Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,999 members, 7,838,512 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:13 AM

Buhari’s Economic Policies Not Working –MAN, NLC, TUC, Others - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari’s Economic Policies Not Working –MAN, NLC, TUC, Others (16750 Views)

Tinubu Criticizes Buhari's Economic Policies, Says I Won't Ignore The Truth.. / Emergency Powers Bill: LCCI, MAN, NLC, Others Back Buhari’s Proposals / Buhari’s Economic Policies “opaque, Archaic” – Oby Ezekwesili (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari’s Economic Policies Not Working –MAN, NLC, TUC, Others by gabe: 1:58pm On Oct 22, 2016
People shout economic policy as if words can drag u from a recession. Only cure for a recession is spending. That was what Obama did. He has started spending on infrastucture: over 700billion on roads/rail/housing. We are expecting bumper rice harvest in nov/dec to crash prices. We cant afford a refinery now, but dangote will end fuel import by jan 2018. Make e cut em preek for una?
Re: Buhari’s Economic Policies Not Working –MAN, NLC, TUC, Others by KardinalZik(m): 2:00pm On Oct 22, 2016
sarrki:

Many are quick to point fingers

Some had uncountable failed relationship

And will come out to rain insult on our GCFR

What is this one saying?

So, a failed relationship is akin to a failed country, right?
Who borrow your brain?

2 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Economic Policies Not Working –MAN, NLC, TUC, Others by Newmanluckyman(m): 2:11pm On Oct 22, 2016
NaijaEfcc:
Dayo Oketola, Success Nwogu, Gbenro Adeoye and Jesusegun Alagbe

http://punchng.com/buharis-economic-policies-not-working-man-nlc-tuc-others/
... PMB never prepared to be president just that Providence foist it on us. He has no economic plan from day one and he can't have it after 2019.You can't give what you don't have.
Re: Buhari’s Economic Policies Not Working –MAN, NLC, TUC, Others by duni04(m): 2:17pm On Oct 22, 2016
porozhniy:

Bros,I did not expect any form of magic from Buhari, I expected purpose driven leadership and clear-cut economic policies for the country whilst taking everyone along.
We spend the bulk of the forex we earn importing refined petroleum products and food we can easily produce, yet 18months down the line:
we do not know the direction we're heading in refining our own petroleum products,
we do not have any plans to be self sufficient in milk,wheat,palmoil and rice production.
these important raw materials for the few industries operating in the country.

Note: The 2016 budget bench mark was pegged at $38, crude oil has averaged $45 all through 2016.
Nigeria does not earn all of it's forex from crude sales, Nigerians living abroad remitted $20.8 Billion in 2015.

but then, it seems you know more about this Administration's economic policies, so can you highlight someof the policies adopted by this administration (short term, medium term or long term) to get us out of this recession?
Even though I totally disagree (with proof) with some of the points you've raised, I'm happy because you're at least offering an intelligent critique unlike the other fools that just come here and scream buhari.
Saying we're not doing anything about refining crude locally is false. At some point this year, before the bombings began in the Niger delta, we were doing around 60% capacity utilization and producing about 10million litres per day in January.

www.google.com.ng/amp/www.premiumtimesng.com/business/196250-nigerian-refineries-now-produce-6-7-million-litres-of-petrol-daily-nnpc.html/amp?client=ms-android-tecno.

Demand for petrol in Nigeria is more than 30 million litres per day. Even if our refineries are producing at optimum capacity, we won't meet local demand. Hence the need to augment with imports. Now we obviously need more refining capacity inorder to reduce our dependence on imports. The government will not and should not build more refineries because the government cannot manage them as we have seen with the ones we currently have. What we can do is encourage private corporations to build. We have taken the right step towards this by deregulating and allowing the market control prices so that private refiners will nit sell at government prices. When dangote refinery and others come on stream very soon, Nigeria will noy only have enough petroleume products for itself, we will also feed the rest of west Africa.

I'm not sure you've been following the rice revolution in the north and some southern states. With the CBN assisted anchor borrowers scheme, plenty small holder farmers have access to credit to improve on their yield per hectare and get better returns from their produce.

The 2015 budget was indeed pegged at USD 38 per barrel at a projected production of 2.2 million barrels per day. Even though the price of oil has hovered above this for most of the year, we have not been producing more than 1.5 million barrels for most of the year because of those fools in the delta blowing up pipelines. Do the maths. There's an obvious shortfall and a deficit to be filled.
I'm not here to hold brief for buhari or anyone. I'm also a victim of this "change". I'm also buying food at crazy prices. The difference is that I know what the problems are and I know exactly who is responsible. I know who the idiot is that came to LAGOS and gave money from our reserves to Obas for a stupid campaign. I know the idiot that told the national assembly he wanted to use USD2.2 billion to fight a war and ended up sharing the money to his party brothers, money that we desperately need now!
We all know that idiot. Let's put the blame for our problems where we should put it.
Re: Buhari’s Economic Policies Not Working –MAN, NLC, TUC, Others by porozhniy(m): 2:25pm On Oct 22, 2016
gabe:
People shout economic policy as if words can drag u from a recession. Only cure for a recession is spending. That was what Obama did. He has started spending on infrastucture: over 700billion on roads/rail/housing. We are expecting bumper rice harvest in nov/dec to crash prices. We cant afford a refinery now, but dangote will end fuel import by jan 2018. Make e cut em preek for una?
Ironically, the Fed. govt. does not need to spend on refineries, it just need to make owning and operating a modular refinery a prerequisite to get any form of license in the petroleum industry (Independent petroleum marketers).
You think the only cure for recession is spending, yet the CBN is busy raising interest rates, shouldn't interest rates be at it's lowest at this point?
You are expecting bumper rice harvest, yet we lack storage and processing facilities!
That you think a clear-cut policy direction from the Federal govt. is mere word of mouth is laughable, anybody who fails to plan has failed already.
Re: Buhari’s Economic Policies Not Working –MAN, NLC, TUC, Others by Splashme: 2:26pm On Oct 22, 2016
Amah70:
Bigger worry is: President Buhari may not even understand that his administration's economic policies are not working.
Re: Buhari’s Economic Policies Not Working –MAN, NLC, TUC, Others by porozhniy(m): 2:50pm On Oct 22, 2016
duni04:

Even though I totally disagree (with proof) with some of the points you've raised, I'm happy because you're at least offering an intelligent critique unlike the other fools that just come here and scream buhari.
Saying we're not doing anything about refining crude locally is false. At some point this year, before the bombings began in the Niger delta, we were doing around 60% capacity utilization and producing about 10million litres per day in January.

www.google.com.ng/amp/www.premiumtimesng.com/business/196250-nigerian-refineries-now-produce-6-7-million-litres-of-petrol-daily-nnpc.html/amp?client=ms-android-tecno.

Demand for petrol in Nigeria is more than 30 million litres per day. Even if our refineries are producing at optimum capacity, we won't meet local demand. Hence the need to augment with imports. Now we obviously need more refining capacity inorder to reduce our dependence on imports. The government will not and should not build more refineries because the government cannot manage them as we have seen with the ones we currently have. What we can do is encourage private corporations to build. We have taken the right step towards this by deregulating and allowing the market control prices so that private refiners will nit sell at government prices. When dangote refinery and others come on stream very soon, Nigeria will noy only have enough petroleume products for itself, we will also feed the rest of west Africa.

I'm not sure you've been following the rice revolution in the north and some southern states. With the CBN assisted anchor borrowers scheme, plenty small holder farmers have access to credit to improve on their yield per hectare and get better returns from their produce.

The 2015 budget was indeed pegged at USD 38 per barrel at a projected production of 2.2 million barrels per day. Even though the price of oil has hovered above this for most of the year, we have not been producing more than 1.5 million barrels for most of the year because of those fools in the delta blowing up pipelines. Do the maths. There's an obvious shortfall and a deficit to be filled.
I'm not here to hold brief for buhari or anyone. I'm also a victim of this "change". I'm also buying food at crazy prices. The difference is that I know what the problems are and I know exactly who is responsible. I know who the idiot is that came to LAGOS and gave money from our reserves to Obas for a stupid campaign. I know the idiot that told the national assembly he wanted to use USD2.2 billion to fight a war and ended up sharing the money to his party brothers, money that we desperately need now!
We all know that idiot. Let's put the blame for our problems where we should put it.
Removing fuel subsidy and deregulating the market will not build the needed refineries cos the oil marketers will always take the easy way out. Like i replied another poster on here, the smart approach would have been to strong-arm the independent oil marketers into setting up modular refineries or have their licenses not renewed upon expiration (this should be within a given time frame).

Rice has always been produced in Nigeria, we simply do not produce enough, we lack the necessary storage and processing facilities and nothing has changed.
The rice revolution is only happening on the internet (i'm hopeful it'll translate to cheaper prices though).
Blaming the last Administration is not enough cos this present one has done nothing different from the last one.

1 Like

Re: Buhari’s Economic Policies Not Working –MAN, NLC, TUC, Others by Ohamzee: 3:05pm On Oct 22, 2016
sarrki:

Many are quick to point fingers
Some had uncountable failed relationship
And will come out to rain insult on our GCFR
idiot

2 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Economic Policies Not Working –MAN, NLC, TUC, Others by duni04(m): 3:07pm On Oct 22, 2016
porozhniy:
Removing fuel subsidy and deregulating the market will not build the needed refineries cos the oil marketers will always take the easy way out. Like i replied another poster on here, the smart approach would have been to strong-arm the independent oil marketers into setting up modular refineries or have their licenses not renewed upon expiration (this should be within a given time frame).

Rice has always been produced in Nigeria, we simply do not produce enough, we lack the necessary storage and processing facilities and nothing has changed.
The rice revolution is only happening on the internet (i'm hopeful it'll translate to cheaper prices though).
Blaming the last Administration is not enough cos this present one has done nothing different from the last one.
No need to strong arm anyone. Dangote is building a refinery in LAGOS that can cater to the demand of the entire west Africa. That should end this refinery discussion.
To say nothing has changed with the rice situation is being disingenuous and annoying. Nigeria currently produces more than 3million metric tonnes of rice. Demand is 5 million. We import the shortfall. We will surpass this demand and may even become a net exporter of rice in the coming months if we have a good harvest season.
I hate having any kind of argument or discussion with close minded people who will still remain dogmatic even after you present them with evidence to the contrary. Plus I have absolutely no idea why people wish things get worse in Nigeria and attack anyone that tries to make things better. At the same time you see them here praising those bastards that plundered the country and got us to the situation we're in. Are you people cursed?
Re: Buhari’s Economic Policies Not Working –MAN, NLC, TUC, Others by Ohamzee: 3:14pm On Oct 22, 2016
sarrki:

How sure are you that we practice same religion

I don't care any religion a good man practices

All I want is sincere and purposeful leadership

Which i see in my Commander in chief

I am and will not use religion as a yard stick to select

My leader.

As it stands today Nigeria is a secular state

come...who released you? oya calm down calm down calm down. its okay its okay. i understand but chill we shall avenge u come 2019

2 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Economic Policies Not Working –MAN, NLC, TUC, Others by Ohamzee: 3:17pm On Oct 22, 2016
sarrki:

Morning bro
Pmb is cleaning the mess of the failed govt of Gej
Which Jonathan himself agree to
op can u see that maggot in his head?

2 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Economic Policies Not Working –MAN, NLC, TUC, Others by porozhniy(m): 4:31pm On Oct 22, 2016
duni04:

No need to strong arm anyone. Dangote is building a refinery in LAGOS that can cater to the demand of the entire west Africa. That should end this refinery discussion.
To say nothing has changed with the rice situation is being disingenuous and annoying. Nigeria currently produces more than 3million metric tonnes of rice. Demand is 5 million. We import the shortfall. We will surpass this demand and may even become a net exporter of rice in the coming months if we have a good harvest season.
I hate having any kind of argument or discussion with close minded people who will still remain dogmatic even after you present them with evidence to the contrary. Plus I have absolutely no idea why people wish things get worse in Nigeria and attack anyone that tries to make things better. At the same time you see them here praising those bastards that plundered the country and got us to the situation we're in. Are you people cursed?

No need getting worked up. The thrust of this argument has been a distinct lack of economic direction under this administration,which you failed to disprove. As for the rice situation, i suggest you take a look at this report.
http://gain.fas.usda.gov/Recent%20GAIN%20Publications/Grain%20and%20Feed%20Annual_Lagos_Nigeria_4-21-2016.pdf.
I ask again how has this administration been different from the last one?
Re: Buhari’s Economic Policies Not Working –MAN, NLC, TUC, Others by duni04(m): 4:48pm On Oct 22, 2016
porozhniy:

No need getting worked up. The thrust of this argument has been a distinct lack of economic direction under this administration,which you failed to disprove. As for the rice situation, i suggest you take a look at this report.
http://gain.fas.usda.gov/Recent%20GAIN%20Publications/Grain%20and%20Feed%20Annual_Lagos_Nigeria_4-21-2016.pdf.
I ask again how has this administration been different from the last one?
I have repeated the same thing to you and you keep asking the same thing. What kind of policy direction do you want again? I've explained the refinery thing to you. I forgot to even add that buhari in 18 months did what Jonathan didn't have the balls to do in 6 years. Nigeria was bleeding financially because of the corrupt fuel subsidy scheme. The corruption in the subsidy scheme even got worse under Jonathan. We got rid if petrol subsidy because we had a president who had the balls to say enough is enough. I pay crazy to fill my tank every week. Sometimes I even try to manage my fuel and restrict my movements so I end up spending less than N5000 a week. But its better than spending the whole day on a queue. Is that not an economic policy?
Or the budget support facility initiated by the Finance ministry where the states get a stimulus package from the FG if they meet certain fiscal conditions, improve on their budgeting and generate more revenues for themselves. Or the reforms in the FIRS that has been augmenting Federal revenues since the dip in oil prices.
Don't just argue for the sake of arguing. Its very irritating. Don't be an enemy of progress and more importantly try to be on the right side of history. Nigeria is moving forward whether you people (for whatsoever reason) like it or not.

Your link didn't open.
Re: Buhari’s Economic Policies Not Working –MAN, NLC, TUC, Others by smirn(m): 4:50pm On Oct 22, 2016
If we really look at the complains from the NLC, MAN, TUC and others, it is very clear that they themselves have no better suggestion to arrest the issue on ground. The only thing I can see is all about enabling environment for investors, relax restrictions on importation and make forex available. In all the views, they is no clear suggestion on how to make forex available or how to create a friendly environment to woo investors. It could have been helpful if these unions come out clearly with what solution they think will work. They can lobby for favourable polices if they have any. The truth remains that the major problem facing our economy today is the issue of scarce foreign exchange. With experience in the manufacturing sector, almost all manufacturer depend 90% on forex to import raw materials, machinery, spare parts and including expertriates. With scarcity of forex, they are been challenged to function optimally. When the going was sweet, surplus forex and the ease of getting it, these manufacturer were unable to grow their source locally. They were declaring profit without planning on how to channel their earnings to encourage local production of their major needs in the sector. What impart did MAN made to boost agriculture in the country to provided raw materials for its members or what research program did they sponsor in our tertiary institutions for manpower development to support their operations? The truth be made evident that our problem today is simply our inability to sustain importations of raw materials, machines, skilled labour, finished goods etc due to scarcity of dollar resulting from unstable low cost and low output of our only source of foreign earning which is crude oil.
Re: Buhari’s Economic Policies Not Working –MAN, NLC, TUC, Others by monex(m): 5:21pm On Oct 22, 2016
sarrki:

Check all the comments above is just from a particular

Section of the country

Why the hatred for pmb ?

So they want everyone to hate him ?

NO

I now understand why the presidency can be so distant from the truth. I see why GEJ turned a blind eye to the glaring corruption permeated in his government. it is because of people like you. Media agents who fail to tell your bosses the truth.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Economic Policies Not Working –MAN, NLC, TUC, Others by phantom24: 5:41pm On Oct 22, 2016
The nation needs to pray....this man is simply a curse to this nation. Funny enough is that he doesn't evn understand what you guys are complaining about. grin

1 Like

Re: Buhari’s Economic Policies Not Working –MAN, NLC, TUC, Others by biggy26: 5:52pm On Oct 22, 2016
sarrki:

Forget it

Did Jonathan performed to have your support back then?

Don't come and preach story for me

If not for anything I scored him 75%

For exposing how corrupt our system is

Guy, if u no know wetin to write just read. So its pmb that revealed to u d corruption in d system? congrats!! Even your judgement is corrupt and people like u are d ones that make up d system.

This same MAN, praised pmb when he just entered, but now their eyes have cleared and are now saying it as it is. Bro. wake up and smell d coffee.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Economic Policies Not Working –MAN, NLC, TUC, Others by diplomatist: 6:02pm On Oct 22, 2016
Ummm. Am just dey watch
Re: Buhari’s Economic Policies Not Working –MAN, NLC, TUC, Others by Nobody: 6:58pm On Oct 22, 2016
sarrki:

Forget it

Did Jonathan performed to have your support back then?

Don't come and preach story for me

If not for anything I scored him 75%

For exposing how corrupt our system is
I have seen a guy who looks like almajiri boy that i saw in the north this morning begging. They were many begging a man in his Jeep but what i noticed about this particular boy is, is natural beggar, natural slave, natural follower no matter the situation he will not stop being a slave...to anyone that put akamu inside is bowl
Re: Buhari’s Economic Policies Not Working –MAN, NLC, TUC, Others by Cletus77(m): 9:53pm On Oct 22, 2016
no cause for quarelling guys, just tank God dat Nigeria has returned to the largest economy in Africa, admist dis hard tymes...Now where are dose Kenyas??
Re: Buhari’s Economic Policies Not Working –MAN, NLC, TUC, Others by nezer83: 10:25pm On Oct 22, 2016
I thought they said he was a better man for the job and can turn Nigeria around in a very short time. Even the so called corruption still strive to high heavens.
Truth is the economy is not working.
Re: Buhari’s Economic Policies Not Working –MAN, NLC, TUC, Others by ofwest47(m): 10:52pm On Oct 22, 2016
MAN, NLC, TUC all of you should bury your heads in shame.
In a country where manufacturers imports more than 98% of their raw materials to run their industries even where a good percentage of those raw materials are available in the country, what efforts did the divided house called NLC did to encourage MAN to improve on the use of local contents in manufacturing all you no of the NLC is protests after protests shouting # solidarity for ever the TUC are not better as they are birds of the same feather flying together
Re: Buhari’s Economic Policies Not Working –MAN, NLC, TUC, Others by ofwest47(m): 10:53pm On Oct 22, 2016
MAN, NLC, TUC all of you should bury your heads in shame.
In a country where manufacturers imports more than 98% of their raw materials to run their industries even where a good percentage of those raw materials are available in the country, what efforts did the divided house called NLC did to encourage MAN to improve on the use of local contents in manufacturing all you no of the NLC is protests after protests shouting # solidarity for ever the TUC are not better as they are birds of the same feather flying together.
Re: Buhari’s Economic Policies Not Working –MAN, NLC, TUC, Others by mikolo80: 12:09am On Oct 23, 2016
chinjo:

It is sycophants like you that will make any leader not to succeed. You are still shouting sai Buhari when it is obvious that he has failed. The real problem of this country are the youths. I am very sure u have not eaten and typing from one China phone, free megabyte courtesy of MTN, GLO, AIRTEL and ETISALAT. I strongly believe that it is the same person that brainwashed shekau that has brainwashed u. Zombiesm is really the world deadliest disease. So pathetic.
how has he failed
Does anything good come easy
Can anything be accomplished with Jonathan type corruption
Why una no show all this power in the last 16 years of failure

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

INEC Budgets N1.9bn To Defend Buhari, Others’ Mandate In Court / Police Pad December 2020 Promotion List With Strange Names - Sahara Reporters / Man Arrested With 589 Voter's Cards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.