Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,672 members, 7,823,898 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:44 PM

Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old (57941 Views)

The 10 Books You Should Read In 2020 To Have A Productive Year / Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read / What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by tete7000(m): 12:38am On Oct 22, 2016
charix:

I can never equate a 1,000 page book to five 50 word summaries. 250 words would last me ~20 minutes or less but a 1,000 page novel may take me two days maybe more if one puts slow parts of the book into consideration.

I once read the book the art of seduction. It was the worst waste of time I had ever indulged in. The book contained stupid story upon stupid story I was better off not reading. It was the reason I chose to read summaries over books themselves. Riddle me this, if you miss a live event but know people who witnessed it, what's the first action which'd come to mind? Obviously you'd ask around. Shared information is a quicker way to assimilate things because the other party breaks down the message into easy and understandable language one can always remember.

Different means to the same end. You can also teach them a sport. Those build discipline even faster.

A picture contains a thousand words. Two pages chucked full of only descriptions are easily broken into one movie scene. The only problem movies have against books is people imagine scenes different from their visual depiction.

I agree with this, the problem is a lot of books are not worth the time spent.

Vocabulary mostly and an air of superiority is what notice the most in book readers. As for patience, my prior response addresses it.

Four hour movies and series fill this role.

As humans behave in times of information overload. I'd tell you a fact: there are more books available in the world today than readers. If you add blogs, journals and other forms of literature then you'd understand why people don't pay attention to details anymore.

Its been nice engaging you. Have a sweet night rest if you havent slept before my message arrives. However you shouldn't change your reading culture because of one episode of reading. For me reading is an hobby I want to pass on to my kids. On a book now, guess the title: Arsene Wenger by John Cross. I believe you won't mind reading it if you loves Arsenal. It gives a lot of insight into the man Wenger, his philosophy and time so far at the club. I am not sure that is yet in a film or summary and won't do summary for you. grin
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by Gkemz: 12:54am On Oct 22, 2016
It's never to late to learn new knowledge. I've read rich dad, Napoleon hill Think and grow rich, emotional intelligence and IQ but I'm gonna get these ones soonest possible. Anyone who needs anger management or you deal with offensive customers should get a copy of Emotional intelligence.
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by paulhq(m): 12:57am On Oct 22, 2016
I suggest the title of this thread should have been "five books I read and recommend you read before 25" .
I recommend
- How to stop worrying and start living (and all Dale Carnegie books)
- The greatest salesman in the world (and all OG Mandino books)
- What makes the great great - Dennis P. Kimbro
- The monk who sold his Ferrari - Robin Sharma
- Outliers - Malcolm Gladwell

These are not just books on "do this" and "do that", these are books. By books, I means well written books. And the best part is, these are books that I could lay my hand on, meaning I may even find books better off. Most of the books people listed are the popular ones book sellers in Nigeria stock. Believe me, there are better books out there. But I didn't list the books because they are better, I listed them because they changed my life, may not change yours, it's ok.

I may also want to add
- The success principles - Jack Canefield
- Love, the way to victory - Kenneth Hagin

I also want to chip this in (just an opinion), 48 laws of power, rich dad poor dad, and most especially why you act the way you do are over hyped. I highly recommend you read them (except why you act the way you do), but regard the contents as opinions of the writers, not universal laws.

Lastly, for those of you saying "I'll rather read the bible", that is the most popular excuse people give.Why don't you say the same thing when asked to read a maths or physics textbook, since the bible contains "all knowledge needed". God still inspires people today just like in the days of old. The truth is, 90% of people who use this excuse don't even read their bible as their statement would make it seem. (disclaimer: I am a christian).

Ps: stay away from spiritual books if you don't like them. Christians like me are criticized for reading less spiritual books, but in my opinion, one should pick a book not because of it's title or genre, but because of it's style of writing. Most pastors don't know how to write, they only write because they see their mates writing and because they have a reference book, the bible, to shop lift data from.

cheers smiley

2 Likes

Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by danidee10(m): 2:23am On Oct 22, 2016
THE ART OF PROGRAMMING BY DONALD KNUTH grin

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by koolJ1(f): 2:24am On Oct 22, 2016
Geeweeny:
ma nicca my nicca.Lol, u just took d words out of my mouth,add The Prince by machaevelli

The Prince, mos def
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by koolJ1(f): 2:25am On Oct 22, 2016
telad:

Wow, great books u have there, hope u r not hiding Robert art of seduction from us.

Think and grow rich by Napoleon Hill, why you ask the way you do by Tim Lahaye, Secret mind of Power by Harry Lorayne is also great.

Read them all except Secret mind of Power.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by koolJ1(f): 2:28am On Oct 22, 2016
Sanchez01:

These books are very good but at the same time dangerous. They are books that would teach you to take anyone down just because you want to get to the top.

Christians who desire strong spiritual growth should read read these books;

1. Tongues beyond the upper room.
2. I dare to call Him Father
3. The True Nature of God
4. The Holy Spirit and Temperament (Tim LaHaye)
5. Daily devotionals grin

At no point will you find yourself applying all the concepts in a given situation, and even when you do apply any, discretion is necessary. Reversals are also obtainable. So, just like cars can be a source of misfortune (accidents), these books and many more can also be
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by rhektor(m): 3:03am On Oct 22, 2016
Truth234:
How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie

Think Big and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill

Dale Carnegie is the real deal, I love that book so much
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by Nobody: 4:21am On Oct 22, 2016
movmentish:

Its not manipulative in the real sense of it, its just knowledge is for the betterment of he who posseses it. You dont agree?
Im yet to see one person who read those things and achieved any tangible thing
Even the pastors who manipulate people do so using the bible
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by Nobody: 4:24am On Oct 22, 2016
Tapalos:
All these books are available with these guys for cheap and much more.
Check them out.

Charis Ebook Centre is the Largest digital bookstore in Nigeria.

ANY eBOOK by ANY AUTHOR in ANY AREA is AVAILABLE in our e-store. Contact us Via Whatsapp 07051505626 or Call 08189300870.

Charis Ebook Centre....Lighting the FIRE of KNOWLEDGE & SUPERNATURAL ENCOUNTERS.
Guys like you are the real winners
Sell the gullible folk these stupid books and convince them that they will be rich by reading it
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by Damfostopper(m): 6:13am On Oct 22, 2016
but the truth is... av not read any of those books
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by movmentish(m): 7:37am On Oct 22, 2016
BUTCHCASSIDY:

Im yet to see one person who read those things and achieved any tangible thing
Even the pastors who manipulate people do so using the bible
If the application of knowledge (for good or evil) is what you call manipulation, so be it.... You know the pastors are manipulative first by understanding the same bible comprehensively
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by DerrickzB: 7:56am On Oct 22, 2016
slurryeye:

Me I dey place wey many times better pass Cotonou o. So take your advice and do the necessary grin

Lol.. i dey ok here oh
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by Ruhamah23(m): 8:04am On Oct 22, 2016
I also want to suggest this book Emotional intelligence

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by iamphill: 8:17am On Oct 22, 2016
Bryan12:
Think and grow rich by napoloen hill

best book of all time very practical and straight to the point
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by iamphill: 8:22am On Oct 22, 2016
This is a must read for everyone.
The 50th Law by Robert Greene and Curtis Jackson (aka 50cent)
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by Damolux01(m): 8:26am On Oct 22, 2016
Who has the audio or soft copy? Send to damolux01@gmail.com. Thanks!
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by EXICON(m): 8:34am On Oct 22, 2016
Great Books.
Meanwhile, you can check my signature and contact me if you want more of such books.
Over 500 e-books.
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by akaahs(m): 8:35am On Oct 22, 2016
Read all of dem, i think THE PURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE by Rick Warren should be included.

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by Nobody: 8:44am On Oct 22, 2016
movmentish:

If the application of knowledge (for good or evil) is what you call manipulation, so be it.... You know the pastors are manipulative first by understanding the same bible comprehensively
Either by understanding the bible comprehensively or the sheep not understanding the bible comprehensively
Depends on how you see it
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by Bryan12(m): 8:47am On Oct 22, 2016
m
iamphill:

best book of all time very practical and straight to the point
i tell you brother.have you read any of robert greene's work
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by misscall247: 9:10am On Oct 22, 2016
slurryeye:
Why before turning 25?

Does it mean if you read any of the book after turning 25, you'll run mad?
hahahaha.......I wonder ooo
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by movmentish(m): 9:15am On Oct 22, 2016
BUTCHCASSIDY:

Either by understanding the bible comprehensively or the sheep not understanding the bible comprehensively
Depends on how you see it
And yet you dont see how one can get successful by reading (acquiring knowledge)
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by zyzxx(m): 9:16am On Oct 22, 2016
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by Nobody: 10:11am On Oct 22, 2016
movmentish:

And yet you dont see how one can get successful by reading (acquiring knowledge)

Is that what I said? Pls point out where I said one cant be successful by acquiring knowledge
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by tobechi20(m): 10:22am On Oct 22, 2016
Godbest:
The secret
authored by
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by yinkeys(m): 11:32am On Oct 22, 2016
koolJ1:
48 Laws of Power - Robert Greene

The Art of War - Sun Tzu
correct chick. Mastery - Robert greene
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by movmentish(m): 11:47am On Oct 22, 2016
BUTCHCASSIDY:

Is that what I said? Pls point out where I said one cant be successful by acquiring knowledge
you said you've not seen one person who read those books achieve anything tangible... Which by the way, i think is false. For every book you read, you've achieved the most important of achievement. Its called knowledge
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by Nobody: 11:48am On Oct 22, 2016
koolJ1:
48 Laws of Power - Robert Greene

The Art of War - Sun Tzu
the art of seduction- Robert greene
Re: Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old by Nobody: 11:51am On Oct 22, 2016
Also read
Stwolun fund and kworoption - by: Buhari

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The 20 Target (+18) / Throwback: Nigerian Literature Books We Used In Secondary School!!! / Marital Vice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.