Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,998 members, 7,835,352 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:05 AM

Shareholders Have Lost Their Investments In Troubled Banks – Sanusi. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shareholders Have Lost Their Investments In Troubled Banks – Sanusi. (5126 Views)

Old Couple Who Lost Their Only Child To Boko Haram (photo) / Shettima Gives Parting Gifts To 600 Corps Members For Serving In Troubled Borno / Task Force Discovers Bomb Factory In Troubled Jos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shareholders Have Lost Their Investments In Troubled Banks – Sanusi. by dkings101(m): 11:53am On Oct 26, 2009
Nigerian don taya me oo. Na sin to be Nigerian? So wat would happen to my money na? Under which account e go enter na? They want to send ppl to early grave. Why is Nigeria not organised? I don't know wat to say again make I no begin cry.
Re: Shareholders Have Lost Their Investments In Troubled Banks – Sanusi. by otukpo(f): 1:26pm On Oct 26, 2009
Since this idea of SLS having a northern agenda came up, i have been looking for reasons to buy it, but haven't sen one.

For once in Nigeria, we shld look beyong tribal, ethnic and religious sentiments.

i have come to believe that SLS is doing what he is doing based on his passion to clean up the mess in the industry. there are so many other banks standing that are owned by the East and south.

Those that continue saying that SLS has a northern agenda, does it mean that u have not read the extent of fraud committed by these bank CEOs.

I tire for una. Must we always be blinded by sentiments that we can never be objective for once.

Look very well at the point SLS made on shareholders, if these banks were aloowed to distress, what happens to ur share. U get nothing. Many depositors wld have collapsed and died, leaving dependents helpless. It has been happening and if not for the intervention of CBN, it was bound to happen. Even if it is a taliban from afganistan that is here to do things right, can we accept the person just for that fact that he is a human being.

SLS may not be good at the way he says things publicly, but i guess its because of his passion level of criminality exhibited by the ex CEO's we entrusted our funds to. SLS shld learn to be diplomatic in his speeches but put evrything in action.

Those ex bank CEO s are worse than armed robbers, they deserve to spend the rest of their lives behind bars, with all their assets both home and abroad seized.

Enough of all this northern agenda propaganda

cvibe:

We are quick to talk about US banks receiving government bailout, but not quick to point out how many of those US bank CEO's gave out huge loans to themselves, families friends, or paid stockbrokers to fix their share prices on the stock market.

We are quick to forget things in this country. For too long, many families have been suffering from bank failures in Nigeria.
Previously, signs of an impending bank failure is that they start rationing money and imposing conditions on how much you can withdraw. Voila!, before you know it, they shut their doors and nothing will happen. Of recent memory was All States Trust Bank. What happened to the MD? Nada!, What happened to the shareholders? Nada! Did they file for bankruptcy as some people are mentioning on here? For where!

i agree with this. The Nigerian situation is not the same as US.
Re: Shareholders Have Lost Their Investments In Troubled Banks – Sanusi. by Druss(m): 1:48pm On Oct 26, 2009
A lot of bank workers on Nairaland!!
Re: Shareholders Have Lost Their Investments In Troubled Banks – Sanusi. by ud4u: 4:53pm On Oct 26, 2009
How can this man make such a silly comment coupled with the issue of shooting the CEO's dead. Na waa for this man.

The event is gradually unfolding, so he meant that all the share holders of those banks have loosed their shares, men this man must be joking.

written script indeed
Re: Shareholders Have Lost Their Investments In Troubled Banks – Sanusi. by ud4u: 4:59pm On Oct 26, 2009
Abeg I think say the man say in come to rescue the banks from collapsing, abi na take in come takam as Vanguard has predicted even before he assumed office.

This Country, This Country, This Country!!! cry cry cry I pity you
Re: Shareholders Have Lost Their Investments In Troubled Banks – Sanusi. by rhymz(m): 6:36pm On Oct 26, 2009
@Otukpo,
Nobody is saying the bank CEOs are saints or victims of a vindictive CBN gov,the crux of the matter here is that Mr Sanusi's methods were flawed right from the onslaught.
First,U are going to do an audit on all 24 bank,U did the first batch of ten without taking proper accessment of the problem holistically and waiting for the conclusion of the remaining,U hastily and summarily announced the sack and shortly after, arrest of the founding bank CEOs based on bad business decisions,lack of coperate practices,and so on(as if there was any such thing as a perfect system),then gave us assurance that the problems had been nipped in the bud with thier sack and illegal injection of public funds in whatever guise,when asked about what he would do if the other batch threw up thesame problem,he arrogantly explained and even hinted that the remaining banks won't throw any surprises and that their situation wasn't as severe as the first set of 5 banks only for him to later announce another strings of sack inspite of the early assurance he gave.The next thing he did again was to set out for the recovery process,he made another blunder,published names of both debtors and clients that had been servicing thier debts(he even tried to give the impression that borrowing huge sums was criminal),gave ultimatum to business men who where using borrowed funds from the banks to fund projects of long term economic importance and had not yet started making any profit or even started production without stating to the public if these loans where long term,medium term or short term loans(fact is, u don't expect them to make or service loans when the borrowed capital hasn't started yielding any profit or when production hasn't begun)fine,some of them outrightly did't have any intention of payment likewise some of them where being owed by thesame FG breathing down their neck to pay back.The problems of our banks wasn't solely that of the CEOs management style or lack of funds,remember before Sanusi came there had been a crash in our capital market and the ripple effect affected just abt every sector of the economy then came the the devastating worldwide financial crunch which had very big banks crumbling under thier weight and these delt a devastating blow on all our banks and big biz men and businesses as credit lines were not forth coming from those big banks.The US took the lead with a whooping $720 billion rescue plan whose merit,method of disbursment and plans of strictier measures was argued at the congress before the FRB was authorised to disburse the money,same thing happened to other economies in europe and some part of asia,while all these where going,especially in the US,the FRB was objective with thier plans,made thorough research and wide consultations,of course they gave out information on what they were doing and the actual state of things without unneccessarily heating up the system and crying doom all the time.
Our dear CBN gov started out without taking cognizance of how interconnected the whole problem was,on several occassions, he made judgemental errors,made decisions based on public opinions,religious piety and unrealistic personal convictions not based on professionalsm.For instance,any professional in his field will know that making such decisions few months after the stock Mrk crashed was going to further make ppl apprehensive and lose confidence,he did'nt stop there,he started playing to the gallery and forgot that the banking business is a business that thrives on thrust and not too many unneccessary detailed information that could send anyone with monies in nigerian banks to mental asylum.Sanusi needs to realise that while he is busy tackling the problem,certain detailed information should remain with the CBN and other associated parastatals.He should take his time to make proper assesment before granting interviews or taking decisions,he is always double speaking,so erratic that you get the impressesion that this guy acts most of the times on guts feelings,sometimes I doubt if he seeks other professional opinions before rushing to say things that he will later change again.
When the issue of the CBN giving monies to these banks came up,ppl feared that they were making plans to either nationalize those banks(which to me is another way of redistributing ownership and shareholdings to some powerful northern interest as they make the bulk of the political ruling elite in politics and in power) or devalue their worth,displace the shareholders and selling to some proxies of northern elite.Believe it or not these are realities,Sanusi might not have that intention but who says he can't be wittingly used to achieve such.It will be a folly for any nigerian to assume that tribal politics of dominance and redistribution is not at play in every thing we do in this country.
I rest my case.
rhymz.
Re: Shareholders Have Lost Their Investments In Troubled Banks – Sanusi. by kristonium(m): 10:21pm On Oct 30, 2009
Sanusi,watch it!
Remember Ribadu!
Re: Shareholders Have Lost Their Investments In Troubled Banks – Sanusi. by lashontae(f): 12:22am On Dec 09, 2009
OMG! Am seein my investments crumble to dust be4 my very eyes! First forex, now my shares. WWWWWHHHHYYYYYYY? Somethin's gotta give!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Made $500million From Oil Block, But Didn’t Know How To Spend It —T.Y. Danjuma / Reno Omokri's Question On Nigerian Roads: Same Or Improved? / EXCLUSIVE: President Who Owns 150 Cows, Set To Declare N879 Million In Assets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.