Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,144 members, 7,821,898 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:15 PM

Stalling In Manual Cars And Their Solutions - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Stalling In Manual Cars And Their Solutions (4456 Views)

Are Manual Cars Faster Than Automatic Transmission Cars? / I Have Observe Two Ways People Drive Manual Cars. / "Why Manual Cars Are Better Than Automatic Cars" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stalling In Manual Cars And Their Solutions by AutoReportNG: 6:53pm On Apr 01, 2018
Driving a manual car has some unique perks. But, there are some problems too and car stalling issue is one of them. Every engine has an RPM (a.k.a. stalling speed) where it does not have enough power to overcome the pumping loss caused at the time of switching the engine on. The speed limit for this condition to occur varies from one model to another. However, it remains between 300 and 750 rpm for most vehicle

Clutch Mechanism of a Manual Transmission Car

Understanding how the clutch works is a vital part of figuring out why the manual transmission cars stall. The component has two solid discs and works as the connecting link between the engine and the gearbox. It links engine’s output to the transmission’s input shaft by creating a firm lock between them at a 1:1 ratio. It means that one turn of the engine will yield one turn of the input shaft.

You can disengage the clutch by depressing the pedal. It disconnects the discs from each other, allowing the engine to turn without affecting the transmission.

Why Does the Car Stalling Problem Occur?

Slowing down a manual car requires the engagement of the clutch, which locks the rpm of the engine and the wheel. The RMP ratio depends on the gear locked in the transmission.

When the car is about to stop, the wheel speed drops and closes to the car stalling speed limit. The engine will start to stall at this point as it has to struggle against the pumping loss and the resistance of the wheels and the drivetrain. When the car goes slower than that RPM limit, the engine stalls and fails to generate any power.

A fully-engaged clutch works as a bridge between the engine and transmission (and with the components of the drivetrain too). So, when the engine spins, it affects the wheels, axle, and transmission. If one component of this chain stops working, it will stall every other part connected to it unless the clutch is engaged. So, when you try to stop the car with an engaged clutch, the car will stop because the engine’s RPM will drop below the required speed limit.

How to Prevent the Car Stalling Issue?

There are two simple ways to solve this problem. They are:

Depressing the Clutch – It will break the lock between the engine and the transmission. It will prevent the car from stalling since the engine will work separately even if you stay in-gear.

Depressing and Releasing the Clutch – In this method, you will have to shift the gear to neutral after depressing the clutch. Then, you will need to release the clutch. Doing so will not break the connection between the engine and the transmission but the input shaft won’t be in touch with the output shaft or wheels because of the neutral gear. It will allow the engine to rotate without putting any impact on the transmission.

Source:
https://www.autoreportng.com/2018/04/these-are-reasons-why-your-car-stalls.html

Lalasticlala
Seun
Mynd44
Marpol
Ishilove

1 Like

Re: Stalling In Manual Cars And Their Solutions by AutoReportNG: 6:59pm On Apr 01, 2018
Whats your take?
Re: Stalling In Manual Cars And Their Solutions by nurey(m): 7:11pm On Apr 01, 2018
AutoReportNG:
Whats your take?

your heading doesn't allign with the discussion, you are talking about stalling in manual transmission not vehicles in general.

Besides, how many Nigerians would pick a 2017 C63 S with 7speed manual transmission. your guess is as good s mine 1%

2 Likes

Re: Stalling In Manual Cars And Their Solutions by AutoReportNG: 7:47pm On Apr 01, 2018
nurey:

your heading doesn't allign with the discussion, you are talking about stalling in manual transmission not vehicles in general.

Besides, how many Nigerians would pick a 2017 C63 S with 7speed manual transmission. your guess is as good s mine 1%

Adjusted... Thanks
Re: Stalling In Manual Cars And Their Solutions by Octaves(m): 2:02am On Apr 02, 2018
nurey:

many would pick a corolla or hilux with 6 speed manual though

3 Likes

Re: Stalling In Manual Cars And Their Solutions by AnodaIT(m): 5:47am On Apr 02, 2018
You can disengage the clutch by depressing the pedal.

I don't know why I'm stuck with this statement for two days now

Depressing the pedal should mean slamming it down, right? Which should engage the clutch

I'm about to get a manual car, first time , I need all the help
Re: Stalling In Manual Cars And Their Solutions by HoodBillionaire: 7:31am On Apr 03, 2018
abegi
manual cars are cheaper dats all.
clear road abegi
one hand driving tins
automatic all d way

1 Like

Re: Stalling In Manual Cars And Their Solutions by Exponental(m): 7:44am On Apr 03, 2018
Can you explain in Kazeem's language. cos many people here patronize Kazeems!

1 Like

Re: Stalling In Manual Cars And Their Solutions by ironheart(m): 7:48am On Apr 03, 2018
Bad fuel pump
Light weight flywheel (personal experience)
Bad MAP sensor
Leaking air hose

I drive a manual car n i love it
Re: Stalling In Manual Cars And Their Solutions by eherbal(m): 8:25am On Apr 03, 2018
HoodBillionaire:
abegi
clear road abegi
one hand driving tins
automatic all d way
automatics are meant for handicapped peeps.complete men drive stick.word

3 Likes

Re: Stalling In Manual Cars And Their Solutions by eherbal(m): 8:26am On Apr 03, 2018
ironheart:
Bad fuel pump Light weight flywheel (personal experience) Bad MAP sensor Leaking air hose
#teamstick
Re: Stalling In Manual Cars And Their Solutions by arantess: 8:36am On Apr 03, 2018
eherbal:
kaii, Oga savage
Re: Stalling In Manual Cars And Their Solutions by nwaanambra1(m): 8:43am On Apr 03, 2018
eherbal:

wicked!! cheesy

but sha truth be told. if its not stick it can never be fun!

no feeling is as sweet as shifting from one - upgrading to two as edey hot and moving to 3 as e still dey fire! settling at 4 and deciding on 5!
nice feelings men! nice feeling! cool

5 Likes

Re: Stalling In Manual Cars And Their Solutions by Shroud: 9:21am On Apr 03, 2018
Honestly I ended up with more questions than answers after reading this article .

1 Like

Re: Stalling In Manual Cars And Their Solutions by CharleyBright(m): 10:05am On Apr 03, 2018
HoodBillionaire:
abegi
clear road abegi
one hand driving tins
automatic all d way

Mumu talk. You are comparing yourself with people that drive Automatic cars?
People that drive automatic cars cant say they are Real Drivers.
Give an Automatic Car Driver a Manual car they will tell you they can't drive the car.
And to such people, I say go and learn how to " Drive a Car" because you only know how to "move a car" which even a toddler can do by mere keeping his/ her leg on acceleration pedal.

So you may know, the Primary idea behind making Automatic cars was to ease the issue of engaging gears for handicaps and "seemingly lazy women" who found engaging gears cumbersome. Over time, more and more lazy men like you( who can't drive) have found solace in Automatic cars.
Any day, any time I will choose a Manual Car over an Automatic.
I have and feel a sense of power and control over the car when I engage gears.... That's Manly pride which Lazy Automatic drivers can never have.

3 Likes

Re: Stalling In Manual Cars And Their Solutions by Bomoobacom(m): 10:15am On Apr 03, 2018
Driving a manual car get one kine feeling of satisfaction you can never get in automatic.....

Meanwhile if you stay in OSOGBO or IBADAN and need a driving school to learn (Both Manual and Automatic), or you already know how to drive buh need a driving school certificate at the lowest rate ever ...

visit us at

KOMOLAFE DRIVING SCHOOL, Mosodun building, Alekuwodo Area, Osogbo, Osun State

or

KOMOLAFE DRIVING SCHOOL, No 47, Awolowo Avenue, Old Bodija, Ibadan, Oyo State

call us on 08133520041, 08118410868

Whatsapp: 08168832871

FRSC/GOVT APPROVED.
Re: Stalling In Manual Cars And Their Solutions by HoodBillionaire: 10:17am On Apr 03, 2018
be like say u neva sleep inside traffic before
dey dia dry rant.
CharleyBright:

Mumu talk. You are comparing yourself with people that drive Automatic cars?
People that drive automatic cars cant say they are Real Drivers.
Give an Automatic Car Driver a Manual car they will tell you they can't drive the car.
And to such people, I say go and learn how to " Drive a Car" because you only know how to "move a car" which even a toddler can do by mere keeping his/ her leg on acceleration pedal.

So you may know, the Primary idea behind making Automatic cars was to ease the issue of engaging gears for handicaps and "seemingly lazy women" who found engaging gears cumbersome. Over time, more and more lazy men like you( who can't drive) have found solace in Automatic cars.
Any day, any time I will choose a Manual Car over an Automatic.
I have and feel a sense of power and control over the car when I engage gears.... That's Manly pride which Lazy Automatic drivers can never have.

Re: Stalling In Manual Cars And Their Solutions by babatee1985(m): 10:23am On Apr 03, 2018
HoodBillionaire:
abegi manual cars are cheaper dats all. clear road abegi one hand driving tins automatic all d way
Indomie generation driver spotted
Re: Stalling In Manual Cars And Their Solutions by oriewanbe: 11:31am On Apr 03, 2018
ironheart:
Bad fuel pump
Light weight flywheel (personal experience)
Bad MAP sensor
Leaking air hose

nothing new in d OP post, they just normal driving techniques. You nailed it. Too low RPM at idle can also cause stalling.

1 Like

Re: Stalling In Manual Cars And Their Solutions by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 1:07pm On Apr 03, 2018
AutoReportNG:
Driving a manual car has some unique perks. But, there are some problems too and car stalling issue is one of them. Every engine has an RPM (a.k.a. stalling speed) where it does not have enough power to overcome the pumping loss caused at the time of switching the engine on. The speed limit for this condition to occur varies from one model to another. However, it remains between 300 and 750 rpm for most vehicle

Clutch Mechanism of a Manual Transmission Car

Understanding how the clutch works is a vital part of figuring out why the manual transmission cars stall. The component has two solid discs and works as the connecting link between the engine and the gearbox. It links engine’s output to the transmission’s input shaft by creating a firm lock between them at a 1:1 ratio. It means that one turn of the engine will yield one turn of the input shaft.

You can disengage the clutch by depressing the pedal. It disconnects the discs from each other, allowing the engine to turn without affecting the transmission.

Why Does the Car Stalling Problem Occur?

Slowing down a manual car requires the engagement of the clutch, which locks the rpm of the engine and the wheel. The RMP ratio depends on the gear locked in the transmission.

When the car is about to stop, the wheel speed drops and closes to the car stalling speed limit. The engine will start to stall at this point as it has to struggle against the pumping loss and the resistance of the wheels and the drivetrain. When the car goes slower than that RPM limit, the engine stalls and fails to generate any power.

A fully-engaged clutch works as a bridge between the engine and transmission (and with the components of the drivetrain too). So, when the engine spins, it affects the wheels, axle, and transmission. If one component of this chain stops working, it will stall every other part connected to it unless the clutch is engaged. So, when you try to stop the car with an engaged clutch, the car will stop because the engine’s RPM will drop below the required speed limit.

How to Prevent the Car Stalling Issue?

There are two simple ways to solve this problem. They are:

Depressing the Clutch – It will break the lock between the engine and the transmission. It will prevent the car from stalling since the engine will work separately even if you stay in-gear.

Depressing and Releasing the Clutch – In this method, you will have to shift the gear to neutral after depressing the clutch. Then, you will need to release the clutch. Doing so will not break the connection between the engine and the transmission but the input shaft won’t be in touch with the output shaft or wheels because of the neutral gear. It will allow the engine to rotate without putting any impact on the transmission.

Source:
https://www.autoreportng.com/2018/04/these-are-reasons-why-your-car-stalls.html

Lalasticlala
Seun
Mynd44
Marpol
Ishilove
this is not the issue bro.... The issue is how to move a manual car that is at a full stand still (maybe due to traffic light) on a slope without the car rolling backwards and bashing the car behind you? This is one thing I'm yet to learn to do effectively in a manual. I always pray I don't have to pass by a sloppy area with traffic.
Re: Stalling In Manual Cars And Their Solutions by arantess: 1:33pm On Apr 03, 2018
INDUSTRIALFAN:
this is not the issue bro.... The issue is how to move a manual car that is at a full stand still (maybe due to traffic light) on a slope without the car rolling backwards and bashing the car behind you? This is one thing I'm yet to learn to do effectively in a manual. I always pray I don't have to pass by a sloppy area with traffic.
What I do
Engage ur hand brake
Clutch down when its time to move
Engage ur gear and accelerate a little
Disengage handbrake

Alternatively
Just use ur clutch as a kind of brake(can't remember the technical name) while u rev ur engine, but this pattern wears ur clutch out
Re: Stalling In Manual Cars And Their Solutions by Octaves(m): 2:48pm On Apr 03, 2018
INDUSTRIALFAN:
you will get better with time. just keep practicing
Re: Stalling In Manual Cars And Their Solutions by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 6:11pm On Apr 03, 2018
arantess:

What I do
Engage ur hand brake
Clutch down when its time to move
Engage ur gear and accelerate a little
Disengage handbrake

Alternatively
Just use ur clutch as a kind of brake(can't remember the technical name) while u rev ur engine, but this pattern wears ur clutch out
I'll try that of d hand Break.... Tnx boss
Re: Stalling In Manual Cars And Their Solutions by ironheart(m): 4:56pm On Apr 04, 2018
eherbal:
#teamstick

Your head dey there

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Land Rover Range Rover versus LRs.....please advise / SOLD SOLD SOLD!!! Tokunbo 2006 Sienna Must Sell 1.8m Whatsapp: 08036168946 / Frequent Fan Belt Cut

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.