Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,446 members, 7,812,365 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:18 PM

Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities (20848 Views)

Enugu Govt Flags Off Decontamination Of Schools Ahead Of Resumption / FG Abolishes Admission Policy On Catchment Area For Varsities / Re: FG plans to introduce minimum of N350,000 tuition in varsities –ASUU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities by derbywarls(m): 12:39am On Oct 14, 2016
The Federal Government in conjunction with the German Energy Partnership Project on Thursday formally flagged off its independent power supply initiative to all the 40 federal universities in the country with the Ground-breaking ceremony of a 10-Mega Watts Solar Power Plant at the University of Ibadan.
Performing the ceremony on behalf of President Muhammadu Buhari at the Ajibode Extension location of the University of Ibadan, the Minister of State for Education, Prof. Anthony Anwukah, described the event as “an historic occasion in the life of the university and of our nation” adding that it is in line with the national energy policy.
“That the project is commencing at the University of Ibadan should not surprise anyone. This is where the story of University education in Nigeria started,” the minister stated. He added the fact that UI, with its huge staff and student population had necessitated a corresponding high energy requirement which is in the region of 6 to 8 Mega Watts.
Anwukah remarked that the Federal Government, in its bid to replicate the gesture to all the 40 federal universities in Nigeria, envisaged that the project should be achieved through the utilization of off-grid Independent Power Plants (IPPs) which falls under the Public Private Partnership (PPP) initiative.
He noted that “it was in this respect that the Federal Government, under the able leadership of President Muhammadu Buhari, recently launched the Energizing Education Programme Initiative (EEPI), a collaborative effort of the Federal Ministry of Education and Federal Ministry of Power, Works and Housing to ensure self-sufficiency in power to all the 40 Federal Universities in the country.”
The EEPI is aimed at providing reliable power supply which, in turn, will promote economic growth and sustainable development in our Universities, the Minister further clarified.
The minister said further: “This is why the Federal government, through the Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund), has committed itself to this project with the provision of Funds. It clearly attests to government’s commitment to supporting a robust educational system. The project, when completed, will also ensure the realization of the vision of the University of Ibadan in becoming a world-class University, in the sense that academic activities will be boosted, and ground-breaking researches can be conducted.
“For our universities to be highly rated in Africa and the world, we must have a good research infrastructure, and a provision of energy is very key in the process. The plant will also have the multiplier effect of providing electricity to neighbouring communities. Government is keenly interested in this project, and its timely completion and effective utilization will inform an extension of the project to other Universities. We shall, therefore, be monitoring the progress of the project. It is expected that the faculties of Science and technology and the Centre for Petroleum, Energy Economics and Law would take advantage of his project to enhance the capacity of their staff, while embarking on further research in renewable energy resources.”
Also speaking at the event, the German ambassador to Nigeria, Mr. Bernard Schlagheck, assured that the project, which is a culmination of more than two years of negotiations involving the University of Ibadan, the Government of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the German Government, would be completed and ready for commissioning within the next six months.
In attendance at the ground-breaking ceremony were dignitaries including the Minister of Health, Prof. Isaac Adewole who is also the immediate past Vice Chancellor of the University of Ibadan; the Vice Chancellor of the institution, Prof. Abel Idowu Olayinka; as well as the Olubadan of Ibadanland, Oba Saliu Adetunji Ajeogungunniso I

http://thenationonlineng.net/govt-flags-off-independent-power-supply-40-federal-varsities/

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities by PaulIdu: 12:44am On Oct 14, 2016
I thought Zombies say power had improved

6 Likes

Re: Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities by micfoley: 12:46am On Oct 14, 2016
Nice one

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities by arresa: 12:54am On Oct 14, 2016
PaulIdu:

The fact that the FG is setting up independent power supply for our Universities means power is not improving in Nigeria and even if I might add, is this latest move not part of the improvement we need?

Funny when ignorant and unintelligent ipob zombies call other people zombies...

85 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities by SamuelAnyawu(m): 1:00am On Oct 14, 2016
Kudos to FG on this...

We all want a developed Country grin

19 Likes

Re: Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities by Nobody: 1:06am On Oct 14, 2016
Marginalization. Why not in northern Nigeria. The north is backward in education, so it's supposing to be in ABU, Unimaid where boko is Haram or B.U.K. Buhari cannot govern this nation. I repeat this government is a joke.

grin grin grin Example of how they reason.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities by Nobody: 1:10am On Oct 14, 2016
FriendChoice:
Marginalization. Why not in northern Nigeria. The north is backward in education, so it's supposing to be in ABU, Unimaid where boko is Haram or B.U.K. Buhari cannot govern this nation. I repeat this government is a joke.

The descendants of Shukuokikebabeje are ma....aad people grin cheesy

16 Likes

Re: Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities by ojmaroni247(m): 1:12am On Oct 14, 2016
It's a nice move and a gud start, students should nt suffer power outage. But hope tuitions fees won't increase.

1 Like

Re: Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities by Pavore9: 1:13am On Oct 14, 2016
With the population of the various universities, they should also look into generating energy from their sewage.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities by iceberryose(m): 6:50am On Oct 14, 2016
PaulIdu:
Re: Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities by Opistorincos(m): 6:51am On Oct 14, 2016
Mstcheew, another lie
Re: Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities by Abbeyme: 6:52am On Oct 14, 2016
FriendChoice:

shocked shocked shocked

You just want to be funny this early morning, abi?

Now, I hereby declare you FUNNY

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities by shaddoww: 6:52am On Oct 14, 2016
Am happy dis is not another we will, at least dey have made a move already n dey should be fast in extending it to other schools. Can't imagine how u will have tertiary institutions without constant power supply. But come to think of it ooo, Buhari's government seem to be firing from all sides dis week oooo.
If u think Buhari's government won't fail Nigerians, click like.

65 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities by yeyeboi(m): 6:53am On Oct 14, 2016
This Country Sef angry

1 Like

Re: Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities by Xtopher123(m): 6:53am On Oct 14, 2016
If the Method of Generating the Electricity is not renewable, then it's not supported by me..

If it's Renewable, then I support it..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities by Olukokosir(m): 6:54am On Oct 14, 2016
Ok ... Let's c d end result
Re: Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities by Ijaya123: 6:55am On Oct 14, 2016
PaulIdu:

Did you know? That the eye of an Ostrich is bigger than its brain. Some posts here clearly shows that not only the Ostrich has that attribute.

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities by Abbeyme: 6:55am On Oct 14, 2016
Pavore9:
With the population of the various universities, they also look into generating energy from their sewage.

Bros, you bad gan an o

Sewage bawo??

When power finally improves, and the students and staffs upgrade from eating beans, they won't poo often na. Then this your option wont sustain itself. Well, I don't really know if this method id used in developed countries of this world or its just an African experiemnt..

Think about that too.
Re: Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities by techcloud(m): 6:55am On Oct 14, 2016
This is a nice development. I pray PMB succeed. May all who wish him bad and who wants him to fail be put to shame.

Nigeria will be great. We will become the true giant of Africa.

7 Likes

Re: Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities by Hemanwel(m): 6:56am On Oct 14, 2016
[b]Commendable development!
But the idea that the project should start from University of Ibadan because it's the premier university is only but a sentimental reason.

BTW:

My take on the Chibok girls release...
The first question I would like to ask is: why were the 21 girls released now that the popularity of this Buhari-led APC government has dwindled almost to the barest minimum - even among the south-westerners who contributed largely to his ascention to power?
Is it to distract Nigerians from the recession in the land?
Is it to distract Nigerians and the world at large from the judges arrest?
Is it to gain back his popularity among the south-westerners due to his feud with Bola Tinubu?
One thing I know for sure is that Chibok girls' kidnap is Buhari's,Shettima's,and other northern elites' ploy to discredit the past administration.I mean,Buhari,Kassim Shettima (Borno state gov),El-Rufai,Sanusi Lamido Sanusi,and some other big northerners know about the kidnap.They have equally seen it as an avenue to use it to score cheap political points in this administration.
So,in essence,there was Chibok girls kidnap and it was politically motivated.[/b]

3 Likes

Re: Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities by adebayosun02: 6:56am On Oct 14, 2016
Re: Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities by oxygen004: 6:59am On Oct 14, 2016
What if all nigerians have uninterrupted power.... ? we are busy developing other countries, think of were nigeria have constant power..
1. Importation of generator will stop
2. We will have more fresh air to breathe
3. Fuel consumption will reduce
4. Production increase
5. People will happily pay their electricity tariff, etc.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities by davidif: 7:00am On Oct 14, 2016
Re: Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities by emperorchedda(m): 7:00am On Oct 14, 2016
PaulIdu:
Your condition is bad o! shocked

So if power has improved there should be no room for more improvement??

You need a neurologist to run a check on that substance you call brain.

11 Likes

Re: Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities by joengene(m): 7:01am On Oct 14, 2016
Key note -the Project negotiation actually stated with the last govt. I see several traces of continuity in governance.

Doesnt matter who gets the glory as long as the project is completed and completed well, we are happy.

5 Likes

Re: Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities by Nobody: 7:01am On Oct 14, 2016
“That the project is commencing at the University of Ibadan should not surprise anyone. This is where the story of University education in Nigeria started,”

3 Likes

Re: Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities by Pavore9: 7:04am On Oct 14, 2016
Abbeyme:

Bros, you bad gan an o

Sewage bawo??

When power finally improves, and the students and staffs upgrade from eating beans, they won't poo often na. Then this your option wont sustain itself. Well, I don't really know if this method id used in developed countries of this world or its just an African experiemnt..

Think about that too.

It will serve as cooking gas, l have seen where it is operated. It can provide gas for the University's bakery if it has one.

1 Like

Re: Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities by sebali: 7:09am On Oct 14, 2016
This is the kind of news I want to hear about power. Many more organizations shud be allowed to pull out from d national grid

1 Like

Re: Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities by mrvitalis(m): 7:10am On Oct 14, 2016
This is a good idea... but solar should be more in the north were u have longer sunny days in a year
For tge south.. bio gas should be looked into to back up the solar

2 Likes

Re: Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities by Oildichotomy(m): 7:11am On Oct 14, 2016
All these are political projects that will make sycophants jump for joy.

40 federal universities right? You think I should believe because a minister said so?

Scam

1 Like

Re: Govt Flags Off Independent Power Supply In 40 Federal Varsities by Rick9(m): 7:13am On Oct 14, 2016
We need am oh

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nnamdi Azikiwe Medical Students And Aspirants / Pre-science Thread / Anambra Students To Represent Nigeria At 27th World Debate In Singapore / Unijos Admission Thread 2017/18 Academic Session

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.