Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,054 members, 7,814,624 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:28 PM

Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities (9364 Views)

FEC Approves 9 New Private Universities, 4 In Ogun State. / Tuition Fees In Nigeria Private Universities / List Private Universities In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by Pharoh: 9:32am On Oct 22, 2009
The Federal Executive Council on Wednesday in Abuja approved the issuance of provisional licences for the establishment of seven new private universities in the country. Nigeria currently has 96 universities, comprising 27 federal, 35 state and 34 private universities.

The seven private universities are Wellspring University, Evbuobanosa, Edo State; Paul University, Awka, Anambra State; Rhema University, Obeama-Asa, Rivers State; Oduduwa University, Ipetumodu, Osun State; Afe Babalola University, Ado Ekiti, Ekiti State; Godfrey Okoye University,

Ugwuomu-Nike, Enugu State, and Nigerian Turkish Nile University, Abuja.

Speaking at the post FEC briefing, which was chaired by Nigerian president, Umaru Yar'Adua, the Minister of Information, Dora Akunyili, and her Minister of State counterpart, Ikra Bilbis, said the Minister of Education, Sam Egwu, presented a memo to the council seeking the approval for the issuance of provisional licences for the establishment of the new private universities.

Mrs. Akunyili said FEC approved the memo after considering the country's rising population. "Considering our rising population and this administration's desire to improve skills and enhance standards as one of the seven-point agenda Council, therefore, considered and approved the issuance of provisional licences for the establishment of the seven (7) private universities," she said.

The Minister of State for Education, Aisha Duku, who also spoke at the briefing, said the universities had to undergo rigorous screening before getting the provisional licences.

Ms Dukku added that currently, out of the 96 universities in the country, only 34 are privately owned, and that more universities are needed to take care of the millions who need admission. She said that over one million candidates applied for university admission this year through the Joint Matriculation Examination and only about 220,000 could be accommodated.

She also said contrary to popular opinion that private universities are concentrated in one part of the country, the seven approved private universities are evenly distributed. Two of them are situated in each of the three zones in the South, while one is in the Federal Capital Territory.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5472553-146/story.csp
Re: Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by Nobody: 9:53am On Oct 22, 2009
There might be an impending crises.96 already +7 =103.&more are still comin. Access to education is not our challenge in nigeria.We hav many satellite campuses in every local govt area,coupled with distant learning from anywhere in d world.The issue is jobs/employment opportunities are not available.What is d essence of spending 4-5years in school&using another 7-8yrs searching for jobs? Also d fees charged by this institution is just too outrageous&not affordable.These areas should be looked into
Re: Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by Pharoh: 10:00am On Oct 22, 2009
Well i wouldn't say we don't need more but the existing ones should be upgraded to acceptable standards and any new ones should also toll that line. Another option is diversify the post secondary school education. We should have Polytechnics, Vocational schools, Trade schools and Technical schools. Everyone don't have to be in the university. Create Meaningful jobs and space in the economy for all these categories mentioned and people will not want to kill themselves to get into the Universities. It just seems the only space in the economy for graduates was meant for University graduates hence the mad rush to get in there. In Europe those who went to vocational schools earn big money and live a comfortable live but not in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by mogentle(m): 2:26pm On Oct 22, 2009
None is in the North among the 7.
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by Ben13: 2:26pm On Oct 22, 2009
toba:

There might be an impending crises.96 already +7 =103.&more are still comin. Access to education is not our challenge in nigeria.We hav many satellite campuses in every local govt area,coupled with distant learning from anywhere in d world.The issue is jobs/employment opportunities are not available.What is d essence of spending 4-5years in school&using another 7-8yrs searching for jobs? Also d fees charged by this institution is just too outrageous¬ affordable.These areas should be looked into

shocked grin It's a Naija xteristic.
Re: Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by POSAKOSA1(m): 2:29pm On Oct 22, 2009
toba:

e.What is d essence of spending 4-5years in school&using another 7-8yrs searching for jobs? Also d fees charged by this institution is just too outrageous&not affordable.

Exactly what I was going to type, what are the point of schools if you can't find a job after spending all the millions. Anyways it will NEVER stop people from going to Ghana and jand for school sha.

Most people think those who attend private unis are stupid anyways.
Re: Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by tunnytox(m): 2:35pm On Oct 22, 2009
Pharoh:

Well i wouldn't say we don't need more but the existing ones should be upgraded to acceptable standards and any new ones should also toll that line. Another option is diversify the post secondary school education. We should have Polytechnics, Vocational schools, Trade schools and Technical schools. Everyone don't have to be in the university. Create Meaningful jobs and space in the economy for all these categories mentioned and people will not want to kill themselves to get into the Universities. It just seems the only space in the economy for graduates was meant for University graduates hence the mad rush to get in there. In Europe those who went to vocational schools earn big money and live a comfortable live but not in Nigeria.

good point
Re: Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by PapaBrowne(m): 2:38pm On Oct 22, 2009
mogentle:

None is in the North among the 7.
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

This is the real catastrophe!!!
Re: Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by POSAKOSA1(m): 2:44pm On Oct 22, 2009
How will there be new UNI in the North ? you want make Boko Horam come hunt people down ?! undecided undecided

When it comes to NYSC killings the north takes the first places in murderous locations.
Re: Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by scottN(m): 3:06pm On Oct 22, 2009
I wonder what will be the fate of of the federal not to talk of state tertiary institutions in the near future considering the fact that most of these private universities are owned by those who are/were in power or better yet pulling the puppet chords of this country. lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by darne(m): 3:17pm On Oct 22, 2009
POSAKOSA1:

How will there be new UNI in the North ? you want make Boko Horam come hunt people down ?!  undecided undecided

When it comes to NYSC killings the north takes the first places in murderous locations.

F00l, R you telling me that the east west and south are safer than north,, Ehn
What do you even know about North apart from the boko haram thing,, I have been in lagos for more than 20yrs now(born n raised) and i want you to know that the east and the south,west are the most dangerous place for the schools to be built,, Imagine Ogun state,, Full of Rituals and tell me theres none in rivers or akwa ibom,, You see Different places in Nigeria are not safe,, Blieve me,, I Just feel we`re too lazy *we the hausas) Illiteracy is affecting us soo much that we dont care much about our childrens Eduction,, WHAT A PITY ! (no new school in the northern part,, If this things would be right,, The schools Should all be built all over the country thats it,,

So gbosa-kosa,, Dont say anything bad about North,Its even safe in the north than most of these places,,
Re: Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by POSAKOSA1(m): 3:25pm On Oct 22, 2009
darne:

F00l, R you telling me that the east west and south are safer than north,, Ehn
What do you even know about North apart from the boko haram thing,, I have been in lagos for more than 20yrs now(born n raised) and i want you to know that the east and the south,west are the most dangerous place for the schools to be built,, Imagine Ogun state,, Full of Rituals and tell me theres none in rivers or akwa ibom,, You see Different places in Nigeria are not safe,, Blieve me,, I Just feel we`re too lazy *we the hausas) Illiteracy is affecting us soo much that we dont care much about our childrens Eduction,, WHAT A PITY ! (no new school in the northern part,, If this things would be right,, The schools Should all be built all over the country thats it,,

So gbosa-kosa,, Dont say anything bad about North,Its even safe in the north than most of these places,,

Im Hausa too you Arrow. Building a new UNI in the North is a RISKY investment.
Re: Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by djpalapala(m): 3:27pm On Oct 22, 2009
scottN:

I wonder what will be the fate of of the federal not to talk of state tertiary institutions in the near future considering the fact that most of these private universities are owned by those who are/were in power or better yet pulling the puppet chords of this country. lipsrsealed

This and the fact that the job to do after graduating is practically non existent. This brings me to a point, can we chart the way forward, I mean, can we profer more solutions to issues that are raised on NL instead of only just making comments? It will be good for us all, You never know who will be priviledged to rule this country among NLers. I believe that the revolution that took place in India and closer home Ghana should be seriously looked at. We need to become self sufficient in this country, if not, We will keep producing graduates with no legal employment for them rather illegal ones.
Re: Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by Nezan(m): 3:41pm On Oct 22, 2009
This is good, but Government should be making plans for the graduates too.
Re: Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by honeric01(m): 3:45pm On Oct 22, 2009
POSAKOSA1:

Im Hausa too you Arrow. Building a new UNI in the North is a RISKY investment.

so what should be built in the north? mosque and barracks can't you see that lack of education in the north is drawing the whole country back? they have the highest numbers of people in our government with or without credentials, so don't you think schools are needed there?
Re: Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by POSAKOSA1(m): 3:59pm On Oct 22, 2009
honeric01:

so what should be built in the north? mosque and barracks can't you see that lack of education in the north is drawing the whole country back? they have the highest numbers of people in our government with or without credentials, so don't you think schools are needed there?

Im not saying that education is not needed in the north. If you can find investors willing to take the risk, the let it be. Im just providing an explanation for why Private UNIs have not been built there.
Re: Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by messiah(m): 4:04pm On Oct 22, 2009
and what are we gonna do with the tonnes of "half-baked"graduates extruded from these unis?
in developed countries, the demand in the labour force pushes for the establishment of new unis. the real deal is not in opening new unis, rather it's in providing job opportunities to absorb their (the unis) products. do we ever learn?
Re: Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by messiah(m): 4:06pm On Oct 22, 2009
POSAKOSA1:

Im not saying that education is not needed in the north. If you can find investors willing to take the risk, the let it be. Im just providing an explanation for why Private UNIs have not been built there.
It might interest you to know that ABTI university is a private university located in Yola, Adamawa state.
And Adamawa state is located in the North.
Re: Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by honeric01(m): 4:09pm On Oct 22, 2009
POSAKOSA1:

even if private investors won't go, what about the government?
Re: Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by mogentle(m): 4:12pm On Oct 22, 2009
Nezan:

This is good, but Government should be making plans for the graduates too.

THAT WILL START TOMORROW grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by POSAKOSA1(m): 4:42pm On Oct 22, 2009
messiah:

It might interest you to know that ABTI university is a private university located in Yola, Adamawa state.
And Adamawa state is located in the North.

Is that the only example you can give ?
Re: Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by POSAKOSA1(m): 4:42pm On Oct 22, 2009
honeric01:

even if private investors won't go, what about the government?

Idk. Government has already established some schools in the North.
Re: Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by Dereformer(m): 4:46pm On Oct 22, 2009
Establishing these Universities creates more jobs in itself. Aren't there going to be Academic and Non-Academic staff of the Universities? The problem is not in the number of universities or the non-availability of jobs in the country. The problem is in the quality of graduates we produce in Nigeria. Believe me, if we turn out well tutored and trained graduates- even if there is no job in the country-they can take up good jobs outside the country. Have u ever wondered why a first class graduate in Nigeria cannot even be offered a clerk's job in America or United kingdom?
Re: Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by POSAKOSA1(m): 4:51pm On Oct 22, 2009
Dereformer:

Have u ever wondered why a first class graduate in Nigeria cannot even be offered a clerk's job in America or United kingdom?

They don't have papers.
Re: Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by Nnenna1(f): 4:58pm On Oct 22, 2009
Dereformer:

Establishing these Universities creates more jobs in itself. Aren't there going to be Academic and Non-Academic staff of the Universities? The problem is not in the number of universities or the non-availability of jobs in the country. The problem is in the quality of graduates we produce in Nigeria. Believe me, if we turn out well tutored and trained graduates- even if there is no job in the country-they can take up good jobs outside the country. Have u ever wondered why a first class graduate in Nigeria cannot even be offered a clerk's job in America or United kingdom?

I was also going to add - private universities could also place emphasis on entrepreneurship with relevant classes and such. You don't have to major in business to get that. In honest, the more graduates open private practices - in business, journalism, accounting, education, catering, etc - the better for everyone.
Re: Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by POSAKOSA1(m): 4:59pm On Oct 22, 2009
Nnenna1:

I was also going to add - private universities could also place emphasis on entrepreneurship with relevant classes and such. You don't have to major in business to get that. In honest, the more graduates open private practices - in business, journalism, accounting, education, catering, etc - the better for everyone.

Are you insinuating that Nigerians are not entrepreneurial ?
Re: Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by sunnyprof: 5:17pm On Oct 22, 2009
More Universities, ok. Nigerians must start to think of creating their own jobs after school (or just reading books, without applying the thought of the lessons). I don't know why a grauate of agric cannot go and create a modern farm in his village, but wants to work in the bank? or an Education graduate who goes to work in a construction company. Suharto of indonesia once said he had no hope of a Country like Nigeria, rich in fertile land and water resources but its best brains are in Classics!!

Secondly, many people will still not go to Universityas they are not affordable. Government must subsidise education (sorry, when they even cut education budget to finance purchase of cars fro national assembly?) else we remain illitraates, semi literates or illiterate educateds grin grin undecided cry
Education if made affrodable would benefit all wether rich or poor, for a well enlightened nation in the future but our leaders are not the type that will want you to share in their priviledges. Can it become a law that nobody sends his ward to University abroad? because if their children were here, things would have been different.

I also want the whole Niger Delta States to declare free education up to university levels. They can afford it, thats one of the best way to use the oil money for the people, it will benefit both the rich, poor, govrnment offficial, village fiherman, millitant or the girl child; and save the area from the stigma of 'educationally disadvantaged'. It will save the future of the area when the average 'indigene' is enlightened.
Re: Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by ELDINO: 5:22pm On Oct 22, 2009
I'm happy blokes like POSAKOSA1 do acknowledge dat illiteracy has been a common phenomenon in NORTH INCLUDING HIS HOUSEHOLD.Now POSAKOSA1,or wateva u call urself i felt u nid som kind of formal educ. & nt de nomadic sch. U went 2.It may interest u 2 kn dat RIVERS have 1 approved now & more is kumin';AKWA IBOM had one approved which is in session right now & more are comin'.If u hav nothin' 2 say dont kum display ur ignorance in public.I just fear 4 de north.CHEERS!!
Re: Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by POSAKOSA1(m): 5:24pm On Oct 22, 2009
ELDINO:

I'm happy blokes like POSAKOSA1 do acknowledge dat illiteracy has been a common phenomenon in NORTH INCLUDING HIS HOUSEHOLD.Now POSAKOSA1,or wateva u call urself i felt u nid som kind of formal educ. & nt de nomadic sch. U went 2.It may interest u 2 kn dat RIVERS have 1 approved now & more is kumin';AKWA IBOM had one approved which is in session right now & more are comin'.If u hav nothin' 2 say dont kum display your ignorance in public.I just fear 4 de north.CHEERS!!

Are you sure that you can READ ? cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by ELDINO: 5:24pm On Oct 22, 2009
I'm happy blokes like POSAKOSA1 do acknowledge dat illiteracy has been a common phenomenon in NORTH INCLUDING HIS HOUSEHOLD.Now POSAKOSA1,or wateva u call urself i felt u nid som kind of formal educ. & nt de nomadic sch. U went 2.It may interest u 2 kn dat RIVERS have 1 approved now & more is kumin';AKWA IBOM had one approved which is in session right now & more are comin'.If u hav nothin' 2 say dont kum display ur ignorance in public.I just fear 4 de north.CHEERS!!
Re: Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by POSAKOSA1(m): 5:26pm On Oct 22, 2009
^^^^^^ ITS OBVIOUS you can't READ grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Gets Seven New Private Universities by zebra(m): 5:31pm On Oct 22, 2009
@POSAKOSA1
Abuja is among and is in the north. But i wonder why they cannot have private universities in states around Abuja like kaduna, plateau, niger and nasarawa state??

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Federal University Birnin-kebbi Aspirant / Do You Use The 2nd Page Of Google Search Results? / National Open University Of Nigeria Law Students And Graduates.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.