brits that favour them as true.

2 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by emerged01(m): 10:40am On Oct 10, 2016
vRendoh:

My Guy... you never go school one day before.....kukuma start afresh... no shame! LOL one love!!

grin good advice. I no mind if you go sponsor me

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by praxs(m): 10:42am On Oct 10, 2016
NafeesaAA:
The 4th largest ethnic group is Kanuri. They are dominant in Borno, Yobe and found in considerable numbers in Jigawa, Adamawa and Nassarawa.
Big lie. Not a single kanuri from adamawa. Am from adamawa state

2 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Sicillian: 10:44am On Oct 10, 2016
handzomee:

Yeah,Edo are yorubas in history
Who's dis clown... keep dreaming

2 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:48am On Oct 10, 2016
before people stop arguing out of ignorance over yoruba and Delta, maybe they should take a minute and look at the map of Nigeria, look at the south coast from ondo to bayelsa.

When you realise the proximity of these locations to yoruba land, and the fact that the Fulanis you call Nigerians today were not in Nigeria a few hundred years ago, it's not difficult to realise that there are people from the SS who may not be classed as Yorubas today because they are not part of present Yoruba states but are yoruba in origin, they may have been migrants.

If you go back far enough, everybody is a migrant.

5 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Tamakay(m): 10:48am On Oct 10, 2016
I can't really tell but it will be appropriate if a researcher make a detail research about the Ijaws and Tivs in this respect.
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by mangojuice(m): 10:48am On Oct 10, 2016
oloshi. no yoruba in Delta State
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by mangojuice(m): 10:50am On Oct 10, 2016
zombie! you never hear people referred to as " Delta Igbo"? Ikwerre, etche, ndoni them no be igbos?
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by ODVanguard: 10:52am On Oct 10, 2016
iamhorny:

you sound pained

by the way, were you expecting me to refer to the doctored Nigerian population census starting from 1952-53 which was manipulated by britain to favour the hausa fulani in their quest for the control of power/resources through having more representative seat?.

read this if you care..http://saharareporters.com/2013/12/10/debunked-harold-smith-nigeria-census-lies

The 1920/1921 figures are the most accurate census we have had..as for lumping other etnic group with the igbo, the colonial masters are not as ignorant as you assume. they know each and every distinct ethnic group...

pix 1 is a map of igbo land in 1902, show me a part of it that is not an igbo area

pix 2/3(cont) is showing the igbo sub groupings, in 1920, also show me a part of the igbo tribes listed that are not igbo

This why i love nairaland,it has been a source of education for me, hence i was forced to register. i use to be an observer since 2011 and i have learnt alot from people here especially Nigeria's history

Lol. You had to go all the way back to the 1920s, why?? cheesy Because they fit into your jaundiced assertion. Igbos of the present day SE and part SS have the LEAST population in Nigeria TODAY of the 3 major tribes! Prove otherwise with verifiable data or forever shut tha fvck up. No sensible person is buying your bullcrap.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by gebest: 10:52am On Oct 10, 2016
riddler4real:

I am yoruba from Kogi state. My dialect is quite different from the core yoruba language. I bare both yoruba names and surname. Our languages are different but we share a common heritage (cultural values) that is noticeable in our names. In this part of the world there is so much attached to names that u can ever know. It's one of the few evidence that we share similar heritage. My language is very similar to itsekiri....

There is a township within the boundaries of Edo state just after Ore in Ondo state. I can't remember the name but their version of yoruba is quite similar to mine also. The township is before okada when coming from Ore road..... I have been there on one occasion.

Whether you like it or not..... The yoruba heritage extends to some parts of the south south..... it's quite unfortunate we don't have monunental historical records other than the names we bare in our respective society.

u mean OFOSU?
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by lekkie073(m): 10:52am On Oct 10, 2016
Ugomba:
@OP. There are NO Yorubas in South South.
Kanuri are the 4th largest tribe in Nigeria.
which kanuri?
ijaws r larger than kanuris
kanuri r not even occupying 30% of borno state
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by erayo2GCA(m): 10:53am On Oct 10, 2016
Ugomba:
stop getting emotional.
There are NO yorubas in south south.

Stop showing your ignorance to the world..go to ososo, Ibilo and igara all in Edo north, there are yorubas there.

2 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by praxs(m): 10:55am On Oct 10, 2016
Shikena

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Okudiover(m): 10:56am On Oct 10, 2016
Bekwarra:

So I thought until a couple of days back when I was listening to a news report on AIT where the reporter made mention of Tiv as the 4th largest ethnic group in Nigeria with a strong presence in Benue, Taraba, Nassarawa and Plateau states.

In all studies previous and present Ijaw remains the 4th largest with presence in ondo, Edo, delta, rivers, bayelsa and akwa Ibom
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by OROSUNBOLB(m): 10:59am On Oct 10, 2016
afroniger:

You never hear of Olukumi people in Delta State??

And the Itshekiri.

3 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by jayrule(m): 11:00am On Oct 10, 2016
mulattoclaroo:
what igbos in Edo or Rivers? I can see you're an igbo man under a different moniker. Igbos are migrants to South South.

Olodo, you are the ICT dude who deliberately changed riversstate.gov.ng website to .net.ng right? All in the name to remove Igbo.

Anyways, I have bad news for you. There are Igbos in Rivers state and Ika in Edo are Igbos too. Oya go and pieces yourself.

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:00am On Oct 10, 2016
erayo2GCA:

Stop showing your ignorance to the world..go to ososo, Ibilo and igara all in Edo north, there are yorubas there.

Even the Olu of warri publicy stated publicly at his coronation that he is a descendant of Oduduwa and somebody who the government did not teach history in school is coming online arguing based on what some politician has bombarded his head with.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Afonjas: 11:01am On Oct 10, 2016
iamhorny:

Base on what Nigeria told you, after the civil war as part of their marginalization(revenue sharing through state creation) and operation hold igbo down agenda.. but well researched demographers and scholars know the truth.

Am not here to argue with you and am not igbo if you may know and for your info,there is nothing like Hausa/fulani. you are either Hausa or fulani. hausa/fulani word is a scam cos they are two distinct ethnic groups. Hausa don't even understand fulfulde language.

if i may ask,is there any ethnic group as tiv/idoma or igbo/ibibio or benin/ijaw, Egbira/igala? Nigerians as not as educated as they think. they are the best in world geography and demography but the poorest in their history, demography and geography. The most educated Nigerians in that regards to me are the igbos and fulani because they are the most travelled within Nigeria hence they understand Nigeria outside their homeland
thank you for this eye opening...
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by SAHACO(m): 11:05am On Oct 10, 2016
topsyking:
1. yoruba
2.hausa
3.niger delta
4.IBO
Must you alway show that you didn't attend school, where and when did nigerdelta become an enthic group in Nigeria ?

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Sicillian: 11:07am On Oct 10, 2016
erayo2GCA:

Sharap and stop making false claims, the places u mentioned might have languages similar to Yoruba but it doesn't necessarily mean they are yoruba, they don't have any cultural affiliation with with ur tribe. get out to off south south and go find ur lost brodas up north... the SS squarely belongs to the Southerners

2 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Sicillian: 11:10am On Oct 10, 2016
SAHACO:
Must you alway show that you didn't attend school, where and when did nigerdelta become an enthic group in Nigeria ?
kikiki... lolz grin
SAHACO:
kikiki... lolz
Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by asamaigho(m): 11:14am On Oct 10, 2016
DozieInc:
The Ijaws can be found in Rivers, Bayelsa, Delta, Edo, Ondo, Lagos and Ogun states.
APAPA is an Ijaw word... FACT.
I think Ijaw is the 4th largest group in Nigeria.

Apapa is a word in virtually all languages in nigeria. So dont limit it to ijaw.

2 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by tommynico(m): 11:16am On Oct 10, 2016
Am a yoruba from ondo state, ilaje to be precise and i wuld affirm that yes the ijaws are here, although with an insignificant population as they share their local gov't (ese-odo) with the APOIS who are also partly yorubas. But as regards which is the fourth largest ethnicity in naija, i don't knw but i wuld simply say it should be between the tivs and ijaws. The yorubas has the longest stretch in nigeria, starting from lagos down to the delta region with some little subgroups, going northwards, we have kwara nd some parts of kogi, going further to the west, we constitute a significant population in benin republic and making an estimation of the total population ranges btw 45mln to 60mln yorubas in the whole of west africa. In nigeria alone, the yorubas occuppies 7 states (LAGOS, OYO, OGUN, OSUN, ONDO, EKITI, and KWARA) and some parts of kogi, delta, and edo states. If not for the corruption in this country, the hausa-fulani group shuld not av bn up to the 29% the claim to have of the population but shuld be 22% to 23%. The ibos comes third in the overall ranking, though they constitute a significant percentage of the delta region but i won't agree to the 40% mark, i wuld say maybe 20% to 25% of the region.

9 Likes

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Rozaystunna(m): 11:17am On Oct 10, 2016
topsyking:
1. yoruba
2.hausa
3.niger delta
4.IBO
you be slowpoke!!! Lol

1 Like

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by Afonjas: 11:20am On Oct 10, 2016
SharkTank:

Is Niger Delta a tribe? I don't understand some of you these days. Hausa as a single tribe, that is without attaching Fulani, doesn't have a higher population than Igbo. The only tribe than is more than Igbo is probably Yoruba and that's cos we lost 2 million persons in the civil war
BBC said it's 1 million, of course they won't tell the world what dey did to us, so leave that thing you're reading on wikipedia, we lost between 3 million and 3.5 million persons in the war, even now Yoruba people are not more than Igbos, Nigeria is still playing politice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Ethnic Group Is The 4th Largest In Nigeria? by garokabir: 11:21am On Oct 10, 2016
Fulani are fourth national ethnic group and number one in africa

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Olusegun Obasanjo, Peter Obi Meet At Lagos Airport / Jonathan Campaigns In Rivers, As The People Troop Out En Mass / Implications Of Tinubu's Visits To Amaechi, Yahaya Bello, Osinbajo And Umahi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.