Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,141 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:40 AM

Igbos Don’t Trust Themselves – Ekwueme - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbos Don’t Trust Themselves – Ekwueme (17637 Views)

Ex-vice President Alex Ekwueme Is Dead / Ekwueme: What The Law Says About His Treatment Abroad. / Response To Reno Omokri : Igbos Don’t See Yorubas As Cowards But As Cunning Peop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbos Don’t Trust Themselves – Ekwueme by DONSMITH123(m): 6:06pm On Oct 17, 2016
Elder statesman and Second Republic Vice president, Dr. Alex Ekwueme has affirmed that the Igbo people of Nigeria are the second most important people created by God after the ‘white men’.

According to him, though the people occupy a special place in the heart of God, they find it difficult to trust themselves.

He said until the trust is restored, there won’t be progress in the land.

Ekwueme, spoke at the traders’ summit at Amaokpala in Orumba Norht local government area of the state.

He recalled that Igbos were strongly united before and immediately after Nigerian Independence and wondered what went wrong over the years, considering what is currently happening in the Igbo –speaking states of the country.

He said: “When I returned to Nigeria after my studies abroad, I worked for the then ESSO West Africa Limited and the job took me to many cities in the Northern part of the country. I found out that there was no place you would go and won’t find an Igbo man and they all cooperated well.

“If you wanted to buy APC medicine in any city in the North, whether it was Kano, Maiduguri, Kaduna, Bauchi, Bida, Minna, anywhere, it was an Igbo person that would sell it to you. Igbo people were so industrious that Northerners were saying that after the white man, the next most important person created by God was Igbo.

When Igbo was Igbo, there was so much unity, such that once Igbo leaders met and took a decision, every Igbo person would abide by it. The trust among Igbo was responsible for the reason apprenticeship became popular with the result that parents would allow their children to stay with an established Igbo man to learn a trade for periods ranging from five to 10 years after which the apprentice would then be settled to start his own business.

“Even after the settlement, the newly settled young trader would be getting goods on credit from his former master and return the money after sale because of the trust that existed. But lack of trust has diminished that age long cooperation between the master and his former apprentice, which is very worrisome.

“The main problem of the Igbo today is lack of trust. If we can rebuild the trust among ourselves, our people will be better for it.”

While the former vice president appreciated the efforts of Igbo traders engaged in import business, he advised them to pay more attention to areas that would enhance export, arguing that it was by so doing that they would be in a position to withstand the uncertainties in the foreign exchange trade.

President of Anambra Consensus Project, Dr. Emeka Eze explained that the organization was committed to promoting Igbo ideology, as well as oneness of the Igbo and a unified direction of Igbo growth and development.

http://dailypost.ng/2016/10/17/igbos-dont-trust-ekwueme/

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Igbos Don’t Trust Themselves – Ekwueme by INTROVERT(f): 6:08pm On Oct 17, 2016
Tinubu led yoruba people to slavery, Igbo people dont trust themeselves while Hausa people................ let me park my mustang here first.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbos Don’t Trust Themselves – Ekwueme by babyfaceafrica: 6:09pm On Oct 17, 2016
I concur....na everyone be king for Igbo..no leader!!

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbos Don’t Trust Themselves – Ekwueme by Busch: 6:09pm On Oct 17, 2016
introvert you again bah

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Don’t Trust Themselves – Ekwueme by BossKratos: 6:10pm On Oct 17, 2016
The truth really is bitter!

grin

4 Likes

Re: Igbos Don’t Trust Themselves – Ekwueme by madridguy(m): 6:10pm On Oct 17, 2016
Igbo people of Nigeria are the second most important people created by God after the ‘white men’. Reason why we want ONE NIGERIA DOLE tongue.

Long life Dr. Alex Ekwueme.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbos Don’t Trust Themselves – Ekwueme by DONSMITH123(m): 6:10pm On Oct 17, 2016
Busch:
introvert you again bah

cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Don’t Trust Themselves – Ekwueme by SweetLove0(f): 6:11pm On Oct 17, 2016
true

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbos Don’t Trust Themselves – Ekwueme by stephnie1(f): 6:13pm On Oct 17, 2016
ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbos Don’t Trust Themselves – Ekwueme by OsusuMustFlow(f): 6:14pm On Oct 17, 2016
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Igbos Don’t Trust Themselves – Ekwueme by DropShot: 6:21pm On Oct 17, 2016
"Second most important people after white man" indeed.

Empty vessels making loudest noise as usual.
cheesy grin

124 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Igbos Don’t Trust Themselves – Ekwueme by DONSMITH123(m): 6:23pm On Oct 17, 2016
DropShot:
"Second most important people after white man" indeed.

Empty vessels making loudest noise as usual.
cheesy grin

i no dey o

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Igbos Don’t Trust Themselves – Ekwueme by DropShot: 6:29pm On Oct 17, 2016
DONSMITH123:

i no dey o
Immune against their vituperation.

grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos Don’t Trust Themselves – Ekwueme by DropShot: 6:30pm On Oct 17, 2016
DONSMITH123:

i no dey o
Im immune against their vituperation.

grin

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Don’t Trust Themselves – Ekwueme by Nobody: 6:38pm On Oct 17, 2016
Papa Ekwueme has said it all.
If only the Igbo's can forge a common front and chart a unified course, then they would truly be second only to the White man!

11 Likes

Re: Igbos Don’t Trust Themselves – Ekwueme by WhoRUDeceiving: 6:39pm On Oct 17, 2016
At least he is speaking from experience because he was among those that caused division for Easterners.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Don’t Trust Themselves – Ekwueme by DONSMITH123(m): 6:46pm On Oct 17, 2016
grin grin grin

DropShot:

Im immune against their vituperation.

grin

1 Like

Re: Igbos Don’t Trust Themselves – Ekwueme by muykem: 6:51pm On Oct 17, 2016
Why the elder state man is rating white men above Igbo? Very funny people everywhere.

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbos Don’t Trust Themselves – Ekwueme by gidgiddy: 6:56pm On Oct 17, 2016
The cause of disunity amongst Igbos is Nigeria!

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Igbos Don’t Trust Themselves – Ekwueme by EazyMoh(m): 6:59pm On Oct 17, 2016
Hmmm it's curious he didn't mention Biafra.
But wait a minute, this old can lie o!
Northerners we see no specialty or superiority in different race. The Islam we generally follow was the first institution to condemn racism where a freed black slave became a governor of an Arab state.
So I don't know which part or who among northerners consider the white man special more than anyone else not to talk of Igbos.
Unless it's his belief that Igbos are imperior to the whiteman and superior to everyone else, but for us northerners we are all equal before God!

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos Don’t Trust Themselves – Ekwueme by IamPatriotic(m): 7:10pm On Oct 17, 2016
That is the problem with criminals, they rarely trust each other.

75 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Igbos Don’t Trust Themselves – Ekwueme by DONSMITH123(m): 7:11pm On Oct 17, 2016
grin grin grin grin grin

IamPatriotic:

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbos Don’t Trust Themselves – Ekwueme by ezechueze(m): 7:21pm On Oct 17, 2016
OK
Re: Igbos Don’t Trust Themselves – Ekwueme by CltrAltDel: 7:40pm On Oct 17, 2016
This is not new now. .....we have been telling them since. .......they only trust criminals .........be it hausa, yoruba, igbo, ijaw etc grin grin grin grin

10 Likes

Re: Igbos Don’t Trust Themselves – Ekwueme by victorvezx(m): 7:44pm On Oct 17, 2016
IamPatriotic:
E be like say u sabi there original character well well. No mind the useless flat-heads

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbos Don’t Trust Themselves – Ekwueme by WINNERMENTALITY: 7:51pm On Oct 17, 2016
Media,, Na wao....Sothe headline of being tthe first after white is not a good heading

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Don’t Trust Themselves – Ekwueme by Mc4larin: 7:55pm On Oct 17, 2016
Hello everyone, please i need a music producer to give me beat. I wanna do a song "IN THE OTHER ROOM"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbos Don’t Trust Themselves – Ekwueme by Nomswag: 7:59pm On Oct 17, 2016
victorvezx:

E be like say u sabi there original character well well. No mind the useless flat-heads
Abeg u guys should free our brothers from the south east joor...
by now I was expecting u guys (afonjas) to strategize, so u can get out of political slavery, you are here gossiping a tribe that are more intelligent than yours in all perspectives.

33 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Igbos Don’t Trust Themselves – Ekwueme by dhamstar(m): 8:05pm On Oct 17, 2016
Some shout-yeast would start shout that the igbos have marginalised now

7 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Governor Ihedioha Appoints Steve Osuji, Chibuike Onyeukwu As Adviser & Secretary / Lagos Didnt Deport Beggars, Only Reunited Them With Their Families / How Buhari Ignored Transition Committee’s Recommendation To Declare assets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.