Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,030 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:39 AM

Saddam Hussein Is Dead - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Saddam Hussein Is Dead (11278 Views)

Saddam Hussein As An Assassin / Mossad ‘tried To Kill’ Saddam Hussein Using ‘exploding Book’ / Saddam Hussein Sentenced To Death By Hanging (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Go Down)

Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by BigB11(m): 2:38am On Jan 02, 2007
Questions:[/b]Have you ever seen Saddam killing anyone?
                    Have you ever seen Saddam releasing MDW (gas) to killing anyone at any time?
                    Have you ever seen Saddam torturing anyone at any time?
                    Have you ever discovered any MDW at anytime in Iraq?

Even Donald Runsfed visited Saddam's palace several times during the 1980s after the [b]genocide
without any regards to the people of Iraq; up on-till  the middle of 1980s Saddam was still one of American's friends; how come America didn't probe him during this period?

Regardless of who you are, America will get you if they want you!
Saddam happened to be a perfect scape goat by being Mr Bush's worst enemy.
If Saddam had welcomed America to take over the oil drilling in Iraq, trust me, Saddam Hussein would have still been American number 1 friend and none of this free the people of Iraq propaganda would have occurred.

Yes, Saddam was an evil man, but who am I to judge another man?

May God bring peace to the world.
Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by Nobody: 5:51am On Jan 02, 2007
stiyke:

All you US haters,
You think america is bullying and invading countries with no cause??
Kudos to Bush.
I know he got faults but so does every human.

watever ur name is u just shown us how stupid u really are

bush had done it wrong u refuse to accept the fact that bush failed in his iran mission u r turning it around to US haters

is america not bullying other countries? do u want to deny how that US thwarts UN security council at its will and do watever they want to do with it. they even go against international treaties to prove they r US

he has got faults we agree every man has got faults but faults with respect to human lives only shows he is simply a hunter no wonder his name is bush

have u wondered how many senators sons are fighting in iraq? probably hunter bush should lead by example. back in the days when war was war the king leads his troops to battle let bush go to the front line and see how tough it is he would stop sending those kids to go and die in guise of paying for their education

why the hurry to execute saddam? that is not justice

show me one footage of the number of people dead by gas inhalation? or u beleive it cos US says so? we have world leaders that have committed greater crimes than saddam

to me saddam was just an empty barrel talking too loud to make him self known and happy- welll just as in chinua achebe's things fall apart BUsh have committed similar crime by killing saddam he should brace up cos he has just set his own bush on fire
Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by otokx(m): 6:11am On Jan 02, 2007
Some say its a brutal act of revenge.
Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by Mariory(m): 11:15am On Jan 02, 2007
Mariory:

I can dig up tapes of the last moments of people he had executed in front of camera.

Extreme caution is advised for those willing to view. ABSOLUTELY NOT SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN.

Torture Video:
http://www.aei.org/events/eventID.844,filter.all/event_detail.asp

More videos and pictures
http://fdd.typepad.com/fdd/2006/01/alert_saddams_c.html
Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by doriangray: 11:27am On Jan 02, 2007
To me Saddam was the best thing that could happen to Iraq. Iraq is a tough nation to rule, now u can see why Saddam had to use iron hand to deal with is people cos they are wild and would go on each others throat as soon as the opportunity is created. now US had created the opportunity let them deal with it

angry
Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by Afam(m): 11:51am On Jan 02, 2007
I could not believe my eyes reading from davidylan correctly pointing out certain faults or bad deeds of the US, this is a welcome development and I guess it did not escape the attention of other users of this forum.

I respect people that are bold enough to point out the good and the bad rather than blanket condemnation or commendation regardless of the facts.

On Saddam, 4 Play stated something about the death penalty, it will interest us to know that the death penalty was re-introduced in 2004 to pave the way for a death sentence for Saddam in a court process that was fully funded by the US, was in the US custody until 30 minutes before the hanging.

The chantings and tauntings by the executioners (Shiites) both before and after the hanging put paid to the speculations and conclusions that his execution was more of a revenge mission than justice for those Saddam was responsible for their deaths.

One thing is certain, the US will become more vulnerable, the US will leave Iraq in disgrace, the influence of the US in deciding what happens in other nations will reduce (and for good reasons too), more souls will be lost in Iraq.

One thing I find very difficult to understand is why Bush is still the president of the US, a man that lies and doesn't understand the world around him?
Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by chy92(f): 12:11pm On Jan 02, 2007
@ alabiyemmy
I agree with you 100%.I also feel that even if Saddam Hussein waz an evil man,he deserved to be 4given.Then G od will judge him in his own way."Vengance is mine saith the Lord". angry sad
Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by Ibukun2(f): 12:18pm On Jan 02, 2007
My opinion is that no person has the right to play GOD's role. It's only GOD who may decide for somebody to die. But well, it's not the first time that America takin over HIS role,  What is the use in killing him anyway? If people want him to suffer (whivh he definitely deserves without any doubt) then they should just put him in jail for the rest of his dirty, shameful life. That will make him more suffer than just killing him quick and painless.

Anyway, I don't think that killing Saddam Hussein will bring back the thousands of people that have died under his regime. It just causes the death of more and more people. Just look what is going on now on Iraq's streets because of his execution.

I wish y'all peace and love!!!
Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by woleprof(m): 1:18pm On Jan 02, 2007
America quest to rule and subdue all other countries in the world in the name of world power has been seen by as a neglect for the interest the world.

Most war they fought are more of selfish interest than the interest of the world. In the case of Osama Bin laden, many life were wasted in the wake of speculation that Osama was hibernating in Afghanistan. With all sincerity, most of those America re after are those that has committed grievous havoc against humanity but they only use it as an opportunity to get what they wanted.

American take advantage of an event to exploit their selfish interest. For those that says "let God judge", remeber if many vices and dangerous acts are allowed to go unpurnished the world would be terrible place for us. That means the court of law and other legal organisation would not be necessary.

I think sadam deserve to die. although his capture and prosecution is an advantage for th America but he has caused too many attrocities that warrant his execution
Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by krdea(m): 4:27pm On Jan 02, 2007
I think his execution was to a large extent unjust . The execution style adopted by Iraq and mediated by the U.S is clearly biased and uncalled for.  The Bush administarations stand on the war on Iraq is clearly a disgrace to Rules of Engagement. Kofi Annan was against it , his own citizens were against it, the late president Ford was against it and i am positive former President Bill Clinton too would have adopted another method to even things out .
Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by Omolulu(m): 4:43pm On Jan 02, 2007
It's ironic how people can overnight begin to feel pity for one who put sorrow on the faces of many iraqi citizens.No one has mentioned the 5000 kurds he mercilessly gassed with chemical weapons in 1988.yet some people are mourning over he who ended the life of so many people.The americans have made many mistakes but facilitating the execution of sadaam was not one of them.At least the world has gotten rid of one threat to world peace.
Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by Afam(m): 4:56pm On Jan 02, 2007
Was Saddam really a threat to world peace with a weak army and the north and southern part of Iraq designated as the no-fly zones?

If Iraq had a strong army the US would not have ventured into the country for whatever reasons just as it will not contemplate attacking Iran or North Korea.

Maybe you need to know why people are not happy with the way he was executed so you do not confuse it with mourning for Saddam.

As for the greatest threat to world peace today Bush will effortlessy take that title as he goes bombing anything he feels like bombing only to call them mistakes while hundreds of thousands of innocent people have been sent to their early graves.
Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by Mariory(m): 5:15pm On Jan 02, 2007
Omolulu:

It's ironic how people can overnight begin to feel pity for one who put sorrow on the faces of many iraqi citizens.No one has mentioned the 5000 kurds he mercilessly gassed with chemical weapons in 1988.

Exactly. The trend of posts in this thread seem to be. "I'm against Saddam's execution because the US invaded Iraq." Where or where has the sane police gone? Very soon some people will blame the US invasion of Iraq for their cold or cough.

Has anyone dared view the tapes of torture under Saddam? Or is this also the product of the US invasion.
Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by slashcuff(m): 6:59pm On Jan 02, 2007
Even As a Christian I felt very very bitter with the way Saddam was hanged, Yes he did bad and killed a lot but that does not justify the hangging. Did the hanging bring back the people Saddam killed? He could have been giving Life Imprisonment and let him die there instead of habging him, This will be the trend for all dictactorship around the world, now Americans will see it as a well deserved purnishment for Dictactors. Pls lets all speak out against inhuman, and obey human rights.
Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by 4Play(m): 7:46pm On Jan 02, 2007
@slashcuff

There is one little problem with your analysis,Iraqis are not Christians and have no qualms with the death penalty

There is another dimension that people do not look at,everyday around the world the -US,Nigeria,Iraq included-people are regularly executed for a variety of crimes

In Nigeria people are executed for armed robbery whether or not they actually killed anyone yet no one says a word about it-is it because its not televised?

if we are not concerned about the execution of armed robbers how come we are so passionate about the execution of a mass murderer?
Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by Eurphoria(f): 7:51pm On Jan 02, 2007
Fraff
Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by Reverend(m): 7:52pm On Jan 02, 2007
Yes, that is the key,

As long as other people commit crimes against humanity and murder people in cold blood then it is OK undecided

Saddam should have been spared because other people are also doing these things

100% BULLSHIT

Saddam got what he deserved fair and square. As for God forgiving him. If there really was a God then he would not have let these terrible things have happened to all those innocent people lipsrsealed
Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by OLadi(m): 7:55pm On Jan 02, 2007
Yeah Saddam is dead, but we still have North Korea, other dictators around the world that in my opinion are worse and more dangerous than Saddam,

its like the whole world is a ticking time bomb, na wa o!, God Help us
Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by wonderar(f): 9:15pm On Jan 02, 2007
every killer deserve to die, it's a pity how he lived his life and how it ended,
though people say president Bush is the devil, but it's very obvious who the devil is, Bush just stand as a guardian to the American people and most people in the world, even if they come out and say he is evil,,indoors they are thanking God that some one could actually stand up to the devil,
in my opinion i believe Bush is sent to deliver some part of the continent, but he must be careful not to over do things,
!!!!! thank God for eliminating evil from the midst of evil people, which u and i know,
Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by tulex(m): 10:52pm On Jan 02, 2007
Are you sure that guy is dead?

It doesn't feel safe to come out ooooh
Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by McKren(m): 11:15pm On Jan 02, 2007
RESIDENTS of some parts of the country are now gripped with fear over the threat by some fanatics to protest the execution of the former Iraqi president, Saddam Hussein.

Nigerian Tribune gathered that various Islamic groups in Plateau, Yobe, Kano, Borno, Sokoto, the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja, and many other states were now organising themselves to unleash terror on non-indigenes in those parts of the country.

Non-indigenes of the area and some Christian leaders, the Nigerian Tribune gathered, were also making plans to seek refuge in some security quarters in the states to protect their lives.

Intelligence reports from the security agencies also confirmed that some Muslim fanatics were planning mayhem on non-Muslims all over the country.

Police Commissioner of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Mr. Lawrence Alobi, disclosed to the Nigerian Tribune in a telephone interview in Abuja on Monday that “the fanatics also planned to attack churches and properties of non-Muslims.”

He, however, said that the police were ready to curtail the potential insurgence and advised residents of the FCT and other parts of the country not to panic, but to go about their normal daily activities.

He said security had been beefed up around all churches in Abuja following the intelligence report.

In Plateau State, there was a wild display by some youths while coming from the Muslim prayer ground on Saturday. The youth, who rode in trucks, threatened inhabitants with cutlasses, clubs, spears and swords.

Nigerian Tribune gathered that residents of Ahmadu Bello Way, Abattoir Road, Bauchi Road, Terminus area and other parts of Jos were disturbed by the threats of the fanatics.

In Yobe State, a group called Shittes planned demonstrations in Potiskum, threatening to stage a vengeance protest against the execution of Saddam.

The protest in Potiskum was, however, nipped in the bud by the state Commissioner of Police, Mr. Eugene Njepu, and the Emir of Potiskum. The situation in Kano State was calm on Tuesday after threats by some Islamic fundamentalists.

But, the Nigerian Tribune gathered that the group had only postponed its action. Nigerian Tribune gathered further that the Federal Government had sent a signal through the office of the Inspector General of Police, Mr. Sunday Ehindero, that security be beefed up across the country to prevent a situation where the security forces could be caught napping.

According to another source, police formations across the country, together with other security and intelligence agencies, had fortified their various states. Saddam, who ruled Iraq for about 30 years, was overthrown four years ago after the invasion of the country by forces led by the United States.

Meanwhile, a Lagos-based Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO), Human Rights Watch (HRW), has condemned the execution of the former Iraqi leader, saying “Saddam Hussein was responsible for massive human rights violations, but that can’t justify giving him the death penalty, which is cruel and inhuman punishment.”

Speaking through its director of International Justice Programme, Mr. Richard Dicker, it stated that HRW had for more than 15 years documented the human rights crimes committed by Hussein’s government, and had campaigned to bring the perpetrators to justice”, stressing that this did not mean that Hussein should be executed.

The group, in a statement, said it was opposed to the death penalty in all circumstances, noting that “increasingly, governments are abolishing the death penalty in domestic law. “The test of a government’s commitment to human rights is measured by the way it treats its worst offenders”, said Dicker in the statement, noting that “history will judge these actions harshly.”

Hussein was tried by a tribunal for crimes against humanity. The tribunal, which was backed by the United States, passed a death sentence on him in November for ordering the execution of about 140 Shiites.

Saddam was hanged on Saturday which incidentally fell on a Muslim festival and this angered some Muslims around the world. Immediately after his execution, Libya declared three days of national mourning for him just like Saudi Arabia which disrupted its aviation and telecommunications networks, while in Nigeria, the execution elicited mixed feelings among Muslims.

A report issued in November 2006 by Human Rights Watch identified numerous flaws in the trial of Hussein for the Dujail executions. The 97-page report, “Judging Dujail: The First Trial Before the Iraqi High Tribunal,” according to HRW, was based on 10 months of observation and dozens of interviews with judges, prosecutors and defence lawyers.

If Nothern governors and leaders in general can't stop this one I will personally join any protest calling for the division of Nigeria. The other time it was a cartoon in far way denmark this time its faraway Iraq. Issues that have nothing to do with Nigeria.
Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by virozuru(f): 6:40am On Jan 03, 2007
they have the actual video of his hanging on youtube.com
Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by Afam(m): 9:10am On Jan 03, 2007
4 Play:

@slashcuff
There is one little problem with your analysis,Iraqis are not Christians and have no qualms with the death penalty

Wrong!!! We have christains in Iraq. The last VP under Saddam Tariq Azeez was a christain and about 3% of the whole of Iraq is made up of christains.

I am sure the news on several media about the huge demonstrations mainly by the Sunnis about the hanging is enough to show that some people opposed the way the hanging of Saddam went.

Even the president of Iran did state that those that armed him, supported him finally directed him to his death even though the US helped the Iranians get rid of its enemy.

On death penalty proper, it was re-introduced in 2004 to pave the way for a death sentence for Saddam.
Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by alabiyemmy(m): 1:20pm On Jan 03, 2007
The mass murder was committed while Saddam was still a crony to America. How come he wasnt tried at that time? Who made Saddam? Who made Osama Bin Laden? America, but when things fell out - they both became an enemy.

Lesson - your friend today will - not might - definitely become your enemy and your downfall tommorrow.
Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by BigB11(m): 1:37pm On Jan 03, 2007
America usually make these people when things are going well; and then turn against them when things look cloudy.
Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by BigB11(m): 1:37pm On Jan 03, 2007
Even Donald Runsfed visited Saddam's palace several times during the 1980s after the genocide without any regards to the people of Iraq; up on-till  the middle of 1980s Saddam was still one of American's friends; how come America didn't probe him for the genocide during this period?

Only God can bring peace to the world.
Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by BigB11(m): 1:40pm On Jan 03, 2007
The same thing is going to happen to the president of Pakistan and Afghanistan.
Mark it down; very very soon these two folks will use tools given to them by America to join hands with Iran and work against America.
Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by McKren(m): 1:45pm On Jan 03, 2007
Big B1:

Even Donald Runsfed visited Saddam's palace several times during the 1980s after the genocide without any regards to the people of Iraq; up on-till the middle of 1980s Saddam was still one of American's friends; how come America didn't probe him during this period?

Any leader who know what they are doing dont need to be friends to US and UK. They only associate with people they benefit from. Dont you see the Chinese and Indian leaders. Their relationship with the west is just cordial and I think that is enough. the utmost concern should be how to deevelop your nation and not romancing the west. If your nation is developed you will earn their respect. But if you think you can lobby for the respect of the white man when you are worth nothing, like frank nweke jr. is doing, you are waisting your time.
Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by alabiyemmy(m): 2:48pm On Jan 03, 2007
And that is why UK and America doesnt want peace in Nigeria - they know what they are doing.
Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by Reverend(m): 3:14pm On Jan 03, 2007
alabiyemmy:

And that is why UK and America doesnt want peace in Nigeria - they know what they are doing.

I don't even think that America and the UK know what is happening inside Nigeria, Cant blame them for religious in-fighting!
Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by alabiyemmy(m): 3:16pm On Jan 03, 2007
@ Reverend

We aint blaming them for the fighting. We are talking about silent political maneuvres all in the name of foreign policy. Every country knows about what is going on in every other country - that is why they have missions and embassies in each country.
Re: Saddam Hussein Is Dead by Reverend(m): 3:26pm On Jan 03, 2007
I still don't think that the US and UK want instability in Nigeria. Both countries invest vast amounts of money in aid each and every year and I think the relationship with the UK is a good one!

It is a pretty good rule of thumb that where you find Muslim extremism, Islamist terrorism, and women being sentenced to death by stoning, there you will find Saudi funds and Saudi-trained personnel.

Non-Muslims, usually Christians, have become second-class citizens. Their taxes pay for Islamic preachers, while hundreds of churches have been closed by government order.

This spread of radical Islam has also led to riots, mob attacks, and vigilantes, producing the largest death toll in Nigeria since the civil war over Biafra in the 1960s. Over 10,000 people have died in the last four years in sharia-related violence — perhaps over 1,000 in the central states this year alone.

This is not supported morally or financially by the UK or the US, Look towards the East undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Pistorius' Father Accuses South-Africa Of Racism / African Group Drums Support For Phil Murphy's Re-election As New Jersey Governor / Usa Economy Is Falling

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.