Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,239 members, 7,836,146 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:29 PM

Road Side Mechanic Vs Auto Workshop Vs Dealership - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Road Side Mechanic Vs Auto Workshop Vs Dealership (10921 Views)

How We've Started Preventing The Spread Of Coronavirus At Our Auto Workshop / 5 Car Pricing Mistakes To Avoid In Car Dealership / Porsche Fan Crashed N49m Cayenne Into Dealership After Not Getting Optional Xtra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Road Side Mechanic Vs Auto Workshop Vs Dealership by seyiojomu(m): 9:38am On Oct 17, 2016
if you totally know what you are doing, you will never have a problem when someone is watching you do it. infact, you will be interested in teaching them when they seem to show interest. by watching someone work on your car while you watch alone, you can tell if the person is someone you would probably do business with again.

dont forget also that when you leave them to do what they like, they may carelessly damage other tins while trying to fix a particular problem, which is very common with the roadside guys. ordinary retainer pins, roadside will never bring it out properly, they will yank them out and break them, den they will start using screws, nuts and washer to hold it in place or even use copper wires when they know you wont even go there to check, then over time your car starts creaking with noises and you will never be able to tell where its coming from.
dont forget that when mistakes are made by them and you are not aware, you will still be the one to bear the cost and loss.

i have watched my auto workshop guy work on my car several times, told him how i like my stuffs done and elaborated on the level of ethics and competence expected to the extent that i don't need to be with him anymore when he is working on my car. he even already knows that when there is a damage to the car due to bad workshop practice, i can tell and off course they would be liable for that.

Simply put, there is nothing wrong in passing your instructions, watching the procedures etc before entrusting them to use their own discretion afterwards how exactly you would have handled your car if it were you personally.

when you can do ITK to avoid extra costs, do it cos if you don't, you will come back to do baba olowo maga.

kingreign:

Do you go to auto workshops/dealerships and supervise/watch the technician fix your car and also start forming ITK? If No, why would you try it with roadside mechanics?
If yes, Na your type dey always enter problem when you try it with auto technicians and they'll do damages.
Pls, tell them what to do, give them room to do their works, then you can inspect the competence of the work done after your car has been operated upon. You won't like it when a client starts supervising and directing you in your own professional job, so don't do it to others.

3 Likes

Re: Road Side Mechanic Vs Auto Workshop Vs Dealership by wizard007(m): 10:00am On Oct 17, 2016
kingreign:

Do you go to auto workshops/dealerships and supervise/watch the technician fix your car and also start forming ITK? If No, why would you try it with roadside mechanics?
If yes, Na your type dey always enter problem when you try it with auto technicians and they'll do damages.
Pls, tell them what to do, give them room to do their works, then you can inspect the competence of the work done after your car has been operated upon. You won't like it when a client starts supervising and directing you in your own professional job, so don't do it to others.

I totally disagree with you on this, there's absolutely nothing wrong with being present when a service I paid for is being rendered, if there are no ulterior motive why would any professional have problems with their client presence while you work on his/her project.

Some times it all boils down to trust and I am not one to shy away from depicting the truth, if I give you a job and I deem fit to evaluate your service efficiency by being present, your professionalism instinct should tell you to make me feel comfortable and pleased as you go to work and at the end of the day we can both smile and shake hands for a business gone well.

2 Likes

Re: Road Side Mechanic Vs Auto Workshop Vs Dealership by kingreign(m): 11:00am On Oct 17, 2016
seyiojomu:
if you totally know what you are doing, you will never have a problem when someone is watching you do it. infact, you will be interested in teaching them when they seem to show interest. by watching someone work on your car while you watch alone, you can tell if the person is someone you would probably do business with again.

dont forget also that when you leave them to do what they like, they may carelessly damage other tins while trying to fix a particular problem, which is very common with the roadside guys. ordinary retainer pins, roadside will never bring it out properly, they will yank them out and break them, den they will start using screws, nuts and washer to hold it in place or even use copper wires when they know you wont even go there to check, then over time your car starts creaking with noises and you will never be able to tell where its coming from.
dont forget that when mistakes are made by them and you are not aware, you will still be the one to bear the cost and loss.

i have watched my auto workshop guy work on my car several times, told him how i like my stuffs done and elaborated on the level of ethics and competence expected to the extent that i don't need to be with him anymore when he is working on my car. he even already knows that when there is a damage to the car due to bad workshop practice, i can tell and off course they would be liable for that.

Simply put, there is nothing wrong in passing your instructions, watching the procedures etc before entrusting them to use their own discretion afterwards how exactly you would have handled your car if it were you personally.

when you can do ITK to avoid extra costs, do it cos if you don't, you will come back to do baba olowo maga.

Well, you know who you take your cars to, if He's careless, blame him and do not bring it to the general roadside mechanic.
I am a technician, I am not one careless one, infact, I teach my clients, even call them give them tips, whenever they're present, I gladly help them fix some anomalies in their cars sometimes free of charge. I learn from them too, i take corrections from them.

But when one starts telling me what to do on my job and try forming ITK, na there Palava for start. I recall a client who was trying to form ITK cos he has 4 big jeeps and a pathfinder V8, a friend and customer of mine, have met him at another time and gave him a similar advice on what to to to make his car better, yet, he formed ITK arrogance, I know how He's now suffering at another mechanic's hands.

Its just like you're telling a trained surgeon how to perform a procedure just because you read a little stuff about it from a book.

May I remind you I know about 4 technicians who work with Coscharis and CFAO in Abuja, when they talk about the background things they do in the name of repairs despite the huge bills customers pay, I wonder, I have been opportune to sit side by side with Dana motor engineers and do you know they bill you 320k to change EPS in Hyundai Elantra when it makes a clunky sound (a common fault in Hyundai elantra EPS), yet, they take these EPS to a road side techie in Abuja and pay him 55k?

I still repeat, if you want me to teach you basics, intermediate and advanced auto care and repairs, that one is seperate, but to preside and oversee and supervise and close mark me when I'm on my job, I don't always welcome it, the only time I gladly welcome such is when I'm in the mood for that.

1 Like

Re: Road Side Mechanic Vs Auto Workshop Vs Dealership by folawalesegun: 12:32pm On Oct 17, 2016
Any day any time I still prefer the roadside mechanics due to their experience in many brands of vehicles. My only problem with them is how to get a honest one among them. I remember one time when I took my Honda civic to one of my roadside mechanic for servicing. he advised I change all the spark plugs of which I agreed and gave him money. I was unable to stay with him to watch him do his job due to my tight schedule. when I returned to take my car, I discovered that the operation of the engine is not that OK, he checked all the plugs again and said is one of the spark plug that is malfunctioning he even said that one of the valve is not functioning well. he said the valve have to be replaced. I wasn't satisfied with that so I have to take my car to another mechanic who later discovered that one of the plugs is not functioning well, I told him I just replaced those plugs but he said no that those plugs were old which means the first mechanic doesn't replace those plugs. since that day I have been cruising my car broth far and near distances without replacing any valve. so the roadside mechanics as far as I'm concern are very good but honesty is their problem.
Re: Road Side Mechanic Vs Auto Workshop Vs Dealership by bigchica(m): 12:36pm On Oct 17, 2016
I still believe that what you drive matters too. I wouldnt dream of taking a range rover evogue to a road side mechanic... Neither would i advice you to take your 1999 carmy to a workshop, you will just go an waste money.
Technology have greatly advanced, and this road side guy have refused to keep up. Imagine a bmw x6 where you have to register the battery with a scanner if you remove the terminals for whatever reason else the car wont start. That what you want to go and give kabiru to repair abi? Issorite.
Re: Road Side Mechanic Vs Auto Workshop Vs Dealership by seyiojomu(m): 12:56pm On Oct 17, 2016
Bros, u are just matching P for nothing. Am not teaching u your job and u re not the only technician here. U dont even know if am one. Its a forum, I gave my opinions and u av even reiterated and supported my claim on why auto workshops are best, afterall u said u educate your clients too.

yes, dat a client has read one blah blah online is no big deal and he thinks he shld let u know wen fixing is car. The onus is on u to let him know what is right nd effects of woteva by reasonably playing it out for him or her to see, rather dan feeling pompous dat someone cant teach u ur job. There is a reason why surgeons are initially trained as 'housemanship' doctors before dey start operating alone. One of those reasons is to culture them to listen to dier theatre room support staffs and client, which I presume u lack.

All d same, all d best in your endeavors.

kingreign:

Well, you know who you take your cars to, if He's careless, blame him and do not bring it to the general roadside mechanic.
I am a technician, I am not one careless one, infact, I teach my clients, even call them give them tips, whenever they're present, I gladly help them fix some anomalies in their cars sometimes free of charge. I learn from them too, i take corrections from them.

But when one starts telling me what to do on my job and try forming ITK, na there Palava for start. I recall a client who was trying to form ITK cos he has 4 big jeeps and a pathfinder V8, a friend and customer of mine, have met him at another time and gave him a similar advice on what to to to make his car better, yet, he formed ITK arrogance, I know how He's now suffering at another mechanic's hands.

Its just like you're telling a trained surgeon how to perform a procedure just because you read a little stuff about it from a book.

May I remind you I know about 4 technicians who work with Coscharis and CFAO in Abuja, when they talk about the background things they do in the name of repairs despite the huge bills customers pay, I wonder, I have been opportune to sit side by side with Dana motor engineers and do you know they bill you 320k to change EPS in Hyundai Elantra when it makes a clunky sound (a common fault in Hyundai elantra EPS), yet, they take these EPS to a road side techie in Abuja and pay him 55k?

I still repeat, if you want me to teach you basics, intermediate and advanced auto care and repairs, that one is seperate, but to preside and oversee and supervise and close mark me when I'm on my job, I don't always welcome it, the only time I gladly welcome such is when I'm in the mood for that.

2 Likes

Re: Road Side Mechanic Vs Auto Workshop Vs Dealership by kingreign(m): 2:01pm On Oct 17, 2016
seyiojomu:
Bros, u are just matching P for nothing. Am not teaching u your job and u re not the only technician here. U dont even know if am one. Its a forum, I gave my opinions and u av even reiterated and supported my claim on why auto workshops are best, afterall u said u educate your clients too.

yes, dat a client has read one blah blah online is no big deal and he thinks he shld let u know wen fixing is car. The onus is on u to let him know what is right nd effects of woteva by reasonably playing it out for him or her to see, rather dan feeling pompous dat someone cant teach u ur job. There is a reason why surgeons are initially trained as 'housemanship' doctors before dey start operating alone. One of those reasons is to culture them to listen to dier theatre room support staffs and client, which I presume u lack.

All d same, all d best in your endeavors.

Now, this is a blow below the belt, why taking my speech personal?
You've not met me, you've not gone thru my online profile, yet you erroneously presume about me in a negative manner. Go check more about my works in my profile, check more about me on by searching lomomike, then you can come rant.

Good day!
Re: Road Side Mechanic Vs Auto Workshop Vs Dealership by seyiojomu(m): 3:28pm On Oct 17, 2016
Seems you love to talk too much.

Instead of trying to sound abusive, try something simpler "Shut up".

If you cant handle intellectual arguments diplomatically, then goan talk to people like you. rather than feeling pained that someone is replying you.

you don't deserve my replies anymore.

kingreign:

Now, this is a blow below the belt, why taking my speech personal?
You've not met me, you've not gone thru my online profile, yet you erroneously presume about me in a negative manner. Go check more about my works in my profile, check more about me on by searching lomomike, then you can come rant.

Good day!

1 Like

Re: Road Side Mechanic Vs Auto Workshop Vs Dealership by kingreign(m): 4:28pm On Oct 17, 2016
seyiojomu:
Seems you love to talk too much.

Instead of trying to sound abusive, try something simpler "Shut up".

If you cant handle intellectual arguments diplomatically, then goan talk to people like you. rather than feeling pained that someone is replying you.

you don't deserve my replies anymore.

bla bla bla bla bla when youre the one who went caustic, now, youre crying blue murder, i will ignore you hence forth.
Re: Road Side Mechanic Vs Auto Workshop Vs Dealership by baslone: 5:39pm On Oct 17, 2016
bsideboii:
The same Nigerians that prefer road side mechanics aka Baba kazeem are the one that tell you tokunbo cars are better than brand new cars.Let's just learn to do the right thing at times.I understand the odds at play here like the time of repair delivery, the quality of parts,and most importantly the cost.For me Ill still prefer the dealership,the auto workshops, then d roadside guys (in emergency cases where I have no other option).

Wake up call to auto workshops to speed up their delivery time.

Experience they say is the best teacher.

I noticed the car brings out some black smoke from the exhaust occasionally while driving. I reported this to my Mechanic, but after diagnosis- he didnt discover anything wrong with it. We decided to try again by running another set of diagnosis at COSCHARIS.

They gave me a bill above N5M to fix the problem, I picked up my car from their workshop damaged and discovered that the windows were not working neither was the side mirrors tilting anymore.

I eventually bought all the necessary parts myself in BMW show room somewhere in Vegas and It didn't cost me more than 25% of what COSHARIS was asking for.

1 Like

Re: Road Side Mechanic Vs Auto Workshop Vs Dealership by bsideboii(m): 7:07pm On Oct 17, 2016
baslone:

Experience they say is the best teacher.

I noticed the car brings out some black smoke from the exhaust occasionally while driving. I reported this to my Mechanic, but after diagnosis- he didnt discover anything wrong with it. We decided to try again by running another set of diagnosis at COSCHARIS.

They gave me a bill above N5M to fix the problem, I picked up my car from their workshop damaged and discovered that the windows were not working neither was the side mirrors tilting anymore.

I eventually bought all the necessary parts myself in BMW show room somewhere in Vegas and It didn't cost me more than 25% of what COSHARIS was asking for.

All I see is the naija factor at play here in the case of the 5million naira charge (This cracked me up indeed) and the replaced modules too.
If their was integrity in d part of coscharis d dealership would still have bn the best bet.....also thanks for giving me a clearer insight on how dealership in naija operates especially ones as "reputable" Coscharis.
Re: Road Side Mechanic Vs Auto Workshop Vs Dealership by francmoda: 10:54pm On Oct 17, 2016
kingreign:

Thanks seyiojomu for taking ur reply out of my mouth...I was thinking exactly wat u said while reading this post....he sounds so pompous and rude and just from reading this I wud rather learn to fix cars on utube than take it to kingreign

1 Like

Re: Road Side Mechanic Vs Auto Workshop Vs Dealership by seyiojomu(m): 1:47am On Oct 18, 2016
I swear down

francmoda:

Thanks seyiojomu for taking ur reply out of my mouth...I was thinking exactly wat u said while reading this post....he sounds so pompous and rude and just from reading this I wud rather learn to fix cars on utube than take it to kingreign
Re: Road Side Mechanic Vs Auto Workshop Vs Dealership by rexwilson: 9:31pm On Feb 06, 2020
A

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Ways To Know Your Car More Than Your Mechanic / See How To Correctly Pronounce Car Brands Names / Oil Leakage In Cars? These Are The Causes - Autoreportng

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.