Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,276 members, 7,815,468 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:48 PM

Re: The Mysterious GM Chevrolet Stalling Issues Solved - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Re: The Mysterious GM Chevrolet Stalling Issues Solved (1286 Views)

Watch GM Korea Employees Storm And Destroy CEO's Office After Bonuses Cut / Stalling In Manual Cars And Their Solutions / GM To Release Cars With No Steering Wheel In 2019 (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Mysterious GM Chevrolet Stalling Issues Solved by TRYGO(m): 9:58pm On Oct 10, 2016
Hi, fellow car talk guys.
If you all could remember, some weeks ago, I posted a particular problem that was giving a client tremendous headaches, and how I went about solving that particular fault.
I would be bringing you guys, other issues that transpired, after I had carried our some drive cycles on the car, in rider for the ECU, to relearn what has being done.
Expect the updates later this week.

Regards,
TRYGO
PS: Pictures of the car, for your perusal.
Its a 3.4L engine V6...

Re: Re: The Mysterious GM Chevrolet Stalling Issues Solved by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:11pm On Oct 10, 2016
is the car for sale? wink
Re: Re: The Mysterious GM Chevrolet Stalling Issues Solved by TRYGO(m): 10:27pm On Oct 10, 2016
@GAZZUZZ. The car, isn't for sale o!
The owner nearly sold it, because if the frustrations he's being going through, but encouraged him to keep that car, and would try our best to fix the problem.
If in the near future, he decides to out for sale, would post it here.
Re: Re: The Mysterious GM Chevrolet Stalling Issues Solved by b2212(m): 1:58pm On Oct 12, 2016
TRYGO:
@GAZZUZZ. The car, isn't for sale o!
The owner nearly sold it, because if the frustrations he's being going through, but encouraged him to keep that car, and would try our best to fix the problem.
If in the near future, he decides to out for sale, would post it here.

what do you think could make a Chevrolet Astro consume fuel so much that the MPG reading is currently 7?
Re: Re: The Mysterious GM Chevrolet Stalling Issues Solved by TRYGO(m): 8:49pm On Oct 12, 2016
@b2212. Please do read my post ( Your car's consuming excessive fuel?). There, I explained the likely causes of fuel consumption there.
But asides that. Would want to know the history of that car. What have you done, when you noticed that sudden distortion in fuel MPG? Have mechanics done repairs on it recently? Those are the ??s I would want answers for, before we start. Any check engine lights, PRE that fault, or currently you've one on the dash?

Regards,
TRYGo
Re: Re: The Mysterious GM Chevrolet Stalling Issues Solved by honmusa(m): 8:22am On Oct 13, 2016
TRYGO:
If you all could remember, some weeks ago, I posted a particular problem that was giving a client tremendous headaches, and how I went about solving that particular fault.
I would be bringing you guys, other issues that transpired, after I had carried our some drive cycles on the car, in rider for the ECU, to relearn what has being done.

Regards,
TRYGO
Its a 3.4L engine V6...
Re: Re: The Mysterious GM Chevrolet Stalling Issues Solved by honmusa(m): 8:22am On Oct 13, 2016
TRYGO:

Regards,
TRYGO
Its a 3.4L engine V6...
Posting the picture of the car doesn't convey the reason the thread is created as if you are advertising car sale.
The picture that we want to see repair procedure ,scan DTC,live data of the spotted problem and a scan data showing the issue has been resolved.
We need to see the evidence not by mere saying it.
Re: Re: The Mysterious GM Chevrolet Stalling Issues Solved by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:31am On Oct 13, 2016
honmusa:

Posting the picture of the car doesn't convey the reason the thread is created as if you are advertising car sale.
The picture that we want to see repair procedure ,scan DTC,live data of the spotted problem and a scan data showing the issue has been resolved.
We need to see the evidence not by mere saying it.

grin grin grin grin

[size=1pt]watch out he is coming for you [/size]
Re: Re: The Mysterious GM Chevrolet Stalling Issues Solved by TRYGO(m): 10:26am On Oct 13, 2016
@mallam musa. You weren't following our threads initially. That's why you've got that misconception, or mindset.
As regard the pictures showing the car that way, sorry, for that "sales" feedback you've got in the pictures.
Getting live data, or....isn't something I did post here. I did all the troubleshooting, and fixed the car. So, I do understand what you're saying. Let me just assume thus is what you're thinking: " this guy just de put picture of work we no de sure him don fix". For this particular car, the customer wasn't interested in a live deed data(CEL) on or not.
Go through the videos, and you may perhaps get the clue of what we've done.

Thanks for pointing out that though.
PS: have a similar one with what you're requesting for that I have done.
Here's the link:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=890241904417957&id=767933589982123
Re: Re: The Mysterious GM Chevrolet Stalling Issues Solved by honmusa(m): 10:41am On Oct 13, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

grin grin grin grin

[size=1pt]watch out he is coming for you [/size]
The guy is a gentleman !!
Re: Re: The Mysterious GM Chevrolet Stalling Issues Solved by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:51am On Oct 13, 2016
honmusa:

The guy is a gentleman !!

Lucky you wink
Re: Re: The Mysterious GM Chevrolet Stalling Issues Solved by TRYGO(m): 10:58am On Oct 13, 2016
@mallam musa. If the job I did, was a code generated one, I would have get the scanned codes retrieved, and shown you the procedures I employed in cases like that. I just do really hope you watch that video.
Re: Re: The Mysterious GM Chevrolet Stalling Issues Solved by TRYGO(m): 11:17am On Oct 13, 2016
@gazzuzz. you're funny o! I came mildly.
Re: Re: The Mysterious GM Chevrolet Stalling Issues Solved by b2212(m): 11:44am On Oct 13, 2016
TRYGO:
@b2212. Please do read my post ( Your car's consuming excessive fuel?). There, I explained the likely causes of fuel consumption there.
But asides that. Would want to know the history of that car. What have you done, when you noticed that sudden distortion in fuel MPG? Have mechanics done repairs on it recently? Those are the ??s I would want answers for, before we start. Any check engine lights, PRE that fault, or currently you've one on the dash?

Regards,
TRYGo
I read d post. Only thing lacking is the air filter that has not been changed since purchase.
Only work done on vehicle so far has been oil change and spark plug change since purchase.
I have an evap code that causes the service engine soon light to be on.

Chevy astro 2002 model.
Re: Re: The Mysterious GM Chevrolet Stalling Issues Solved by TRYGO(m): 1:34pm On Oct 13, 2016
@b2212. Your information isn't complete pls.
You didn't provide engine capacity, whether its a 1.6, 1.8, or 1.4liter engine. You also didn't indicate if its a manual, or an auto drive. No mileage.
But I would be working on assuming the mileage should be 150, 000....., or so.

Info I have being able to deduce from your post are:
*oil change, spark plugs replaced, with the exception of the air filter
*evap system codes generated.

My questions?
* was this problem there when you bought the car, or it just started.
*and if the fault started recently, what has being done on the car after you discovered it has thus issue?

My suggestions:
Please add these info in addition to the ones you've read in the previous posts.

*Check the type if engine oil in that car. Almost all astra Opel's use synthetic or semi synthetic oils. This help the engine work more less in overcoming frictional forces within the internal engine internal parts. Such oils have a thin oil film on them, that helps the additive properties in them prevent the metal to metal contacts that would have being occurring in the engine.
When engine components such as crankshaft, camshafts, etc go through a lot of work in trying to overcome these stresses, tremendous amount of energy is generated, and that leads to the engine demanding for more FUEL.
Is just b2212 working an an establishment, and suddenly you're asked to expand your job functions. You'll definitely make a demand for a review if tour contract(no vex here).

*check that spark plug gap. If you have spark plugs with a wider than recommended air gap, the time required for the spark to be generated would be tremendously great. Therefore, during starting it takes time to start, and you'll notice that raw fuel would already be in the combustion chamber, but there isn't enough spark to ignite the fuel, to complete the stroke cycle. So, if the spark gap is out of spec, would suggest you replace those plugs, or gap then to the recommended size(some Toyota cars accept a spark gap of 1.1mm).
Do you have the old spark plugs you replaced? Compare the spark plug gap, using a filler gauge and see. If its out of spec, adjust the gap.

*check that air filter. if it isn't dirty, or clogged, your problem isn't in the filter.
Asides that. Check the intake duct of the air filter assembly, to see if its blocked. Sometimes, rats, and cobwebs enjoy such locations. So if your air filter isn't receiving the proper amount if metres air, the air/fuel ratio would never be at equilibrium. The cars ECU would definitely be commanding a steady increase in the injector pulse rate. Because the signals the ECU is getting from the air filter sensor, isn't properly metered, and its seeing a lean situation.

*check also the airflow sensor for dirts. If its dirty, do not use a carb cleaner to clean it up. Use a piece white handkerchief to remove any dirt. At least, that's how I clean for clients.

*check the electrical signal at the airflow sensor. Carryout power, ground, and signal tests at the connectors attached to the sensor. You should get battery voltage at the source, showing that current is getting to the component. Tour signal wire, should indicate 5volts. Any distortions in these values from the threshold, would cause issues such as you're facing now.
A bad ECU (Brain box), can also cause it. Reason being if any of the circuits on the electronic circuit boards has failed, there would be uncontrollable supply of fuel in to the combustion chamber. This is synonymous to over floating in carbureted systems.

*evap system codes, from my experience working on cars, hasn't caused bad MPG. The evap system comprises of the charcoal canister, fuel pressure vapor switch, etc. So, if for instance the vapor pressure switch is faulty, vapor from the fuel tank that are supposed to travel to the canister at either the front or rear, would send a wring signal to the ECU about its rate if movement, and the ECU sets up a code. I'm isolating the evap code in this scenario.

I do hope this info helps you some bit.
Awaiting the other info I requested from you soonest.

Regards
Re: Re: The Mysterious GM Chevrolet Stalling Issues Solved by honmusa(m): 2:29pm On Oct 13, 2016
TRYGO:
@mallam musa. If the job I did, was a code generated one, I would have get the scanned codes retrieved, and shown you the procedures I employed in cases like that. I just do really hope you watch that video.
No enough data to watch video ,somebody need to be managing the available data ones gotten this days ,this is a change era
@Gazzuzz ,abeg compress the video for me in 20kb wen u finish watching it
Re: Re: The Mysterious GM Chevrolet Stalling Issues Solved by Readonee35L(m): 3:44pm On Oct 13, 2016
I have this vehicle with same Engine.
2003 Chevrolet Venture Lt Long Wheel Base.
Very nice car when good.
Never experienced stalling issues.
But the car is a rust bucket . Keeps rusting.
My o2 sensors are gone.(heater bullshít)
No catalyst.
Dashboard displays all wheel drive disabled.
Aside all this she still moves fine. But consumes fuel like a whale . o2sensor issues anyway .
Its been parked for over 6months now.
Another known issue that mine has now is the Gear lever . I think it has pulled it .because the gear lever doesn't control the transmission anymore. It just runs freely. Its an easy fix also . but no time for the car
Re: Re: The Mysterious GM Chevrolet Stalling Issues Solved by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:11pm On Oct 13, 2016
honmusa:

No enough data to watch video ,somebody need to be managing the available data ones gotten this days ,this is a change era
@Gazzuzz ,abeg compress the video for me in 20kb wen u finish watching it

I don't touch old American models, but I can give them free consultation,
Re: Re: The Mysterious GM Chevrolet Stalling Issues Solved by TRYGO(m): 5:50pm On Oct 13, 2016
@readonee. You're right. That car has got lots of rust issues like you say, but still got power.
I concur with all what you've said though.
Re: Re: The Mysterious GM Chevrolet Stalling Issues Solved by Readonee35L(m): 8:01pm On Oct 13, 2016
TRYGO:
@readonee. You're right. That car has got lots of rust issues like you say, but still got power.
I concur with all what you've said though.

Nice one.
The Car has lots of torque and power .
It pulls like a v8.
Its kind of smarter than my pilot with a j35
Re: Re: The Mysterious GM Chevrolet Stalling Issues Solved by TRYGO(m): 8:07pm On Oct 13, 2016
@readonee. You're right. But it's more rigid and durable than a pilot.
Re: Re: The Mysterious GM Chevrolet Stalling Issues Solved by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:08pm On Oct 13, 2016
Readonee35L:

Nice one.
The Car has lots of torque and power .
It pulls like a v8.
Its kind of smarter than my pilot with a j35

Bro you have to let go, that vehicle is not buhari economy compliant.
Re: Re: The Mysterious GM Chevrolet Stalling Issues Solved by TRYGO(m): 8:12pm On Oct 13, 2016
@readonee. No be my car na. I just help fixed that car. That's all.
Re: Re: The Mysterious GM Chevrolet Stalling Issues Solved by Readonee35L(m): 8:16pm On Oct 13, 2016
TRYGO:
@readonee. You're right. But it's more rigid and durable than a pilot.
I doubt that .
The pilot has never for once died on the road. And its very reliable except for issues with rough idling I have every two months based on bad fuel.

That Chevrolet is the car of the devil.
It has died on the road for so many reasons.

Kick starter dieing without notice , car ended up sleeping by the road side. the kick started fails a lot .
But the thing is it has never had any engine or transmission issue.its more of the physical build.
Oh my bad it had an engine issue in the past .

One of the rocker arm in the engine got loose and was making noise like a knocking sound. Its a general issue on that engine world wide.
Tho the screw port was hellicoiled . and fitted with a bigger screw .

Also if you use wrong oil, you'd notice tapping sounds on cold start.
This cars engine seat also weakens like biscuit thrown in water. When you switch from park to drive it sounds like two stainless plate hiting each other
Lol.
I can write a lot of things about this car . but story for another day
Re: Re: The Mysterious GM Chevrolet Stalling Issues Solved by Readonee35L(m): 8:21pm On Oct 13, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Bro you have to let go, that vehicle is not buhari economy compliant.
The Car na executive oh .lol the AC na mortuary standard.
Oya Bring 1.2million make I dash you.
Buy and drive kiss
Re: Re: The Mysterious GM Chevrolet Stalling Issues Solved by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:26pm On Oct 13, 2016
Readonee35L:

The Car na executive oh .lol the AC na mortuary standard.
Oya Bring 1.2million make I dash you.
Buy and drive kiss

have you seen this thread? grin. https://www.nairaland.com/3405106/buy-accidental-old-used-cars

(1) (Reply)

Your Advice For Paymemt For A Car / Women Can't Drive Because They 'have A Quarter Of A Brain', Saudi Sheikh Says / Mercedes Benz C-class 2003 Toks For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.