Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,051 members, 7,825,344 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 12:04 PM

Military Weapons as Raw Materials for Blacksmiths in Sierra Leone - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Military Weapons as Raw Materials for Blacksmiths in Sierra Leone (2299 Views)

Chad Intercepts ISIS Weapons Going To Boko Haram / Buhari Forex policy Boosting local raw materials and manufacturing- Punch / Photos of seized weapons as military captures Alagarno in Borno state (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Military Weapons as Raw Materials for Blacksmiths in Sierra Leone by Seun(m): 10:26pm On Nov 30, 2005

According to the Good Gifts Catalogue (a website where you can buy various gifts for poor people in developing nations):
"Peace is paying dividends in Sierra Leone. The same civil war that depleted the country of tools and work is now providing ample raw material for recovery: weapons. Enterprising blacksmiths and metal workers convert them into farm implements so that a Kalashnikov becomes hoes and axe heads and a rocket launcher transforms into pickaxes, sickles and even school bells.

"The indisputable heavyweight champ is a tank (or a heavy duty 16 wheeler) that can provide a year's work for 5 blacksmiths, turning it into 3,000 items vital to equip a farming village of 100 families. Jobs, tools, agriculture. It isn't everyday that what you long for comes true."

Currently, using a credit card, you can buy 4 kinds of used military weapons for blacksmiths in Sierra-Leone:
- A Kalashnikov (AK-47 Machine Gun) for £25.00.
- A Rocket launcher for £55.00
- A Small Armoured Vehicle for £250.00
- An Armored Tank for £1,000

So who is planning to buy a military weapon for Blacksmiths in Seirra-leone who are trying to rebuild their lives after the costly civil war?
Re: Military Weapons as Raw Materials for Blacksmiths in Sierra Leone by vexxy(f): 10:29pm On Nov 30, 2005
I will have to look into this more but it's definitely something worth contributing to. Knowing about the war and how it ravaged that place; they need a lot of help in rebuilding.
Re: Military Weapons as Raw Materials for Blacksmiths in Sierra Leone by joftech(m): 2:21am On Dec 01, 2005
Finally Bible's prophesy is coming to pass in our lifetime.

I hope they are disabling all those weapons.
Re: Military Weapons as Raw Materials for Blacksmiths in Sierra Leone by Jakumo(m): 7:20am On Dec 01, 2005
Brings to mind an old song with the chorus :

" And into plow-shears turn their swords, nations shall make war no more"
Re: Military Weapons as Raw Materials for Blacksmiths in Sierra Leone by Oracle(m): 12:07am On Dec 02, 2005
i dunno what to say
well they've tried
Re: Military Weapons as Raw Materials for Blacksmiths in Sierra Leone by exu(m): 1:00pm On Dec 02, 2005
Was the [pain of war] also part of the 'bible prophesy'?

Those people have suffered, undeservedly so.

I'm glad that the situation there is somewhat settled now.  And also, that people are using their initiative: making the best use of what they have; turning a negative instrument into a positive one.
Re: Military Weapons as Raw Materials for Blacksmiths in Sierra Leone by vexxy(f): 1:57pm On Dec 02, 2005
Exu, my thoughts exactly. I had not heard of this until a few days ago.

Seun, thanks for the info. I'm going to pass it along to several of the Sierra Leonian groups I know of in this area. Maybe a fundraiser can be done to send the needed funds back home.
Re: Military Weapons as Raw Materials for Blacksmiths in Sierra Leone by kelvin(m): 2:04pm On Dec 08, 2005
What a good way to start after so much trouble

(1) (Reply)

Tension In Rivers State: Pdp Gubernatorial Candidate, Rotimi Amaechi Arrested / Iran Has Caputured Fifteen British Navy At Gunpoint / Rccg Warns Ac Against Linking Adeboye With Corruption

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.