Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,081 members, 7,811,030 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:13 PM

The Isawas Of Zaria - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Isawas Of Zaria (1314 Views)

The Seven Igbo Plagues And The Northern Pharoh By Dr Tukur Danmuazu Zaria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Isawas Of Zaria by GeneralTee: 10:48am On Oct 21, 2016
The Isawa of Zaria

A major development took place in the Zaria mission in 1913 – the coming of the representatives of the Isawa or Ansa(1). The Isawa (meaning followers of Jesus) were followers of the teachings of one Mallam Ibrahim who had been executed in Kano market by the emir for his “extreme” belief in Jesus Christ. Mallam Ibrahim lived in Kano in the latter part of the 19th century. While studying the Qur’an he took special notes of the references to Jesus (Isa). According to him, “I determined to make a careful study right through the Koran and collect all references to the Prophet Jesus. Who is this of whom our Prophet writes? Can this be a man like the others mentioned in our book? Is this not a greater than all, greater than even Mohammed himself?(2)

He visited Cairo where he acquired a copy of the New Testament in Arabic(3). He thereafter concluded that Jesus was supreme to all the prophets, including Mohammed; and he also fervently preached the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. When he presented his views to the emir, he was asked to recant them, but he refused. He was thereafter executed upon a stake in Kano market.(4).

Before his death he had gathered followers around him and warned them to flee to the boundaries of Kano, Zaria and Bauchi emirates. (5). He also prophesied that God will reveal the true faith to them later on. (6) They were persecuted after Ibrahim’s death, but again the man who succeeded him, Yahaya, prophesied that strangers from the West would bring knowledge of the truth about “Prophet Jesus”.(7). Interestingly, the Isawa remained Muslims, but regarded Jesus above all other prophets and sometimes prayed in his name.(cool.

In 1913 two Isawa heard some Christians from the Zaria Mission (founded by W. R. Miller) talking about Jesus Christ; they immediately followed them to the mission compound, where they stayed for a week, and where later joined by two others.(9). They told the Zaria Christians about other Isawas who were awaiting the teaching of Jesus as prophesied by Ibrahim and Yahaya.

The Zaria Christians followed this up by moving out to engage the Isawa in their territory with the gospel; fortunately they responded to the message.(10). It was thereafter decided that it would be good if all of them lived together in a Christian community. (11). Approval for a land was gotten from the Emir of Zaria with the help of Luggard and 115 people moved to Gimi near Zaria where they established a community. This community was greatly assisted by a CMS West Indian Pastor, W. A. Thompson, who also started a sugar crushing company. (12).

The school age children were later sent to the CMS School in Zaria. While they were away, sleeping sickness practically wiped out the Gimi adult population.(13). The Gimi children who had relocated to school in Zaria and other children from the Zaria station later became “a most respected group in the North” and occupied positions of great responsibility.(14).

Some of them were: R. A. B. Dikko – the first doctor in northern Nigeria; Ishaya Audu(15) – the first Nigerian Vice Chancellor of Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria; Mallam E. O. Abdu- one of the first northern education officers; Mallam P. B. Ishaku – one time principal of the school of pharmacy in Zaria; Yakubu Gowon – Nigeria’s military head of state: 1966-75; and Miss Maude Miller – first northern lady to become a principal of a secondary school and later a state Commissioner. (16).

Note:
1. Ayandele, The Missionary Factor in Northern Nigeria, p. 518.
2. Crampton, Christianity in Northern Nigeria, p.129.
3. Sundkler, B. and Steed, C. A history of the church in Africa, p.254.
4. “A Remarkable Movement among Moslems in Nigeria “, The Evangelical Christian and Missionary Witness, August 1913, p.216.
5. Crampton, Christianity in Nigeria, p.130.
6. Ibid.
7. Ibid.
8. Daniel, A. “There Jesus is not a Son, “ Occupy 18, no. 2, p.15.
9. Crampton, Christianity in Northern Nigeria, p.130.
10. A remarkable movement among Moslems in Nigeria, p.216.
11. Stock, History of CMS, p.73.
12. Sundkler, A History of the Church in Africa, p.254.
13. Ayandele, the missionary factor, p.519.
14. Crampton, Christianity in Northern Nigeria, p.131.
1[b]5. Prof Ishaya Audu was someone I knew in my school days in Zaria. His wife led a Pentecostal church, Charity and Faith, in Samaru Zaria. He was retired when I knew him and old. But he had this Monday evening Bible study he led. I attended it two or three times. He adhered to the old evangelical style of teaching scriptures verse by verse. I doubt very strongly if ever was Pentecostal. I remember studying Romans with him. This historical record cannot but be true bc I personally knew at least this one person in the record. Ishaya Audu was a medical doctor too. He was personal physician to the Sardauna himself. I find it interesting that a Christian group could emerge from Islam simply by studying scriptures and I knew at least a scion of these people. God word is true (These are my personal input to the text not part of the book by Ayodeji).[/b]
16. Crampton, Christianity in Northern Nigeria.

Culled from HERITAGE OF FAITH by Ayodeji Abodunde

CC: lalasticlala, Seun, Mynd44
Re: The Isawas Of Zaria by GeneralTee: 10:50am On Oct 21, 2016
Preserved

(1) (Reply)

How To Praise Your Victory In With The #hallelujahchallenge By Nathaniel Bassey / Muhammad's Satanic Verses / 7 False Teachers In The Church Today. (Updated)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.