Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,772 members, 7,809,980 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:09 PM

If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar (60675 Views)

YOAAMC 2019: Junior Secondary School Girl Wins 100,000 And Other Prizes / Download Full BECE “Junior WAEC 2022” Timetable .PDF | Past Questions | Syllabus / Benue To Convert Junior Secondary Schools To Vocational Institutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by ezechueze(m): 6:22pm On Oct 17, 2016
OK
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by R0LL0N(m): 6:23pm On Oct 17, 2016
Flygeriansteve:
The Trial of Jimmy Johnson
Thanks. I have been expecting the op to say something on Jimmy Johnson. That story taught me about the danger of drug trafficking. I can still imagine how the pictures look like.
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by bsideboii(m): 6:23pm On Oct 17, 2016
Who read 'Akuko Gagara' - Yoruba
'Koku Baboni'- Was creepy to me then.
'Mothers Choice'
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by papa007: 6:25pm On Oct 17, 2016
The Lonely Londoner.
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by martha89: 6:26pm On Oct 17, 2016
RGem:
Dizzy angel and passport of Malham ilia are very interesting
Burning grass by cyprian ekwensi too.
Efuru is also very interesting.
Dizzy angel, it was scary to read, the 90s rock and it was fun growing up as a Nigerian.
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by Icecomrade: 6:26pm On Oct 17, 2016
Richy4:
We read Macbeth--Still born--Animal Farm--- The Trial of Brother jero-----The Mayor of casterbridge wink

You wrote ur ssce btw 1996-1997.

Memory recalled
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by Emasel(m): 6:26pm On Oct 17, 2016
dairykidd:
WITH THESE BOOKS/PLAYS:

The Lion & the jewel by Wole Soyinka
Never sparked my interest so i only followed it in class...i know it was abt two men fighting over one girl

Tales from Shakespeare by Charles and Mary Lamb
my Fav plays were:
Macbeth
Othello
Much Ado About Nothing
Romeo & Juliet
The Tempest

Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
Fav characters: Oliver Twist,Faggin,Bill Sikes

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

Fav character:Okonkwo

The Passport of Mallam Ilia by Cyprian Ekwensi
Fav character:the young,brave and rugged Mallam Ilia

An African Night’s Entertainment by Cyprian Ekwensi
Had little interest in this too only read along in class

She Stoops to Conquer by Oliver Goldsmith
fav character: Kate

Dizzy Angel by Gracy Nma Osifo
fav character: that fine ogbanje girl and[b] her wanna be boyfriend forgotten their names
[/b]
Animal Farm by George Orwell
fav characters: Napoleon,Snowball,Old Major
i don't think i read this in my jss tho cos i later became a science student for 1 year before going to become a social science student and had to drop literature painfully..

Feel free to add yours

His name was Uloko. Dizzy Angel was addictive. I read it in primary 6.
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by sinaj(f): 6:27pm On Oct 17, 2016
Av read all of them.

My dad still have them in his library, they belong to him smiley
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by basingstoke: 6:28pm On Oct 17, 2016
What are they reading these days if they are no longer reading those books
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by Obelensi: 6:28pm On Oct 17, 2016
Chai, op your making me nostalgic, you dont know how am feeling ryt now, thank for this thread.

The Drummer Boy
No longer at ease
Eze goes to school
The tempest
Things fall apart
Macbeth
A mid summer night dream
Much Ado About Nothing
Merchant of Venice
Oliver Twist chai
Joys of motherhood
Alibaba and the 40 thieves and lots more

i feel like crying!!!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by femi4: 6:29pm On Oct 17, 2016
Savvy2:
I read most of them Not in 'the early 90s though undecided undecided
when did you read them?
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by uchaymart(m): 6:29pm On Oct 17, 2016
damiso:

Aww thanks for mentioning me Efe. kiss

Lovely Thread that does bring back lovely Memories smiley

I was such a voracious reader in those days embarassed and loved African Literature.

Gradually getting better at it again though and I intentionally set time aside for reading and slot into my commute as well( when I get a seat ). I dusted up and renewed my library card a couple of weeks ago when I took the kids in ( I have a kindle but am old fashioned I love flipping pages) and went to the African Literature section, currently reading 'News from Home 'by Sefi Atta.( I like her writing style and just finished her another of her books ' A bit of Difference' could so relate to it as a Nigerian living in the UK).

I just found that my reading was becoming centred around the children alone. I told myself ,its not just reading to and with them it also helps them seeing YOU read as well. I also hope to introduce African/ Black Written Literature to them as well. My daughter got Maya Angelou' Little People Big Dreams as one of her birthday presents and hope to get her the whole set.

I loved

The Passport of Mallam Illia by Cyprian Ekwensi
Akin the Drummer Boy by Cyprian Ekwensi
Trials of Brother Jero by Wole Soyinka
The Lion and the Jewel by Wole Soyinka
The Gods are not to Blame by Ola Rotimi( we even had a stage production for this ) and so many others too numerous to mention.

Aww memories. smiley
The Iroko man and the wood carver

2 Likes

Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by Memphis357(m): 6:33pm On Oct 17, 2016
freshvine:
I read as it was offered in my JSS back then

1. African Child..... Camara ley
2. Chike and the river.... CHINUA achebe
3. The gods are not to blame.... Ola rotimi
4. Akpan and the smugglers.... Rosemary uwemedimo
5. Eze goes to school.... CHINUA achebe
6. Animal farm... George Orwell
7. Wedlock of the gods... Zulu sofola
8. The return of Shettima.... Kola onadipe

Pardon me asking but did you attend Command Secondary school, Ipaja?
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by horlakunle25(m): 6:33pm On Oct 17, 2016
Can't relate to dis!....had my primary school in kosovo yugoslavia!!
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by Obelensi: 6:34pm On Oct 17, 2016
horlakunle25:
Can't relate to dis!....had my primary school in kosovo yugoslavia!!

smiley

Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by freshvine(f): 6:34pm On Oct 17, 2016
Memphis357:

Pardon me asking but did you attend Command Secondary school, Ipaja?

Army Day Secondary school ogoja
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by customised87: 6:35pm On Oct 17, 2016
Time Changes Yesterday (Pacesetter Series)
Arrow of God (Chinua Achebe)
Abe Abo (Diran Opadotun)
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by blezynetym(f): 6:38pm On Oct 17, 2016
[quote author=dairykidd post=50216254]WITH THESE BOOKS/PLAYS:

Never sparked my interest so i only followed it in class...i know it was abt two men fighting over one girl

my Fav plays were:
Macbeth
Othello
Much Ado About Nothing
Romeo & Juliet
The Tempest

fav character: that fine ogbanje girl and her wanna be boyfriend forgotten their names

i don't think i read this in my jss tho cos i later became a science student for 1 year before going to become a social science student and had to drop literature painfully..

Feel free to add yours
Still birth by Zainab Alkali, Drummer boy, orountodun,

1 Like

Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by slowbreeze(f): 6:40pm On Oct 17, 2016
I av read almost all of dem,even tho I had my secondary education in d 2000's,courtesy of my elder siblings library and loneliness/joblessness as a last child.
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by Mujtahida: 6:40pm On Oct 17, 2016
dairykidd:

Am telling you
I presume you love literature so let me on that basis gently draw your attention to this: it's 'I am' or 'I'm' not 'am'. Thank you.
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by Nobody: 6:41pm On Oct 17, 2016
dairykidd:
WITH THESE BOOKS/PLAYS:

Lucky you...I've been stuck with being called "Usman" grin grin grin

Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by wiselette(f): 6:42pm On Oct 17, 2016
....when you realize you've read up to 95% of all books mentioned by the OP and comments.

Books were akin to food for me then. Ah! memories....

2 Likes

Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by luminouz(m): 6:43pm On Oct 17, 2016
joanana:
i love she stoops to conquer and Animal Farm

Two legs good
Four Legs Bad!!

"All animals are equal but some animal are more equal than others"

Animal Farm Anthem
"Beasts of England, Beasts of Ireland,

Beasts of every land and clime,

Hearken to my joyful tidings

Of the Golden future time.

Soon or late the day is coming,

Tyrant Man shall be o'erthrown,

And the fruitful fields of England

Shall be trod by beasts alone'

I remember all becos my dad bought the movie and i read the book. it was fun
Those days.l.l....
Lolllzz! Hmmm.....what about sugar girl? U know d novel...
BTW..I pmed u! U havnt been checking Ur mails eh?
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by Emmaco(m): 6:43pm On Oct 17, 2016
How come no one mentioned, 'taming of the shrew'. Was indeed a good read...

1 Like

Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by marv1: 6:44pm On Oct 17, 2016
Even those of us b4 Jss/Sss (6, 3, 3, 4 system) we read all those books. It was interesting then.

dairykidd:
WITH THESE BOOKS/PLAYS:

my Fav plays were:
Macbeth
Othello
Much Ado About Nothing
Romeo & Juliet
The Tempest

fav character: that fine ogbanje girl and her wanna be boyfriend forgotten their names

Feel free to add yours

1 Like

Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by HomeOfMe(f): 6:45pm On Oct 17, 2016
dairykidd:
WITH THESE BOOKS/PLAYS:

my Fav plays were:
Macbeth
Othello
Much Ado About Nothing
Romeo & Juliet
The Tempest

Feel free to add yours
I remember most of those books. Growing up in the nineties was a lot of fun.

1 Like

Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by shumuel(m): 6:45pm On Oct 17, 2016
dairykidd:
WITH THESE BOOKS/PLAYS:

my Fav plays were:
Macbeth
Othello
Much Ado About Nothing
Romeo & Juliet
The Tempest

Feel free to add yours

grin Those were the days of good writers and good readers, i still remember some of these books by heart.

I don't even know what they give kids to read these days sad

1 Like

Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by Ade3000yrs(m): 6:46pm On Oct 17, 2016
A typical Nigerian don't read books. they prefer gossip to good and informative books
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by HomeOfMe(f): 6:47pm On Oct 17, 2016
dfrost:
Although by early 90s, I was just leaving primary school and about to enter secondary school, I still had the opportunity to read some of the books listed here because my late elder brother was in the Arts division then.

Trials of Brother Jero
She Stoops to Conquer
Macbeth - my dad had this in his library way back
Julius Caesar - ¿E tú Brutus?
Animal Farm - Benjamin the old donkey
The Bottled Leopard
Romeo and Juliet Anthills of the Savannah
Merchant of Venice

what a beautiful childhood.
The nineties was the best.
Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by dfrost: 6:47pm On Oct 17, 2016
basingstoke:
What are they reading these days if they are no longer reading those books

The thing tire me. I was ordering some books online and each cost about $8.50. My colleague asked me why don't I download the softcopy.

I guess he doesn't understand what it means to own a classic and smile at them when they are sitting comfortably in the shelves of your library.

Ooh yah!!! It's like having a wine cellar cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: If You Had Your Junior Secondary In The Early Nineties You Are Probably Familiar by freecocoa(f): 6:49pm On Oct 17, 2016
Secondary school for "us" was in the 2000s but we read some of those books too, such memories, I could read books(especially novels) for Africa sha, fun it was.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Bloody Protest In The University Of Portharcourt(graphic Photos) / Former US Teacher Of The Year Arrested For Having Sex With 17-Year-Old Student / Salary For A Graduate Assistant In A Federal Polytechnic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.