Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,350 members, 7,819,250 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:18 PM

Almost Perfect#nlwriters - Literature (44) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Almost Perfect#nlwriters (231006 Views)

The Connection Is Now..( For All Nlwriters) / Aja 2 (story Of The Dogs) #nlwriters / Secrets #nlwriters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (70) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by bibijay123(f): 5:42pm On Nov 28, 2016
Dedicated to queentoks, tunjilomo, lawlahdey[i][/i], jefferyjamez, AyamStarch, Emzy90.

Chapter Twenty

Uche

I heard the living room door creak open. Mama had gone out very early that morning and I had felt Ill at ease because she hadn't informed me of where she was going.

" Mama is that you?" I asked.

" What happened Mama?" I heard Chidubem ask, walking into the living room." Why's there blood on your cloth?"

" blood?" I asked. I sprang up and knocked over the cup of water placed in front of me. I tried to pick up my stick but ended up hitting my big toe against the stool and I cussed loudly. This week was a very bad one, Sly had stepped aside as Dupe's lawyer for reasons known to him alone and my heart didn't go with the new lawyer assigned to her case but Sly had reassured me that he was a thoroughbred and seasoned lawyer. No evidence which could set Dupe free had come to light yet and my migraine and nightmares had also returned.Where was Mama coming from and why was there blood on her cloth?

Mama started whimpering,her whimpers gradually escalated into a heart wrenching sob and I felt my way towards her. I reached for her hand and pulled her towards the couch. I sat her down gently, and wiped away her tears with my palm. Did something happen to Dupe? was Mama involved in an accident?

" Mama are you hurt?" I asked, she continued sobbing and I drew her into my arms. " Dubem, is she hurt? "

" No. But she's got blood all over her blouse. Mama what happened to you?" Dubem asked.

" Mama please talk to me..." I said.

" Uche.....Uche...." She started and burst into tears again." Our prayer group decided to protest and demand for Dupe to be released since we all know that she is innocent." She sighed heavily, " God can you see this? Why are you allowing all these to happen to us, why us Lord?"

" Mama!That's a bad idea!" I shouted." You should have told me before you all went ahead with it.Was someone hurt during the protest?"

" It was a peaceful protest o. We were singing and begging for them to release her. We went to the Governor's office at the secretariat.Then some police officers came out and asked us to leave. We continued singing and begging, that the Governor should look into the matter for us. Then one of the officers shot into the air but he misfired and the bullet hit Dupe's mother. She's dead! Uche she's dead ooo. All she wanted was for her pregnant daughter to be set free. But they killed her instead," She wailed at the top of her lungs.

I tried to make sense of what Mama just said. Dupe's mother was shot dead and Dupe was pregnant with my child! I felt my lips quiver, my body shook uncontrollably and I felt my head swoon. My heartbeat was racing faster than normal and I felt a burning sensation in my chest. My breath caught in my throat and it was coming out in heavy pants. I felt my chest constrict painfully and I clutched my chest with my hand. I slumped to the ground, Mama screamed and tried to hold me. Dubem raced to my side and pulled me up. I felt my eyelids closing painfully, I tried to resist whatever was pulling me away but I couldn't.
Sylvester

" Do you know what you are doing?" Annie asked.

I was letting the dogs out of their cage when I heard Annie's voice, I whirled around and stood up from my squatting position.

" What do you want Annie?" I asked. She had a newspaper in her right hand while her left hand clutched a small black purse.

" Sylvester do you know what you are doing?" She asked, using my first name for the first time. She threw the newspaper at me and I caught it midair. I looked at it and wondered why she brought me a newspaper so early in the morning. I turned it over to the front page and I was shocked. There was a picture of a woman lying in a pool of blood, the caption underneath it sent a chill up my spine. I read through the story and I felt like murdering someone.

Why did the women from Dupe's church embark on such foolish journey? Who was the stupid officer that shot her? I ran my fingers through my hair in anger. Things were becoming more complicated, we haven't been able to get the police to arrest Funmi and nor find another suspect. Dupe had even refused to see me, so I couldn't reassure her that I didn't give up on her.

" Where is her corpse? there's a case here." I said.

" Is that all you can say? That is Dupe's mother laying dead in a pool of her own blood! and all you can say is that there's a case to be pursued? What have you done with your heart?"

" Damn! Annie, I am not good in letting out my emotions. I....."

" Whatever you want to say, save it. I am not surprised. After all you killed a woman at the age of seventeen. You are not different from the officer who shot that poor woman."

Her words felt like a physical blow but I guessed I deserved it.

" Does Dupe know?" I asked. " She must not know of this,"

She sighed heavily." Uche is in the hospital. He had a heart attack so I don't think she knows about her mother's death yet but we have all decided to keep it from her. When is she going to trial?"

" Next week." I replied tersely.

" I only hope you won't regret stepping aside as her lawyer." She said.

" I trust Bidemi Bankole. He will bring her out, he's never lost a case before." I said.

" He's a known womanizer " Annie retorted.

" That doesn't stop him from being a good lawyer. What have you got against him?" I asked.

" I hope you know what you are doing. Don't toy with her life." Annie said, and walked away leaving me to my thoughts.

Bidemi Bankole and I had worked on a case before. He was a good lawyer and I had faith in him.
Dupe

It had been three days. I haven't seen Uche or my mother in three days. I was becoming leaner as each day goes by. My back ached terribly, my head hurt all the time and nothing could stay in my stomach for a second. I was always rushing to the little toilet in a corner of the cell to puke. I had tried talking to the baby, mommy had to eat and keep the food in so that you could grow well but she doesn't listen to me. It was like she was determined to punish me for some crime or offence I didn't know I committed. My lawyer had hurriedly left the other day when I puked on him. It had happened so suddenly and the officers had thought I did it deliberately.

They had shoved me back into the cell with such a force that I felt my head spin. I could feel my collar bone sticking out now, I was so weak and tired and I had run out of my medications. I don't know why Uche hadn't been to see me but I knew something was wrong. If he couldn't come see me, his mother or my own mother would have been to see me. I hoped that he was alright and I prayed for him every night.

" Visitor! " An officer said, unlocking the cell.

I stood up gently and she took hold of my hand. She was the kindest of the officers and she often gave me words of encouragement. She led me to the waiting room where Funmi was and the female officer stood at a discreet distance. I didn't know how I felt seeing her again, her pregnancy was more pronounced and her skin looked darker.

" Dupe, you look so pale." She said.

" Why are you here?" I asked, sitting down.

" Uche had an heart attack. He's at the hospital" She said without emotions.

" It's a lie. Why are you doing this, Funmi? What did I do to you? You are my best friend! My childhood friend! How could you betray me so? why do you keep hurting me?"

" I don't know what you are talking about. Are we still beating this same old horse? I thought we are over it and that is why I came to see you. I thought you might want to know that your mother was shot and she died on the spot. Uche is also at the hospital, I won't come here again if you don't want me to." She hissed out.

" Wait, My .....my mother is....dead?" I asked in disbelief. Was she lying?

" That's by the way. As your friend, I want you to make me the legal guardian of your child. Should in case you didn't make it out of here, your mind will be at peace that your child is in good hands."

" You want.....my child?" I asked dazedly. The news of my mother's death had ripped away my soul from my body."

" Yes. It is for your own good, I think you should have a talk with Uche as well. Tell him to marry me."

My eyes widended in shock. "Why?"

" The marriage will be in name only, so that I can also care for him too. There's no way he would be able to take care of himself in your absence and his mother won't live forever, you know." She threw back at me.

I felt the blood in my veins ran hot, she was truly the devil. I grabbed hold of her hair and yanked on it with all my might. She yelped and we both tumbled to the floor. My mouth found one of her ears and I bit on it hard, until I felt her blood on my tongue. The officer tried to yank me off her but I shrugged her off and I dug my nails into Funmi's eyes.

I felt powerful hands lift me off the traitor groaning on the floor. The officers dragged me off to my cell while Funmi's cries of 'she's gone mad' filled my ears. The officers kicked me into the cell and locked the gate. I slumped to the ground as tears streamed down my cheeks. Just as Job in the bible refused to curse God and die, I wouldn't too. But it was getting too much to bear, oh my poor mother. My mother was gone, I thought helplessly.

TBC

20 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by bibijay123(f): 5:43pm On Nov 28, 2016
Maltaleeza:
Finally caught up. Bibi, u are doing a nice job

Thank you ma, cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by JeffreyJamez(m): 6:03pm On Nov 28, 2016
I stopped reading at the part you killed Dupe's mum.... That twist wasn't necessary IMO.

Lemme go and clear my head, then I will read it later.... For now, this update no just go down well with me.

Modified:...Funny walked I to the police station Bibi why wasn't she arrested?! ......come.and explain abeg!

1 Like

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by maggilove(f): 6:03pm On Nov 28, 2016
Bibijay123,this is another twine abi. Pls help Dupe because of Uche. All of them in this story have gone through a lot. This story must not have a happy ending like all your story does but to be realistic the way the story is it must be a tragi_comedy if you can work on it. We want to know what happened to Uche's dad.

1 Like

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by Nobody: 6:04pm On Nov 28, 2016
Funmi deserves to rot in hell

Dupe please don't miscarry and Uche, please survive the attack.

This is like a daytime horror movie

Blazing update m'Lady

1 Like

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by MhizSuccess(f): 6:05pm On Nov 28, 2016
I pray God sees Dupe thru. Nyc work Bibi

1 Like

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by embodiment: 6:10pm On Nov 28, 2016
Bibijay123 you are doing a great job. This chapter got at me...man inhumanity to man. Funmi is very cynical, I hope she reaps all her evil deeds. There are questions which beg for answers. How will funmi walk into a police station unnoticed without being caught? Funmi is the prime suspect here, did she bribe her way in? Everyone thinks she is at large. She has visited twice. Why has she not being apprehended? I hope this questions are answered in your next update

1 Like

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by bibijay123(f): 6:16pm On Nov 28, 2016
JeffreyJamez:
I stopped reading at the part you killed Dupe's mum.... That twist wasn't necessary IMO.

Lemme go and clear my head, then I will read it later.... For now, this update no just go down well with me.

Modified:...Funny walked I to the police station Bibi why wasn't she arrested?! ......come.and explain abeg!

She wasn't a suspect n they weren't looking for her. It was sly who hired a Pi to find something to pin her down. N as for Dupe's mom, no be twist joor. Na so d plot be.

1 Like

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by bibijay123(f): 6:17pm On Nov 28, 2016
maggilove:
Bibijay123,this is another twine abi. Pls help Dupe because of Uche. All of them in this story have gone through a lot. This story must not have a happy ending like all your story does but to be realistic the way the story is it must be a tragi_comedy if you can work on it. We want to know what happened to Uche's dad.

Lol. Uche's dad? He died.

1 Like

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by maggilove(f): 6:18pm On Nov 28, 2016
bibijay123:

Lol. Uche's dad? He died.
Sly's dad aka papa love
Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by bibijay123(f): 6:19pm On Nov 28, 2016
maggilove:
Sly's dad aka papa love

OK you embarassed wee know. cheesy
Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by JeffreyJamez(m): 6:22pm On Nov 28, 2016
bibijay123:

She wasn't a suspect n they weren't looking for her. It was sly who hired a Pi to find something to pin her down. N as for Dupe's mom, no be twist joor. Na so d plot be.

The plot pain me sha cry.....her mama no supposed die jor

1 Like

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by bibijay123(f): 6:24pm On Nov 28, 2016
JeffreyJamez:

The plot pain me sha cry.....her mama no supposed die jor

No vex, na so life be. Make we sha dey careful if not a single mistake could wipe out a whole family embarassed

1 Like

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by JeffreyJamez(m): 6:26pm On Nov 28, 2016
bibijay123:

No vex, na so life be. Make we sha dey careful if not a single mistake could wipe out a whole family embarassed

No be so life be jor... Lol
Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by bibijay123(f): 6:29pm On Nov 28, 2016
embodiment:
Bibijay123 you are doing a great job. This chapter got at me...man inhumanity to man. Funmi is very cynical, I hope she reaps all her evil deeds. There are questions which beg for answers. How will funmi walk into a police station unnoticed without being caught? Funmi is the prime suspect here, did she bribe her way in? Everyone thinks she is at large. She has visited twice. Why has she not being apprehended? I hope this questions are answered in your next update

So even if the family thinks she's a suspect but since she has a strong alibi she can't be arrested nau.Funmi was with Uche and his mother when the crime was perpetrated. She can only be questioned n if they are satisfied, they will let her go but if not she wld be detained. Do Nigerian police really investigate cases? especially when someone like Dupe has made their job easy for dem. She's not a suspect, but Sly is trying to gather dirt on her so she could be arrested.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by embodiment: 6:35pm On Nov 28, 2016
bibijay123:

Wow! This story is didactic. We need to be wary of friends. I have learnt never to think highly of my friends, when they fall below my expectation. I comfort myself with this words, am not surprise rather am disappointed.
Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by embodiment: 6:40pm On Nov 28, 2016
[quote author=bibijay123 post=51459251]
I hope he is able to garner as much information to bring her to book. I'm crying hysterically as I type. This torture is too much
Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by tunjilomo(m): 6:40pm On Nov 28, 2016
Hmmm I dont trust aunty bibi,maybe anoda character dey come soon,and she just dey use funmi hold us.
Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by crazygod(m): 6:40pm On Nov 28, 2016
Na Mabel cause all this rubbish o. Why will u go and teach Funmi how to masturbate..,..... Now see the effect of masturbation.
My people, masturbation will ruin your life and ur loved ones too. That singular act set off this series of misfortune that's happening to Dupe. cry cry cry cry cry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by toboski1(m): 6:48pm On Nov 28, 2016
Bibi just tell me why you are like this ehn? are you trying to say Funmi killed dupe's mum?
I don't like this episode wahlai
Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by dominique(f): 6:56pm On Nov 28, 2016
Bibi whyyyyy!!! Why did you have to kill off Dupe's mum? cry
I hope Dupe doesn't miscarry, she's going through a hell of a lot.

1 Like

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by adebriana(f): 6:57pm On Nov 28, 2016
This episode is just depressing. Please bibi, enough with the tragedy, let something good happen to Dupe for a change.
Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by queentosks(f): 7:12pm On Nov 28, 2016
Tnx for d dedication bibi,really appreciate. But m so sad at d turn out of events embarassed

1 Like

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by Nobody: 7:17pm On Nov 28, 2016
And people will be telling me I've trust issues. Dupe you see what too much trust have caused you. Someone that was masturbating and moaning under your roof, you still accommodated her. Friendship gbakwa ọkụ. Your friend can be your worst enemy. Nice work bibijay123. Lemme kukuma send this link to hubby.

1 Like

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by bibijay123(f): 7:23pm On Nov 28, 2016
tunjilomo:
Hmmm I dont trust aunty bibi,maybe anoda character dey come soon,and she just dey use funmi hold us.
Lol shocked

1 Like

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by bibijay123(f): 7:23pm On Nov 28, 2016
dominique:
Bibi whyyyyy!!! Why did you have to kill off Dupe's mum? cry
I hope Dupe doesn't miscarry, she's going through a hell of a lot.
Sis, you ve got mail.

1 Like

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by bibijay123(f): 7:24pm On Nov 28, 2016
Prettyhurts:
And people will be telling me I've trust issues. Dupe you see what too much trust have caused you. Someone that was masturbating and moaning under your roof, you still accommodated her. Friendship gbakwa ọkụ. Your friend can be your worst enemy. Nice work bibijay123. Lemme kukuma send this link to hubby.

Thank you ma, I hope hubby enjoys d story too.

2 Likes

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by Emzy90(m): 8:03pm On Nov 28, 2016
thanks for d dedication bibi #loyal...dupe mum dead? can't blive it...d problems are 2much for dupe na coupled with d torture from funmi..,..its nt fair...#crying
Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by dominique(f): 8:29pm On Nov 28, 2016
bibijay123:

Sis, you ve got mail.

Seen and replied
Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by Perfectionist11: 9:13pm On Nov 28, 2016
How could Funmi walk in & out of the police station...gosh,,!!a police station & not a play station!!..our security system ain't that bad....she's d prime suspect..and about Dupe's mum death..though when protests occur some policemen may become irrational..but they must use CS gas also known as tear gas b4 any weapon..anyone else could have been killed...moreover Dupe's mum could only be in coma.(Just in case u wanna add 2 her grief)..

Your twisting mechanism is weird..but you're a talented writer no doubt..and I enjoy your work..maybe its the perfectionist in me that's blabbing!!..though ma heart is fragile and cannot withstand much heartbreak for a sweet character..(Dupe)

Though stories should be somehow close to reality so that readers can create the images in their head and understand ye berra..God bless!

1 Like

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by Emzy90(m): 9:21pm On Nov 28, 2016
Perfectionist11:
How could Funmi walk in & out of the police station...gosh,,!!a police station & not a play station!!..our security system ain't that bad....she's d prime suspect..and about Dupe's mum death..though when protests occur some policemen may become irrational..but they must use CS gas also known as tear gas b4 any weapon..anyone else could have been killed...moreover Dupe's mum could only be in coma.(Just in case u wanna add 2 her grief)..

Your twisting mechanism is weird..but you're a talented writer no doubt..and I enjoy your work..maybe its the perfectionist in me that's blabbing!!..though ma heart is fragile and cannot withstand much heartbreak for a sweet character..(Dupe)

Though stories should be somehow close to reality so that readers can create the images in their head and understand ye berra..God bless!

ya she is everyone prime suspect but the law don't arrest someone base on assumption

1 Like

Re: Almost Perfect#nlwriters by Tife101(m): 9:22pm On Nov 28, 2016
The update no even make me smile at all. Why u kill Dupe Mama na? Dupe has really gone through a lot. Please, put a smile on her face. Na u fit do am. You be d madam twister.

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (70) (Reply)

The Thomas....(a Family) / Short, Witty Quotes! / Memoirs Of A Yoruba Demon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.