Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,822 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:50 AM

BREAKING!!! Police Barricades Awka The Anambra State Capital, Over Town Union El - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BREAKING!!! Police Barricades Awka The Anambra State Capital, Over Town Union El (956 Views)

Who Performed Best In The Anambra Governorship Debate? / BREAKING: Boko Haram Takes Over Town In Yobe / Ever Changing Face Of Awka The Capital Of Anambra State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

BREAKING!!! Police Barricades Awka The Anambra State Capital, Over Town Union El by sweetsandy4luv(f): 1:58pm On Oct 15, 2016
BREAKING!!! Police Barricades Awka The Anambra State Capital, Over Town Union Election

The police on Saturday barricaded major streets and hotels in Awka, the Anambra state capital over the town union election of the community.

The Emmaus House complex venue of the election was cordoned off by a sea of police men and other security agents.

Which made it difficult for commuters to pass through the Arthur Eze Avenue without being stop and searched.

Famous Choice hotel near the venue of the election was also under police surveillance.

This made some of the people involved in the election to move to Finotel hotel, a distance of about two kilometers to address the press about the development.

Shortly after the movement to the new venue, 10 trucks loaded with armed policemen followed them to the place.

A police officer, identified as DPO Agbaje told the gathering at the Finotel hotel that, “I have the instruction of my CP to stop this gathering.
“This gathering cannot continue, Agbaje maintained.

When contacted on the telephone about the unusual police presence in the state capital , the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Mrs Nkeiru Nwode said the police were deployed to maintained peace and order.
She also added that “is to ensure that hoodlums do not capitalize on the situation to cause mayhem”.

Addressing the press, some stakeholders in the community described the situation as “militarization of our society”.

The Chairman of caretaker committee, Awka Development Union of Nigeria, Mr Emmanuel Okechukwu, a lawyer, said the grouse of the police was that the community did obtained permission from them to conduct the election.

“This is military hangover. There is no law known to me that says, you must obtain police permit before you can conduct a peaceful town union election.

“Do you need to get police permit to eat food? All these are military mentality. This must stop.

“But one thing is clear, we must conduct this election, even if it means conducting in my room, it must be conducted, Okechukwu submitted.

The Abuja branch chairman of the union, Mr Emeka Onyeaka said the branches of the union returned to Awka to participate in the election following a court order that the election should be conducted within 90 days.

He expressed sadness that a certain government official was frustrating the whole exercise for selfish interest.
Source:http://www.newsflashngr.com/breaking-police-barricades-awka-the-anambra-state-capital-over-town-union-election-see-what-is-happening-there-now/

Re: BREAKING!!! Police Barricades Awka The Anambra State Capital, Over Town Union El by Thewrath(m): 2:03pm On Oct 15, 2016
I see
Re: BREAKING!!! Police Barricades Awka The Anambra State Capital, Over Town Union El by ezechueze(m): 2:32pm On Oct 15, 2016
OK
Re: BREAKING!!! Police Barricades Awka The Anambra State Capital, Over Town Union El by dEastActivist: 5:28pm On Oct 15, 2016
Op what's this old picture doing there?

1 Like

Re: BREAKING!!! Police Barricades Awka The Anambra State Capital, Over Town Union El by Anambra1stSon(m): 5:57pm On Oct 15, 2016
sweetsandy4luv:
[s]reaking-police-barBREAKING!!! Police Barricades Awka The Anambra State Capital, Over Town Union Election

The police on Saturday barricaded major streets and hotels in Awka, the Anambra state capital over the town union election of the community.

The Emmaus House complex venue of the election was cordoned off by a sea of police men and other security agents.

Which made it difficult for commuters to pass through the Arthur Eze Avenue without being stop and searched.

Famous Choice hotel near the venue of the election was also under police surveillance.

This made some of the people involved in the election to move to Finotel hotel, a distance of about two kilometers to address the press about the development.

Shortly after the movement to the new venue, 10 trucks loaded with armed policemen followed them to the place.

A police officer, identified as DPO Agbaje told the gathering at the Finotel hotel that, “I have the instruction of my CP to stop this gathering.
“This gathering cannot continue, Agbaje maintained.

When contacted on the telephone about the unusual police presence in the state capital , the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Mrs Nkeiru Nwode said the police were deployed to maintained peace and order.
She also added that “is to ensure that hoodlums do not capitalize on the situation to cause mayhem”.

Addressing the press, some stakeholders in the community described the situation as “militarization of our society”.

The Chairman of caretaker committee, Awka Development Union of Nigeria, Mr Emmanuel Okechukwu, a lawyer, said the grouse of the police was that the community did obtained permission from them to conduct the election.

“This is military hangover. There is no law known to me that says, you must obtain police permit before you can conduct a peaceful town union election.

“Do you need to get police permit to eat food? All these are military mentality. This must stop.

“But one thing is clear, we must conduct this election, even if it means conducting in my room, it must be conducted, Okechukwu submitted.

The Abuja branch chairman of the union, Mr Emeka Onyeaka said the branches of the union returned to Awka to participate in the election following a court order that the election should be conducted within 90 days.

He expressed sadness that a certain government official was frustrating the whole exercise for selfish interest.
Source:http://www.newsflashngr.com/bricades-awka-the-anambra-state-capital-over-town-union-election-see-what-is-happening-there-now[/s]/
Trash
Hungry blogger, Arthur Eze avenue were I dey.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Apologise To Ndigbo Or Be Rendered Irrelevant – Ohanaeze Youths Tell Orji Kal / Open Letter To All Nigerians On Behalf Of Moham.abu Ali And The Falling Soldiers / I Will Work With Donald Trump: President Buhari; Twitter Users React

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.