Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,381 members, 7,836,545 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:41 AM

Help! I Gave My Chicks Drugs For Coccidiosis And They Have Become Dull - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Help! I Gave My Chicks Drugs For Coccidiosis And They Have Become Dull (3676 Views)

Please Help! My Chicks Legs Are Getting Bent Day By Day!! / Coccidiosis In Poultry / My Chicks Are Going Blind. Pictures Attached (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! I Gave My Chicks Drugs For Coccidiosis And They Have Become Dull by kayo80(m): 8:04am On Oct 11, 2016
Please help me, I noticed one of my chicks pooping blood, so I gave all of them drugs for coccidiosis yesterday, and now they are all dull. What do you feel is wrong?
Re: Help! I Gave My Chicks Drugs For Coccidiosis And They Have Become Dull by kayo80(m): 8:26am On Oct 11, 2016
Please, someone should help with an answer to my problem. Thanks in advance.
Re: Help! I Gave My Chicks Drugs For Coccidiosis And They Have Become Dull by apexquest(m): 12:09pm On Oct 11, 2016
what drug did u administer??

1 Like

Re: Help! I Gave My Chicks Drugs For Coccidiosis And They Have Become Dull by obiZEAL(m): 2:22pm On Oct 11, 2016
It could be that the dose was much...and hope u gave them vitamin afterwards.
I guess IdisuleOurOwn can help
Re: Help! I Gave My Chicks Drugs For Coccidiosis And They Have Become Dull by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 2:42pm On Oct 11, 2016
obiZEAL:

I believe he can get help here. @kayo80 follow this link .... www.nairaland.com/6407160/starting-poultry-farm-blog/221#50104032.

How are your birds doing? How much is for layer mash (top feed) in your are presently?

1 Like

Re: Help! I Gave My Chicks Drugs For Coccidiosis And They Have Become Dull by kayo80(m): 6:53pm On Oct 11, 2016
IdisuleOurOwn:

I believe he can get help here. @kayo80 follow this link .... www.nairaland.com/6407160/starting-poultry-farm-blog/221#50104032.

How are your birds doing? How much is for layer mash (top feed) in your are presently?

My birds are doing fine now, thank you. I don't know about Layers Mash price, as I don't deal in Layers...only Noilers.
Re: Help! I Gave My Chicks Drugs For Coccidiosis And They Have Become Dull by Jofez: 7:06pm On Oct 11, 2016
kayo80:
Please help me, I noticed one of my chicks pooping blood, so I gave all of them drugs for coccidiosis yesterday, and now they are all dull. What do you feel is wrong?
the drug you administered, dosage and how long did you use it? Hope you checked the expiary date

1 Like

Re: Help! I Gave My Chicks Drugs For Coccidiosis And They Have Become Dull by kayo80(m): 7:17pm On Oct 11, 2016
Jofez:
the drug you administered, dosage and how long did you use it? Hope you checked the expiary date

I just started using it yesterday afternoon. I put it in their water, and when they finished it, I gave them ordinary water. I did the same this morning. And yea, I checked the expiry date- 09/17. Anyway, they okay now. Thanks. I guess I gave them overdose.
Re: Help! I Gave My Chicks Drugs For Coccidiosis And They Have Become Dull by kayo80(m): 7:18pm On Oct 11, 2016
obiZEAL:

No I didn't. I actually wanted to do that, but I thought, medically, there might be a problem. I will give them Vitamins tomorrow. Thanks.
Re: Help! I Gave My Chicks Drugs For Coccidiosis And They Have Become Dull by kayo80(m): 7:19pm On Oct 11, 2016
apexquest:
what drug did u administer??

Coxstop.
Re: Help! I Gave My Chicks Drugs For Coccidiosis And They Have Become Dull by obiZEAL(m): 7:33pm On Oct 11, 2016
IdisuleOurOwn:

they are fine boss...I got 10.5 today
Don't know how much for top feed...I use Livestock feed... Its 2620 per bag now
Re: Help! I Gave My Chicks Drugs For Coccidiosis And They Have Become Dull by Turks: 8:19pm On Oct 11, 2016
Please don't give such birds vitamins. Birds with coccidiosis shouldn't be given vitamins as you're doing more harm than good. Give plain water instead while they recover. Vitamins will only aggravate the problem.
kayo80:

No I didn't. I actually wanted to do that, but I thought, medically, there might be a problem. I will give them Vitamins tomorrow. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Help! I Gave My Chicks Drugs For Coccidiosis And They Have Become Dull by Munzy14(m): 8:29pm On Oct 11, 2016
Turks:
Please don't give such birds vitamins. Birds with coccidiosis shouldn't be given vitamins as you're doing more harm than good. Give plain water instead while they recover. Vitamins will only aggravate the problem.
Good. you know deep about poultry.The main anticoccidal drug is amprolium. never ever combine it with vitamin b1. @op when ever u want to administer any drug ora vaccine.please follow the instruction written on the sachet or bottle.before u cause damage ok.
Re: Help! I Gave My Chicks Drugs For Coccidiosis And They Have Become Dull by Turks: 8:40pm On Oct 11, 2016
There's no stipulated drug for any ailment. What if he uses amprolium and it cures the disease an then he has another outbreak would you advice him to administer amprolium again knowing fully well that drug resistance is real? Riddle me that sir
Munzy14:

Good. you know deep about poultry.The main anticoccidal drug is amprolium. never ever combine it with vitamin b1. @op when ever u want to administer any drug ora vaccine.please follow the instruction written on the sachet or bottle.before u cause damage ok.
Re: Help! I Gave My Chicks Drugs For Coccidiosis And They Have Become Dull by kayo80(m): 9:04pm On Oct 11, 2016
Turks:

Okay. Good thing I didn't give them vitamins. They are doing okay right now.

1 Like

Re: Help! I Gave My Chicks Drugs For Coccidiosis And They Have Become Dull by giftiy(m): 11:42pm On Oct 12, 2016
I stand to disagree with you boss.what works for Mr B,may not work for Mr C.embazine fort works for me.its advisible u don't stick to a particular drug.
Munzy14:

Re: Help! I Gave My Chicks Drugs For Coccidiosis And They Have Become Dull by Munzy14(m): 6:56am On Oct 13, 2016
giftiy:
I stand to disagree with you boss.what works for Mr B,may not work for Mr C.embazine fort works for me.its advisible u don't stick to a particular drug.
for headache, paracetamol,panadol, boska,sudrex etc.are all good to relief headache. my point is this amprocox is not the only drug for treatment of coccidiosis, rather one of the best so far. The issue is op was thinking of vitamins.I adviced him not to.especially vitamin B1. it provides more site for the spread of coccidiosis.

1 Like

Re: Help! I Gave My Chicks Drugs For Coccidiosis And They Have Become Dull by Munzy14(m): 7:03am On Oct 13, 2016
Turks:
There's no stipulated drug for any ailment. What if he uses amprolium and it cures the disease an then he has another outbreak would you advice him to administer amprolium again knowing fully well that drug resistance is real? Riddle me that sir
There are many diseases of poultry. But the problem with some farmers is how to identify the signs and symptoms for treatment. the mainthing. maintain a good hygiene for the birds.and do not miss dia vaccination programmes.
Re: Help! I Gave My Chicks Drugs For Coccidiosis And They Have Become Dull by Turks: 9:13am On Oct 13, 2016
Very true! Poultry is 99% management and 1% drug.

Kindly Follow our Facebook page www.facebook.com/AvianPlanet
Munzy14:

There are many diseases of poultry. But the problem with some farmers is how to identify the signs and symptoms for treatment. the mainthing. maintain a good hygiene for the birds.and do not miss dia vaccination programmes.

1 Like

Re: Help! I Gave My Chicks Drugs For Coccidiosis And They Have Become Dull by kayo80(m): 9:24am On Oct 13, 2016
Turks:
Very true! Poultry is 99% management and 1% drug.

Kindly Follow our Facebook page www.facebook.com/AvianPlanet

What happens to birds that are not vaccinated at all? Vaccinated birds still fall sick, so why do some cockerels that are not vaccinated at all still go through life without dying or even falling sick? What exactly does Lasota, or Gumboro vaccine prevent? A specific disease? Or different types of diseases? Please, I need answers to this questions. Thanks in advance.
Re: Help! I Gave My Chicks Drugs For Coccidiosis And They Have Become Dull by Turks: 9:47am On Oct 13, 2016
*To start with, Vaccines are given to birds as a preventive measure or sometimes, as a curative measure in the case of an outbreak. It could be a long term vaccine or a short time vaccine.

*Some vaccines are not long acting i.e they need to be readministered at some point in time .Hence when a previously vaccinated bird gets exposed to this disease it's been vaccinated against and the vaccine time has lapsed, it'll definitely fall sick or die in the process if not catered for.

*La Sota is the name of a french scientist that discovered the vaccine against New Castle Disease hence the vaccine name called La Sota. Infectious Bursa disease (Gumboro) is a disease that targets the bursa of birds between the ages of 3-10weeks (Pls Confirm). It's the most dreaded disease in the poultry world and it strikes as a result of poor biosecurity. IBD is no respecter of any farmer. It'll strike hard and the mortality rate is always very high. I've seen a farm where IBD hit and it killed 1500 birds leaving just two cockerels. Farmers tend to vaccinate against these diseases as they're the most frequently occurring ones. There are other terrible diseases but they strike only when management and biosecurity is in total and complete negelect.

I hope I've answered your questions sir?
kayo80:

What happens to birds that are not vaccinated at all? Vaccinated birds still fall sick, so why do some cockerels that are not vaccinated at all still go through life without dying or even falling sick? What exactly does Lasota, or Gumboro vaccine prevent? A specific disease? Or different types of diseases? Please, I need answers to this questions. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Re: Help! I Gave My Chicks Drugs For Coccidiosis And They Have Become Dull by kayo80(m): 10:09am On Oct 13, 2016
Turks:
*To start with, Vaccines are given to birds as a preventive measure or sometimes, as a curative measure in the case of an outbreak. It could be a long term vaccine or a short time vaccine.

*Some vaccines are not long acting i.e they need to be readministered at some point in time .Hence when a previously vaccinated bird gets exposed to this disease it's been vaccinated against and the vaccine time has lapsed, it'll definitely fall sick or die in the process if not catered for.

*La Sota is the name of a french scientist that discovered the vaccine against New Castle Disease hence the vaccine name called La Sota. Infectious Bursa disease (Gumboro) is a disease that targets the bursa of birds between the ages of 3-10weeks (Pls Confirm). It's the most dreaded disease in the poultry world and it strikes as a result of poor biosecurity. IBD is no respecter of any farmer. It'll strike hard and the mortality rate is always very high. I've seen a farm where IBD hit and it killed 1500 birds leaving just two cockerels. Farmers tend to vaccinate against these diseases as they're the most frequently occurring ones. There are other terrible diseases but they strike only when management and biosecurity is in total and complete negelect.

I hope I've answered your questions sir?

Yes. Thanks. Men! I can't even imagine how the owner of that farm would have felt...I mean the one you said lost 1,500 birds. Whoa! And those Cockerels are super heroes. lol!
Re: Help! I Gave My Chicks Drugs For Coccidiosis And They Have Become Dull by Turks: 10:18am On Oct 13, 2016
LOL..Wasn't funny for her. She just had to count her losses and then calm down for a while before she ha BP issues. Those are the risks in poultry farming.

You're always welcome sir.
kayo80:

Yes. Thanks. Men! I can't even imagine how the owner of that farm would have felt...I mean the one you said lost 1,500 birds. Whoa! And those Cockerels are super heroes. lol!

1 Like

Re: Help! I Gave My Chicks Drugs For Coccidiosis And They Have Become Dull by Stevengerd(m): 10:17am On Feb 26, 2018
Pls house,my cockerels have this swollen leg that I've been battling with for like four months, it's now very painful for the chickens, someone should help with solutions please. The picture is attached

(1) (Reply)

For Sale, Local Chickens For Breeding/hatching Turkey, Guinea Fowl Eggs. / Make Money With Cucumber 999 Farming In 2months / Kaolin,Bentonite,diatomaceous Earth,calcium are Available

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.